post #181 of 3340 Old 03-25-2006, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIDEOKNG View Post

I believe if you go into the menu (shut off the DVR but leave the TV on...then press MENU till you bring up a white screen that has aspect ratio and other settings such as 720p/1080i) you can change it to 1080i.

Its weird how they designed this DVR.

That doesn't work on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3340 Old 03-25-2006, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I believe if you go into the menu (shut off the DVR but leave the TV on...then press MENU till you bring up a white screen that has aspect ratio and other settings such as 720p/1080i) you can change it to 1080i.

Turn the DVR or HD Motorola off. Then hit PWR then Menu. Do it in that sequence and it will take you to the menu. It took the tech several times trying this each time to get it to work.

Quote:

Its weird how they designed this DVR.

Sure is
post #183 of 3340 Old 03-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I
had the Verizon Fios "triple play" installed in my house this past Tuesday. The install took all day (9AM-5PM) but all went well.

Love the internet service, just as quick online as the previous Optimum Online broadband cable modem.

The FIOS TV looks great. I don't really like their Motorola 6416 HD-DVR box compared to the Cablevision SA8300 but it will have to do. The Motorola isn't as tweakable as the SA.

And the remote stinks but I will soon activate a Harmony 880.

Overall this install will save me $$ per month and I will have one bill for all these services.

I am pleased. The Verizon guys were great.

if you dont mind me asking what town are you in? i'm in the town of hempstead i have been waiting for fios to become available, the fiber has been on the pole for sometime now. i did hear that they were going for approvement from the town which should allow them to reach over 500,000 more people, how long after they get approved to offer fios, do they take to offer it to customers
post #184 of 3340 Old 03-25-2006, 09:28 PM

I'm in Massapequa Park.

JohnG (videokng)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)
Onix Rockets RS550MKIIs
Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910
Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3
SVS 25-31CS+
post #185 of 3340 Old 03-26-2006, 02:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Does fios have distance limitations similar to the way DSL does?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #186 of 3340 Old 03-26-2006, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
No, distance is not an issue with FIOS AFAIK.
post #187 of 3340 Old 03-26-2006, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I was told no by the FIOS installers.
post #188 of 3340 Old 03-26-2006, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

The only limit is Verizons' willingness to pull it to your house.
post #189 of 3340 Old 03-26-2006, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post

Turn the DVR or HD Motorola off. Then hit PWR then Menu. Do it in that sequence and it will take you to the menu. It took the tech several times trying this each time to get it to work.

I got it to work - the trick is to press MENU quickly AFTER turning OFF the DVR.

Not much on that screen - at least I was able to change my TV setting.
post #190 of 3340 Old 03-26-2006, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

The only limit is Verizons' willingness to pull it to your house.

I'm sunk.
Live in a nice area that's sparcely populated.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #191 of 3340 Old 03-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm in Massapequa Park.

is that town of oyster bay? how long after the town approved the service did you see verizon offer it
post #192 of 3340 Old 03-27-2006, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Just had Verizon pick up my FIOS TV equipment. It's a shame the sound issue problem with the Motorola. I have to say that Verizion's cust service is about the best I have seen of any other internet or TV provider. Once they get a few of the bugs they have worked out on the TV end, the other providers out there should start worrying. There data end has been flawless (other than a 30 minute interruption) since I have had it for just over 2 months now. The data end is a definite keeper.
post #193 of 3340 Old 03-28-2006, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just had Verizon pick up my FIOS TV equipment. It's a shame the sound issue problem with the Motorola. I have to say that Verizion's cust service is about the best I have seen of any other internet or TV provider. Once they get a few of the bugs they have worked out on the TV end, the other providers out there should start worrying. There data end has been flawless (other than a 30 minute interruption) since I have had it for just over 2 months now. The data end is a definite keeper.

Sorry to see you go. One thing that is nice about being an early adopter is that as the inevitable fixes and enhancements roll in you feel like you are receiving free gifts. I can't wait until the planned weekend addition of NGHD and Fox SW HD, for example.

I expect FiOS to fix the problems many of us are seeing now, and have grown used to being patient with technology as it matures. Over the years I have noticed an increasing impatience in people posting to the avsforum. That does not sync well with the increasing complexity of technology, and the trend (not just Motorola and Microsoft) of shaking things out in the field.

Hopefully you will jump back in after the rest of us have worked through the problems. We have broad shoulders here in avs land :-)....
post #194 of 3340 Old 03-28-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTDT View Post

Sorry to see you go. One thing that is nice about being an early adopter is that as the inevitable fixes and enhancements roll in you feel like you are receiving free gifts. I can't wait until the planned weekend addition of NGHD and Fox SW HD, for example.

