DirecTV H20 (non-DVR) Official Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 6205 Old 11-29-2005, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What exactly am I missing by not having this 5LNB satellite? I have the 3-LNB and I would be upset to find that I need the 5 before HD LIL's make it to my market - which they haven't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 6205 Old 11-29-2005, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veander View Post

What exactly am I missing by not having this 5LNB satellite? I have the 3-LNB and I would be upset to find that I need the 5 before HD LIL's make it to my market - which they haven't.

You will not be able to get HD locals or upcoming HD national channels unless you upgrade to the 5 LNB dish.
post #183 of 6205 Old 11-29-2005, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know if the ReplayTV 5000 series has the IR codes for the H20?
post #184 of 6205 Old 11-29-2005, 08:20 PM

Info regarding H20 or H10 Boxes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got off the phone the Customer Installation Department at DirecTV.

Apparently if you live in Los Angeles or New York you do not need the new dish or H20 receiver to receive the local HD channels. He said that the H10 and 3 LNB dish will work because the local HD are not on the new satellites for LA and NY. If I order from DirecTV I may or may not get the H20 because its not required for local HD. He also said if I want to make sure I get the H20 I should go to the local Circuit City or Best Buy and buy it there. He also said that the H10 is not Mpeg4 and I would have to upgrade sometime later.

Can anybody confirm this?

Paul
post #185 of 6205 Old 11-30-2005, 05:19 AM

I'm sure the manual will say, but I'm not currently where the manual is, so thought I'd ask the forum. When I hook up the H20, will I replace the current DirecTV box and use only the H20? That's what I'd assume, but mentally trying to anticipate my connection needs.
post #186 of 6205 Old 11-30-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

If you have a 16:9 set, choose pillar box.
It will automatically show 16:9 programs as 16:9 and 4:3 as 4:3.

But then the H20 is adding the pillars, correct? I would rather have it pass the image "as-is" to my TV and let it handle the adjustments.
post #187 of 6205 Old 11-30-2005, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejwil View Post

According to the H20 user guide on directv.com, you can choose that 4:3 material be displayed pillar-box, stretch, or crop if you have a 16:9 set. Is there any way to tell it to do nothing? I have a Toshiba 16:9 set and would prefer to let it do the adjustments to 4:3 material. Perhaps there is a setting to just pass the aspect ratio information on to the TV?

Thanks.

Try setting the output resolution to native, and 4:3 format to stretch (note that I don't have my H20 yet, so this is just an educated guess).
post #188 of 6205 Old 11-30-2005, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

But then the H20 is adding the pillars, correct?

If you want stuff shown as the station is sending it, choose PILLAR BOX.

On 4:3 standard definition broadcasts, it will show the 4:3 material as is, with 4:3 in the middle of your 16:9 TV screen and pillar boxes on the sides to fill in the rest of your screen.

On 16:9 broadcasts (720p or 1080i), it shows everything in 16:9. On those channels, if the original material is not widescreen (e.g. CBS Evening News), the station inserts the pillar bars to fill in the 16:9 frame.
post #189 of 6205 Old 11-30-2005, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmathcpa View Post

Info regarding H20 or H10 Boxes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got off the phone the Customer Installation Department at DirecTV.

Apparently if you live in Los Angeles or New York you do not need the new dish or H20 receiver to receive the local HD channels. He said that the H10 and 3 LNB dish will work because the local HD are not on the new satellites for LA and NY. If I order from DirecTV I may or may not get the H20 because its not required for local HD. He also said if I want to make sure I get the H20 I should go to the local Circuit City or Best Buy and buy it there. He also said that the H10 is not Mpeg4 and I would have to upgrade sometime later.

Can anybody confirm this?

Paul

Everything above is correct.

Also, the H20 has a better OTA HD tuner than the H10. Something to consider if you want to use an antenna to get some of the local HD channels that are not on D*. Not all of them are.
post #190 of 6205 Old 11-30-2005, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veander View Post

Here is the link the CSR gave me over the phone when activating. He said it would be a waste of time to mail me one. http://www.directv.com/imagine/pdf/dvr_rebate_form.pdf

It says DVR in the link, but it's for both DVR and HD scenarios.

