post #181 of 601 Old 10-20-2000, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Bradford:
Im getting WBZ with a UM box and a dish pointed at Nimiq1 any chance i might get their HD signal with this? The feed im getting looks shrunk smaller than 4x3. Won't scale up to fill screen. I guess thats expressvu's doing?
Gary,

When we are transmitting upconverted analog material, it is upconverted to 1080i with a 4x3 aspect ratio in a 16x9 frame. HD in CBS primetime.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 601 Old 10-23-2000, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by George Mills:

...would you consider a tour some day perhaps
after the work is done? The work you are doing sounds fascinating.

George,

We will probably have an open house for all of the early adopters on this forum. Might give you guys a chance to meet each other. Any interest out there?

Bob
post #183 of 601 Old 10-23-2000, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
yes! definitely interested....

------------------
Steve

Regards,
Steve
post #184 of 601 Old 10-23-2000, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Hi Bob,

Yes! Absolutely! I toured the CBS Network facilities in NYC earlier this summer and it was fascinating. Would love to see what we have here in Boston. Thanks again for providing all the great technical info on this forum. You've set the standard by which all other broadcasters will be measured. Good luck down the home stretch with getting the new transmitters on the air,

--Marc
post #185 of 601 Old 10-23-2000, 07:45 AM

Yes, I would be very interested also.....

------------------
HDjunky

HDjunky
post #186 of 601 Old 10-23-2000, 08:08 AM

To Bob Hess:
Bob, I know you are totally focused on getting your new tower up and running, but I just wanted to weigh-in on the lip-sync problem with another data point. I am using a Canadian version Echostar Model 6ooo, receiving the Express Vu re-feed of your signal. The audio is several hundred milliseconds out of sync with video. The out of sync condition is the same independent of whether I use an outboard AC-3 processor or the onboard decoder (with analog outputs) in the 6000. I know you are aware of this problem and I think you said in a previous post that you would be able to address this once the tower is up.

Good luck with the tower and keep up the good work.
post #187 of 601 Old 10-23-2000, 10:17 AM

Bob:
I would assume that all they do at Express Vu is receive your signal, demod it and then uplink the original 19.1 Mbit signal. They do not insert any of their own content into your feed, so there is no reason I can think of to demux the video and audio.

Just speculation, but this might also be some kind of software anomaly in the 6000. To date it has only been used for satellite reception from signals originated by DISH. The OTA module is not available yet, so it may have some bugs that DISH is compensating for at their uplink by delaying the audio an appropriate amount from HBO and Showtime. Express Vu is probably not doing this to your feed. This hopefully will go away when Echostar releases their OTA module and updates the software.
post #188 of 601 Old 10-23-2000, 02:38 PM

I would also be very interested in a tour. Bob is right too, isn't this an excellent opportunity for a local get together? I'm on the verge of buying an STB as my last needed HDTV component so I'd be all ears for those with old war stories about "The Start-Up Years" (they're over, right?).

There are a lot of great places near the station to meet afterward for a meal and a beer. The only thing missing would be a nearby place to demo an HDTV signal? Is that needed? Actually, there is a Tweeter Etc. within a 10 minute drive (in Newton on Highland Ave near the Mobile Bookfair?). I don't know what they have for HDTV set-up but they may be persuaded in some way...

Is this the right place in the forum to try and pull this together? It could take some time so it's not too early...
post #189 of 601 Old 10-23-2000, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Because I live on the west coast, I haven't been paying any attention to this thread until today. All I can say is that the Boston folks are incredibly lucky to have a station that is so amazingly forthcoming as WBZ. We are lucky here in that we've been getting all networks for sometime, but we do NOT have a cooperative station anywhere around here that I know of.

Good luck,

Mike
post #190 of 601 Old 10-23-2000, 07:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Very Interested.

Thanks Bob,
Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #191 of 601 Old 10-23-2000, 08:58 PM

This brings me out of lurking-count me in also.

I fly past the towers all the time (have a grumman cheetah based out of hanscom) and have been checking up on the progress from the air, and I'd love to see it from the ground. Also am a instrument engineer, and gotta see what 8" diameter copper wire looks like (is there even a gauge for that size?).

By the way, the "Needham antennas" are a well used reporting point for planes going to hanscom or norwood.

