DirecTV MPEG4 Installation & Hardware - Master Topic II (Continued) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2268 Old 07-08-2006, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to posting, but long time lurker...just got through talking to D* installer of 5lnb dish. He told me that this far south (florida keys) I might get only one local channel (the Miami NBC affiliate). He said he has put up several dishes in the Keys and that it is "common" for some of the locals to not be received. He also told me I had to pay $200 for installation of a pole for the larger dish (Customer Retention is making sure that I do not have to pay!) so I let him leave without doing anything. The installer also told me has the new dish at his house in Miami and he doesn't receive the Fox (7) on his dish, even though he put it in himself and adjusted it. He even suggested that if I really want HD locals, I should switch to Comcast! I called Retention, they were helpful and said that D* wouldn't offer service here if they didn't expect everyone to be able to get all that they offer in that area. Can anyone shed some light on this? Could it be that the latitude or the spot beam could be a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2268 Old 07-10-2006, 05:41 AM

Does anyone know on which TPs I should be seeing signal from the 99 and 103 birds, if I'm aiming the AT9 in the Baltimore/DC area? (Lyngsat doesn't seem to be any help.)

Also, for those in that area, what kind of numbers are you reading? I know that the AT9/ H20 combo yields lower numerical values on the signal meter than I'm used to on sats 101-119, but I don't know what's normal for the other birds.

Thanks.
post #93 of 2268 Old 07-10-2006, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Also had a dish problem with the signal weakening over a six month period of time. Do have the service contract with them so they came free of charge. Turns out the dish was instlled improperly with only one large arm when it should have that plus two smaller side arms. Had drifted considerably so they remounted it properly. Took about an hour and all is well now.
On the other hand if they don' get mor hi def stations before FIOS becomes availabel, they'l lose this long time customer.

Bill
post #94 of 2268 Old 07-10-2006, 08:20 AM

First, I have a few questions on the current sat dish and hd receiver for the mpeg4 reception.
1) Would the 5 LNB Dish replace my current 3 LNB Dish used with the d* HDTivo? I think so, since I would hate to have two dishes up on my roof...but, I am not thrilled with some of the feedback on the new new dish.
2) Would my current d* HDTivo's work with the 5 LNB Dish (I know it will not work with new mpeg4 local channels, I receive them with OTA anyway, but would like to still be able to record other d* hd and standard channels with it)?
3) a. I currently run a 5x8 multiplexor using diplexors out to the tv's for sat and ota (similar to 5x8_install attachment) and I understand that the diplexors (cannot diplex sat & ota) will not work for the mpeg4 hd receiver, but will it still work as it does today for the hdtivo using the 5 LNB Dish (I would think so, but want to confirm)?
b. Also, if I can use the the hdtivos (I would run them to three tv's using diplexors which would leave five openings) - I would run an extra cable to my main tv to connect a mpeg4 hd receiver (for any added d* hd channels - I know I wouldn't be able to record with tivo, but will be able to receive them until the new hddvr comes out). I would also run two cables to a 4th set (no current receivers) and hook up a new mpeg4 receiver (which I'm hoping I can get both sat and ota with it since I would be running two cables fromt the multiplexor and not using a diplexor - correct?) - does this setup sound correct and/or is there a better way (not too expensive)?

Next, is there any new announcements or information (or site to check - directv site doesn't shed any light) on new hd channels coming out on DirecTV? Is the only way to get new d* hd channels going to be by using the new 5 LNB Dish and mpeg4 receiver?

Thanks for any input!
LL
post #95 of 2268 Old 07-10-2006, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
BrettRyan, quick answers to most of your questions:

1) Yes.

2) Yes, but some D* CSR's will tell you otherwise.

3) Yes, as long as you are only trying to receive MPEG-2 satellite channels.

b) I'll leave that to the resident techies, as I don't need multiplexers and haven't tried to learn much about them.

Quote:

Next, is there any new announcements or information (or site to check - directv site doesn't shed any light) on new hd channels coming out on DirecTV?

D* is pretty tight lipped about what they will do until they are ready to make an announcement. You'll get the latest rumors pretty quickly by watching various related threadsin this forum. Some are only conjecture, but real news shows up here promptly, too.

Quote:

Is the only way to get new d* hd channels going to be by using the new 5 LNB Dish and mpeg4 receiver?

