Radio Shack STB Clearance Sale - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 752 Old 09-12-2005, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I found an extra long 12 foot GE optical cable at Target for $15. That's cheaper than most 3 and 6 foot cables. I don't have to worry about it slipping out when I move it.

Thanks, moxie, for the info. This STB is so much better than the Samsung SIR-T351 I had just gotten off eBay a couple weeks ago. I just sold it for what I paid for the Accurian.

I watched all the NFL games and the US Open, and they looked and sounded great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 752 Old 09-12-2005, 10:05 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkin View Post

I've had this unit for a few days. The problem is that every once in a while the picture freezes and the audio starts 'stuttering.' Powering off and up cures it everytime. It doesn't appear to be a signal issue. For example, Strength 86, S/N 30. Thoughts?

Just bought one for my dad and his unit has the same problem with two channels. Every single time I change to those two channels, the unit will lock up and the audio "stutters". The only way to stop this is to power down and change the channel quickly, before it locks into the signal.

This happens all the time with these two Fox channels. Could it be a bad unit? I believe that the one we got was a returned unit, since the bag holding the hardware was a ziplock bag and it was all wrinkled. If it was a new unit, the bag shouldn't be that way! I will adjust the outside antenna and see if this solves the problem. Else, it is going back for an exchange.

Also, I can not get the component connection working with the TV. I know that the Toshiba Rear Projection supports 480p and that I moved the switch on the back to 480p, but there is no picture on the TV? On the DVD player, I connected the 480p component video out and it works, so the TV can handle this signal. It is just that the STB, with 480p settings gives no picture. At this moment, I have it connected via composite and this works.

Other than these two problems and the remote being real weak, the picture is great (even with composite video!).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #93 of 752 Old 09-12-2005, 10:09 AM

[quote=
Also, I can not get the component connection working with the TV. I know that the Toshiba Rear Projection supports 480p and that I moved the switch on the back to 480p, but there is no picture on the TV? On the DVD player, I connected the 480p component video out and it works, so the TV can handle this signal. It is just that the STB, with 480p settings gives no picture. At this moment, I have it connected via composite and this works.
[/QUOTE]

I also have a Toshibe Rear Projector 61" and NO STB works in the 480p they have to be set to 1080I resoulation. or no picture.
post #94 of 752 Old 09-12-2005, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyde View Post

I also have a Toshibe Rear Projector 61" and NO STB works in the 480p they have to be set to 1080I resoulation. or no picture.

Thanks Klyde but I think I moved the switch to all three positions and there was still no picture. Do I need to power down the STB before moving the switch?

Thanks!
post #95 of 752 Old 09-12-2005, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
When I move the switch on mine, I can instantly see my projector re-sync to the new resolution... both are powered up obviously.

reap
post #96 of 752 Old 09-12-2005, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by The4thDoctor View Post

Just bought one for my dad and his unit has the same problem with two channels. Every single time I change to those two channels, the unit will lock up and the audio "stutters". The only way to stop this is to power down and change the channel quickly, before it locks into the signal.

This happens all the time with these two Fox channels. Could it be a bad unit? I believe that the one we got was a returned unit, since the bag holding the hardware was a ziplock bag and it was all wrinkled. If it was a new unit, the bag shouldn't be that way! I will adjust the outside antenna and see if this solves the problem. Else, it is going back for an exchange.

Other than these two problems and the remote being real weak, the picture is great (even with composite video!).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't know where you live, but here in South Florida with Fox on 29 it happens exactly as you described. I have found that very careful antenna orientation will solve the problem. Just like you I show plenty of signal strength and after I reoriented the antenna I did not show any more signal strenth but the picture and audio were solid. Just my .02.

Chuck
post #97 of 752 Old 09-12-2005, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasw98 View Post

I don't know where you live, but here in South Florida with Fox on 29 it happens exactly as you described. I have found that very careful antenna orientation will solve the problem. Just like you I show plenty of signal strength and after I reoriented the antenna I did not show any more signal strenth but the picture and audio were solid. Just my .02.

Chuck

I live in West Boca, so I am fairly close to where you are. So the antenna orientation seems to be the key to keep if from locking up!