I expect FiOS to fix the problems many of us are seeing now, and have grown used to being patient with technology as it matures. Over the years I have noticed an increasing impatience in people posting to the avsforum. That does not sync well with the increasing complexity of technology, and the trend (not just Motorola and Microsoft) of shaking things out in the field.

Hopefully you will jump back in after the rest of us have worked through the problems. We have broad shoulders here in avs land :-)....

Planned weekend addition of Fox SW HD? When is that planned? Getting FIOS data in Plano, Tx tomorrow. Today's paper says TV fiber being pulled this week in Plano to support TV, so I'm thinking of dropping D*.
post #195 of 3340 Old 03-28-2006, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm having an issue with some of my FiOS TV SD channels that I am trying to resolve. For the point of this question, I am not addressing the local SD channels (channels 3-49), which I believe are being delivered in analog. My understanding is:

1) All channels are broadcast simultaneously (digitally) on the FiOS fiber that goes to the side of my house, into my ONT,
2) The ONT places each one of these channels (still a digital signal) into its specific RF slot on the COAX coming out of the ONT,
3) The STB decodes the digital signal for display.

So, if all of the above is correct, can I assume that since the signal between the ONT and the STB is digital and not analog, a damaged COAX cable between them cannot be the cause of a "noisy" picture on some of my SD channels?
post #196 of 3340 Old 03-28-2006, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypicky View Post

I'm having an issue with some of my FiOS TV SD channels that I am trying to resolve. For the point of this question, I am not addressing the local SD channels (channels 3-49), which I believe are being delivered in analog. My understanding is:

1) All channels are broadcast simultaneously (digitally) on the FiOS fiber that goes to the side of my house, into my ONT,
2) The ONT places each one of these channels (still a digital signal) into its specific RF slot on the COAX coming out of the ONT,
3) The STB decodes the digital signal for display.

So, if all of the above is correct, can I assume that since the signal between the ONT and the STB is digital and not analog, a damaged COAX cable between them cannot be the cause of a "noisy" picture on some of my SD channels?

Probably a good assumption - although this should be easy to test with a switch of either the coax or the STB. A bad connection from the STB to the TV could also cause this, in which case the above test won't change anything.

Most of the locals, up to channel 49, are sent in 3 versions: analog NTSC, clear QAM version of the analog and encrypted QAM HD (channels in the 8xx range)
post #197 of 3340 Old 03-28-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk1987 View Post

is that town of oyster bay? how long after the town approved the service did you see verizon offer it

Yes, Massapequa Park is in the town of Oyster Bay jurisdiction located on the south shore of the Island.

I believe Verizon got the ok around September 05 and began offering it to the residents as of Jan 06.

They've had a big push here in the month of March, with door to door salesmen.

JohnG (videokng)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)
Onix Rockets RS550MKIIs
Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910
SVS 25-31CS+
post #198 of 3340 Old 03-28-2006, 03:04 PM

I've had Verizon FIOS TV for exactly a week now and its fine.

I just have to get used to the channels being in different places compared to the Cablevision lineup.

JohnG (videokng)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)
Onix Rockets RS550MKIIs
Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910
SVS 25-31CS+
post #199 of 3340 Old 03-28-2006, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

Probably a good assumption - although this should be easy to test with a switch of either the coax or the STB. A bad connection from the STB to the TV could also cause this, in which case the above test won't change anything.

Most of the locals, up to channel 49, are sent in 3 versions: analog NTSC, clear QAM version of the analog and encrypted QAM HD (channels in the 8xx range)

I see the problem on both of my HDTV's. I've tried HDMI and Component Video on both TV's as well.

Don't get me wrong, on the vast majority of channels, FiOS TV's PQ is far superior to that of D*. It's just on a few channels that I notice it (like Nickleodeon), especially when a cartoon (like Spongebob) is playing. If I turn to the same channel on D*, I still notice the same "noise", just not quite as bad as that on FiOS.

And yes, as my handle indicates, I am picky!
post #200 of 3340 Old 03-28-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht-movie-guy View Post

The TV was run with my existing Cox lines. However there is a special box they need to have VOD work called an NIM. This box seems to only work with the provided D-Link router (if they ask whether or not you want their router, best say yes). I tried to use it on my LinkSys and it didn't work (called them to confirm that it doesn't work with most routers/switches since it required some firmware in the D-Link). Don't worry if you have another router already configured for wireless, as all I had to do was run a cable from that routers 'WAN' jack into the D-Link network and all worked fine.

Just found this forum today and so I signed up to hopefully add to the knowledge base here.