Probably. They may manage to add one or two more national HD channels via MPEG-2 by juggling bandwidth, but it doesn't seem likely. Many people thought they were at their limit before they added TNT HD.
post #96 of 2268 Old 07-10-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gaw2 View Post

Also had a dish problem with the signal weakening over a six month period of time. Do have the service contract with them so they came free of charge. Turns out the dish was instlled improperly with only one large arm when it should have that plus two smaller side arms. Had drifted considerably so they remounted it properly. Took about an hour and all is well now.
On the other hand if they don' get mor hi def stations before FIOS becomes availabel, they'l lose this long time customer.

Bill

I think I have the same problem. My signal strength is in the 30-40 range and I loose the signal whenever a cloud is in the sky. I've had the new dish about 4 months and it is also mounted on a single arm on my roof. Does anyone have a link to these 2 smaller arms? D* will be out on Saturday to fix my problem and if I should have these extra arms I want to show the installer the proper way to install this dish.
post #97 of 2268 Old 07-11-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster View Post

I think I have the same problem. My signal strength is in the 30-40 range and I loose the signal whenever a cloud is in the sky. I've had the new dish about 4 months and it is also mounted on a single arm on my roof. Does anyone have a link to these 2 smaller arms? D* will be out on Saturday to fix my problem and if I should have these extra arms I want to show the installer the proper way to install this dish.

they are called monopoles.

solid signal

this installation manual from Solid Signal has pics of various installs with monopoles
post #98 of 2268 Old 07-11-2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbrew View Post

they are called monopoles.

solid signal

this installation manual from Solid Signal has pics of various installs with monopoles

CCBREW,

Thanks for the info.
post #99 of 2268 Old 07-11-2006, 08:56 PM

Location: Little Elm, TX ---- Optoma HD70, 106" DIY screen, DTV HR10250, PIO VSX54TX, Monster Power HTS5000, Polk Speakers and Velodyne Sub, Xbox 360 w/HD Addon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettRyan View Post

First, I have a few questions on the current sat dish and hd receiver for the mpeg4 reception.
1) Would the 5 LNB Dish replace my current 3 LNB Dish used with the d* HDTivo? I think so, since I would hate to have two dishes up on my roof...but, I am not thrilled with some of the feedback on the new new dish.
2) Would my current d* HDTivo's work with the 5 LNB Dish (I know it will not work with new mpeg4 local channels, I receive them with OTA anyway, but would like to still be able to record other d* hd and standard channels with it)?
3) a. I currently run a 5x8 multiplexor using diplexors out to the tv's for sat and ota (similar to 5x8_install attachment) and I understand that the diplexors (cannot diplex sat & ota) will not work for the mpeg4 hd receiver, but will it still work as it does today for the hdtivo using the 5 LNB Dish (I would think so, but want to confirm)?
b. Also, if I can use the the hdtivos (I would run them to three tv's using diplexors which would leave five openings) - I would run an extra cable to my main tv to connect a mpeg4 hd receiver (for any added d* hd channels - I know I wouldn't be able to record with tivo, but will be able to receive them until the new hddvr comes out). I would also run two cables to a 4th set (no current receivers) and hook up a new mpeg4 receiver (which I'm hoping I can get both sat and ota with it since I would be running two cables fromt the multiplexor and not using a diplexor - correct?) - does this setup sound correct and/or is there a better way (not too expensive)?

Next, is there any new announcements or information (or site to check - directv site doesn't shed any light) on new hd channels coming out on DirecTV? Is the only way to get new d* hd channels going to be by using the new 5 LNB Dish and mpeg4 receiver?

Thanks for any input!

I would caution using the diplexers with the 5lnb dish period. I have the 5lnb and two HD TIVO's and when I diplexed in the past I had problems with my DTV HD channels even though they were MPEG2. If I remember right other people have posted similar problems, so I would suggest a seperate line for OTA, plus you will get a better signal that way for the OTA channels.

Kemical

war--> peace--> freedom--> war--> peace--> freedom
post #100 of 2268 Old 07-12-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemical_head View Post

I would caution using the diplexers with the 5lnb dish period. I have the 5lnb and two HD TIVO's and when I diplexed in the past I had problems with my DTV HD channels even though they were MPEG2. If I remember right other people have posted similar problems, so I would suggest a seperate line for OTA, plus you will get a better signal that way for the OTA channels.