Bob, I can accurately predict when you'll be done with the project...at the end of November when I have to move to LA! I've had my HD510 and unity motion since December 99, have a small rotatable antenna farm on my roof, and have anxiously been awaiting the completion of the project (I tell everyone "that's my antenna" when we drive by). The house sold too quick and closing is end of november-moving before then. I may get a week or two of PBS if I'm lucky. Hope LA stations are as dedicated as you guys are.
post #192 of 601 Old 10-23-2000, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Doug,

I don't have a clue how our DTV signal path is handled by Express Vu. I found out the other day that the signal is received off-air at a facility several miles from the transmitter - a location that is not all that favorable for our low power, directional signal. I don't know what they do with the audio and video, if anything, at that point. I didn't even know we were on Canadian DSS until I read it on this forum. I will try to find out how they are receiving the signal and handling the audio/video path. I do not see several hundred milliseconds of lip-sync error on our Harris receiver here at WBZ. I have seen occassional lip-sync error on my DTC-100 which may be due to accumulated bit errors, the result of the relatively weak and multipath plagued signal I see at the studio. I won't go so far as to say we have no lip-sync problems. We are taking a serious look it. Thanks for the note.

Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob Hess (edited 10-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Bob Hess (edited 10-23-2000).]
post #193 of 601 Old 10-24-2000, 05:28 AM

I too, would be psyched for this get-together...

Derek

------------------
Derek J. Nolan -- Derek@ImBetterThanYou.com -- My DVDs

Derek J. Nolan -- Derek@ImBetterThanYou.com -- My DVDs
post #194 of 601 Old 10-24-2000, 07:29 AM

I am up for a tour! Bob, I hope the building is the size of an airplane hanger, otherwise with the response you are getting we all maybe getting real friendly.

------------------
Nothing difficult ever turns out to be easy

Nothing difficult ever turns out to be easy
post #195 of 601 Old 10-24-2000, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Bob,

I told you the response to a tour invite would be good. Obviously, I'm in as well. I too would love to see 8" transmission cable http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Hopelessly addicted to HDTV --- Rich

Hopelessly addicted to HDTV and lost deep in the woods of Charlton, MA - Rich
rharvey@at-com.com
post #196 of 601 Old 10-24-2000, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard_P_Harvey:
Bob,

I told you the response to a tour invite would be good. Obviously, I'm in as well. I too would love to see 8" transmission cable http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks, Richard and everyone else. I will announce a date for a tour of the transmitter facility in Needham within a few weeks after completion of the project. I buy, you guys show up....should be a good time!

That's the good news. Bad news is that we did testing today on our three 1300 foot runs of eight inch transmission line and found three irregularities, one of which was significant. These irregularities could cause a burn-out of the line and an extended period of down time for all of the stations. Better to repair it now. We're looking now at November 7th but will do everything we can to better that date.

[for the non-techies, the transmission line carries the DTV signal from the transmitters on the ground to the antenna on top of the tower]

Keep the faith....

Oh yeah, for anyone who cannot sleep at night, Channel 4 and Channel 5 will be testing our new common antenna (both stations agreed to go to a common antenna to make room for a common DTV antenna on the tower)between 1 AM and 4 AM every night this week. Tonight, both stations will operate at 25% power and by Friday overnight testing should be at 100% power if all goes well. Normal overnight programming will be transmitted. This antenna should make a big difference with indoor antennas.

- Bob

post #197 of 601 Old 10-24-2000, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Kevin,
You'll be just fine here in L.A. We have 9 stations broadcasting digitally, with all the CBS, ABC, NBC and PBS HDTV programming passed through. Just make sure you have line of sight to Mt. Wilson.
post #198 of 601 Old 10-25-2000, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Bob,

It's been said many times before but I think it's worth one more mention.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif THANKS http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

It's just fantastic how your so willing to share detailed information with us all. I know the entire group of Boston area early adopters has learned a lot from your consistently informative posts and I for one look forward to meeting you as much as I look forward to WBZ-DT (well, at least a close second).