Now if I can figuire out why the component connections aren't working, that would solve both problems!

Ed
post #98 of 752 Old 09-12-2005, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4thDoctor View Post

Thanks Klyde but I think I moved the switch to all three positions and there was still no picture. Do I need to power down the STB before moving the switch?

Thanks!

What Toshiba model do you have? I have a TN61X81. Its native resolution on the componet inputs is 1080I.
Make sure that you have the cables in the correct order, make sure that you have selected the proper Video Input. There are 3 video inputs and 2 conponet inputs. If the cable order is incorrect you wont get a picture, if you have the wrong input selected, same problem. Have you ever seen a HD picture on this set with another HD source? Sorry for the basic questions, but we need a place to start.
post #99 of 752 Old 09-12-2005, 05:01 PM

Liked: 31
Just wondering: Does this STB tune in analog cable channels as well? I understand that it doesn't seem to decode QAM, but I'm trying to decide on either a commercial or consumer Panny PDP, and this may help the decision...

post #100 of 752 Old 09-12-2005, 07:28 PM

I've had it for a week and it works fine except FOX. For some reason, I don't get audio. The meter shows that I'm getting between 75-80 and 23-28db of audio. I would appreciate if somebody can help me out.
post #101 of 752 Old 09-12-2005, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronh View Post

Just wondering: Does this STB tune in analog cable channels as well?

Nope, only ATSC/8VSB, no analog cable, no digital cable, no NTSC OTA analog.
post #102 of 752 Old 09-12-2005, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundo Lopez View Post

I've had it for a week and it works fine except FOX. For some reason, I don't get audio. The meter shows that I'm getting between 75-80 and 23-28db of audio. I would appreciate if somebody can help me out.

I had the same problem with my fox channel (toledo WUPW 36) on saturday and all of sudden it works now.
post #103 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 04:52 AM
tig

Can this receiver from Radio Shack (Accurian
Model: HTS 6000
be used on a standad TV until I can afford a HD Monitor?

Thanks!
Bill
post #104 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post

Can this receiver from Radio Shack (Accurian Model: HTS 6000 be used on a standad TV until I can afford a HD Monitor?

Certainly. Post #3 says it has composite and S-video outputs, which only pass SD.

This is assuming your TV has A/V inputs, otherwise you'd need an RF modulator.
post #105 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 05:06 AM

Yes it outputs 480i through composite and s-video ports making it compatible with analog TV's.
post #106 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 06:27 AM
tig

Boy fast response! Thanks! Now all I have to do is find a store that has one!

Thanks ! Again!
Bill
post #107 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman84 View Post

I had the same problem with my fox channel (toledo WUPW 36) on saturday and all of sudden it works now.

I also have a problem with Fox in Chicago. When I first hooked the unit up I had the antenna gain on my RS 15-1880 all the way up and it would not receive Fox. When I turned the gain off, Fox was not a problem.

Since then, I moved the antenna up to the 2nd floor on the side of the house facing the antennas. The gain is set at max and twice I experienced the problem of excellent video and no audio on Fox. I can't remember the first occurence but the second happened while watching the Green Bay game Sunday. I had just watched the Bears lose on Fox in HD with audio and at the end of the game I went to CBS to watch the end of that game. When I went back to Fox there was no audio, video was great. I wasn't able to the check the analog audio outputs, but there was no audio on either the digital coax or HDMI. All other stations were fine.

I am wondering if when Fox is overpowered it screws up the PSIP data to the receiver and results in the Accurian having a brain cramp. It could be that Fox has something in their data stream that the Accurian can't handle well.

When I returned to Fox later that evening, approx 4hrs, everything was fine.
I am going to play with the antenna direction and gain settings and see if that helps. It's hard to figure this out because I only observed it twice. Next time I'll unplug the unit for a few minutes to see if that clears up the problem. I'm also going to see if I can get an in-line attenuator I can plug in near the unit to see if that helps.