Kemical

So if diplexers are an issue with the 5lnb, I would need run an additional cable from the 5x8 multiplexor to each tv for OTA transmission. For three HR10-250's that would mean running three cables from the 5x8 mulitplexor to each HR10-250 which isn't possible - I could run three cables to two of the HR10-250 and live with two going to the third (just not use OTA)...would that be correct? Sounds like the 5x8 multiplexor is too small for this configuration - do I have other options with the 5lnb dish?
post #101 of 2268 Old 07-12-2006, 02:39 PM

Hi, all:

After months and months of agonizing, I decided to switch to D* from cable ONLY because of Sunday Ticket. Now, I am getting the run-around on HD capability and equipment compatibility. Here is the e-mail that I sent to D* today:

Hello -

I live in Southern California, about 50 miles south of Los Angeles.

When I signed up for DirecTV, I was told that I would be able to receive local channels in HD. I also read on the DirecTv website that I need a 5 LNB dish to fully enjoy the Sunday Ticket SuperFan package.

I was scheduled for installation this morning at 10:00 a.m. I was to have a HR10-250 (HD TiVo), a standard-def DVR and a standard box installed.

The technician brought the 3 LNB dish and I told him that I wanted the 5 LNB dish. He then told me to contact DirecTv and the local installer, have the correct equipment ordered and reschedule the appointment.

DirecTv told me that the 5 LNB dish was not compatible with the HR10-250. The local installer told me that the 3 LNB dish was not compatible with the HR10-250. I have read in various forums online that the 5 LNB dish is, in fact, compatible and will be the dish of choice once the HR20-700 arrives in a few months.

I need to know which equipment is correct, so that I can order it and have it installed now.

Here is what I want to accomplish:
1. Receiving all available local and premium channels in HD.
2. Full utilization of Sunday Ticket SuperFan.

Here is what I would prefer to further accomplish:
1.Recording local channels in HD.

Please review this e-mail and let me know which dish will work with the HR10-250. I know that the HR20-700 should be out in a few months and that that will work with the 5 LNB dish with full HD capability. In the meantime, however, I'd still like to maximize HD channels.

I do not know if I can add an OTA HD antenna to my house (set up is already going to be rather complex) nor if I even need to since I hear that D* carries local HD feeds.

Would someone please answer the questions above as well as explain what local HD channels are available through D* in LA.

Thanks in advance.
post #102 of 2268 Old 07-12-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetesq View Post

Hi, all:

After months and months of agonizing, I decided to switch to D* from cable ONLY because of Sunday Ticket. Now, I am getting the run-around on HD capability and equipment compatibility. Here is the e-mail that I sent to D* today:

Hello -

When I signed up for DirecTV, I was told that I would be able to receive local channels in HD. I also read on the DirecTv website that I need a 5 LNB dish to fully enjoy the Sunday Ticket SuperFan package.

I was scheduled for installation this morning at 10:00 a.m. I was to have a HR10-250 (HD TiVo), a standard-def DVR and a standard box installed.

The technician brought the 3 LNB dish and I told him that I wanted the 5 LNB dish. He then told me to contact DirecTv and the local installer, have the correct equipment ordered and reschedule the appointment.

DirecTv told me that the 5 LNB dish was not compatible with the HR10-250. The local installer told me that the 3 LNB dish was not compatible with the HR10-250. I have read in various forums online that the 5 LNB dish is, in fact, compatible and will be the dish of choice once the HR20-700 arrives in a few months.

I need to know which equipment is correct, so that I can order it and have it installed now.

Please review this e-mail and let me know which dish will work with the HR10-250. I know that the HR20-700 should be out in a few months and that that will work with the 5 LNB dish with full HD capability. In the meantime, however, I'd still like to maximize HD channels.

I do not know if I can add an OTA HD antenna to my house (set up is already going to be rather complex) nor if I even need to since I hear that D* carries local HD feeds.

Would someone please answer the questions above as well as explain what local HD channels are available through D* in LA.

Thanks in advance.

I can not speak for what HD locals are available in LA but in Washington DC the major networks are all on local HD.
To answer your question directly, the 3LNB dish will not receive your local channels unless you get a waiver from each network. (doubtful).
The HR10-250 is technically compatible with either dish but will not receive or record your locals in HD. You must have a HR20-700 to receive and record locals in HD.
Finally, the broadcast thru D* for HD locals is no where near as clear as the OTA, period!
post #103 of 2268 Old 07-12-2006, 06:20 PM

Unfortunately it isn't that easy and definitely not as easy as cable...but, here you goes...

