Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1283 Old 01-31-2010, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

You won't get DD if you select HDMI as the audio out. In order to get DD then the box setting has to be DD, but if the if the TV or receiver can't decode DD over HDMI then you will get no sound. That's when you need to use one of the dedicated digital audio outputs on the box.

From what I was told, I would get dolby digital with the box set as HDMI audio. It doesn't matter if HDMI or dolby digital is selected.

So I think I am ok with select HDMI. But your telling me that HDMI setting won't pass DDigital? That I need to select DDigital and if my receiver doesn't get audio from HDMI then I need to use a digital coax or optical cable...? Does anyone know for sure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1283 Old 01-31-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarablue View Post

From what I was told, I would get dolby digital with the box set as HDMI audio. It doesn't matter if HDMI or dolby digital is selected.

That's not what it says in the instruction manual.
http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/su...s2/4003870.pdf
Page 2 of the manual (8 of the PDF)
post #1263 of 1283 Old 01-31-2010, 12:45 PM

I know it's sending dobly digital because my receiver is showing DDigital as the source on channels it's sending DD. And it shows PCM on channels that are sending 2 channel.

So HDMI on my box is sending the dolby digital signal...and I'm verifying by the receivers LCD panel. Thanks again for the help!

post #1264 of 1283 Old 01-31-2010, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have you tried selecting Dolby Digital on the cable box?
post #1265 of 1283 Old 01-31-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post

Have you tried selecting Dolby Digital on the cable box?

I have and used a optical and digital coax cable. The light are exactly the same. Except when using HDMI it says HDMI and when using toslink/dolby digital it says digital.
post #1266 of 1283 Old 02-08-2010, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi sorry if this has been answered already but I couldn't find it on a quick search.

Anyways I just got a new SA 8300HD installed with Time Warner Cable and have been having regular picture drops (ie. I hear a click and the picture goes black for 2-3 seconds while the sound stays on) every 30 minutes or so. I called TWC and they rebooted my box but that didn't work.

I have it connected to a Yamaha SC07 and a panamax power conditioner. I have the home theater equipment set up in a pantry closet about 30-40 feet from my TV running through the walls and connected with HDMI to Cat5 extenders.

Anyone have similar problems or any advice/solutions for this? TIA
post #1267 of 1283 Old 02-09-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
^^^Recently I've been getting dropouts, too, with NYC's TWC and a vintage 8300HD (Mystro Navigator). In the past, a cold boot (unplugging ~20 secs) has cured this; this may or may not differ from a warm boot (from head end, or using buttons only). Might check with a local cable thread here, if it exists (Local HDTV Info...), to see if others have the same problem. If it continues a tech needs to check signal levels at the STB and determine if it's system wide. -- John

EDIT: Might try disconnectiing, one by one, the various gadgets between the 8300HD and display, just as a check. Also, might try a YPrPb (<9') cable hookup, if possible. Hooked my new plasma up with HDMI initially but found component cables provided slightly better resolution using a DVRed HDNet test pattern.

EDIT2: A cold boot did stop the dropouts I mentioned yesterday.
post #1268 of 1283 Old 03-31-2010, 04:42 PM

Sorry if this has been answered, I've been reading the thread but it's pretty dense and a search within thread hasn't been as useful as I'd hoped.

My roommate and I both had hdtv's before we moved in to our apartment. Our bedrooms are each too small to accommodate our TV's so they are on opposite walls in the living room. The issue isn't so much that we change each otheres channel as we generally game on one tv and watch tube on the other. What is an issue, however, is that we are constantly deleting each others' dvr recordings inadvertantly. We both use harmony remotes, and I have a htpc connected to my TV. I'm sure there are many ways to address this issue, but I'm here to ask the experts.

Ideas I've had but haven't found any useful info on:

Is there a setting within this device to tell it to use a different set of codes?

OR

Does the IR port on the back allow me to plug in an "extender" of some kind that will let me position the IR eye someplace else?
(The thought being I extend each to place in the room with a limited "view" forcing you to point the remote at a specific place to control each tv)

Otherwise, I had some ideas involving the HTPC.
I'd prefer not to have to leave the PC on at all times to control the stb, but if I must....)

Can I connect usb or firewire to the box from my htpc, and then use that to send control codes to the stb? I have an IR eye that connects to my PC via usb. If I can send the control codes to the box via firewire or usb then I can use the remote to send IR codes to the PC (obviously different that those used by the box itself) which would then transmit the codes over firewire or USB?

I know I could use my IR blaster type device to do the same thing but that just seems like a huge undertaking from the perspective of all the remote programming that I'd have to do...

