post #1 of 601 Old 08-14-2000, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hess:
OK, here is the latest.....

The "bridge" between the tower and the new building is still a few weeks away. There were many design problems and new materials had to be ordered. The new materials arrive this week. The DTV antenna system is installed and looks good so far but awaits testing which can't be done until the "bridge" is completed.

No more on-air date predictions from me! I've blown it too many times! I hope all of the bends in the road are behind us. I will let forum members know when the first test signals hit the air.

We should have our PSIP system operating just before we go to high power. Do a search on this forum for more information on PSIP. So far, no one else in Boston running PSIP. I'll need reports from you guys.

Bob Hess
WBZ
Hi Bob,

Was wondering how the bridge work was going. Thanks for any insights you can provide,

--Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 601 Old 08-15-2000, 09:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Looking very forward to getting the attenuator out of my antenna path & better lip syncing on WBZ-DT.

Anyone know if WGBH-DT will actually be broadcasting HD & when?

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #3 of 601 Old 08-16-2000, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
The ABC, CBS and PBS stations will be broadcasting with full power as soon as the project is completed. All of the full power transmitters for each station are installed and ready to go.

The project continues. All of the design problems with our transmission line bridge have been rectified, however the thing is so complicated that we really won't know for sure until the last piece is in place. The foundations of the bridge are in place and actual erection of the 50 foot high, 250 foot long bridge will commence on Monday. The contractor expects 4-5 weeks to get the transmission line from the tower to the transmitters. At that point, assuming the entire system is working correctly, we throw our respective "big switches". The "system" is complicated and consists of four transmitters feeding a combiner which feeds three 1500+ runs of broad-band transmission line which feeds two broad-band UHF antennas. While we have checked out various components of the "system", we will not know if everything works as planned until the "system" is complete and verified to be operating as designed.

We're getting close. Thanks to everyone for their patience.

WBZ DTV Hotline: 617-787-7043. Leave a message with any signal, etc. questions/problems.

Bob Hess
Director, Broadcast Operations/Engineering
WBZ-TV/WBZ-AM/WODS-FM
post #4 of 601 Old 08-16-2000, 08:09 AM

So, WBZ-DT (CBS), WGBH-DT (PBS) and WCVB-DT (ABC) will be broadcasting soon? Definately time to order the tuner...

What about WHDH (NBC)? What's their status?

I know someone who already watches WCVB-DT (I think he's in love with Heather Kahn http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif 'cuz all he says he watches is the news), so what difference does this tower make? Stronger signal?

[This message has been edited by tshort (edited August 16, 2000).]

TiVo: Sony @ 160 hrs, Philips @ 163 hrs
HDTV: Pioneer Elite PRO-510HD + Zenith HDV420
(The SH-D09 flaked out on me).
post #5 of 601 Old 08-16-2000, 08:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

tshort,

If you had looked at the other posts, as previously suggested in a prior post, here's the rough staus from Boxboroiugh. Hard to tell what your results will be since you don't post your code.

All stations with the exception of WGBH-DT are broadcasting now, which is why I inquired if they would be at tower completion.

WCVB-DT (ABC, 20-1) is pretty high power (maybe not full). They have mosts 14x9 upconversion, but have shown movies, includding DD5.1 sound movies finally straightening out during JAWS. The have DD sound. (One of the stations have DD 2/1 which is more enveloping).

WHDH-DT (NBC, 42-1) is broadcasting, but they are only broadcasting SDTV (4:3) but the picture & color looks great for what there is. Leno is NOT broadcast in HD. Why? Wish I had a contact to ask.

WBZ-DT (CBS, 30-1) is broadcasting at a lower power & I'm experiencing lip syncing issues (the new Tower will be a great improvement on both). CBS and the local folks like Bob Hess are really committed to HD and there is the most entertainment programming per week on WBZ.

WFXT-DT (Fox, 31-2) is broadcasting at medium-low power but don't seem to have their 16x9 act together. Despite shows like X-Files being available in 16x9 upconvert, our affiliate seems oblivious as to how to broadcast this and resorts to crummy 14x9. Other shows, e.g., Titus, seem to be 4:3 but compressed horizontally.

