Verizon FiOS Installation & Hardware - Master Topic! - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 3340 Old 06-18-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are "NAT rating" and "open NAT"? I've been doing home networks for a decade and I've never heard either of those terms. If you run an Ethernet cable from your ONT to your router location, you can call Verizon and have them switch the data connection from MoCA to Ethernet. You can then use your home router in front of everything, keeping the Verizon router only for the MoCA connection to your set top boxes (for guide data and VOD). http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3340 Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
In computer networking, network address translation (NAT) is the process of modifying IP address information in IP packet headers while in transit across a traffic routing device.
post #3333 of 3340 Old 07-07-2011, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm well aware of what NAT is, but I've never heard the terms "NAT rating" or "open NAT".
post #3334 of 3340 Old 07-07-2011, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 89
without digging through the entire thread, does anyone know how Verizon does installs for MDU's?...I live in an apartment complex in Manhattan (3 buildings of 27 floors and 2 buildings of 10 floors)...Verizon is in the process on installing the cabling on the floors but it seemed like 2 years or so since I first heard that my building was going to be FIOS ready

they first started installing some boxes in all the stairways and drilling into the stairway walls to connect all the pipes...that part finished and in April they started the wiring/cabling on every floor...that also seemed unusually long as it took over 2 months just for them to finish my building (27 floors)...my building management says they should be finished by the end of the summer but at the rate they are going I'm having my doubts

what is the entire process of getting a large apartment building all ready for FIOS?...will there be a central ONT in the building basement or will every apartment have their own separate one?...is the in-home ONT the best option?...and why is Verizon so slow in regards to the whole setup procedure?
post #3335 of 3340 Old 07-07-2011, 12:24 PM
shv

The sad news is that Verizon does not provide the same level of FiOS service in a multi-dwelling unit as in a private home.
More than likely they'll have something like a Coyote MPUs in a staircase splitting to 8 fibers, then converting to coax (RG6, yet don't hope for Belden 1694A, unless they can cannibablize the coax of a previous cable provider).

Already from the fiber split, it's unlikely they'll ever scale over 50mbps downstream. Verizon Residential FiOS will make no exception, so even if you run your own fiber to the staircase, they can't use it or retrofit the equipment on your floor, besides the fact that you won't get better than 50mbps. If you want more, they'll switch you to the business division, and they told me they could not graft from the Coyote MPU ; they have to run a separate ONT from the basement and a separate fiber. In addition, there are City regulatory restrictions so even if you spend the money and Verizon is happy to take it, they might not be allowed to deploy the FTTH, assuming you coop/condo/condop Board is welcoming. If you are lucky however, you could get the current 150Mbps upstream/60Mbps downstream.
Otherwise, it's FTTS (Fiber To The Staircase) , certainly not comparable to the FTTH you can get in a private home, where FIOS residential can run fiber all the way to your router, and give you that 150Mbps performance.
I am even surprised that RCN (running fiber risers in buildings since 1996) and CableVision Lightpath (running through Manhattan) have not thought of offering an FTTA solution (Fiber To The Apartment).
Once cable companies started raking in with cable modems in the mid-90's, Verizon started all of a sudden offering DSL on copper pairs, yet they could have done that ten years before....
Looks like the FiOS investment for apartments/MDU might not scale with the bandwith explosion of ipTV and the like, and once higher quality content sets in (e.g. 4320p for which there are displays now), someone will have to rethink the economics of a home in Laotto, Indiana expected to pay for 1Gbps downstream whereas that 2M$ apartment in Manhattan can't get over 50mbps from Residential FIOS.

Not sure how many people moved from an apartment to a house to get FiOS FTTH, but there might be another bubble forming !

Cheers,

Chris
post #3336 of 3340 Old 12-29-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What are the pros/cons ordering a multiroom DVR--if it'll only be used for one room? For a mid-January triple-play FIOS install I ordered one multiroom thinking it might be newer, have more storage capacity, etc. Probably could still change the order if the cons outweigh the pros.

A few misc topics: Using my current TWC 8300HD DVR and its RF coax output, I feed two ancient 480i-only (switch-selected) small TVs in the same room as the 8300HD. FIOS's signup pushed a no-charge SD STB, too. Just substitute the SD STB for the current 480i coax feed?

They're also hooking up a free ~$139 wireless router, which I'd use to finally connect my PC to my Sony PS3/Blu-ray (~20' between them, via wire). Assume I could then view my PC via the PS3 hooked to my 65" HD plasma? Also assume I could--and should--use one of the three security software install options ($6/mo) for the PS3 as well as my PC? FIOS's general hardware description doesn't mention a cable modem, so does the router have this Internet/phone function built into it? [EDIT:A FIOS rep confirmed that's the case.] Thanks for any answers. -- John
post #3337 of 3340 Old 12-29-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shv View Post

The sad news is that Verizon does not provide the same level of FiOS service in a multi-dwelling unit as in a private home.
More than likely they'll have something like a Coyote MPUs in a staircase splitting to 8 fibers, then converting to coax (RG6, yet don't hope for Belden 1694A, unless they can cannibablize the coax of a previous cable provider).

Already from the fiber split, it's unlikely they'll ever scale over 50mbps downstream....

Sure hope not; (that is, no work-around available). Expecting a mid-January FIOS install in mid-Manhattan, but it's only a 50/30 Mbps. [EDIT: Ugh. Spoke with a Verizon rep who confirmed 50 Mbps is max for this Manhattan building. Stunning. They've managed to cripple fiber-optics tech, capable of 100s of Gbps, down to this--whatever the ~470 channels, with ~135 HDs, add up to, besides 50 Mbps.] Glanced at an open floor/stairwell box being installed recently (~21-floor building) and it didn't seem to have coax hookups, but instead what looked like single wires on a terminal panel--unlike the TWC and RCN coax-stuffed terminal boxes also here for each floor.