Ideas?
post #1269 of 1283 Old 04-02-2010, 07:20 AM

It may be easier if you simply swapped one of the 8300's for an RNG200 DVR if available. The RNG200 uses a different remote and a different set of remote codes.
post #1270 of 1283 Old 04-04-2010, 03:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatnutz View Post

I know I could use my IR blaster type device to do the same thing but that just seems like a huge undertaking from the perspective of all the remote programming that I'd have to do...

Ideas?

Might look into add-on RF attachments for just one remote that convert the IR output into RF (for through-the-walls use), then AIUI back into IR at the STB, (shielding the second-remote IR signals). Haven't tried this; just vaguely recall a suggestion years back for this solution. -- John
post #1271 of 1283 Old 04-25-2010, 01:44 PM

Hello Everybody,

I have a new Samsung PN50C550 connected to a TWC provided SA 8300HD DVR using an HDMI cable. (nothing else is connected). Everything works fine except when switching from a 1080i channel to a 720p channel. The TV seems to override or ignore the 8300HD and incorrectly changes the resolution. When this happens it looks expanded (SD?), with a black border on the left and the picture goes beyond the right extreme of the screen and gets cutoff. If the TV is turned off then on, it corrects itself. And, sometimes changing to a SD channel and then returning to a 720p or 1080i channel fixes it. The TV is set to 16:9.

A Time Warner Cable technical guy visited today and tried to debug the problem. He tried a different 8300HD box, and then a different HDMI cable. Nothing helped. Finally, he removed the HDMI cable and used a component video cable - that fixed the problem.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get the HDMI to work correctly? Does this sound like a problem with the DVR or the TV?

Thanks in advance.
post #1272 of 1283 Old 04-28-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Likely tried already, but here I'd go into the display menus and make sure they're set to 16X9, with no stretching, etc., for the HDMI input being used. Then I'd set the 8300HD for 1080i as the only output, testing the # remote key (scroll through options) to ensure zoom or stretch isn't activated. If it still happens, might be the set/HDMI creating the problem.

Tried HDMI briefly with my '09 plasma and 1080i-only as a STB output. No problems. But switched when I discovered YPbPr provided slightly better resolution (using HDNet's Sat. am test pattern). Use HDMI for a Sony PS3 Blu-ray input.

Yes, any display might upscale 720p and SD better than the 8300HD and might compare one of these days. But works fine to date, without any pauses for format conversion, when rapidly changing channels. -- John

EDIT: Reads like a horiz. position adjustment is set wrong for the display, too. My plasma has a staggering number of menu options, with the h-pos adjustment diagrammed to show left/right shifting.
post #1273 of 1283 Old 05-04-2010, 12:10 AM

I currently have a SA8300HD DVR from TWC running Navigator software. Frequently if I'm recording two shows and watching a 3rd, the fast forward function gets screwy.

If I try to fast forward the show, one of the following things will normally occur:

1. It will skip forward for a few seconds and then resume playback (despite me not hitting the play button).

2. Sometimes it will fast forward at 1x speed but if I try to go faster (on 2x or 3x) it will just resume playback.

Seems to be a bug related to the other recordings in progress. If I stop one of the recordings FF will usually function as normal.

Anyone else experience this and if so, is there a way to fix this? Needless to say its pretty annoying not being able to FF through commercials while watching recorded TV.
post #1274 of 1283 Old 05-27-2010, 11:38 AM

I'm having some issues with my SA STB following upgrading my TV from an older Toshiba 720p LCD to my new Panny 50G25 1080p-capable plasma. At least, I hope it's just the box, not the TV.

Stuff:
Panny 50G25
HD8300 DVR
Harman AVR-254
Comcast Cable

I'm getting severe artifacting (mostly horizontal banding/blockiness) which makes the picture unbearably jumpy and causes the audio to cut in and out. However, this is only occurring on HD channels, and then only on SOME HD channels, not all. For example, HBO HD is beautiful, but Fox News HD is awful. Local HD channels are great, but Spike HD garbage, and so on

I get the same effect whether displaying the signal over component (direct from STB to TV) or via HDMI (from STB, to AVR, to TV).

The TV appears to have no problems displaying Blu-ray 1080p, as previewing Avatar last night demonstrated. AFAIK, the SA 8300 will only display up to 1080i, which my TV is capable of handling.

My next steps to diagnose the problem are (I guess) to

1) swap out the 8300 for one of my non-DVR HD STBs and see if I still get the artifacting. If I do, then I suppose it's NOT a STB problem. If I don't, then it's off to Comcast for a replacement DVR. OR
2) what? Suggestions? Contact Comcrap and get a service call to test the line strength to my setup? Other?

