Compromised: HD Content Protection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-11-2006, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just tried hooking up my cable box to my TV via HDMI cables through my TX-SR803 Onkyo receiver. The picture will come up for a few seconds and then I get the following message on the TV: " the hd content protection of your display has been compromised. Please use component cables". I have no problems when using component cables, but I would like to use HDMI.

I have read that I might be able to get updated firmware for my cable box to solve the problem. Has anyone done this? How do I get this thing to work via HDMI?

Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-12-2006, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Its the Onkyo Receiver that is most likely the problem.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-12-2006, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought these problems were caused by certain STB's not being enabled to work with HDMI repeaters which is what the Onkyo is acting as.

As a work around you need to attach the HDMI directly to the TV for now and not use the receiver for switching. Most of the cases I've seen here haven't been solved yet, if it is the cable box causing the problem you are at your cable company's mercy to do anything about it.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-12-2006, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

In the receiver's user manual it states the following: The TX-SR803 supports HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), a copy-protection system for digital video signals. Other devices connected to the TX-SR803 via HDMI must also support HDCP. Commercially available HDMI cables (supplied with some components) should be used to connect the TX-SR803's HDMI OUT to the HDMI input on your TV or projector.

The cables I use were from best buy, so I'd imagine that isn't the problem. Has anyone been able to fix this problem with a call to the cable company?

Thanks!
post #5 of 10 Old 02-12-2006, 10:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSUNBRN
In the receiver's user manual it states the following: The TX-SR803 supports HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), a copy-protection system for digital video signals. Other devices connected to the TX-SR803 via HDMI must also support HDCP. Commercially available HDMI cables (supplied with some components) should be used to connect the TX-SR803's HDMI OUT to the HDMI input on your TV or projector.

The cables I use were from best buy, so I'd imagine that isn't the problem. Has anyone been able to fix this problem with a call to the cable company?

Thanks!

The only way to problem solve is to take your source from the set top box and go directly to the tv. If it is fine then there is a problem with the receiver.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-12-2006, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You probably overpaid a lot for the cables - check MonoPrice cables.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-12-2006, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo
The only way to problem solve is to take your source from the set top box and go directly to the tv. If it is fine then there is a problem with the receiver.
So the receiver should work? From what is stated in the user manual, that's what I would assume. Does anyone else have cable hooked up to this receiver via HDMI?
post #8 of 10 Old 02-12-2006, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

There are alot of issues with recievers not working with HDMI. Do a search on google for "HDMI Reciever connection problem" or something to that affect

PSN: JAY-NUCLEAR
post #9 of 10 Old 02-12-2006, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Allow me to suggest a workaround that may alleviate the problem:

1) Start with the receiver off, the last input selected being the cable box. The HDTV should be off, the cable box in standby (if possible).

2) Power up the receiver and make sure the cable box input is selected, then turn on the HDTV, then the cable box.

3) This should work up until you switch inputs. The HDCP scheme requires that the signal source (cable box) be connected to the signal sink (HD display) to establish the handshake and enable the connection.

If you ask me, the HDCP obsoletes the idea of switching video sources in the receivers. I personally will be selecting displays with enough inputs that all my HDCP devices will be continuously attached to the display. That way when I power up an HDCP source the handshake is always present and the source always enabled.

My Westinghouse LVM-37w1 monitor has 5 HD-capable video inputs, which is at the moment three more than I need.

Gary

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #10 of 10 Old 02-12-2006, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy
3) This should work up until you switch inputs. The HDCP scheme requires that the signal source (cable box) be connected to the signal sink (HD display) to establish the handshake and enable the connection.

If you ask me, the HDCP obsoletes the idea of switching video sources in the receivers. I personally will be selecting displays with enough inputs that all my HDCP devices will be continuously attached to the display. That way when I power up an HDCP source the handshake is always present and the source always enabled.
I think you are generalizing the problems with a specific implementation to the whole class of HDCP devices.

I have a Panasonic S77 HDMI/HDCP DVD player, Samsung HD841 DVI/HDCP DVD player, and Motorola DCT-5100 HiDef STB. They are all connected to a 5x1 HDMI switch to my single HDMI port on my Sharp LC-45GX6U. I can turn each of them on without being connected to the display (or even being the active selection on the switch) and they work fine when I switch to them. The negotiate HDCP fine and the picture shows up.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page