post #91 of 342 Old 11-16-2006, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post

I am considering whether to dump cable and then get a 622 in the great room, from which I would feed the 2nd TV output to the guest room. If someone is in the guest room channel surfing, what tuners are left for the great room and how can they be used? Could I still record one show off the dish while watching another if someone is watching live TV upstairs?

There are two satellite tuners and one OTA tuner in the 622. If upstairs is using satellite tuner 2 to channel surf and you are using satellite tuner 1 to record a program, that only leaves the OTA tuner to watch live TV downstairs.

If you attempt to change the channel downstairs to a satellite channel you will get a banner page saying that to continue will stop the recording in process and ask you whether you want to continue or cancel.

Rick R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 342 Old 11-16-2006, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post

I am considering whether to dump cable and then get a 622 in the great room, from which I would feed the 2nd TV output to the guest room. If someone is in the guest room channel surfing, what tuners are left for the great room and how can they be used? Could I still record one show off the dish while watching another if someone is watching live TV upstairs?

There are only 2 satellite tuners on the 622. If someone is surfing (watching) on the "Guest Room" (TV2), then you can only watch live or record on the great room (TV1).
However, an interesting extreme scenario is that you could be recording 3 shows (2 from satellite and 1 OTA) while at the same time watching 2 different previously recorded shows on the Great Room and Guest Room (I've done that).

Walter
post #93 of 342 Old 11-19-2006, 05:27 PM

I just had my 622 installed yesterday, it looks like OTA output is not pass through, I don't get OTA signals on the TV1&TV2 directly from the OTA it comes from 622. I thought that 622 would modulate Sat signal and transmit so TV2 would tune to assigned channel (21-69) without affecting the rest of OTA channels. Am I missing something or that is intended operation.
tx
post #94 of 342 Old 11-19-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlak View Post

I just had my 622 installed yesterday, it looks like OTA output is not pass through, I don't get OTA signals on the TV1&TV2 directly from the OTA it comes from 622. I thought that 622 would modulate Sat signal and transmit so TV2 would tune to assigned channel (21-69) without affecting the rest of OTA channels. Am I missing something or that is intended operation.
tx

Intended operation is for a second TV hookup is for it operate like a stand alone receiver. It has a second tuner and a UHF remote that works through the walls. Select channel 140, 9420, or 8 on this second tuner and that's the DISH feed you get on the TV.

The OTA tuner integrates with the channel guide on TV #1. You can watch a recorded OTA show on either TV 1 or 2. However, the OTA signal does not pass through to TV2.

If you want to watch something live off of your antenna it has to be on TV1 (at least that's how my system is set up). My TV antennea integrates with TV1 perfectly. You need to go to the DISH menu and set it up to find the OTA channels first, however.

Mark
post #95 of 342 Old 11-20-2006, 05:33 AM

Off this topic but can anyone tell me if there is a way to get rid of the screen that asks you to click select to conintue when the 622 fist comes on? It's a real pain not to have it go directly to a program. I just got the 622 last night and can't seem to figure this out.

Thanks
post #96 of 342 Old 11-20-2006, 09:07 AM

thanks Mark,
at the TV2 location I have additional OTA antennna, not connected to 622, do you know if there is a switch so I can use to combine 622 signal and second OTA signal since my tv has only one OTA input (I had manual one in the past). I hope that make sense.
thanks again
T
post #97 of 342 Old 11-20-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherby View Post

Off this topic but can anyone tell me if there is a way to get rid of the screen that asks you to click select to conintue when the 622 fist comes on? It's a real pain not to have it go directly to a program. I just got the 622 last night and can't seem to figure this out.

Thanks

If it is showing that it means the 622 TUNER you want (Either TV1 or TV2) is shut off. You could leave it on all the time I guess, but that isn't recommended. The select button simply turns on the respective tuner you want to use.

Mark
post #98 of 342 Old 11-20-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:

thanks Mark,
at the TV2 location I have additional OTA antennna, not connected to 622, do you know if there is a switch so I can use to combine 622 signal and second OTA signal since my tv has only one OTA input (I had manual one in the past). I hope that make sense.
thanks again
T

Thats a little different than my needs, so its out of my knowledge base. Does the owners manual say anything about it?

Could you get a hook-up for the back of your TV to run both feeds into? They used to have them for all kinds of things like video games in the old days -- and you'd flip a switch on the hookup box to select between the signals. There should be something like that to run two coax feeds into...
post #99 of 342 Old 11-21-2006, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

tx

I subscribe to locals. This allows the second TV to get all the SD locals from satellite. As a result there is no need to have my second TV tune OTA.