In that PDF, it says: "Originals only - duplicates of this form will not be accepted"
post #191 of 6205 Old 11-30-2005, 01:47 PM

Does anyone know if MPEG is available in the Boston area? I read a press release that stated that the Boston market was going to get the new service in December, but I heard that it was pushed back to middle '06. Anyone hear the same thing from D*? Thanks.
post #192 of 6205 Old 11-30-2005, 02:04 PM

I bought the H20 from BestBuy on Black Friday and after I hooked it up and activated the HD service through D* customer service all was well except that I noticed that sometimes the audio and video seems out of sync sometimes on some HD channels like Discovery. I am using a 3lnb dish. How can I fix that?

Also, when I set up the dish I had no idea what to put in for the multiswitch option (4x4 or 6x8 i think) so i just chose the 4x4 since it was the default one. What exactly is the multiswitch for? Does it have any effect on anything?

In the H20 box there is some little device in a small white box called the Ka- something something (im at work dont have it on me). What is that for?
post #193 of 6205 Old 11-30-2005, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt83 View Post

I bought the H20 from BestBuy on Black Friday and after I hooked it up and activated the HD service through D* customer service all was well except that I noticed that sometimes the audio and video seems out of sync sometimes on some HD channels like Discovery. I am using a 3lnb dish. How can I fix that?

Also, when I set up the dish I had no idea what to put in for the multiswitch option (4x4 or 6x8 i think) so i just chose the 4x4 since it was the default one. What exactly is the multiswitch for? Does it have any effect on anything?

In the H20 box there is some little device in a small white box called the Ka- something something (im at work dont have it on me). What is that for?

You can complain to D* and Discovery HD about the audio sync. It is not equipment related as far as I can tell.

The 4x4 is what you have currently I would bet.

The B band converter is not needed until you get the new dish. Don't throw it out. Keep it for the new dish.

-Brian
post #194 of 6205 Old 11-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musick View Post

actually the wording on the rebate form at BB is very vague and unclear and I would'nt put total faith in anything that a DTV rep tells you

you can read the rebate terms provided by BB here
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03026
by clicking on the link within

statement one

statement 2

Now I spoke with a retailer today **************** who said that the rebate would be valid if I committed to a two year contract of a Total Choice package and did not have to include a HD package commitment

at the same time I would assume one could get the 3 month free HD package to meet the terms in statement 1 but who's to say that doesn't conflict with 'may not be combined with any other DIRECTV HD offer' from statement 2

seems to me there is no clear cut answer based on how you read/interpret the verbage

Musick - You may be right although I specifically indicated in my post that the information I received came from a tech support supervisor. I phoned and asked to speak with someone in authority because I wanted to bitch about being forced to upgrade to DTV's HD package in order to be eligible for the H20 rebate. Personally, I don't believe their HD package is worth $11 per month. So, FWIW, I wasn't speaking with a typical lower level csr.

My complaints must have paid off because I got the 5lnb dish, H20, and installation for a good price, without a mandatory HD package commitment.
post #195 of 6205 Old 11-30-2005, 05:24 PM

Quote:

Now I spoke with a retailer today **************** who said that the rebate would be valid if I committed to a two year contract of a Total Choice package and did not have to include a HD package commitment

at the same time I would assume one could get the 3 month free HD package to meet the terms in statement 1 but who's to say that doesn't conflict with 'may not be combined with any other DIRECTV HD offer' from statement 2

seems to me there is no clear cut answer based on how you read/interpret the verbage

Actually you do need to activate the HD package and agree to 2 years of TOTAL CHOICE to qualify for the $200 HD rebate. Sorry if someone at my office misquoted you. I will go over the rebate details at our morning meeting tomorrow.

We are only shipping the H20 it is a superior receiver to the H10 and is MPEG-4 capable.

