Verizon FiOS Installation & Hardware - Master Topic! - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3340 Old 07-10-2006, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2759 Post(s)
Liked: 2491
Well I've finally got my installation date of 7/21. I would LOVE nothing better than to kick out both D* and Cablevision if all goes well.....especially D*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3340 Old 07-10-2006, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Does anyone have the PDF manual for the FIOS HD receiver or PVR?

Thanks.

Edit: OK, never mind, I got it on the FIOS site. Does anyone have a shot of the guide grid? How many hours out does it go and is the guide designed for a 16:9 aspect ratio TV? It never fails to amaze me how the cable PVR guide, even though it's an HD PVR, is obviously designed for a 4:3 set and doesn't take advantage of the 16:9 real estate.
post #453 of 3340 Old 07-10-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've got one concern. If you're watching SD programming while using HDMI, can you set the FIOS box to maintain 1080i output? I can do that with both D* and cable while using HDMI, but looking at the PDF on the FIOS PVR, it looks like it reverts to 480i when it senses SD programming. Can you just keep everything output at 1080i via HDMI?
post #454 of 3340 Old 07-10-2006, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Does anyone have the PDF manual for the FIOS HD receiver or PVR?

Thanks.

Edit: OK, never mind, I got it on the FIOS site. Does anyone have a shot of the guide grid? How many hours out does it go and is the guide designed for a 16:9 aspect ratio TV? It never fails to amaze me how the cable PVR guide, even though it's an HD PVR, is obviously designed for a 4:3 set and doesn't take advantage of the 16:9 real estate.

Here is what I am getting on my 16:9 set over HDMI:

1. Guide goes out for 1.5 hours, which is rather slight. Text used is somewhat large-ish, which means you can't see much of the program title in many cases. The smaller fonts on the TiVos are better.

2. The guide fills the whole screen and is being output at 16:9 1080i (if that is what you are set up for).

Note that if you move all the way to the left and highlight the channel number/desc itself and select you will get a screen that shows an "classic TiVo"-like view with all of the programs on that stations for many hours in the future. This is actually the default view I tended to use on my TiVo. I tend to you it on the FiOS DVR for such things are scrolling through the next couple of days of HD movie channel selections and such not.

IMHO the guide is "okay" but could be better.

BTW, you can see reasonable samples of what the FiOS guide, etc. looks like by going to the Microsoft Foundation TV site: Here
post #455 of 3340 Old 07-10-2006, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks BTDT. The guide shown on that site doesn't look too bad, certainly better than cable. Another poster mentioned his guide was 4:3, so I'm not sure why he's got it set that way.

So on SD programs are you getting a constant 1080i output? I just don't like the receiver switching when it's set for native mode. It forces the display to constantly resynch when going from an HD channel to an SD channel.
post #456 of 3340 Old 07-10-2006, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Thanks BTDT. The guide shown on that site doesn't look too bad, certainly better than cable. Another poster mentioned his guide was 4:3, so I'm not sure why he's got it set that way.

So on SD programs are you getting a constant 1080i output? I just don't like the receiver switching when it's set for native mode. It forces the display to constantly resynch when going from an HD channel to an SD channel.

Ken,

You can set up the DVR to either give you 480i in native resolution or upconvert to 1080i/720p. I agree that the resync is undesireable. The only reason you would want to use native mode is if you want to use a "zoom" mode of some sort on the 4:3 picture, which isn't necessary unless maybe on a RP-CRT. Upconverted you have an option to either display the 4:3 image with black side bars or stretched to fill the screen.
post #457 of 3340 Old 07-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Yes ($4 each for a SD box). You can get all the channels under 50 with a cable-ready tv. But this is only limited basic cable (OTA mostly).

So out of the ONT F* broadcasts a set of analog channels 1-50 that any cable ready tv/vcr can demodulate? Does anyone have a listing of these channels (No VA area?) I"m thinking of 4 fios tv locations...1 with CableCard, 1 with STB, 1 with cable ready NTSC ReplayTV DVR and 1 with cable ready tv. I really don't wanna pay for two more STBs if the analog channels are sufficient (like the 1-69 I now get via Adelphia analog to all my cable ready tvs.)

Derek
post #458 of 3340 Old 07-11-2006, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTDT View Post

Ken,

You can set up the DVR to either give you 480i in native resolution or upconvert to 1080i/720p. I agree that the resync is undesireable. The only reason you would want to use native mode is if you want to use a "zoom" mode of some sort on the 4:3 picture, which isn't necessary unless maybe on a RP-CRT. Upconverted you have an option to either display the 4:3 image with black side bars or stretched to fill the screen.