As for the use of Verizon specific "D-Link" routers only, that's not necessary. I use Verizon's FIOS broadband internet service with a custom firewall, two wireless routers and a Vonage linksys router and had no problem connecting their "NIM" into my configuration. The only thing that you have to know is that the Verizon "NIM" must go on a subnet that is 192.168.0.X to work correctly. I found that out the hard way when I was upgrading my friend's home network and his VOD services quit working. I had upgraded his system from the "D-Link" router to a better quality wireless router and at the time not knowing what the "little black box" from Verizon was for, I changed the primary router IP address to 192.168.10.1 and after doing some other computer work for my friend, he wanted to show me is new Verizon FIOS TV setup. It was then that we found out that his VOD services no longer worked. I looked at the dumb "Little Black Box" and figured that it wasn't smart enough to ask the DHCP for an address. So I changed the network subnet back to 192.168.0.1 and bingo the VOD services came back.

So when I finally added FIOS TV to my house I knew ahead of time that I needed to have a subnet with 192.168.0.1. So I setup the DMZ out of my firewall with that address and when the Verizon tech came to do the installation I just told him that I'd hook up the "NIM" for him. He complained when he couldn't see the "Verizon D-Link" router anywhere but I told him we'd worry about that if something didn't work after he installed the rest of the equipment. Everything did work and so he didn't even think about it later. The other advantage of having the "NIM" on the DMZ is that I didn't have to change any of my existing traffic shaping in the firewall.

A VOD request does cause about 4mbps of inbound traffic per set top box. So I don't know if there's any issues with say having your Vonage router as your primary. As an example if you had two sets both running a VOD, that would be between 8 and 9mbps and that might flood the elementary traffic shaping in the Vonage router. You'd never see a few dropped data packets while "browsing" the net. VOIP is probably the only situation where you'd notice a problem if there would be one. Now that I think about it both my friends that I configured their Vonage routers, have FIOS TV and they've using the Vonage router as their primary router and they've not said anything about having any phone audio quality problems. I've had FIOS TV up and running for a couple of weeks now and I don't have any problems at all with my Vonage VOIP. It was funny the first time I saw my inbound traffic hit 13mbps when I only have 5/2mbps service. Obviously the VOD traffic gets a free pass at whatever speed it needs.

Hopefully this info helps someone.
post #201 of 3340 Old 03-28-2006, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum !

Another place you may consider posting or at least reading is: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber
if you have not been there yet.

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #202 of 3340 Old 03-29-2006, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypicky View Post

The ONT isn't that smart. The signals are modulated at the CO. The ONT is simply doing an opto to electric conversion.
post #203 of 3340 Old 03-29-2006, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post

Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum !

Another place you may consider posting or at least reading is:
if you have not been there yet.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
post #204 of 3340 Old 03-29-2006, 09:39 AM

Btw...I've also added my Netgear wireless router back into my system. So I have 2 wireless routers in play...the Verizon D-Link (which usually shows its strenghth as being "very good" to the NetGear which usually shows a strenght of "excellent".

Another cool thing about Verizon FIOS TV:

Last night I was watching American Idol followed by Sons & Daughters on ABC.
I didn't realize that I was watching regular SD channels 5 and 7 (Fox and ABC in NY).

I only realized that I wasn't on the Hi-Def channels when I tuned to The Amazing Race 9 which was in widescreen. Since that show is not Hi-Def, I was wondering why it was letterboxed all of a sudden. Thats when I realized I was on regular channel 2 (CBS) in a stretch mode instead of Hi-Def channel 802.

Thats how good Verizon FIOS TV is....completely fooled me.

JohnG (videokng)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)
Onix Rockets RS550MKIIs
Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910
SVS 25-31CS+
post #205 of 3340 Old 03-29-2006, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Help!

I just got a voicemail message from an A/V contractor who is just wrapping up a large home theater installation (aren't they all) in a condo where I am responsible for interfacing the residential units with whatever is available for TV programming sources in the communications closets.

This customer was about to have installed two DirecTV HD DVRs and one regular HDTV tuner. I was going to bring in two stacked DirecTV trunklines, one with Sat A and the other Sat B/C, along with another coax carrying sixteen channels of broadcast HDTV from a master antenna system I built that receives signals from six cities, and destack the stacked signals into a 5x8 multiswitch to support his receivers.

Now he leaves me a messages that he says the "heard" that Verizon is making DirecTV available via fiber, and he wants to know of that is an alternative for this installation. I went to Verizon's site.

I clicked the VerizonFIOS link from bilodom's post #28, but didn't see any reference to DirecTV in it. Can anyone tell me whether VerizonFIOS carries DirecTV programming or, if not, if there is some Verizon fiber service that does?

