The Best Cheapest HDTV out there? Everybody should get 1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-09-2001, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This set is a year old now, but it continues to impress me. This is BY FAR the cheapest HDTV in this size and of this quality out there, you can get 1 at half a dozen internet stores at around $2400 and Sears will match that price. I Expect it to drop to around $2000 in the next couple months. What impresses me more than the price is the absolutely STUNNING reviews of this set you see, and I'll paste links below. I am astounded by the reviews and the overall rating of a set that's around $2000 and is clearly not talked about enough in here. If more people were introduced to this set, I truly believe HDTV might catch on because it's so damn affordable. Anyway what TV am I talking about? The Panasonic PT-56WXF95. And I urge all of you to go to the links below. I'll start with the professional review, then the consumer's review:

http://www.etown.com/categories/product_review.jhtml?productID=2295&bodyinclude= product_review

http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/H...uct_9285.shtml

[This message has been edited by dpak2000 (edited 01-09-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-09-2001, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
dpak2000,

Could you please post the sites that sell this TV for $2400. Some additional info to consider:

1. Only RPTV to support 720P

2. Has some quality problems (see http://www.egroups.com/group/PanasonicPT56WXF95)

3. Incompatability problems with DTC100

Jay

[This message has been edited by jerndl (edited 01-09-2001).]
post #3 of 17 Old 01-09-2001, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
dpak2000, I thought it was "D'Ahlia or death" for you?
post #4 of 17 Old 01-09-2001, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

I like the Dahlia, and this isn't really a topic on my favorite HDTv, I'm simply amazed at that price level that you can get that quality of HDTV. I think that it kinda makes you wonder why more people aren't getting into HDTV
post #5 of 17 Old 01-09-2001, 05:50 PM

Liked: 14
dpak2000, please do tell where it's "around $2400". One Call lists it for $2783.50, plus not-insignificant shipping. I'd say realistically it's a set near $3000, not $2000.

Movies look their best when they look like movies. More Patton-esque remasters!

post #6 of 17 Old 01-09-2001, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

In so far as Mitsu has committed to its customers that an upgrade to a digital connection will be available for its sets, I'd suggest the WT46807 instead. It's about $2500 (sometimes cheaper at internet sites), and is a very nice set with better convergence options in the user menus than the Panasonic.

Moreover, in talking with my local high-end dealer about the sets they've sold, the Panasonic gets poor marks for quality - in his words, "they're boomerangs - I get one out the door, and it comes back in the next week". He's reported no such problems with the Mitsubishi, Sony or Pioneer sets that he also sells.

Just My 0.02
post #7 of 17 Old 01-09-2001, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

That mitsubishi set you talk about is SMALL compared to the panasonic. It's not a comparabale probuct. And normally I would believe what you said , but after reading the 20 odd reviews from actual purchasers from the audioreview.com site I posted in my first message, I'd say that's misinformation, there might be some quality problems but nothing major and nothing other TV's don't have. Why else do you think it has such a high rating, I suggest you click on my two links before commenting negatively. I know for example Mitsubishis have MAJOR convergence problems out of the box and they all have red push problems. But the last line of the professional Etown review and spending hours at The Good Guys (an electronics store in the west coast) looking at this set confirms it has a BEAUTIFUL picture: "the PT-56WXF95 is a relative steal for a 56-inch model. It has just about every feature you could want in an HDTV. I highly recommend this outstanding piece."

On the price, you are correct, the cheapest price is $2700 now not $2400. I apologize for that I know I saw a $2400 and since most internet dealers price match, it wouldn't be hard to match that price, but I can't find it now, I'll keep looking.

[This message has been edited by dpak2000 (edited 01-09-2001).]
post #8 of 17 Old 01-09-2001, 08:55 PM

As the owner of both the Panasonic WXF95a and the Mitsubishi 46807 I can safely say that the Panasonic has a better picture color and quality (in addition to 720p) out of the box while the Mitsubishi has more inputs and a little better configuration menus/options.
Both sets are well worth the money.

Can't wait for a 4k projector that is under 5k dinero.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-09-2001, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yah I forgot what some people call the major benefit of this TV, the native 720P, if any of you are watching NYPD Blue tonight from ABC, that's native 720P http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif If you had this set, you could watch it without upconversion to 1080i.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-09-2001, 09:54 PM

I know this might not be the right forum, but since we are talking about the pany...did anyone ever get this model to work with a HTPC at 720p without any problems? I know there were issues with the video converters and lines at the top and such, but no one ever followed up with a positive response. Thanks

Jason

Jason
post #11 of 17 Old 01-09-2001, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

"That mitsubishi set you talk about is SMALL compared to the panasonic. It's not a comparabale probuct. And normally I would believe what you said , but after reading the 20 odd reviews from actual purchasers from the audioreview.com site I posted in my first message, I'd say that's misinformation, there might be some quality problems but nothing major and nothing other TV's don't have. Why else do you think it has such a high rating, I suggest you click on my two links before commenting negatively.

I read the links, but I don't put too much faith in internet reviews, for the simple reason that most individuals will defend their purchase decisions, even if they bought a lemon (not saying the Panny is lemon mind you...). I should note that I don't have a Mitsubishi....

It is true that the Mitsu is 46", the Panny 56", and I personally wouldn't consider anything under 65" for the primary set, but since we're talking $$$, it seemed appropriate to throw out a couple of other options. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
post #12 of 17 Old 01-10-2001, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

This is not even a contest:
Off course the Sampo 34" Direct View HDTV (720p, 1080i) for $2800 is the best bang for the buck.

get the latest prices at www.mysimon.com

Jens Wellmann
President
PC DTV Technologies, LLC
post #13 of 17 Old 01-10-2001, 07:33 AM

Why is a smalle direct view set that costs more a better bang for the buck than a much larger RPTV that costs less????

*boggles*

Can't wait for a 4k projector that is under 5k dinero.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-10-2001, 07:45 AM

Thanks dkeller_NC for putting down all of us less than 65" set owners out here.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-10-2001, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

"I read the links, but I don't put too much faith in internet reviews, for the simple reason that most individuals will defend their purchase decisions, even if they bought a lemon (not saying the Panny is lemon mind you...). I should note that I don't have a Mitsubishi...."

As a proud owner of a mitsu 55805, and an internet review writer of said product, I am here to defend my purchase.

Ahem.. My TV is the bestest cause I bought it and it is cool.

Seriously though,
Price - 2850 new, incl delivery from local mistu dealer.

Online Support and Tweakability - ***************.com. This site alone is reason enough to buy a mitsu. From this site Ive rec'd detail instructions on convergence, red push fix (in service mode), manual AND electronic focus. Im no ISF tech, but with all the mods Ive made, I know I saved a butt load. My local ISF guy wanted 200 additional for the focus work alone.

Compatibility with dtc 100 - 500 bucks plus rgb cable = superbowl in hi def. whoo hoo!

Amazing progressive dvd performance.- The video quality is awesome. Now my girlfriend would rather we stay home and watch movies instead of going out! From watching test patterns on VE, I know this set is displaying the maximum resolution from the dvd format. If mostly what you do is watch dvd's its silly to pay more for a tv.

Just ranting about my exorbitant purchases online, in a vain attempt to justify me having them. Somebody shoot me.

K
post #16 of 17 Old 01-10-2001, 12:26 PM

HI, I think I saw this panasonic RPTV in Costco Wholeseler for ~$2400.00 in Yonkers.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-10-2001, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks dkeller_NC for putting down all of us less than 65" set owners out here.

I think you miss the point - I'm just an example of how bad a sickness the HT bug can produce! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page