Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2268 Old 06-20-2006, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 358
This is a CONTINUATION of

DirecTV MPEG4 Installation & Hardware - Master Topic!

The original Master thread Starts Here and Ends Here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2268 Old 06-20-2006, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
dturturro - I think you misunderstood my point. I was trying to point out that neither is providing its customers the right thing right now - goes back to 'lesser of two evils'. IMO, at the very least, they BOTH should be able to open enough bandwidth to give the HD locals in full, magnificent rezz, after all these are by far the most desired and most watched channels. Gosh, let them get rid of some of the complete BS stuff they now have that ALMOST no one watches.

This was not a defense of D* nor a bash of E*, rather a thumbs down on both.
post #3 of 2268 Old 06-20-2006, 01:31 PM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66stang351 View Post

If you run high frequency splitters before the switches you can run them in parallel and get 16 outputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66stang351 View Post

Is this what you would recommend? All of this stuff is just going to hang on a wall near the electrical panel, so how it all looks is really not all that important.

Solid Signal recommends against cascading 6X8 multiswitches as it creates signal loss (but only on the MPEG 4 satellite). They recommend waiting for a new Spaun switch that will have 16 outputs. My thought is that will probably be a pricey option - much pricier than using high frequency splitters to utilize two independent 6x8's in parallel. Does anyone have experience with this - is it a viable option?

tjk
post #4 of 2268 Old 06-20-2006, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone gotten a recent install of HDtivo and not been given a 5lnb dish? I thought I read a report that all new installs get one but then read of installs where they wont give out anything but 3lnbs.

I dont care per se, just trying to get the fact straight.

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere w/DB8 antenna which gets in VHF 6
Sony T60 2-160 drives unsubbed
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
post #5 of 2268 Old 06-20-2006, 06:37 PM

HELP
Has anyone heard of a problem with reception on HD local channels only, on H20 receiver? I have 5LNB dish.
All my local HD stations have alot of pixelization. Several tech's have tried to fix it. I have good signal strength. Last tech replaced every part down to dish, switch, wiring, receivers and cables. No change. Has anyone heard of anything that could cause this kind of interference?
post #6 of 2268 Old 06-20-2006, 06:46 PM

plenty have heard of problems with the HD Locals (but only if you have real HDTV that can actually do 1080i natively without downcoverting it to 720p or lower....but I digress).

It helps if you state the city you are in (VA might be a good assumption for state).

You might also check your local threads - but for now, yes, HD Local channels have touchy, the true 1080i NBC and CBS more so than Fox or ABC.
post #7 of 2268 Old 06-21-2006, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

plenty have heard of problems with the HD Locals (but only if you have real HDTV that can actually do 1080i natively without downcoverting it to 720p or lower....but I digress).

This is such a thing? Why would someone get that?

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
post #8 of 2268 Old 06-21-2006, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

It helps if you state the city you are in (VA might be a good assumption for state).

You might also check your local threads - but for now, yes, HD Local channels have touchy, the true 1080i NBC and CBS more so than Fox or ABC.

OK,
I am in Fairfax Virginia. I have a Pioneer Elite Pro 1110 50" Plasma connected with a HDMI cable. I get the Washington DC locals. And yes it does happen always on CBS and much more on NBC than Fox or ABC, although during the NBA game last night it occurred quite often.
post #9 of 2268 Old 06-21-2006, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post

Has anyone gotten a recent install of HDtivo and not been given a 5lnb dish? I thought I read a report that all new installs get one but then read of installs where they wont give out anything but 3lnbs.

I am getting it in 6 days. Should I ask for the 5lnb? demand it? Either way, I'll let you know what happens.
post #10 of 2268 Old 06-21-2006, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

A dealer recently told me that D* penalizes him financially if he does not install a 5 LNB dish. Poses a problem for him (the dealer) as many people object to that monster, but if he doesn't install it, he loses money.
post #11 of 2268 Old 06-21-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAHDFan View Post

OK,
I am in Fairfax Virginia. I have a Pioneer Elite Pro 1110 50" Plasma connected with a HDMI cable. I get the Washington DC locals. And yes it does happen always on CBS and much more on NBC than Fox or ABC, although during the NBA game last night it occurred quite often.

I have an H20 and I have problems on the MPEG4(Washington DC) locals. My problems are pixelization and audio sync issues. Sometimes ABC's Good Morning America's audio is so out of sync it is unwatchable and we wil have to switch to the SD version of ABC and all is right.