Thanks BTDT! Very reassuring. Those were the only issues bothering me.
post #459 of 3340 Old 07-11-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post

So out of the ONT F* broadcasts a set of analog channels 1-50 that any cable ready tv/vcr can demodulate? Does anyone have a listing of these channels (No VA area?) I"m thinking of 4 fios tv locations...1 with CableCard, 1 with STB, 1 with cable ready NTSC ReplayTV DVR and 1 with cable ready tv. I really don't wanna pay for two more STBs if the analog channels are sufficient (like the 1-69 I now get via Adelphia analog to all my cable ready tvs.)

You are only going to receive your local channels along with WGN. Everything else will require a STB.

http://www22.verizon.com/content/fio...20Virginia.pdf
post #460 of 3340 Old 07-11-2006, 11:10 AM

I searched this thread and couldn't find an answer to the following question: For the Moto HD DVR can you edit the electronic program guide to only show the channels that you want to watch? My wife and I only watch a handful of channels and basically don't want the kids to be watching a lot of other stuff.

thanks in advance for any help

rob
post #461 of 3340 Old 07-11-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopnoop View Post

I searched this thread and couldn't find an answer to the following question: For the Moto HD DVR can you edit the electronic program guide to only show the channels that you want to watch? My wife and I only watch a handful of channels and basically don't want the kids to be watching a lot of other stuff.

rob

Yes, you can. It's quite simple.

Tom in TX
post #462 of 3340 Old 07-11-2006, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopnoop View Post

rob

Yes as Tom said it quite simple but there are two ways. One is to remove them from the Guide and the channel up/down function on the remote. If you use this method the channels are still available if you manually type in the channel number. The other method is Parental Control which will lock out the channel with a code. So you have a choice.

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #463 of 3340 Old 07-11-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq_shadimar View Post

Yes as Tom said it quite simple but there are two ways. One is to remove them from the Guide and the channel up/down function on the remote. If you use this method the channels are still available if you manually type in the channel number. The other method is Parental Control which will lock out the channel with a code. So you have a choice.

Laters,
Jeff

thanks!

I assume that you can do both and therefore keep certain unwanted channels out of the guide and also unavailable if typed in directly. Is that the case?
post #464 of 3340 Old 07-11-2006, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hoopnoop -

Yes that is the case.

Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #465 of 3340 Old 07-11-2006, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

As promised here is the manual for the new Actiontec Router

Actiontec Router Manual

Enjoy!
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #466 of 3340 Old 07-13-2006, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just had FIOS TV installed today in McLean, VA and wanted to share my experience. I had DISH for about a year before deciding to go to FIOS TV, mainly due to drop out issue with DISH and also ability to get local HD with FIOS. I already had FIOS internet for about a year. The install took about 3 hours for 3 DVR and 1 STB. I got the new ActionTec Router. The wireless performance is superior to my old Linksys WiFi G router in terms of coverage.

3 DVRs are connected to 1365 x 1024 HD Projector via component, Samsung HL-S 1080P DLP via HDMI, and Sceptre 1080P LCD via component. The picture quality both SD and HD are on par with DISH. I think local HD is slightly worse than what I got with OTA HD. The difference in SD quality between different channels must have to do with source. Local channels and movie channels in SD show very good PQ whereas channels like Boomerang appear heavily compressed. They did fix the digital audio out issue with the DVR. I am able to get DD5.1 with digital coaxial when using HDMI. I had one instance of lip sync issue on UPN, but this may be due to the station, as all the other channels looked and sounded fine.

ps. But I do miss my Kungfu channel in HD from DISH.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #467 of 3340 Old 07-13-2006, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

As promised here is the manual for the new Actiontec Router

Actiontec Router Manual

Enjoy!
Jeff

Thanks!
post #468 of 3340 Old 07-13-2006, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Amongst all my video monitors, I have a Samsung 23" hung on the wall in my kitchen. New construction. No visible wires. The tv is like a picture on a wall with no shelves nearby.

I want to sign up for the FiOS, but don't see how I can pull it off on this TV.

Has anyone else encountered this? I can't belive I am the first guy they have encountered.

Thanks for any help.

Denm
No. Va
post #469 of 3340 Old 07-13-2006, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It depends on how the TV was installed. Did they run conduit in the wall to pull more wires through? WHat wires are already inside the wall.

You may have to either pull some wires yourself, or have and HT installation guy come do it for you.

The other question would be where would you put the STB?
post #470 of 3340 Old 07-13-2006, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin_R6 View Post

It depends on how the TV was installed. Did they run conduit in the wall to pull more wires through? WHat wires are already inside the wall.

You may have to either pull some wires yourself, or have and HT installation guy come do it for you.