"DirecTv told me that the 5 LNB dish was not compatible with the HR10-250. The local installer told me that the 3 LNB dish was not compatible with the HR10-250. I have read in various forums online that the 5 LNB dish is, in fact, compatible and will be the dish of choice once the HR20-700 arrives in a few months."

Both are compatible with the HR10-250 as I have read, but with the 5 LNB you need to make sure you have proper installation (depending on if you want SAT and OTA or just SAT). Also, you will not be able to get the MPEG4 HD with the HR10-250 let alone record it. The 3 LNB doesn't get the MPEG4 stuff, just the MPEG2 stuff so the HR10-250 works perfectly with it. Of course you still don't get the MPEG4 HD (which for now is the local HD channels), but you can get an OTA (over the air antenna) and pick up the local channels that way and be able to record them using the HR10-250 as well.

"Here is what I want to accomplish:
2. Full utilization of Sunday Ticket SuperFan."

1. For d* local in HD you will need the 5 LNB and the H20 (I think that is what it is) receiver (you will not be able to record though) and review above for OTA. I think all of the premium HD channels are currently MPEG2 so both 3 LNB and 5 LNB will work, but any new channels coming out using MPEG4 will require the 5 LNB and the H20 or whatever new MPEG4 receiver/dvr they come out with.

2. Currently the sunday ticket superfan is all over MPEG2 so this shouldn't be an issue at all. Next year...who knows?

"Here is what I would prefer to further accomplish:
1.Recording local channels in HD."

As stated above, you need the OTA antenna and HR10-250 to accomplish that today or wait for the HR20-700 to come out and use with 5 LNB dish...

Quote:

Hi, all:

Hello -

Thanks in advance.

post #104 of 2268 Old 07-12-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately it isn't that easy and definitely not as easy as cable...but, here you goes...

"DirecTv told me that the 5 LNB dish was not compatible with the HR10-250. The local installer told me that the 3 LNB dish was not compatible with the HR10-250. I have read in various forums online that the 5 LNB dish is, in fact, compatible and will be the dish of choice once the HR20-700 arrives in a few months."

Both are compatible with the HR10-250 as I have read, but with the 5 LNB you need to make sure you have proper installation (depending on if you want SAT and OTA or just SAT). Also, you will not be able to get the MPEG4 HD with the HR10-250 let alone record it. The 3 LNB doesn't get the MPEG4 stuff, just the MPEG2 stuff so the HR10-250 works perfectly with it. Of course you still don't get the MPEG4 HD (which for now is the local HD channels), but you can get an OTA (over the air antenna) and pick up the local channels that way and be able to record them using the HR10-250 as well.

"Here is what I want to accomplish:
2. Full utilization of Sunday Ticket SuperFan."

1. For d* local in HD you will need the 5 LNB and the H20 (I think that is what it is) receiver (you will not be able to record though) and review above for OTA. I think all of the premium HD channels are currently MPEG2 so both 3 LNB and 5 LNB will work, but any new channels coming out using MPEG4 will require the 5 LNB and the H20 or whatever new MPEG4 receiver/dvr they come out with.

2. Currently the sunday ticket superfan is all over MPEG2 so this shouldn't be an issue at all. Next year...who knows?

"Here is what I would prefer to further accomplish:
1.Recording local channels in HD."

As stated above, you need the OTA antenna and HR10-250 to accomplish that today or wait for the HR20-700 to come out and use with 5 LNB dish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAHDFan View Post

I can not speak for what HD locals are available in LA but in Washington DC the major networks are all on local HD.
To answer your question directly, the 3LNB dish will not receive your local channels unless you get a waiver from each network. (doubtful).
The HR10-250 is technically compatible with either dish but will not receive or record your locals in HD. You must have a HR20-700 to receive and record locals in HD.
Finally, the broadcast thru D* for HD locals is no where near as clear as the OTA, period!

These answers are not correct. If you live in the LA DMA you can get the 4 major networks in HD with a 3lnb dish and a HR10-250. The LA locals are broadcast in mpeg2. You do not need the 5lnb dish for sunday ticket because your locals are available with the 3lnb dish.
post #105 of 2268 Old 07-13-2006, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgordo View Post

These answers are not correct. If you live in the LA DMA you can get the 4 major networks in HD with a 3lnb dish and a HR10-250. The LA locals are broadcast in mpeg2. You do not need the 5lnb dish for sunday ticket because your locals are available with the 3lnb dish.

