Wrapping wire around antenna improves reception? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-01-2006, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't get about 4 HD channels from my outdoor antenna. Is it possible that if I tightly wrap copper wire around my antenna, it would improve reception and possibly pick channels that I cannot before? What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-01-2006, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe there are other ways to improve the reception of those 4 HD stations. As to wrapping wire around antenna, never heard of such a thing. Give it a try if you'd like. Give us more detail on where the transmitters are in relation to your home. And some other details.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-01-2006, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

If Dagwood hanging from the mast can make an improvement, wire couldn't hurt. On the other hand, I doubt it will improve it enough to risk any roof work solely for the purpose.

TerryB
post #4 of 7 Old 01-01-2006, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

I live in the LA area and the 4 channels that I cannot get are less than 10 miles from me according to antennaweb. In fact, every channel is less than 10 miles and I pick up most of them just fine. I cannot pick up FOX and CBS. NBC and ABC comes in weak. It's been raining here the past two days and I notice that reception is a little better on NBC and ABC. I think it has something to do with my antenna getting wet from the rain and it seems to help it pick up signals a little better.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-01-2006, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

wures: How is the line of sight from home to transmitters? Are all transmitters ( from stations) in same area and about the same direction (in degrees) from your home? If line of sight is good, then a simple directional digital antenna should do the trick. You can pick up the minor stations but not the major CBS, NBC, and ABC, correct? And you are sure your digital antenna is aimed at the transmitters?.Do you have a dedicated line from antenna head to tv? Are you getting HD?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-01-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

My outdoor antenna is blocked by two floor building that is next to the house I'm in now. Even with line of sight blocked, I still can get most of the major networks except the 2 I listed and the other 2 which are weak. I'm also able to pick up subchannels that I've never seen before. Weather channel on channel 4 is an example. I can pick up KCET HD and KOCE beautifully so I don't know why I can't get FOX or CBS.

Yes, it is a dedicated line. The antenna is directly connected to my OTA receiver. Yes, I'm getting HD.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-01-2006, 10:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Try aiming in a different direction if there are tall buildings around you. You are close enough that you might get a decent signal reflecting off another building that has a direct line of sight to both you and the transmitters.

Pat

While I may link to and mention products as examples, I don't recommend specific products.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page