-Robert
post #196 of 6205 Old 11-30-2005, 07:30 PM

Has anyone had a chance to play around with the program timers yet?

I just received my H20 today and I can't get it to turn itself on and tune to a channel. The autotune works fine if the box is already on but it won't wake itself up if I turn it off like my sony sat-hd300 will.

I've got a dvd recorder with a hard drive that I use to record with frequently and i don't really want to leave the sat box on all the time.

The manual for the H20 isn't real clear on this. In the troubleshooting section, it says that if the box turns itself on unexpectedly, that an autotune might have been set. From this I'm inferring that an autotune should turn the box on.

Just curious if I got a bad box or they are all this way. Thanks a lot!

Brian
post #197 of 6205 Old 11-30-2005, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26339 View Post

Has anyone had a chance to play around with the program timers yet?

I just received my H20 today and I can't get it to turn itself on and tune to a channel. The autotune works fine if the box is already on but it won't wake itself up if I turn it off like my sony sat-hd300 will.

I've got a dvd recorder with a hard drive that I use to record with frequently and i don't really want to leave the sat box on all the time.

The manual for the H20 isn't real clear on this. In the troubleshooting section, it says that if the box turns itself on unexpectedly, that an autotune might have been set. From this I'm inferring that an autotune should turn the box on.

Just curious if I got a bad box or they are all this way. Thanks a lot!

Brian

FYI, most STBs use nearly as much power when they are turned off. The only thing that you are turning off is the A/V ouputs.
post #198 of 6205 Old 11-30-2005, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

We are only shipping the H20 it is a superior receiver to the H10 and is MPEG-4 capable.

-Robert

I received my H20 from Robert today (quick service as usual Robert, thanks). I must say that my initial reaction to the PQ is that I actually find it a bit better than the Sony HD200. I never thought I'd say that of any receiver, but in an A/B comparison, the H20 appears to have a bit more picture depth, a bit better sharpness and a tad less noise....not a bad combination!

Unfortunately I'm having a few issues with my Gefen HDMI switcher which is making the process a bit more difficult than it needs to be.
post #199 of 6205 Old 11-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Actually you do need to activate the HD package and agree to 2 years of TOTAL CHOICE to qualify for the $200 HD rebate. Sorry if someone at my office misquoted you. I will go over the rebate details at our morning meeting tomorrow.

-Robert

Robert,
thanks for the clarification and to be fair your rep was helpful but I don't think anyone could be expected to properly interpret the vague wording of the rebate

Since you seem to be clearer on it can I assume the minimum contract commitment needed to get the rebate is as follows:

- 24 consecutive months of a Total Choice package $41.99 x 24 = $1007.76
+
- 1 month HD package $10.99 that I can cancel after the first month (as I also don't believe at this time $10.99 is worth the price per month for the current content)

these cable/satellite companies make it much to confusing to the average consumer to make an informed purchase
post #200 of 6205 Old 12-01-2005, 10:53 AM

This is a very good receiver. The ATSC tuner is sensitive and stable. Hopefully a software update will make it quicker and fix the minor bug where the receiver reboots when editing the current favorites list. I did find that you can change to a differnet favorite list and edit the first favorite list with no problem. You just can't edit the "Current Favorite List".

By the way, if anyone is looking for a good low cost source for cables try
monoprice.

I bought a HDMI and HDMI-DVI cable for $6.49 each.
post #201 of 6205 Old 12-01-2005, 02:23 PM

The rebate says that you have to send in a copy of your D* bill showing the activation of service. Now I already had D* when i got teh H20 and since I just activated the HD with 2 yr service commitment there is no way I am going to get the next bill showing the HD activation within 30 days for the rebate to be valid. Is any current bill showing my status as a D* customer but not the HD package which I had just recently activated going to be valid for that rebate?
post #202 of 6205 Old 12-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt83 View Post

The rebate says that you have to send in a copy of your D* bill showing the activation of service. Now I already had D* when i got teh H20 and since I just activated the HD with 2 yr service commitment there is no way I am going to get the next bill showing the HD activation within 30 days for the rebate to be valid. Is any current bill showing my status as a D* customer but not the HD package which I had just recently activated going to be valid for that rebate?