You are correct - I don't live in LA, but aren't they starting to pull those or will they continue to be in mpeg2?

And locals being available has nothing to do with the sunday ticket superfan hd content...

Quote:

Also, you only get the major 4 in HD, not all locals...best option is the OTA for this.

Furthermore, if you want new hd such as the regional sports networks you'll need the 5 lnb and the h20...
post #106 of 2268 Old 07-13-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:

You are correct - I don't live in LA, but aren't they starting to pull those or will they continue to be in mpeg2?

And locals being available has nothing to do with the sunday ticket superfan hd content...

No, they will leave the mpeg2 versions up for several more years. The locals being available does have to do with the sunday ticket superfan hd content. The reason D* says that you need the 5lnb dish to get superfan is because games available on your local channels will be blacked out on the sunday ticket channels. Thus they tell you that you need the 5lnb dish to get those games in HD but that is not the case for people in the LA and NY DMAs, they only need the 3lnb dish to get their locals in HD.

Quote:

Also, you only get the major 4 in HD, not all locals...best option is the OTA for this.

Furthermore, if you want new hd such as the regional sports networks you'll need the 5 lnb and the h20...

True, you only get the 4 majors in HD without an OTA which is the best option for locals. And yes, if you want the regional sports networks you'll need the 5 lnb and the h20.
post #107 of 2268 Old 07-13-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:

The locals being available does have to do with the sunday ticket superfan hd content. The reason D* says that you need the 5lnb dish to get superfan is because games available on your local channels will be blacked out on the sunday ticket channels. Thus they tell you that you need the 5lnb dish to get those games in HD but that is not the case for people in the LA and NY DMAs, they only need the 3lnb dish to get their locals in HD.

See your point, but this has to do with local channels hd content...you can still get the "superfan" with the 3lnb dish which is my point. It is confusing (to me anyway) to say you need the 5lnb dish (and the H20 btw) to get "superfan".
Maybe better to say "you need the 5lnb (and H20) to get the local games in hd (unless you have an OTA antenna) because they will be blacked out on the sunday ticket channels." Plus the original poster I believe was from LA and will be able to get the locals in HD with the 3lnb so this is mute (for him anyway) and he can get all the HD offered in the "superfan" package...see not that easy!
post #108 of 2268 Old 07-13-2006, 09:32 AM

Thanks, all!

A follow up question -

Assuming that I do not install an OTA antenna, since I am in the LA DMA (direct market area??), will the 5 LNB/HR10-250 work the same as the 3 LNB/HR10-250 combo, or will I only be able to pull local channels in HD through D* with the 3 LNB dish (b/c the HR10-250 will not decode MPEG4)?

If the answer is yes, then I guess that I might as well go with the 5 LNB dish now so that I don't have to upgrade later. If no, then I will go with the 3 LNB dish and have them swap it out when the HR20-700 arrives.

Thanks again.
post #109 of 2268 Old 07-13-2006, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks, all!

A follow up question -

Assuming that I do not install an OTA antenna, since I am in the LA DMA (direct market area??), will the 5 LNB/HR10-250 work the same as the 3 LNB/HR10-250 combo, or will I only be able to pull local channels in HD through D* with the 3 LNB dish (b/c the HR10-250 will not decode MPEG4)?

If the answer is yes, then I guess that I might as well go with the 5 LNB dish now so that I don't have to upgrade later. If no, then I will go with the 3 LNB dish and have them swap it out when the HR20-700 arrives.

Thanks again.

Based on the comments from this board and from dgordo a few post ago, you are fortunate to be in LA an have the mpeg2 local HD for the four major stations so it doesn't matter which dish you get...the HR10-250 should work the same. I have the 3 LNB and recently thought about moving to the 5 LNB to get the MPEG4 HD content, but there seems to be mix messages on how it is working with the HR10-250...some have good results, but others have had issues so I'm holding off for now (also hoping they come out with a better/smaller dish).
post #110 of 2268 Old 07-13-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:

See your point, but this has to do with local channels hd content...you can still get the "superfan" with the 3lnb dish which is my point. It is confusing (to me anyway) to say you need the 5lnb dish (and the H20 btw) to get "superfan".
Maybe better to say "you need the 5lnb (and H20) to get the local games in hd (unless you have an OTA antenna) because they will be blacked out on the sunday ticket channels." Plus the original poster I believe was from LA and will be able to get the locals in HD with the 3lnb so this is mute (for him anyway) and he can get all the HD offered in the "superfan" package...see not that easy!

