Voom receiver questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 06-05-2006, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A friend who knows I tend to accumulate this kind of stuff brought me 3 Voom receivers from a rummage sale. The 8VSB modules are missing and there's no remotes, but they have cards and they appear to try to find signals for a few channels in memory. As I understand it these can be used for OTA reception if they are activated. The remotes and the 8VSB modules are on ebay but before I buy anything, How can I tell if they are activated?
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-05-2006, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd have to hook one of mine back up to see if you can get into the menus without the remote. Don't know if you can off hand.

But then, maybe it would give you some kind of message right away when it powers up if it wasn't activated? I wouldn't be able to tell you that from my experience since my old receivers were never de-activated.
post #3 of 27 Old 06-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post

A friend who knows I tend to accumulate this kind of stuff brought me 3 Voom receivers from a rummage sale. The 8VSB modules are missing and there's no remotes, but they have cards and they appear to try to find signals for a few channels in memory. As I understand it these can be used for OTA reception if they are activated. The remotes and the 8VSB modules are on ebay but before I buy anything, How can I tell if they are activated?
John

by 8vsb module due you mean were the antenna connects to the receiver (the small piece that locks on to the receiver?) because that piece just splits the sat signal and the ota signal i had taken that piece off and just connected the ota antenna directly
post #4 of 27 Old 06-06-2006, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Here's more
There is a 1" x 2 1/4" x 4 1/2" deep hole in the back with a card edge connector in the bottom. There is a removable plastic cover on the hole.

There are 8VSB modules on eBay which, the seller says, are required for OTA. I thinks that's whats missing from the hole.

There is a antenna in and out f-jack but I think it's just a pass through for the tv antenna if you are using a channal 3/4 connection from the box to the tv.

Using the front panal buttons I can step through channels 100 to 999 which all show a "no signal from sat." message and channals 2-1,4-1,6-1,7-1,7-2,9-1,11-1,16-1,25-1,38-1 which all show a "No signal on local channal" message.

I can't access the menu to scan for other local chanals without a remote.

When I select channel up or down there's a momentary menu at the bottom of the screen showing ,I think, remote button selections. One front panal button bring up a menu of channal catagories, all, hd, fav, voom, movie, news, etc.

My best guess is I would not be able to do all this if the box was not activated.
What do you guys think?

(I'm hopeing to set up a couple friends with OTA HD with these things)
post #5 of 27 Old 06-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here's more
There is a 1" x 2 1/4" x 4 1/2" deep hole in the back with a card edge connector in the bottom. There is a removable plastic cover on the hole.

There are 8VSB modules on eBay which, the seller says, are required for OTA. I thinks that's whats missing from the hole.

There is a antenna in and out f-jack but I think it's just a pass through for the tv antenna if you are using a channal 3/4 connection from the box to the tv.

Using the front panal buttons I can step through channels 100 to 999 which all show a "no signal from sat." message and channals 2-1,4-1,6-1,7-1,7-2,9-1,11-1,16-1,25-1,38-1 which all show a "No signal on local channal" message.

I can't access the menu to scan for other local chanals without a remote.

When I select channel up or down there's a momentary menu at the bottom of the screen showing ,I think, remote button selections. One front panal button bring up a menu of channal catagories, all, hd, fav, voom, movie, news, etc.

My best guess is I would not be able to do all this if the box was not activated.
What do you guys think?

(I'm hopeing to set up a couple friends with OTA HD with these things)

from what i can tell from my receivers you would need both the module and the remote to operate the receiver,
post #6 of 27 Old 06-07-2006, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

What do you guys think?

It sounds like the boxes are active, and the 8VSB module would do the trick.

As for a remote, KuSat.com sells the Voom for $20 Canadian.
http://www.kusat.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=420

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #7 of 27 Old 06-27-2006, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

The Voom receivers work great. I got 3 remotes and 8VSB modules from eBay seller hjrsh.
Channal scan finds channals the my other receivers miss. The Voom receivers seem to have better ability to tune weak OTA signals than my other receivers, Dish 6000, SIR-T150. Is there a way to lock out the Voom satillite channals so they can't be selected?
John
post #8 of 27 Old 06-27-2006, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is there a way to lock out the Voom satillite channals so they can't be selected?
John

Sorry, nope.

post #9 of 27 Old 09-06-2006, 02:58 PM
jcm
Advanced Member

Would a Voom box that had never been activated work for OTA reception?

jcmitch
post #10 of 27 Old 09-06-2006, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm View Post

Would a Voom box that had never been activated work for OTA reception?

jcmitch

Everything I've read, here and elsewhere says No.
post #11 of 27 Old 03-28-2007, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have a similar situation. I had several voom boxes on my items being watched on eBay. My sister had a bidding war on one and I ended up buying a voom with no OTA module and no remote. The card in the front is still in place, although the latch is broken in the front to conceal it. I can turn it on and a menu shows with categories like all channels, movies, music, etc. I am assuming my card is still activated as it also tries to scan for satellite signals when I choose one of the categories.

1. Is there anyway to program a universal remote to work with this box? Does it use common codes?

2. I know I can find remote on eBay, but there are no OTA modules (the big black thing in the back) at this point on eBay for sale. Where can I find this missing module?

Thanks in advance.
post #12 of 27 Old 03-28-2007, 12:52 PM

I would email the eBay seller hjrsh and ask him if he has any more.

Eastern NC.
Come on Plasma and LCD guys!...you know that the DLP format is better!...& You can be format neutral if you want but the war is over...BluRay won!
post #13 of 27 Old 03-29-2007, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 View Post

I have a similar situation. I had several voom boxes on my items being watched on eBay. My sister had a bidding war on one and I ended up buying a voom with no OTA module and no remote. The card in the front is still in place, although the latch is broken in the front to conceal it. I can turn it on and a menu shows with categories like all channels, movies, music, etc. I am assuming my card is still activated as it also tries to scan for satellite signals when I choose one of the categories.