I have a suggestion for your tour, how about inviting your counterparts from the other stations such as Jim Shultis from WHDH. I don’t sense that there is any rivalry between competing stations in Boston and I bet it would be a treat for them all to see your awesome efforts. It may also spark some additional interest in them to push their management teams forward quicker, who knows. I bet the early adopter would very much enjoy a group discussion with everyone. It would be great to hear the various viewpoint on topics like 4:3 Vs. 14:9 etc. Anyway, just a thought and obviously it’s your call. Again, thanks for all your support.

------------------
Hopelessly addicted to HDTV --- Rich

Hopelessly addicted to HDTV and lost deep in the woods of Charlton, MA - Rich
rharvey@at-com.com
post #199 of 601 Old 10-25-2000, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Richard,

I will invite my counterparts to the tour/get together. Good idea.

Skibum,

I'd never make it in politics.....I'm too honest.....

- Bob
post #200 of 601 Old 10-25-2000, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Bob,

I too, would like to echo the sentiments of all who have posted by saying thanks! I'm fairly new to HDTV (waiting for my Philips 9905 to arrive "any day now") and to this forum.

It's pretty rare to find someone such as yourself who provides detailed updates, regarding both good and bad progress. In my experience most people are eager to provide the good news but get mighty quiet when it's time to talk about delays and setbacks.

So again, thanks for the great work and if there's still room, I'd love to attend the grand tour!

Regards -- Steve

[This message has been edited by SteveV (edited 10-25-2000).]
post #201 of 601 Old 10-25-2000, 04:01 PM

I've been too busy with things to keep up... but I would certainly be interested in a tour. What we need is for WFXT to come so they can see why we'd rather be watching WBZ in HD than WFXT with horrible upconversions!

8"?!?!? is that wire gauge 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000 or something? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

TiVo: Sony @ 160 hrs, Philips @ 163 hrs
HDTV: Pioneer Elite PRO-510HD + Zenith HDV420
(The SH-D09 flaked out on me).
post #202 of 601 Old 10-25-2000, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Hi Bob Hess,

I just heard about the tour of the new facility and I would like to be counted in as well. Can we climb to the top of the 1300 ft tower and maybe do some group oriented activity like changing a lightbulb? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
post #203 of 601 Old 10-25-2000, 09:40 PM

Bob,
I wonder if you know that you were quoted in the "News & Analysis@digital Broadcast.com" site. Here is the quote:

WBZ, the CBS affiliate in Boston, has been operating on low power since May 1999, but director of engineering Don Hess says they have just about completed major modifications to a 1,300 foot tower that will also house digital antennas for WGBH and WCVB. “We expect to go to full power by Nov. 3,†Hess says.

As you see the press strikes again, they quoted you as Don Hess.

Thanks also for all the great info that you have passed on to us early adopters.

Pat

------------------
HDjunky

HDjunky
post #204 of 601 Old 10-26-2000, 03:51 AM

See me slowly come out of the shadows......BOO!

Another NH lurker revealed!

Big thanks, Bob, for the continuous updates. Guess I'll be jumping "off the fence" soon!
post #205 of 601 Old 10-26-2000, 06:21 AM

Nothing like a good party to bring people out into the open. From another lurker in MA, count me in for the tour.

------------------
Andrew Espinosa

Andrew Espinosa
post #206 of 601 Old 10-26-2000, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
POP! Another lurker breaks through the time/space barrier...

Count me in for the tour, too!!!
post #207 of 601 Old 10-26-2000, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I know you guys hate to look at analog pictures, but you can really help me out if you would take a good look at channels 4 and 5 before Saturday. If you have an indoor antenna, be sure to check out the signal. Then take another look over the weekend. We will change over to the new antenna system early Saturday morning. If you don't want to clutter up this thread, because this really isn't HDTV talk, send me the reports directly - bhess@cbs.com.

Thanks, I really will appreciate any reports since you're a group of critical eyes.

Bob
WBZ
post #208 of 601 Old 10-27-2000, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Bob,

I'd like to join the me-to's and say that I'd love to get a tour!

Thanks
Jake

jake
post #209 of 601 Old 10-27-2000, 09:05 PM

Count me in, who knows maybe Ken F will be there.

------------------
Steve P

Steve Pelchat
post #210 of 601 Old 10-27-2000, 09:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Bob,

It's after midnight on Fri night (Sat AM) and if anything the analog channels look worse vs. better. I don't know if the new analog feeds are up yet or at this point they haven't switched over for the test.

30-1 looks great as always.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page