The rebate is valid till 2-28-6......and must be postmarked by 4-30-06
post #203 of 6205 Old 12-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Robert,
thanks for the clarification and to be fair your rep was helpful but I don't think anyone could be expected to properly interpret the vague wording of the rebate

Since you seem to be clearer on it can I assume the minimum contract commitment needed to get the rebate is as follows:

- 24 consecutive months of a Total Choice package $41.99 x 24 = $1007.76
+
- 1 month HD package $10.99 that I can cancel after the first month (as I also don't believe at this time $10.99 is worth the price per month for the current content)

these cable/satellite companies make it much to confusing to the average consumer to make an informed purchase

The HD Package is free for 3 months

AVS Forum Fold@Home Team Enter Team # 55280 when u download
post #204 of 6205 Old 12-01-2005, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

If you want stuff shown as the station is sending it, choose PILLAR BOX.

On 4:3 standard definition broadcasts, it will show the 4:3 material as is, with 4:3 in the middle of your 16:9 TV screen and pillar boxes on the sides to fill in the rest of your screen.

On 16:9 broadcasts (720p or 1080i), it shows everything in 16:9. On those channels, if the original material is not widescreen (e.g. CBS Evening News), the station inserts the pillar bars to fill in the 16:9 frame.

I believe that answers my question. I do not want the H20 to add the pillars, I would prefer to let my TV handle 4:3 image manipulation. But that doesn't seem to be an option. I have been spoiled by the Toshiba TW1 mode that zooms in slightly and stretches only the edges of the image to fill the screen.

One more question... What happens to a 16:9 broadcast when recorded to a VCR? Have any of you tried this yet? Is it letter-box?

Thanks.
post #205 of 6205 Old 12-01-2005, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 1578
That brings up an interesting point. I'm surprised, since this is an LG box, that there is no 'panaroma' mode in the stretch modes. It seems the stretch mode in the H20 is a linear stretch which doesn't look nearly as good as the panaroma mode in the LG made Sony HD200.
post #206 of 6205 Old 12-01-2005, 09:38 PM

Stupid question time.....

I just got my new dish and H20 installed today (SF Bay Area), and rather than noticing audio drop outs consistently, my audo is full on just either way ahead or behind what is shown on screen.

I am aware that there will be a software download to rectify the situation. My question is, does a phone line need to be connected in order to receive it, or does it just come through the dish?
post #207 of 6205 Old 12-01-2005, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Direct's upgrades comes to you via your satellite dish.

Gary
post #208 of 6205 Old 12-01-2005, 09:46 PM

Thank you, kind sir. I kinda figured as much, but strangely, I recall not getting any updates whatsoever on my SD Tivo unit until I connected a phone line to it. Maybe it is just different for the DVR units.
post #209 of 6205 Old 12-02-2005, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

I believe that answers my question. I do not want the H20 to add the pillars, I would prefer to let my TV handle 4:3 image manipulation. But that doesn't seem to be an option. I have been spoiled by the Toshiba TW1 mode that zooms in slightly and stretches only the edges of the image to fill the screen.

Yes-- that is why I suggested sending 4:3 material as stretch-- the box won't add pillar boxes. Also, you must set the output resolution to native. That way, the box will send 480i as 480i and not convert it to anything else. Therefore, your tv will be able to apply its stretch settings.

Note that this won't work if you're watching a local station that's doing its own upconverting and adding their own pillar boxes.
post #210 of 6205 Old 12-02-2005, 08:39 AM

Hey, I want to followup on an earlier Post. I have the H20 and I use it in conjunction with a DVR with a hard drive. MY old Directv box had a reminder function which would automatically turn on the box and tune to the channel selected for recording. The Autotune feature does not automatically turn on the H20. Anyone else tried doing this? Is there any way around it? I hate leaving the box on all night just to record a 1 hour show. Thanks in advance.

Brian
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page