Rick R
post #100 of 342 Old 11-21-2006, 01:17 PM

just off topic,
I have a charge of 11.98 for DISH HOME PROTECTION (first two months 5.99/month)
is it worthed? I did not request that but the installer put it on anyhow should I cancel it?
tx
T
post #101 of 342 Old 11-21-2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasels View Post

Could you get a hook-up for the back of your TV to run both feeds into? They used to have them for all kinds of things like video games in the old days -- and you'd flip a switch on the hookup box to select between the signals. There should be something like that to run two coax feeds into...

this is what I need, I was wandering if anyone would recommend one
thanks Weasels
post #102 of 342 Old 11-21-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:

just off topic,
I have a charge of 11.98 for DISH HOME PROTECTION (first two months 5.99/month)
is it worthed? I did not request that but the installer put it on anyhow should I cancel it?
tx
T

I don't even know what it covers, but that kind of thing is always a "suckers bet." Its a rip off, cancel it ASAP and ask for your money back on what you've already paid for.

Just one man's thought!
mark
post #103 of 342 Old 11-21-2006, 07:03 PM

thanks weasels
that is what I think, we have to pay for the recivers rentals and on the top of it for warranty - add, since I don't even own the boxes.
post #104 of 342 Old 11-21-2006, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I pay Dish Home Protection on the one receiver I own, the 811. It has come in handy because E* has replaced this receiver once after the one I bought died. I do not pay this on the other receivers because I lease them. I do not believe E* should be charging you for this on leased receivers. It is optional coverage even on receivers you own as I elected it a few months after I bought my 811 which, in my case, turned out for the better.
post #105 of 342 Old 11-22-2006, 05:13 AM

thanks for responses, I looked closer at my bill and it has credit for the same amount, I found out that Dish offers some promo now (DHPP is free for first 18 months). Sorry, for even bringing it up. (but if leased equipment brakes - they would have to replac it right? 622 is expensive)
t
post #106 of 342 Old 11-22-2006, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for responses, I looked closer at my bill and it has credit for the same amount, I found out that Dish offers some promo now (DHPP is free for first 18 months). Sorry, for even bringing it up. (but if leased equipment brakes - they would have to replac it right? 622 is expensive)
t

Yeap, I already went thorugh that. My 1st 922 failed after 1-month of usage and it only took a phone call to get a replacement.

Walter
post #107 of 342 Old 11-22-2006, 07:51 PM

I posted this before but still haven't solved my problem. Anyone know how to get rid of the screen that comes on when you turn on the 622. Instead of going directly to the last program it goes to a black screen with the Dish logo asking you to click select to continue.
Thanks
post #108 of 342 Old 11-23-2006, 07:29 PM

We just sign up for DISH HD Silver and have a few q's
1.We'll have the 622 for the den and a separate hd box for the bedroom, how do get access to the dvr recordings on the bedroom tv?
2.Will the recordings be in true high def over coax or composite on the bedroom tv? 3.Do they charge extra for the ota antenna if I get locals through the dish?
4.How do we ensure the install goes well, the best dish 1000? and proper signal level?
5.Are there questions I should ask the tech?

I have had Crapcast for years and am looking forward to a clear picture.
Thanks for all the great info!
post #109 of 342 Old 11-24-2006, 01:17 PM
tsc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Olevia View Post

We just sign up for DISH HD Silver and have a few q's
1.We'll have the 622 for the den and a separate hd box for the bedroom, how do get access to the dvr recordings on the bedroom tv?
2.Will the recordings be in true high def over coax or composite on the bedroom tv? 3.Do they charge extra for the ota antenna if I get locals through the dish?
4.How do we ensure the install goes well, the best dish 1000? and proper signal level?
5.Are there questions I should ask the tech?

I have had Crapcast for years and am looking forward to a clear picture.
Thanks for all the great info!

1) You'll need a coax (or composite/s-video, I'm using coax) run from the 622 to your TV in the bedroom. You tune the bedroom TV to channel 60 (or the channel that is set on the 622), and use your RF remote to control the DVR in the den. You will need to put the 622 in dual-mode for individual watching. If you will only access recordings in the bedroom when the TV in the den is not in use, you can enable shared view on the 622 in single-mode.

2) HD recordings will be downconverted to SD (and should stay 16x9 if desired) for the bedroom TV.

3) You'll need your own antenna, or opt to pay extra for Dish to install an outdoor antenna for you. If you subscribe to locals, I would still use an OTA antenna for the best quality, and this allows you to record up to 3 things at once (2 sat tuners, 1 OTA tuner). Also, having the locals from Dish will allow you to record up to 3 network shows at the same time.

4) Depends on your site. Dish 1000 may be fine, otherwise they may need to run 2 dishes. They should determine this as they do a site survey before getting their equipment out of the truck.

5) Unfortunately, don't expect correct answers from the tech. The installer I had tried to tell me that the guide order cannot be changed from ascending to descending (and vice versa), that the 622 can only record 1 HD and 1 SD and that the 622 cannot record 3 things at once. All of those things can actually be done.

You will enjoy your 622 and 211.
post #110 of 342 Old 11-24-2006, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the answers. I'll let you know what I think after Tues.
post #111 of 342 Old 11-26-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsc View Post

5) Unfortunately, don't expect correct answers from the tech. The installer I had tried to tell me that the guide order cannot be changed from ascending to descending (and vice versa), that the 622 can only record 1 HD and 1 SD and that the 622 cannot record 3 things at once. All of those things can actually be done.