I agree but I believe that D* says that so people with the 3lnb dont call complaining that they cant see (insert team here) game in HD.
post #111 of 2268 Old 07-13-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks, all!

A follow up question -

Thanks again.

The 5 LNB/HR10-250 work the same as the 3 LNB/HR10-250 combo.
post #112 of 2268 Old 07-13-2006, 11:07 AM

Thanks, guys!
post #113 of 2268 Old 07-13-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Thanks, guys!

No problem. Dont let them tell you it wont work. It will.
post #114 of 2268 Old 07-13-2006, 01:09 PM

Just got off the phone with them (continued from my other thread), let me know if THIS sounds kosher:

I've got the 3LNB and I'm looking to get the H10-250, for approx $100 after a rebate. She told me that they have offers to upgrade to the 5LNB, free of charge and swap out devices that aren't mpeg4 compatible with devices that are.

The girl last night said that I could get another H20 added + the 5LNB for $100. If I want to upgrade to the new DVR once it's out, I'd be on my own since the H20's are mpeg4 compatable (not eligible for the swap).

But if I get the H10-250, I could swap it with the new one (plus have the 5LNB installed) at a discount. She said they're shooting for a $250 price for the new DVR and that the mpeg4 conversion/rollout should begin around January.

So what do you guys think? By the time January comes out, they should have more of the bugs ironed out (not holding breath) and even she admitted it's a better deal to get the current HD DVR for $100 and wait out the mpeg4 stuff.
post #115 of 2268 Old 07-13-2006, 01:18 PM

Quote:

No problem. Dont let them tell you it wont work. It will.

I lied, sorry. Two more questions -

1. Is there any advantage to getting the 5 LNB dish now, in light of the HR10-250's limitations?

2. Do we know if the HR20-700 box will require the 5 LNB dish?
post #116 of 2268 Old 07-13-2006, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

I lied, sorry. Two more questions -

1. Is there any advantage to getting the 5 LNB dish now, in light of the HR10-250's limitations?

2. Do we know if the HR20-700 box will require the 5 LNB dish?

You won't need to have it installed later when the HR20-700 is available, which will require the AT9 to record local sat-fed HD.
post #117 of 2268 Old 07-13-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

You won't need to have it installed later when the HR20-700 is available, which will require the AT9 to record local sat-fed HD.

Hmm. . . I think that i'll stick with the 3 LNB for now. I am concerned about the sensitivity of the 5 LNB dish, the issues that have been mentioned in the forum and the likelihood that the HR20-700 box will not be fully consumer ready until early next year.
post #118 of 2268 Old 07-13-2006, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm. . . I think that i'll stick with the 3 LNB for now. I am concerned about the sensitivity of the 5 LNB dish, the issues that have been mentioned in the forum and the likelihood that the HR20-700 box will not be fully consumer ready until early next year.

Ce-

One thing to keep in mind, you probably won't be able to get OTA from san clemente without a seriously huge antenna. You're roughly 60 miles from san diego's towers and 60 miles from LA's towers (I live in san juan capo and am in the same boat)

the three LNB dish and HD TIVO will work fine for you and take care of all the same ST and Superfan programming. I can't picture any difference in the situation with the 5 LNB dish, so ask for it if you can get it. It'll save you the trouble of a new install when you swap out your hd tivo for the new dvr. IF it is installed correctly (the big fear with newer technologies) you shouldn't have many/any issues since we don't really get inclement weather here.

If you do try to set up an OTA and have any success, let me know how it goes.
post #119 of 2268 Old 07-13-2006, 02:14 PM

Thanks -

In response to my email to DirecTV, here is what I received --

Thank you for writing. I am sorry to hear that you were misinformed about our HD equipment. Because you live in the Los Angeles area your local channels are available in HD with a 3-LNB dish. You do not need a 5-LNB to fully enjoy the NFL Sunday Ticket SuperFan. There is no need for us to install a 5-LNB dish, because you would not receive any programming that you cannot get from the 3-LNB dish. Currently, there would be no reason for you to upgrade to the HR20. We do not even install 5-LNB dishes in your area, because you cannot utilize them.

Thank you again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our services.

I guess that settles that. . .
post #120 of 2268 Old 07-13-2006, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

...DMA (direct market area??)...

Designated Market Area, in case anyone cares.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page