I noticed the picture breakup also on ABC so I would guess that most of my issues are with ABC. Once in a while on the other networks (MPEG4)I will get picture blackout for a brief period.

More HD + More Golf = Retired!
post #12 of 2268 Old 06-21-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:

I had a trusted, independent installer upgrade my GainMaster to the 5LNB dish. I wouldn't risk being at the mercy of a random installer sent by DirecTV. I also didn't get anything free, but I know the dish was aligned with a spectrum analyzer. There are few if any unknowns if you go this route (assuming you can find someone you can trust). Look for someone who has been in business for many years if not decades, does TV antennas and other work, and owns a spectrum analyzer.

I haven't had any issues with rain fade like I did before the GainMaster was installed, so I think the bigger dish is on par with the GainMaster, even the the GainMaster was slightly wider.

On a separate note, my HD Tivo died , the recorded programs would play very choppy as well as live TV. I figured my disk drive was going. DirecTV replaced the Tivo (same HR-250), but mistakingly sent me two. I called and asked if I could upgrade my non-DVR RCA receiver to the 2nd HD Tivo, and return the RCA instead and they let me do it. Kind of made up for my paying for the dish upgrade and H20! The new Tivo is leased. Now I can upgrade the leased one and hold on to the original when I eventually upgrade to the MPEG4 DVR.

-Dave
post #13 of 2268 Old 06-22-2006, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

A dealer recently told me that D* penalizes him financially if he does not install a 5 LNB dish. Poses a problem for him (the dealer) as many people object to that monster, but if he doesn't install it, he loses money.

goes to show u the lack of communication...i've read some people beg for the new dish to be installed so there's only one install (as you know they dont remove old dishes).....so obviously all dealers and also DTV dont even know their own policies

one guy even agreed to a 2 year commitment so they would install one now instead of when he really needed it (though i dont know why he did that)

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
post #14 of 2268 Old 06-22-2006, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

goes to show u the lack of communication...i've read some people beg for the new dish to be installed so there's only one install (as you know they dont remove old dishes).....so obviously all dealers and also DTV dont even know their own policies

one guy even agreed to a 2 year commitment so they would install one now instead of when he really needed it (though i dont know why he did that)

Yes, I've read the same, which is why I found the dealer's comments interesting.

I wonder how much this depends upon which market one is in. D* may be insisting on the 5 LNB dishes in some areas, but not (yet) in others. (?)
post #15 of 2268 Old 06-22-2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure what part of my explanation you didn't understand---but when you asked me, I explained as well as I knew how that I was led to believe by the CSR I spoke to when setting up the new receiver that a 2 year commitment would be required whenever I got the new dish. I didn't pay anything out of pocket for the dish or the installation. I didn't pay anything for the receiver (which replaced a refurbished samsung360, which replaced my original Hughes e86, bought on sale a few years back from a now defunct retail chain called good guys, when it died).
As I think I also explained, my other options, should I leave D* in the next 2 years, are Comcast Cable and E*, neither of which I find any more appealing than D*.
I'm fairly certain I would have remained a D* subscriber for at least two more years, and probably would have paid to upgrade both the receiver and dish if/when it became necessary. So it didn't seem like a big deal to me.
Have I explained myself more clearly this time?
post #16 of 2268 Old 06-23-2006, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

it's not you i didnt get..it's dtv that i dont believe...if they send you something involuntarily (for example everyone's current forced h20 switch), i dont really think there is an extension of commitment required.

in other words, i think you were suckered

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
post #17 of 2268 Old 06-23-2006, 02:01 PM

Quote:

I had a H10-250 installed Tuesday and they didn't install the 5lnb dish they left me with my 3lnb dish.
post #18 of 2268 Old 06-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
"in other words, i think you were suckered"

Nope,he wasnt ,D tried to get me to extend my contract also,which I agreed to before the new dish install.
After a 4.5 hour install and still having problems with the new dish,I called D and complained.They waived the 2 year contract due to my 7 years with them(well that and I threatened to cancel and go with E ).

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

Aragon 4004, and Outlaw 7100 amps

Chase 18.1 Sub,and Velodyne DD15

LittleBear tube preamp

Pro-Ject debutte 3 turntable

post #19 of 2268 Old 06-23-2006, 07:25 PM

I'm finally going to take the plunge. I'm a bit confused and hope to get some insight.

I want to upgrade to a HD DVR. I live in Jersey and get NY Locals. Should I order up the H10-250 or wait for the H20-250? I hear from some of these posts that, with some haggling, I may be able to work out some magic deal for the H10-250 (not a ST sub).