The other question would be where would you put the STB?

I think my only option is to run an HDMI, or get a new TV that has a video card. I understand that FIOS can connect to a video card, but then you can't do the on demand stuff.

New TV would be easier.
post #471 of 3340 Old 07-13-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenM3 View Post

I think my only option is to run an HDMI, or get a new TV that has a video card. I understand that FIOS can connect to a video card, but then you can't do the on demand stuff.

New TV would be easier.

Yes Fios does supprt Cable Cards, which has the added benifit of you not having to find a place for the Cable Box and still be able to control it with the remote.

With the CC I think you would lose the EPG, and VOD/PPV.
post #472 of 3340 Old 07-14-2006, 12:06 PM
TCP

I just moved from D* to Fios. Like the picture but miss my Tivo.

Question. When watching live tv, how can you reverse or go back a few min? Easy as pie on Tivo but I can't figure it out on my Moto.

Thanks
post #473 of 3340 Old 07-15-2006, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCP View Post

I just moved from D* to Fios. Like the picture but miss my Tivo.

Question. When watching live tv, how can you reverse or go back a few min? Easy as pie on Tivo but I can't figure it out on my Moto.

Thanks

Hit the REW button?
post #474 of 3340 Old 07-16-2006, 11:25 AM
TCP

Maybe I'm not doing something right. The other day I tried to use the REW button and it didn't work last night it did.

If no one is having the same problem it must be user error
post #475 of 3340 Old 07-17-2006, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCP View Post

Maybe I'm not doing something right. The other day I tried to use the REW button and it didn't work last night it did.

If no one is having the same problem it must be user error

What you are experiencing is the crappy remote to DVR reaction - it's very slow and must be aimed just right.
post #476 of 3340 Old 07-17-2006, 08:28 AM

Ken and others your quote below might explain the problem Im having? If anyone might have some insight please jump in. I am noticing that when changing channels that sometimes the image will start bouncing a little, for example if the espn logo was on the screen it will be moving up and down. It will stop after a while or from a reset of the box. It can be quite annoying. Verizon came out and we swapped hd boxes and it stopped for awhile. But has since come back. You guy's think it might be a bad hdmi to dvi cable or this setting where the tv is resynching. TV is Hitachi 57SWX20.

"I've got one concern. If you're watching SD programming while using HDMI, can you set the FIOS box to maintain 1080i output? I can do that with both D* and cable while using HDMI, but looking at the PDF on the FIOS PVR, it looks like it reverts to 480i when it senses SD programming. Can you just keep everything output at 1080i via HDMI?"
post #477 of 3340 Old 07-17-2006, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

If someone knows a direct number for the tech support people could you please post it here or PM it to me. I don't care if it is toll free or not.

I do not have phone service with Verizon (use Vonage) so everytime I call the toll free number provided in the documentation it dumps me into the sales department. Of course why would anyone without a Verizon phone number be calling support? Anyway I had two issues this weekend one was that the support folks kept trying to call to see if an issue was resolved (it wasn't) and another issue. Every time I called the toll free number I was dumped into a voicemail message that said sorry our offices are closed they are only open M-F 8-5:30 please call back then. ARGGHH!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #478 of 3340 Old 07-19-2006, 08:33 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

If someone knows a direct number for the tech support people could you please post it here or PM it to me. I don't care if it is toll free or not.

I do not have phone service with Verizon (use Vonage) so everytime I call the toll free number provided in the documentation it dumps me into the sales department. Of course why would anyone without a Verizon phone number be calling support? Anyway I had two issues this weekend one was that the support folks kept trying to call to see if an issue was resolved (it wasn't) and another issue. Every time I called the toll free number I was dumped into a voicemail message that said sorry our offices are closed they are only open M-F 8-5:30 please call back then. ARGGHH!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Laters,
Jeff

If someone can PM me that number too, I would appreciate it. I have had an install experience from hell this week and am trying to track down support.
Thanks.
post #479 of 3340 Old 07-19-2006, 09:21 AM

You guy's should be able to reach support with 1-888-553-1555

You might get stuck in prompt hell for a while or try 0 as soon as you connect.

My issue with the bounce may have been fixed. It was the 4:3 overide on the motorola box. Switching to use the box's stretch mode keeps the box from resynching video sources on a channel change from HD to SD. It's default was 480i.
post #480 of 3340 Old 07-20-2006, 03:08 PM

So do you need the RG6 cable in order to fully get the digital signal. I don't think I have that cable as my house is about 10 years old and I don't think any new cables have been installed. If I need the RG6 cable, during the FIOS installation, will the Verizon Tech install this or will I need to do it myself? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page