post #91 of 6205 Old 11-20-2005, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard korsgren View Post

michaelk: 1 or 2 (or more?) h20 tuners plus at9 dish plus switch box plus wiring plus install..all free..from Directv..no trade. And some installers are very good.

i didnt maen to imply they all suck. But if you get from directv it's not like buying from RObert who screens his installers. DIrectv will send you whoever they got lying around and they might be dolts.

For $139, I'd probably let them play and take the day off to halk 'em, but if it was $50 or maybe even up to $100 I'd think about doing it myself. I'd guess everyone would have their own threshold for taking the directv installer gamble...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6205 Old 11-20-2005, 03:34 PM

One other thing I have not seen mentioned is the lack of the H20 to recognize the "back" button on the remote.

My H20 brings up the guide instead of flipping back to the previously viewed channel every time I press the "back" button. Makes channel surfing annoying. Anyone else experience this? Am I missing something?
post #93 of 6205 Old 11-20-2005, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

FJV17:..You are correct about above. Also, the title information does not go away for 10 seconds instead of 2, 4, or 6 seconds. And you will find other little things that are not right with the remote. I have been using a great remote (Zenith HD52) and can not understand why a receiver would be released that has so many bugs, to include very slow overall speed. The favorites are, also, difficult to operate and slow. My wife is complaining all the time about remote. It would seem, to get a remote operating fast and correctly, would not be that difficult.
post #94 of 6205 Old 11-20-2005, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJV17 View Post

One other thing I have not seen mentioned is the lack of the H20 to recognize the "back" button on the remote.

My H20 brings up the guide instead of flipping back to the previously viewed channel every time I press the "back" button. Makes channel surfing annoying. Anyone else experience this? Am I missing something?

The back button is for the menu system. Use the prev button conveniently located below the channel up/down button for previous channel.

John
post #95 of 6205 Old 11-20-2005, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post

i didnt maen to imply they all suck. But if you get from directv it's not like buying from RObert who screens his installers. DIrectv will send you whoever they got lying around and they might be dolts.

For $139, I'd probably let them play and take the day off to halk 'em, but if it was $50 or maybe even up to $100 I'd think about doing it myself. I'd guess everyone would have their own threshold for taking the directv installer gamble...

Michael, I am sure I reading your post wrong, but are you saying **************** does not pay our satellite technicians properly? Just in case you or anyone would somehow get that feeling, I want to set the record straight. Here's the facts, I would be surprised if any salaried satellite technician earned the same or more than my staff technicians. We pay extremely well and far above the industry scale.

My two top senior technicians have been working at my company for more than six years each and absolutely love their careers. They perform the highest quality professional installation available. We very sincerely value and appreciate our technicians and treat them with honor and respect that they so well deserve.

I do agree that our industry employes many technicians that are also excellent and take pride in their work. So it's not carte blanche that you will be unhappy with a HSP or MSO, the vast majority are very good. The only difference with my company is that you are 100% guarantied a excellent installation with very high quality workmanship and materials 100% of the time.

-Robert
post #96 of 6205 Old 11-21-2005, 04:27 AM

ahhh....I'll have to give that a try once I get home tonight. Hopefully it will work.

Heck, even my wife was complaining about that yestarday while watching NFL....got to love that
post #97 of 6205 Old 11-21-2005, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Michael, I am sure I reading your post wrong, but are you saying **************** does not pay our satellite technicians properly? Just in case you or anyone would somehow get that feeling, I want to set the record straight. Here's the facts, I would be surprised if any salaried satellite technician earned the same or more than my staff technicians. We pay extremely well and far above the industry scale.

My two top senior technicians have been working at my company for more than six years each and absolutely love their careers. They perform the highest quality professional installation available. We very sincerely value and appreciate our technicians and treat them with honor and respect that they so well deserve.

I do agree that our industry employes many technicians that are also excellent and take pride in their work. So it's not carte blanche that you will be unhappy with a HSP or MSO, the vast majority are very good. The only difference with my company is that you are 100% guarantied a excellent installation with very high quality workmanship and materials 100% of the time.