That's about the local state of the union. Folks out further than Metro West (even one town over from me) are chomping at the proverbial bit to get WBZ-DT and other lower powered feeds. This tower upgrade will be a big boon to all MA folks.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #6 of 601 Old 08-16-2000, 10:21 AM

Duh! How could I forget Fox? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

I'm in Sudbury (I prefer not to put my town into my user info), so I'm a bit closer to Boston than you. I got cable now, I don't know how well my reception will be until I put in an attic antenna. (And hope I can feed the coax down the same hole as the gas line for the attic furnace.)
I know some NTSC UHF channels came in OK, and some really bad, but that was with rabbit ears...

It's a good thing that all these signals will be coming from a single location (except maybe NBC), it should be easier to point the antenna.

[This message has been edited by tshort (edited August 16, 2000).]

post #7 of 601 Old 08-16-2000, 12:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

The pointing is very important. As a former Sudbury resident you should be in better shape than me. My biggest annoyance was hitting Needham which was about 15 degrees left of where I expected it to be. Got good exercise tweakling up and doiwn two flights of staits to the attic about 30 times. Channel Master 4248 about $50 (I got mine from Stark Electronics in Worcester) is relatively cheap and I combine through a couple dollar UHF/VHF Radio Shack combiner. (You need this because as a UHF antenna the CM 4248 does not "cascade" to a VHF/UHF antenna only to a VHF only antenna or the signals would cancel interfere//cancel). You have a neighbor who posts here but lives in a glacial kettle hole, but should still have good luck. If you moved into my old house you'll find two UHF/VHF antennas in the attic already....

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #8 of 601 Old 08-16-2000, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rudolpht:
You need this because as a UHF antenna the CM 4248 does not "cascade" to a VHF/UHF antenna only to a VHF only antenna or the signals would cancel interfere//cancel.
Huh? Sorry... I'm not up on antennas. I assume this means that you need to combine the outputs of the antenna to a single cable in order to feed the tuner?

In my old Sudbury house, my father put in an antenna in the attic, but only one TV was hooked up to it; at a friends house, they had a motor w/ wired remote control (I can still see the little channel stickers that indicated what direction to point the antenna). This was before sudbury had cable. We didn't get cable, but my friend did...

I've had cable TV since I went to college, so I'm really not knowedgable regarding antennas. Any suggestions or resources? I figured I'd go to Radio Shack after I managed to get some RG6 into the attic (no point buying an antenna if I can't get the cable up there...)

post #9 of 601 Old 08-16-2000, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

tshort,

If your only application is for DTV channels it's as easy as hooking just the 4248 to the RG6 to the antenna input on the back of your DTC-100 or future 6000 OTA module. Where you are you'll probably be fine with a Radio Shack commbined UHF/VHF antenna (buy one model up from what they recommend). You will not need a rotator as you will be pointing at the same area. You only need the UHF & VHF combiner if you have an existing UHF/VHF antenna that you want to hook to a new UHF only antenna.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #10 of 601 Old 08-16-2000, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

WBZ-DT is off the air tonight so don't try too hard to pick us up. Defective sync generator and waiting for a circuit board to arrive. We have some redundant equipment but are still building up the infrastructure. Unlike the long established analog (money making) side of the operation which has backups to backups and loads of redundancy, WBZ-DT is still in its infancy.

Bob Hess
post #11 of 601 Old 08-17-2000, 07:08 AM

Tshort,

I am next door in Wayland, and receiving all 4 Boston DTV stations, but it took a bit of work. I am surrounded by hills on 3 sides ~100 feet above (the glacial kettle) my house. I also have many 75 foot pines on my property causing much Multi-path interference. I bought a Winguard UHF only antenna (u-do-it electronics in Needham) for about $60. It took a great deal of experimenting to get it aimed right.

Buy RG-6 quad shield. Home Depot is a good source, I am on my 2nd 500' spool.

Bob Hess,

I could swear I watched Survivor last night On WBZ-DT, although it looked a little fuzzier than normal. Did you beg, borrow or steal to get it back on the air? I don't care what they say about you here... Yo Da Man

------------------
Nothing difficult ever turns out to be easy

post #12 of 601 Old 08-17-2000, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim_S:

Bob Hess,

I could swear I watched Survivor last night On WBZ-DT, although it looked a little fuzzier than normal. Did you beg, borrow or steal to get it back on the air? I don't care what they say about you here... Yo Da Man

Yep, you're correct. They guys got it up and running.

Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob Hess (edited August 17, 2000).]
post #13 of 601 Old 08-17-2000, 07:57 AM

I know this is off topic, but. Is there any chance of getting the New England Patriots in HDTV this season. I don't know if the local stations or the networks broadcast this. it would be nice if our local CBS station could do some games.

CBS sounds to me to be the leader in HDTV. (although I haven't seen it yet) but from what I hear I can't wait.

good work Mr. Hess
post #14 of 601 Old 08-17-2000, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

If the Patriots make it all the way, they will be in Hi Def. See the thread, below:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/005816.html

For the CBS NFL schedule and New England Patriots games, check out:
http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/featu...038_59,00.html

- Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob Hess (edited August 17, 2000).]
post #15 of 601 Old 08-17-2000, 12:14 PM

Mr. Hess,

First you promised us the tower in April, and now your talking about the patriots going all the way. Fool me once...

(sorry I couldn't resist :-)

------------------

post #16 of 601 Old 08-17-2000, 12:26 PM

Hmm... will football be broadcast on the digital channel... HD or not? Will WBZ-DT be simulcasting everything from WBZ-TV once the tower work is done?

I don't get HD yet (no tuner), so I can't even try it out yet.

post #17 of 601 Old 08-17-2000, 12:46 PM

Tshort

WBZ simulcasts everything now, but almost everything is upconverted from the NTSC signal. The picture is a little sharper the sound is better but IMHO I wouldn't drop the $600 on a DTC-100 just for DTV. Take it from an early adopter (the term RCA uses when they really mean a fool with money) there are not many true HDTV OTA programs to justify the cost of the box.

------------------

post #18 of 601 Old 08-17-2000, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mr. Hess,

First you promised us the tower in April, and now your talking about the patriots going all the way. Fool me once...

(sorry I couldn't resist :-)

Good thing I have a sense of humor, Jim!

- Bob
post #19 of 601 Old 08-17-2000, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I am next door in Wayland, and receiving all 4 Boston DTV stations, but it took a bit of work. I am surrounded by hills on 3 sides ~100 feet above (the glacial kettle) my house. I also have many 75 foot pines on my property causing much Multi-path interference. I bought a Winguard UHF only antenna (u-do-it electronics in Needham) for about $60. It took a great deal of experimenting to get it aimed right.

Buy RG-6 quad shield. Home Depot is a good source, I am on my 2nd 500' spool.

I agree, HD is the place to go... I had previously bought enough to extend my cable connection to the living room via the basement... (Everytime I go to HD I end up spending no less than $200!) Now I just gotta see if I can feed the cable through the house to the attic... I'd rather not do a roof antenna (a little thing called "fear of falling!") I'm going to check out Radio Shack and see what they got for antennas and motors.

According to the topographic maps on MS's terraserver, I don't seem to be in too bad shape, there is a good sized hill to the north, and some smaller hills to the east, but I don't think they're that bad... to the east is fairly clear of trees for me... but I have to get an HD Tuner first...

Bob,

Will Patriots football be in HD or SD? Does CBS/WBZ-DT still cover the AFC?

[This message has been edited by tshort (edited August 17, 2000).]

post #20 of 601 Old 08-18-2000, 05:12 AM

Bob:

Finally, some good news for football fans. You predicted more CBS HD sports a couple months ago, so...

Although I understand you're probably sworn to secrecy up to a certain point in time, is there anything you can share with us as to additional prime-time HD broadcasts this year on CBS?

As always, thanks.

Jeff

post #21 of 601 Old 08-18-2000, 06:51 AM

Quote:
WBZ simulcasts everything now, but almost everything is upconverted from the NTSC signal. The picture is a little sharper the sound is better
Good... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
Quote:
but IMHO I wouldn't drop the $600 on a DTC-100 just for DTV. Take it from an early adopter (the term RCA uses when they really mean a fool with money) there are not many true HDTV OTA programs to justify the cost of the box.
How about not-quite-a-fool-with-money? That describes me! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

post #22 of 601 Old 08-26-2000, 04:10 PM

I got my antenna and SH-D09 Tuner!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am getting WCVB-DT (ABC 20.1), WHDH-DT (NBC 40.1) and WFXT-DT (Fox 31.2), all without having to rotate my antenna... I can't get WBZ-DT though.