I also wasn't able to tell from the first couple dozen posts in this thread how Verizon's signal would interface with DVRs. Is it contained within the industry standard 54-860Mz range, such that any old DVR could find and tune it? If so, then what encryption control does it have? If it is distributed over a band that exceeds 860Mz, then are there subscriber frequency converters, or is the customer limited to using Verizon-furnished HD DVRs and the like?
post #206 of 3340 Old 03-29-2006, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post

Can anyone tell me whether VerizonFIOS carries DirecTV programming or, if not, if there is some Verizon fiber service that does?

No they don't and no there isn't.

Quote:

I also wasn't able to tell from the first couple dozen posts in this thread how Verizon's signal would interface with DVRs. Is it contained within the industry standard 54-860Mz range, such that any old DVR could find and tune it? If so, then what encryption control does it have? If it is distributed over a band that exceeds 860Mz, then are there subscriber frequency converters, or is the customer limited to using Verizon-furnished HD DVRs and the like?

Verizon has their own DVR and AFAIK that's all that can currently be used.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #207 of 3340 Old 03-29-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSA-Retired View Post

J
A VOD request does cause about 4mbps of inbound traffic per set top box. So I don't know if there's any issues with say having your Vonage router as your primary. As an example if you had two sets both running a VOD, that would be between 8 and 9mbps and that might flood the elementary traffic shaping in the Vonage router. You'd never see a few dropped data packets while "browsing" the net. VOIP is probably the only situation where you'd notice a problem if there would be one. Now that I think about it both my friends that I configured their Vonage routers, have FIOS TV and they've using the Vonage router as their primary router and they've not said anything about having any phone audio quality problems. I've had FIOS TV up and running for a couple of weeks now and I don't have any problems at all with my Vonage VOIP. It was funny the first time I saw my inbound traffic hit 13mbps when I only have 5/2mbps service. Obviously the VOD traffic gets a free pass at whatever speed it needs.

Hopefully this info helps someone.

All along I assumed that the video signal itself comes along the coax not the ethernet port - the LAN is only used for signaling. If that's the case, then the traffic would take a huge jump if FiOS was to ever deliver HD VOD. Let's say you have 2 HD VODs channels going - that's over 30mbps going through the router.
post #208 of 3340 Old 03-30-2006, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had the 8 way installed from FIOS. This is what the splitter say's, hope it helps:

PDI Mega Splitter PDI-8WMVS-5 5-1000MHZ 8 way

Each of the 8 outputs is 12.5DB

BTW this splitter also works perfectly for my Brighhouse, left the splitter in place when I switched everything back.

Thank You!
post #209 of 3340 Old 04-03-2006, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the great info, this site is great!

VIDEOKING - That worked great, the PQ on my 65 inch seriously improved. The other setting that is real interesting is the setting below that which sets the resolution of a 480i signal. That helped my DLP by allowing me to use more "widescreen" options, since the options on that TV are limmited in a 720p signal. I still would prefer a "pass-through" option, but these options certainly improved my experiences.

RSA-Retired - Thank you very much for signing on and adding this information! I got frustrated rather quickly with this, and I had hoped the tech knew what he was talking about, I guess not I haven't tried this yet, but will a bit later. This will get rid of 1 less piece of equipment that I really don't need

Ok, so I guess the only major issue with the box remains the HDMI/DD issue. I found this link, thought this was interesteing and pointed out that this box may not be the only one with this problem (I have to wonder if this is just how Motorola boxes are in general?)

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/forum...0930#post20930

Item number 3. At least we're not alone.
post #210 of 3340 Old 04-05-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Help!

I just got a voicemail message from an A/V contractor who is just wrapping up a large home theater installation (aren't they all) in a condo where I am responsible for interfacing the residential units with whatever is available for TV programming sources in the communications closets.

This customer was about to have installed two DirecTV HD DVRs and one regular HDTV tuner. I was going to bring in two stacked DirecTV trunklines, one with Sat A and the other Sat B/C, along with another coax carrying sixteen channels of broadcast HDTV from a master antenna system I built that receives signals from six cities, and destack the stacked signals into a 5x8 multiswitch to support his receivers.

Now he leaves me a messages that he says the "heard" that Verizon is making DirecTV available via fiber, and he wants to know of that is an alternative for this installation. I went to Verizon's site.

I clicked the VerizonFIOS link from bilodom's post #28, but didn't see any reference to DirecTV in it. Can anyone tell me whether VerizonFIOS carries DirecTV programming or, if not, if there is some Verizon fiber service that does?

Verizon does not offer Directv programming over fios.They have a handshake deal with directv to bundle their programming with data(DSL) and voice in areas where fios is not in yet.This was done in order to compete with the local cable companys triple play packages and began before FIOS.But you can only order it as part of a bundle.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page