-Robert

sorry if I wasn't clear. Didn't mean to imply people would get anything but perfect results from your company.

I was trying to say that your company provides 100% satisfaction and uses screened installers that you trust in areas where your techs dont directly handle it. Whereas ordering directly from Directv you take your chances.

I think it's like most anything else with the famous bell curve- probably 60 percent of the time the people directv sends out do a good job, 20 percent do great, and 20 percent stink. I just dont want to roll the dice and have to hope that i dont get one of the 20% who stinks. If the price is right, I'd do it myself. My second choice would be to order from you so i know a trust worth y individual will be sent. Last choice is take it from directv directly and cross my fingers. But since they dont seem to allow free or cheap unless you get from them directly, i'd take the chance. If they ensured the installers were paid fairly and had some QC systems then i'd expect the percentages to skew higher and wouldn't feel it was so risky.

You get what you pay for and it sounds like in general that Directv doesn't make sure the actual installers get paid a decent wage. Some companies, like yours, I'm sure pay a decent wage to their folks, but sure seems like directv has nothing to do with seeing that all their retailers/contractors do the same. At least that's my perception from the web reading about horror story after horror story on differnt forums...
post #98 of 6205 Old 11-21-2005, 02:40 PM

Hello Everyone,

What's the difference between the H20 that you can buy right now at Best Bur or Circuit City, and the one made by LG that everyone is talking about. I am going to be a new Directv subscriber sometime next month, and I want to make sure I buy the best receiver overall for HD.

Thanks,

Victor
post #99 of 6205 Old 11-21-2005, 02:52 PM

DIRECTV contracts the manufacturing of their receivers to six different companies. Most folks in the know agree that LG is the best. In particular the H20, has LG's best 5th generation OTA HD ATSC tuner built-in.

-Robert
post #100 of 6205 Old 11-21-2005, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

if the 600 manuf. code is LG's then all the h20s i've seem at my local BB are LG-made.

jim

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #101 of 6205 Old 11-21-2005, 03:49 PM

Is the $200 rebate on the H20 for new customers only? or only for those in the top 12 markets?

I'm not quite clear on this.
post #102 of 6205 Old 11-21-2005, 06:21 PM

Will Directv allow a chimmey (brick) mount for this 36 pound monster dish ?
post #103 of 6205 Old 11-21-2005, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Red Dwarf; The 4 mounting methods suggested by Directv are wall, wooden railing (wide), chimney, and ground mount.
post #104 of 6205 Old 11-21-2005, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The '6oo' LG (H20) receivers provide very good reception (OTA) , excellent video and audio but are somewhat weak in menus and speed. Overall, I still prefer the Zenith HD520 by a slight margin. Built quality is much better on Zenith, by the way. Of course, the H-20's were build down to a price level (as they are given away free). We shall see how long they last. Again, very good video on the H-20's.
post #105 of 6205 Old 11-21-2005, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard korsgren View Post

Red Dwarf; The 4 mounting methods suggested by Directv are wall, wooden railing (wide), chimney, and ground mount.

Does anyone have photos of the chimmey method?
post #106 of 6205 Old 11-22-2005, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Red Dwarf: Go to Google..type in..solid signal..check the Detroit section, click on the new dish..will give you information on new dish and mounts.
post #107 of 6205 Old 11-22-2005, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

$139.00 delivered to your door. H20 receivers are free after $200 mail-in rebate.

-Robert

Robert, I hate to beat this subject to death but.......I just got off the phone with D*. I talked to a supervisor not just a CSR. She told me that the H20 is $99.00 after rebate for existing customers and you have to give them your old HD receiver. This is entirely opposite of the info you and others are giving out in this thread. What's the straight scoop?
post #108 of 6205 Old 11-22-2005, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Directv's pricing is NOT the same as retailers like Robert.

Their pricing very well might be $99 after $200 rebate. But if you wonder over to Roberts website at www.********************* you will see his price is $199 so after the $200 rebate it's free.