AIUI, FIOS goofed with their initial IPTV plans (tech wasn't ready), so that's been limiting HD channel offerings, even if a separate fiber multiplex frequency helps free bandwidth for phone/Internet.

Keep seeing discussion of "1.9" relating to FIOS and DVRs, but haven't dug into the topic. Suppose it's too optimistic to think that means full-bandwidth HDTV, equal to current FIOS HD channels, will soon be accessible to FIOS subscribers with adequate Mbps capacity (via IPTV)? [EDIT: After some study, just a a guide upgrade, it appears.] -- John
post #3338 of 3340 Old 04-21-2012, 06:29 AM

I had Verizon install a FiOS Triple Play setup in central NJ on 28 Mar 12. When ordering, I had requested that the existing Verizon POTS line be maintained, that the existing Vonage VoIP line be ported to FiOS, and that the existing Comcast cable TV and Internet be ported to FiOS. I also had a few items in there about locating all Verizon gear at a basement central wiring panel, running the optical cable a certain way, using my own router, etc., and while I expected a few complications, Verizon assured me that all would go per plan.

Well, they were largely correct, and I must say that the techs themselves did an outstanding job and really made an installation that either met or exceeded my (perhaps) demanding specifications. OTOH the head office needed a little coaxing. One of the techs had an order to install FiOS TV and Internet (from Comcast), and a second tech had a separate order to port the Verizon POTS over to FiOS This arrangement wasn't going anywhere and I cordially told both chaps that messing with the POTS line was a deal breaker (it's a fax/alarm/independent always-available line that I simply don't want to lose).

While one tech brought the fiber cable in from the street box to the basement panel (and he did this in an essentially invisible manner that barely disturbed the exterior walls of my home), the other tech got on the line and "handled" the home office for about an hour and a half, finally getting my (new) Verizon Wireless account "one-billed" to the existing POTS account. They both then arranged to have the old Vonage ported over to FiOS, installed the ONT (and then replaced it with a new box immediately when it proved defective), and basically knocked the ball out of the park. The TV cabling alone was worth the price of entry.

Subsequent to the install, I did have to replace the original 6416 with a new box when the original proved defective (and I later replaced the rerplacement with a 7232). I've so far also managed to add back an ASUS RT-N16 router that I particularly like (thanks DSL Reports for the guidance), piggyback off the 7232 to support a handful of old analog TV's, run remote IR off an old ChannelPlus distro box and modulation setup, feed a DVD/VHS recorder off the 7323, etc, etc. Lotsa fun and just slightly above my pay grade.

As for the services themselves, I came from the position of never having used any type of set top box (only cable cards) to an abundance of riches. FiOS Internet actually delivers 50/20 at all times, TV reception is perfect, the Verizon FiOS has yet to drop out (a common occurence with earlier ATT CallVantage and Vonage), etc. I am pleased.

Meanwhile I am learning the ins and outs of dealing with Verizon billing, chasing after credits, getting returned equipment credits, playing with "One Bill," and so on. This will probably last a few billing cycles, but what the heck, it keeps me out of trouble. For the time being. Hail Verizon (and I am ordering a Verizon flag for the front of the house).

ADDED AFTER POSTING: Now that I think about it, when "finished," I will have replaced the original ONT, the original DVR, and the original standard STB, all due to faulty equipment that the techs could not have forseen. Aside from that, no issues to speak of, but it does seem that Verizon is using an array of less than perfect gear on their new installs.

ADDED 21 May 2012: The equipment is still running perfectly. There have been zero drop-outs, signal losses, etc. I added two Harmony remotes that function perfectly with a broad range of both new and dated equipment, and now my wife has one-button access to the DVR, Netflix, and other services from any room in the house (we all know that, like it or not, this is a "guy" thing in most households). Meanwhile the billing drama continues as a low-throated hum in the background, as I chase a few final crerdits and clarify billing situations that were incorrectly presented to me during the intitial order. The quality of customer service seems so far a few levels above my Comcast experiences, although stumbling through the expanse of Verizon web sites and learning the ropes takes patience. That's all for now.

Armond
Central New Jersey USA
post #3339 of 3340 Old 04-21-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post

I had Verizon install a FiOS Triple Play setup in central NJ on 28 Mar 12. When ordering, I had requested that the existing Verizon POTS line be maintained, that the existing Vonage VoIP line be ported to FiOS, and that the existing Comcast cable TV and Internet be ported to FiOS. I also had a few items in there about locating all Verizon gear at a basement central wiring panel, running the optical cable a certain way, using my own router, etc., and while I expected a few complications, Verizon assured me that all would go per plan.

Curious -- did you opt for the "Triple Play" because of the bundled discount (vs. double play, etc.)? You already have Vonage, which takes the place of the Verizon VOIP. So, there's a duplication there, no? What's the benefit?

Edit: It dawned on me (duh!) that you'd be giving up Vonage and just keeping the number for your FIOS VOIP. Must have misread that the first time. When I saw "VoIP line", it threw me. You meant VoIP phone number. I thought for some reason you were keeping Vonage.
post #3340 of 3340 Old 04-21-2012, 01:22 PM

Has anyone gotten any kind of "site survey" done with FIOS before the install? I'm in an apartment building that's cookie-cutter to some degree, but only in the various "lines". In other words, 4P would be the same layout as 5P, but not 5M. No one in my line has opted for FIOS yet, so I don't have anyone to ask about it.

I'd like to know where the ONT box would be installed, because I sure as hell don't want it just sitting on an exposed inside wall. The problem is that there aren't many other options, lol. I'd like to throw it in a closet, but there's no electrical outlet there.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page