Even with this problem, the Accurian experience with HD is much better than the one I had with Samsung.
post #108 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post

Boy fast response! Thanks! Now all I have to do is find a store that has one! Bill

The Radio Shack web site says there are no stores in my area that has any, however I called one store and they have 6 in stock, another had 4. So I would call the stores and ask.
post #109 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

It could be that Fox has something in their data stream that the Accurian can't handle well.

Even with this problem, the Accurian experience with HD is much better than the one I had with Samsung.

I watched Fox all day Sunday on the Accurian and didn't have any problems. It must be an overloaded signal on your end. I agree; the Accurian is much better than the Samsung I had before.
post #110 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Picked mine up in NoVA at lunchtime. It was the last one around for miles. One of the store managers laughed when I told him the model I was looking for, as he had gotten several calls looking for it. This is my first STB, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I have been looking for a reason to dump COMCAST cable. Wasn't really worth the extra cash. I will fire it up tonight and if all goes well, return the cable box tomorrow. Thanks for pointing out this great deal!
post #111 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPC View Post

I watched Fox all day Sunday on the Accurian and didn't have any problems. It must be an overloaded signal on your end. I agree; the Accurian is much better than the Samsung I had before.

I have trouble with one station it usually reads 39 on the meter and doesnt change. I get just a black screen.
It is the closest station to me, 13 miles PBS. If I turn the antenna 180 degrees I finally get it to lock in. All other stations are 55 miles and further away. I have no trouble with them.
post #112 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 01:42 PM

I picked one of these up at my local RS last night. I got it hooked up in time to watch the second half of MNF.

My only problem seems to be with the poor range of the remote. I was unable to get the remote to work at distances greater than about 8 feet. Earlier in this thread I saw some people complained about the poor remote response. Have others experienced this as well?

If I can work out the remote issue I think I'll keep the box since the price was so great.
post #113 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRHend View Post

I picked one of these up at my local RS last night. I got it hooked up in time to watch the second half of MNF.

My only problem seems to be with the poor range of the remote. I was unable to get the remote to work at distances greater than about 8 feet. Earlier in this thread I saw some people complained about the poor remote response. Have others experienced this as well?

If I can work out the remote issue I think I'll keep the box since the price was so great.

Its the remote. My Channel Master Rotor remote works it just fine. It myst be the IR led they use in it. It seems to be very critical where its pointed at the receiver. If you have a learning remote copy its codes to another remote. You can get one at walmart for $10 Also sometimes it gets hung up especially when its searching for a station lock and the remote doesnt work at all untill it settles down.
post #114 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 03:53 PM

I believe that the problem I have with FOX is on HD material only, SD programming is fine.
post #115 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundo Lopez View Post

I believe that the problem I have with FOX is on HD material only, SD programming is fine.

You know what that could be the problem. Cause when I checked FOX later it was running late night programming and it was not in HD. It very well could be the 8VSB compression fox is using that is causing this box to screw up.
post #116 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman84 View Post

You know what that could be the problem. Cause when I checked FOX later it was running late night programming and it was not in HD. It very well could be the 8VSB compression fox is using that is causing this box to screw up.

Is Fox the only station using it? Do all Fox HD stations use it?
post #117 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 07:20 PM

I had the exact same experience as moxie on Sunday. After watching Bears on Fox WFLD-32. Lost audio on the following GB game.
I would say something is definately up with Fox's signal, i hope this gets resolved otherwise it's a great little box. Moxie keep us posted on your tweaks.
post #118 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 07:58 PM
tig

Well I finally found one after calling several RS! Works great with a Yagi uhf Antenna! All the channels are 50 to 65 miles from me but unit locks on fine.
Thanks for info!
Bill
post #119 of 752 Old 09-13-2005, 08:13 PM

I called the store where I bought mine and spoke to the manager and told him that I was missing the manuals and he said that the guy on duty Sunday sold me the demo that was supposed to go back. So he's sending a new one to a storecloser. Im supposed to get it tomorrow. I also saw some on Ebay but you will have to pay about $20 more + shipping.
post #120 of 752 Old 09-14-2005, 11:36 AM
tig

I have a question was I suppose to get a HDMI to DVI cable with this converter or do I have to purchase one? If I need to purchase one where is the best place?

Thanks!
Bill
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page