Sometimes Directv is better (usually through customer retention) , other times the retailers are better.
post #109 of 6205 Old 11-22-2005, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone gotten the rebate form yet? I got a letter in the mail today from D* about my recent new activation, but it looked like the rebate form they sent was for the $100.00 DVR rebate. Looks like I may have to make a call or two to D*, since the H20 is not a DVR.
post #110 of 6205 Old 11-22-2005, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeler View Post

Robert, I hate to beat this subject to death but.......I just got off the phone with D*. I talked to a supervisor not just a CSR. She told me that the H20 is $99.00 after rebate for existing customers and you have to give them your old HD receiver. This is entirely opposite of the info you and others are giving out in this thread. What's the straight scoop?

Strange, when I called to order mine they did not charge me a penny for the receiver upgrade. Also they tech did not mention anything about a trade in for my old receiver. In the end I only paid $50 for the dish upgrade.....
post #111 of 6205 Old 11-22-2005, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

As I have mentioned, different CSR's have different information as do different installers. Directv does not communicate with CSRs or their customers very well, to say the least. I received 2 new H-20s and new dish install at zero cost and no trades.
post #112 of 6205 Old 11-22-2005, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

You guys got upgraded to MPEG4.

Steeler is apparently in a market that doesn't have MPEG4 yet so they are giving him the jumping the gun pricing.

Once his market goes mpeg4 I'd bet he gets the free swaps that you did.

In the mean time if people cant wait and need a box now, just buy one from value electronics.
post #113 of 6205 Old 11-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post

You guys got upgraded to MPEG4.

Steeler is apparently in a market that doesn't have MPEG4 yet so they are giving him the jumping the gun pricing.

Once his market goes mpeg4 I'd bet he gets the free swaps that you did.

In the mean time if people cant wait and need a box now, just buy one from value electronics.

I am in the Washington DC market which is not online quite yet. The supervisor from D* gave me the price using Detroit and the markets that went on line today as a price guide. She said when DC comes on broad this will be the price. Obviously people are getting them for free with no trade in. This illustrates how bad info flows from D* to its customers!
post #114 of 6205 Old 11-22-2005, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

usual story with htem

just keep calling to you get the answer you want...
post #115 of 6205 Old 11-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

To any H20 owner. Does the OTA signal meter work well? I have a Sammy 360 and the signal meter never worked. It will be nice to have a STB with a functioning OTA signal meter.
post #116 of 6205 Old 11-23-2005, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeler View Post

To any H20 owner. Does the OTA signal meter work well? I have a Sammy 360 and the signal meter never worked. It will be nice to have a STB with a functioning OTA signal meter.

The OTA meter on the H20 does seem to be pretty usable. Looks like the cutoff for a usable signal on it is around 40%, for what that's worth. I also have a Sammy 360, and so I know where you're coming from with that question.
post #117 of 6205 Old 11-23-2005, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

The OTA signal meter is good on the H20. With a good antenna and the transmitters some 35 miles, the meter shows between 90 and 100. It does help you to zero in on a given station.
post #118 of 6205 Old 11-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by labmansid View Post

Has anyone gotten the rebate form yet? I got a letter in the mail today from D* about my recent new activation, but it looked like the rebate form they sent was for the $100.00 DVR rebate. Looks like I may have to make a call or two to D*, since the H20 is not a DVR.

If you read Robert's earlier posts in this thread you will see that the $200 rebate is for customers who activate their HD receivers after 11/25. I confirmed that when I ordered my H20 from him this week. When I call to activate this weekend I will inquire about the rebate at that time and will post the results.

Keith S.
post #119 of 6205 Old 11-23-2005, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Does anyone's H20 reboot when they try to use the signal strength meter?
Or is it just mine?

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #120 of 6205 Old 11-24-2005, 08:56 AM

Does the caller id work ok on the H20? It seems the R15 and D10 have had problems, so just wondering. I am considering upgrading my RCA DTC210, but enjoy the flawless caller id feature and the fast channel changes of the RCA. What say you?
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page