You will enjoy your 622 and 211.

Too true. My installer was decent but didnt know a few things. According to him he swore the 2nd remote only worked on TV2 & only if your in duel mode when in fact it works just fine as a 2nd remote when your in Single mode.
post #112 of 342 Old 11-27-2006, 06:08 AM
tsc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bratboy View Post

Too true. My installer was decent but didnt know a few things. According to him he swore the 2nd remote only worked on TV2 & only if your in duel mode when in fact it works just fine as a 2nd remote when your in Single mode.

Yep, 99% of the time I leave my 622 in single mode (with shared view enabled) and at night when the wife and I are in the bedroom, if we want to access a recording I just tune the TV to the appropriate channel and use the 2nd remote. Only time I switch it to dual mode is if we actually want to watch 2 different recordings at the same time, which really doesn't happen all that often. When we're done I switch it back to single mode.

It's also fun to mess with her, in the bedroom while she's watching something and randomly pausing the show or changing the channel.
post #113 of 342 Old 11-27-2006, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried to enable closed captioning on TV2. I couldn't get it to work. TV2 for me is an outdoor/hottub TV and I thougt CC might be handy as it's sometimes difficult to hear the outdoor TV.
post #114 of 342 Old 11-27-2006, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for these questions, but here goes..currently I have Comcast with HD/DVR in Columbia MD. I will be moving to Baltimore county next year and was thinking of possibly changing to either D*, but am bothered by the lack of HD national channels OR Dish HD/622 DVR..is this a MPEG 4 unit? can I record 1 show in HD while watching another HD show? How does the pic quality stack up compared to D* or Comcast?..All answers are very much appreciated..thanks.
post #115 of 342 Old 11-28-2006, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAVID View Post

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for these questions, but here goes..currently I have Comcast with HD/DVR in Columbia MD. I will be moving to Baltimore county next year and was thinking of possibly changing to either D*, but am bothered by the lack of HD national channels OR Dish HD/622 DVR..is this a MPEG 4 unit? can I record 1 show in HD while watching another HD show? How does the pic quality stack up compared to D* or Comcast?..All answers are very much appreciated..thanks.

Yes the 622 is a MPEG4 unit. Yes you can record one show in HD while watching another. Actually there are 2 satellite tuners and one OTA tuner so you can record two shows while watching a third if one is OTA. Also there are two outputs for two TVs so you can hook up a second TV to the 622 but the second output is not HD but is for a non-HD set. However as a result you can record 3 shows with the three tuners whild watching two previously recorded shows on the two TVs. I love my 622 by the way. With the 622 Dish Network has a package of 25 national channels; many, but not all, are in full 1080x1920 resolution.

Rick R
post #116 of 342 Old 11-28-2006, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thank you Rick R
post #117 of 342 Old 11-30-2006, 07:05 AM

Everything I read here says I should be able to do three things at once. What I tried to do last night is record something on my OTA, something on my Dish locals, and watch TNTHD. It wouldn't let me switch to TNT without cancelling a recording. Just got the DVR on Monday so maybe I'm doing something wrong. It is set to dual mode but no one was using the other television.
One other question is does everyone have cables running to their second tv? My installer cut to the cable line that was running to the tv already and said he was backfeeding that tv before the dvr? Could that be causing my problem?
post #118 of 342 Old 11-30-2006, 07:58 AM

Not sure but think you want to be in single mode otherwise 1 Sat tuner is assigned to each TV1 & TV2.
post #119 of 342 Old 11-30-2006, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkayers View Post

What I tried to do last night is record something on my OTA, something on my Dish locals, and watch TNTHD. It wouldn't let me switch to TNT without cancelling a recording.

Just switch it to single mode like bratboy says and you won't any probelm with that. I do it all the time.
post #120 of 342 Old 11-30-2006, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkayers View Post

Everything I read here says I should be able to do three things at once. What I tried to do last night is record something on my OTA, something on my Dish locals, and watch TNTHD. It wouldn't let me switch to TNT without cancelling a recording.

Assuming that you're trying to watch TNT on TV1 (otherwise switch TV1 and TV2 on what I'm saying next), it must have been that your recording was active on TV1 instead of TV2.
The behavior of the 622 is as follows: when you press the record button to record a program that already started, it should ask you if you want to record it to TV1 or TV2. If you plan to change channel later, you should select TV2 so that TV1 is free to change channels.
Now, if you're trying to schedule a recording of a program that hasn't started, it will be scheduled on the "preferred" tuner as specified under the "User Preferences" menu (TV1 or TV2). Based on what you're saying, perhaps yours is set to TV1. I recommend you to change it to TV2. In that way, TV1 will stay free to watch live (change channels) or record a 2nd show.

BTW, the above only applies if you stay on Dual mode all the time (like me).

Walter
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page