Everything is SD, and NBC is in 4:3 mode. On Fox, the top and bottom of the picture is chopped off (the Digital Bug is cut off). I saw Fox in the store earlier, and could've swore that it wasn't chopped.

I will say that the picture on all three is better than my cable.

Any new news on the tower?

post #23 of 601 Old 08-26-2000, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
How good is your STB "SH-D09" preforming and did you have signal meter readout on your STB?

And also is STB a 2nd genertion chip that should solve some of mutipath issue!

And what kind of antenna are you using?

Thank you for your time.....

8-26-00

------------------
"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #24 of 601 Old 08-26-2000, 06:54 PM

TShort

What is "SH-D09" and why is N5XZS (Timothy C. Johnson) sending you 73's without 88's attached? Sorry, once a ham, always a ham.

Use 20.1 (WCVB) to "tweak" your antenna, to find WBZ. 1 or 2 degrees either way locks or loses the signal on WBZ. It rains, I lose it, do it while its clear. Play with the rotor, you will find it.

------------------

post #25 of 601 Old 08-26-2000, 09:21 PM

NSXZS:
The SH-D09 is made by Pioneer Elite and is designed to be embedded into the Pioneer Elite PRO510HD, PRO610HD and PRO710HD. The advantage is that is uses the same remote as the TV and does not use any of the inputs on the TV. It works only with the PROx10HD series. It is the second embedded tuner, replacing the SH-D07 in January 2000. It does not, however, indicate the type of signal being received (e.g. 1080i vs. 720p vs. 480i vs. 480p).

I have an 80" antenna from Radio Shack (see http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/006052.html (the 100" had the same number of elements), without amplification, installed in my attic. I have a rotator on it to allow me to adjust it.

With my antenna, I get 8 out of 9 on (88%?) on WCVB-DT 20.01. I have not been able to get WBZ, but I can certainly rotate my antenna.

I am now getting 5 channels!

WCVB-TV (ABC) on 20.1
WHDH-DT (NBC) on 42.1
WFXT-DT (Fox) on 31.2
WHUB-DT (Ind) on 23.1
WHSH-DT (HSN) on 23.2 (? It doesn't say HSN, it says "America's Store", but WHUB took the channel over from WHSH..., whatever, this is shopping TV)

Note the same channel number on WHUB and WHSN!

I tried the rotator, but couldn't get WBZ-DT. Is it still at low power? If so, I might not be able to get it.

post #26 of 601 Old 08-27-2000, 04:13 AM

Tshort,

I have the same problem with 30.1. I am SW of the tower, maybe 5 miles and according to Bob Hess I am in a null of the temporary antenna's pattern. I have the 100" version of the antenna you have and cannot receive it either. Are you SW of the tower?
post #27 of 601 Old 08-27-2000, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thank you Tshort,

That was a nice info, on the Sh-d09!!

I just hope our Albuquerque TV stations goes on the air in digital somtime by the end of year if not mayby early next year!

Party on guys!!

8-27-00

------------------
"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #28 of 601 Old 08-27-2000, 03:44 PM

wclark:

I am WNW of Needham. My antenna is pointed ESE (at least, according to the rotator...). I DID orient the antenna with a compass when I first installed it.

Durn it... I want CBS... although I'm not a fan of CBS' comedies, although I did find Everyone Loves Raymond funny when I saw it on a coast-to-coast flight. I'm more interested in getting football in! (In case no one knows, CBS carries the AFC New England Patriots.)

post #29 of 601 Old 08-28-2000, 01:44 PM

I would kill to se the Pats in HD.

If the tower is ready and the Pats play a game that is broadcast in HD from CBS, will it show up as 16:9 or that wierd 14:9?

Maldini
post #30 of 601 Old 08-28-2000, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Guys,

In a meeting I had with the tower contractor, on Friday, he told me we should have all of the analog and digital antennas active by the end of September, perhaps sooner. Now, as I said before, past predictions have been a little less than accurate, so don't schedule your party around any CBS HDTV just yet. The closer we get, the more accurate the predictions, however. And speaking of parties, stay tuned....

By the way, the best way to find WBZ-DT is to point your antenna for the best, noise free, ghost free picture on analog channel 44. Works almost every time if you're within 20 miles of Needham (less to the south and west).

Bob Hess
Director, Broadcast Operations/Engineering
WBZ
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page