Other than the above, are there STB or possible TV settings I'm not taking into consideration? I currently have the DVR HDMI upconvert option set to pass through.

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

--Ryan
post #1275 of 1283 Old 05-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

I had a similar problem about two months ago. One 8300HD box was macroblocking, skipping audio, etc. (on an analog TV). I swapped with another 8300HD I have in the media room and all was well (except I could not test the suspect box in the media room due to re-modeling). I switched the boxes back a month later and everything has worked flawlessly.

I was hesitant to turn in the box due to all of the content that is stored on it - a bunch of Lost episodes and 2 1/2 men that my wife wanted to watch.

About a year ago, I had a problem with FOXHD only during prime time. It did not affect any other channel or time slot (8-10pm). The audio would skip and make the show unwatchable. I called Comcast, and while they were nice, they had no clue. I told them they could send a technician to my home at night so they could experience the problem, but they don't have techs available that late. It resolved itself after the "24" season was over and I experienced it a few intermittent times since.

I found another forum member that lives in the next neighborhood that was experiencing the same thing, so it was not my setup.

To be truthful, these networks are VERY complicated and it is easy to have service issues. When they are isolated, it is very difficult to diagnose.
post #1276 of 1283 Old 05-27-2010, 02:16 PM

Finicky boxes = frustrated users.

BTW, yes "macroblocking" was the word I was looking for, not artifacting. Thanks, to you and to Google images for clearing that up.

Would asking Comcast to send a “refresh” signal to the STB help, or is that just BS?

If my DVR didn’t contain so many unviewed “Life”, “The Pacific” and “Breaking Bad” episodes, not to mention my kids’ Disney movies, I would have exchanged it with Comcast immediately.

I guess I’ll try swapping for one of my other HD non-DVR boxes tonight. Assuming I don’t have the same problem, well, it looks like the wife and I are going to need to get all caught up on our viewing really, really soon. Guess that’s what long, holiday weekends are for.

Thanks.

--Ryan
post #1277 of 1283 Old 05-27-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamu1996 View Post

Finicky boxes = frustrated users.

BTW, yes "macroblocking" was the word I was looking for, not artifacting. Thanks, to you and to Google images for clearing that up.

Would asking Comcast to send a refresh signal to the STB help, or is that just BS?

If my DVR didn't contain so many unviewed Life, The Pacific and Breaking Bad episodes, not to mention my kids' Disney movies, I would have exchanged it with Comcast immediately.

I guess I'll try swapping for one of my other HD non-DVR boxes tonight. Assuming I don't have the same problem, well, it looks like the wife and I are going to need to get all caught up on our viewing really, really soon. Guess that's what long, holiday weekends are for.

Thanks.

--Ryan

You might want to try unplugging it and then hold the Power button for a bit when you plug it back in. This is a "hard" reboot and often helps with a number of problems. It's different than simply unplugging and plugging back in.

Cheers, Dave
post #1278 of 1283 Old 06-01-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

You might want to try unplugging it and then hold the Power button for a bit when you plug it back in. This is a "hard" reboot and often helps with a number of problems. It's different than simply unplugging and plugging back in.

I gave that a try, but to no avail.

Let's add another wrinkle to this scenario.............

I have the DVR set up to record several shows, including Breaking Bad on AMC HD. Now, when simply watching AMC HD live, I get the macroblocking, intermitent sound, etc., making the channel unwatchable.

However, when the DVR records the same channel & show and I play back an otherwise unwatchable signal, it's perfect: no blocking, fine sound, etc.

So, the box displays some HD channels terribly live BUT looks fine during playback of the same channel.

What gives? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

--Ryan
post #1279 of 1283 Old 06-03-2010, 03:02 AM

I've had my SA 8300HD for a few years now (maybe 3). It's always worked okay, with some need for reboot from time to time. But for the last 2 months, it has an unacceptable behavior.

Before I describe the problem, here's what has been tried so far:

- a cable company (Videotron) technician paid us a visit, witnessed the problem, and thought it was because our signal was too strong (we had a booster). By bypassing the booster, *and* resetting the 8300HD, the problem disappeared. So he thought: problem solved.

- problem reappeared, so the techs on the phone had me try something else: a completely reformat of the box... losing all my programs of course. Problem reappeared soon after.

- and everytime the problem appears, a hard reset (unplugging from the wall) solves it.

- I've changed the HDMI cable (the technician thought this could also be a wire problem, but I kinda knew this wasn't it).