1. If I order the H10-250, which dish should I request/demand they install in order to insure I have the latest equipment?

2. Do I need the off air ant (I'm about 60 miles from NYC).

3. Would I be able to record my locals with the H10-250?

4. What benefits would I get if I waited for the H20-250?

5. If I ordered the H10-250, any idea what DTV plans on doing to upgrade their HD customers if they want the H20-250? My concern is when the H20-250 finally does come out, I'm sure the lease deal will be in excess of $500. However, if I order the H10-250 now, the upgrade to the H20-250 may or may not be easier on the wallet

Thanks in advance for any help. Unfortunately, calling DTV and trying to get answers from a CSR that using the phrase "ummm....ummm" more than once in a conversation is enough to drive me crazy!!!
post #20 of 2268 Old 06-23-2006, 08:17 PM

1. I would still get teh AT9 since that makes you future-proofed. All HD will be going to the new birds in a couple years.

2. If you are officially in the NY, NY DMA then your big 4 locals (HD) will be available from D* If you want the other stations in HD you will need an OTA antenna

3. OTA locals can be recorded by the H10-250, and again if you are in the NY, NY DMA then you can record the MPEG-2 channels.

4. None that I can really see.

5. Who knows?? I would think there will be some kind of upgrade special but cant say for sure.
post #21 of 2268 Old 06-24-2006, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

are you telling me that forced upgrades such as the H20 and 5lnb dish will extend your commitment? It's nuts that if someone takes no action on their own part that they can just unilaterally force you to extend the commitment. I guess if they mailed us new Hdtivos every 2 years they'd have us forever.

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
post #22 of 2268 Old 06-24-2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:

HELP
Has anyone heard of a problem with reception on HD local channels only, on H20 receiver? I have 5LNB dish.
All my local HD stations have alot of pixelization. Several tech's have tried to fix it. I have good signal strength. Last tech replaced every part down to dish, switch, wiring, receivers and cables. No change. Has anyone heard of anything that could cause this kind of interference?

I just had it installed and only got a 3LNB.
post #23 of 2268 Old 06-24-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpurcell View Post

I just had it installed and only got a 3LNB.

I was told local HD channels are available only with 5 LNB Dish.
post #24 of 2268 Old 06-24-2006, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was told local HD channels are available only with 5 LNB Dish.

over satellite that's correct (excluding the NY/LA feeds).

However Hdtivo and the new mpeg4 receiver both can accept on OTA feed.

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
post #25 of 2268 Old 06-24-2006, 11:37 PM

What do you want to bet the newbie is only counting 3 feed horns on the AT9?
post #26 of 2268 Old 06-25-2006, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

but the size difference between old and new dishes is clearly ascertainable.

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
post #27 of 2268 Old 06-25-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:

but the size difference between old and new dishes is clearly ascertainable.

You are assuming a newbie has ever paid attention to a dish before one went on their roof.
post #28 of 2268 Old 06-25-2006, 03:57 PM

AWESOME HD/MPEG 4 INFO!!

YES! - will be in HD!

Fox Sports Network

Regions: Prime Ticket, West, Bay Area, Southwest, North, Northwest, South,
Detroit, Florida, STO (sports time ohio, go cleveland!), Arizona, Rocky Mtn
and TurnerSouth

Note: - this will be "games only" so my interperitation is "only the live feeds will be on the HD, no
pregames, post games, commentaries, reruns etc. etc..."

ALSO NESN will be 24/7 HD - r0x0rz!

i bet you're all like when!? it will be like in october.... or August... or NOVEMBER @_@ *bites fingernails*

actually its saturday july first....

we're planning on eventually having them all 24/7 but live games is a great start.

coming in August '06: Comcast sportsNet Chicago,Comcast sportsNet Mid-Atlantic
SNY (SNNY)(mets)

Coming mid October '06: Madison Square Garden, FSN NY, Sun Sports, FSN Ohio, HD Net(Sports)

Can You believe it ?

Note: 5 LNB Dish Required, MPEG 4 Hardware required, all info and release dates are tentative and subject to change. please call 1-800-531-5000 for more info.

-Brine
post #29 of 2268 Old 06-25-2006, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Old news I'm afraid (starting at post 139):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3&page=5&pp=30

But its GREAT to hear from ANOTHER source exactly as I got it last week. And it is GREAT news!!!!!!!
post #30 of 2268 Old 06-25-2006, 04:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 400
The actual start date is news isn't it? I'm a little confused at these last couple of postings, are you saying this was announced in a different thread?
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page