1. Is there anyway to program a universal remote to work with this box? Does it use common codes?

2. I know I can find remote on eBay, but there are no OTA modules (the big black thing in the back) at this point on eBay for sale. Where can I find this missing module?

Thanks in advance.

My Harmony remote works great with the Voom box, well. Recommended.
post #14 of 27 Old 03-30-2007, 10:00 AM

See ebay item # 280099525821

Eastern NC.
Come on Plasma and LCD guys!...you know that the DLP format is better!...& You can be format neutral if you want but the war is over...BluRay won!
post #15 of 27 Old 04-03-2007, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks for the link to the 8VSB modulremote e. Now the only thing I need is the remote. This was intended to be economical, but I having to purchase all three items separately right now.

Just one more question. This is the only voom remote on ebay. Is this the right one?
Ebay item #: 290101231307
post #16 of 27 Old 04-03-2007, 12:06 PM

Looks like the one I use...should be correct...(I hope they didn't make more than one?) If you need the paperwork on programming the remote let me know.

Eastern NC.
post #17 of 27 Old 02-12-2008, 10:46 PM

I have a question and I hope this is the correct thread to do so in. I recently have been having issues with my voom receiver with a specific channel. When I turn to channel 11-1, which is CBS in Dallas, my receiver restarts itself (goes to the voom screen and the orange stripes light up). It only happens with one channel and the channel is detected and picked up fine by my computer tuner. Any ideas? In addition, one time the screen turned completely green. Is my voom tuner breaking?
post #18 of 27 Old 02-13-2008, 10:01 AM

Does the channel in have "DA" at the end of it? If so I would do a search on VOOM on this site...lots of info...

Eastern NC.
post #19 of 27 Old 02-16-2008, 10:14 PM

Jesse31,
No, it ends in -DT. The problem is only recent but now it always happens. Just right now I saw the signal for a second, screen when completely grey, and system restarted.
post #20 of 27 Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybob479 View Post

I have a question and I hope this is the correct thread to do so in. I recently have been having issues with my voom receiver with a specific channel. When I turn to channel 11-1, which is CBS in Dallas, my receiver restarts itself (goes to the voom screen and the orange stripes light up). It only happens with one channel and the channel is detected and picked up fine by my computer tuner. Any ideas? In addition, one time the screen turned completely green. Is my voom tuner breaking?

CBS affiliates installed a data casting box from TVGuide that causes VOOM boxed to reboot. They have no plans to remove the boxes.

-Ben
post #21 of 27 Old 01-22-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDB View Post

CBS affiliates installed a data casting box from TVGuide that causes VOOM boxed to reboot. They have no plans to remove the boxes.
-Ben

... And then a miracle happened. I noticed that my Voom ATSC tuner is no longer rebooting on the CBS affiliate (5-1) in the SF Bay Area. Is this only a temporary reprieve?
PS - Thanks for the original explanation as not knowing why the reboot was happening drove me nuts!
post #22 of 27 Old 01-22-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ahhhh! VOOM! I should hook up one of my receivers just to reminiscence about the good ol' days! Don't you have to do a channel scan to get the locals for the VOOM receiver?

Jeff
post #23 of 27 Old 02-02-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnloag View Post

I noticed that my Voom ATSC tuner is no longer rebooting on the CBS affiliate (5-1) in the SF Bay Area. Is this only a temporary reprieve?

Just to followup... looks like CBS resumed the TVGuide datacasting service last week as the Voom box is once again rebooting. Well, it was good while it lasted.
post #24 of 27 Old 04-26-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDB View Post

My VOOM box was gathering dust until I had a problem with CBS on my TiVo this week. I decided to hook up the old VOOM box to troubleshoot and to use as a backup OTA DTV tuner.

Anyway, I also just ran into this rebooting problem with CBS WBBMDT 2-1 in Chicago. It reboots everytime I try to tune CBS or do a full channel scan in the setup menu.

I last used the VOOM tuner a few years ago and I'm sure it didn't have a problem with CBS before. It sounds like CBS doesn't much care that it's killing tuners. I will still keep the VOOM box plugged in as a backup after the analog shutdown, but I guess I won't be using it to watch CBS anymore.
post #25 of 27 Old 08-02-2009, 07:14 PM

Can the Voom OTA tuner be adjusted to display weak signals? My Channel Master CM 7000 works great, Voom doesn't provide same selection.
post #26 of 27 Old 08-03-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by real_to_reel View Post

Can the Voom OTA tuner be adjusted to display weak signals? My Channel Master CM 7000 works great, Voom doesn't provide same selection.

Yes, you have to go into Settings. From the Voom main screen, use the Green button, look at the bottom of the screen for specifics, and then go into Installer menu.

post #27 of 27 Old 08-03-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymann View Post

My VOOM box was gathering dust until I had a problem with CBS on my TiVo this week. I decided to hook up the old VOOM box to troubleshoot and to use as a backup OTA DTV tuner.

Anyway, I also just ran into this rebooting problem with CBS WBBMDT 2-1 in Chicago. It reboots everytime I try to tune CBS or do a full channel scan in the setup menu.

I last used the VOOM tuner a few years ago and I'm sure it didn't have a problem with CBS before. It sounds like CBS doesn't much care that it's killing tuners. I will still keep the VOOM box plugged in as a backup after the analog shutdown, but I guess I won't be using it to watch CBS anymore.

It's not CBS, it's the TVGOS data they carry.

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page