THE PROBLEM:

- Frequently, whenever we are recording two HD shows at the same time, when we open the terminal, it completely freaks out: the image comes and goes, mostly goes, the sound the same thing. We have many seconds of black, with the image/sound coming back for just a few seconds. There is no way to watch a pre-recorded show (like we used to) when that happens, nor watch one of the shows currently being recorded. The TV (actually, it's a projector) receives no signal intermittenly. My AV receiver sees the signal as coming, then gone for many seconds, then coming back again... AND: Videotron cannot monitor the problem from afar (when it happens, having them on the phone, they tell me that from their end the terminal seems fine and the signal is good).

If I wait until the shows are done recording, and then hard reset the terminal, then it comes back fine, *and* whatever was being recorded during the problem can be played flawlessly.

So, it looks to me like a HARDWARE problem... is my box done for ? It's now out of warranty, so that would cost me $600 to buy a new one, I'd really like to try everything else before I do that.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.
post #1280 of 1283 Old 06-03-2010, 04:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Used my 8300HD with NYC's TWC for many years, also with occasional cold reboots. Rarely record two shows simultaneously (overnight sometimes), but can't recall watching another show while recording two. AIUI, for recording, signals are being multiplexed. So, even with the record-two/watch-one supposed option, hard drives must really be maxed out technically. Here, for such a hard-drive workout, I'd just ease the 8300HD burden by only recording one show at once while watching another. Tuning a channel that doesn't record constantly (for one tuner), like a VOD index channel, is one way of easing the hard drive's job AIUI.-- John
post #1281 of 1283 Old 07-19-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamu1996 View Post

I'm having some issues with my SA STB following upgrading my TV from an older Toshiba 720p LCD to my new Panny 50G25 1080p-capable plasma. At least, I hope it's just the box, not the TV.

Stuff:
Panny 50G25
HD8300 DVR
Harman AVR-254
Comcast Cable

I'm getting severe artifacting (mostly horizontal banding/blockiness)......

PROBLEM SOLVED

After much consternation, I was all set to drop Comcast cable and go with Direct or Dish, just to be able to enjoy ALL my HD programming again. I decided, however, to have a technician out one more time to see if there was anything they could do to stop the macroblocking and sound drop issues I was having with some (but not all) of my HD channels.

Turns out, the problem was me, not Comcast. More precisely, it was my use of my surge protector, in line, between the wall jack and the STB that was causing the interference. The tech rerouted the cable from the wall jack direct to the STB, then from the STB-out to the surge protector (to maintain protection) and, viola, no more macroblocking/sound issues.

I must admit feeling a bit of a dunce, as the surge protector was the farthest thing from my mind as to possibly being the culprit and (as a matter of fact) I hadn't considered it at all, never checking the connections myself or rerouting the cable on my own. I simply forgot it was there.......

Anyways, problem solved. The tech was even a nice dude, not the standard customer-service-troglodyte I normally have to suffer............
post #1282 of 1283 Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 PM

Hey guys,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

To start off:

I had my LCD TV set to 16:9 which is the way it came, never changed that.

After the update of the Rogers PVR from Rogers a while back it seemed to be on an upscale setting that would auto-stretch the picture for non HD channels.

This caused an issue with changing from non HD channels auto stretched to HD channels, and the LCD TV would get confused and give me a white screen and show its current aspect ratio setting on the screen.

So after a while of putting up with it I set my PVR to fixed. This seemed to rid the issue, I just used the # button on the PVR remote to auto adjust channels myself.

All of a sudden now I see that when i am watching a recorded program on the PVR the screen will flicker black and the LCD TV will show its aspect ratio setting again, but the picture comes back right away.

So I decided to set the picture format on the PVR to Auto HDMI/DVI. Seeing as I am using an HDMI cable to hook the PVR.

We'll see what happens.

Anyone gone down this road before and could possibly shed some light?
post #1283 of 1283 Old 07-12-2011, 04:45 AM

Hi all,

I am having an issue with the Rogers PVR 8300 HD (Scientific Atlanta Box)
When i connect my 25 ft HDMI cable from 8300HD directly to Panasonic TV, all works no problem. But when i connect 8300HD via HDMI to my Sony HTSS350 audio/video receiver and then output HDMI to TV, i have issues.
every 5, or 10, or 15 minutes i will lose video but still have audio (you can see on the Sony receiver it lost input and then came back, like a handshake issue) I have tried a combination of settings on the box. I tried Auto/HDMI/DVI , tried FIXED, tried pass through. Set my box to onyl 1080i , only 720p, only 1080i & 480i ... but still happening. I tried a different HDMI cable, different input on ym Sony receiver.
I tested my bluray player, my WDTV Live, my Xbox360 and all those devices work no problem, no dropouts (and i tried them in the same input that i am using for the 8300HD)
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page