Dish Network VIP622 Receiver Questions... - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 342 Old 02-16-2007, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The thing with the remote range is to change batteries frequently, don't wait until the "battery low" warning

Walter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 342 Old 02-21-2007, 06:30 PM

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'm pretty much set up. I had some reception issues on the second tv (grainy picture) but after remodulating with different channels a few times, it looks much better. I might try a little bit more to get a better picture but I'm finally happy with what I have for now.

I was having trouble with the range of the remote on the second tv(uhf), but was able to do the 'splitter trick' and have a set of rabbit ears on the other end of the splitter going into the tv and it now works better.

I'm now looking at getting another remote for the third tv (I have my uhf tuner split across two tvs) off of ebay but wanted to make sure I am getting the correct one. The second remote that I have currently for the tuner is a 6.0 IR/UHF Pro but I would only need a UHF Pro, right? All of the remotes with both IR & UHF cost more so I wanted to go the cheapie route? Are there any models that I need to look for (stay away from)?

Couple more questions, too. Is there an easy way to select which tuner will record on the DVR without having to go to the setup menu and switching the preferred recording tuner everytime you need to switch?

And if I am in dual mode and lets say a program is recording on tuner 1 (which I have set to TV1), is there a way I can easily switch to view the second tuner on TV1 without disturbing the recording? Thanks again for the help.
post #183 of 342 Old 02-28-2007, 01:00 PM

hello, i just ordered dish and am getting rid of comcast with my bill of $150+ and now a whopping $265 per month due to my promotion expiring!

the most important question for me is this:

can i record TWO HDTV programs simultaneously with the 622 in single mode?
post #184 of 342 Old 02-28-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie29 View Post

hello, i just ordered dish and am getting rid of comcast with my bill of $150+ and now a whopping $265 per month due to my promotion expiring!

the most important question for me is this:

can i record TWO HDTV programs simultaneously with the 622 in single mode?

Yes you can!!!
post #185 of 342 Old 03-01-2007, 03:04 PM

thanks, that is good news! hey walter, your private box is full! here is my message to you:
Walter, they are coming to install tomorrow in the afternoon, can i just give them this number or must you email me an image of the card or must you mail me an actual card or something? also i am not taking the 18 month commitment, so that's why i have to pay the $49 activation fee... Will the card number suffice?

They are saying i need to present the card at installation. Should I reschedule? Can you mail me a card?
post #186 of 342 Old 03-03-2007, 03:09 AM

Hello all,
I waited to get my 622 until Feb 1 to get the new free HDDVR promo I had to call them to get this option it was unavailable on the web site ordering page. With the free HDDVR upgrade, $200.00 credit and more HD channels it was a great time to switch from DTV to feed my new JVC HD-P61R1U I bought for my Housewarming/Christmas present for myself. System was installed Feb 10th Installer set everything up and activated system with what seemed to be no problems. We had a major snow storm 4 days later so I was a bit busy to figure the whole set out but when I started flipping through channels it turns out that over 40 of my subscribed channels were not working, they were telling me I had to call D and subscribe. I called D and verified the correct package was set up which it was and then was transferred to tech support. After two different calls and a walk through both times it appears my 622 will not update from the Sat feed. All switches and Sat feeds are good but it appears after their initial software update on install day the system has never again successfully been able to update itself. I have a new box in hand from their advance replacement program to install today. Has anyone else heard of this problem? Also other than having a pocket dish is there any way to download the programs I have recorded to the receiver before I ship it back?
I hope they do not try to say this was my fault in any way, I am a bit leery of the statement on the exchange unit that if they determine the problem is in any way my fault they will charge me but with no reference to how much or how they determine if it was my fault or the installers fault or just a bad unit.
post #187 of 342 Old 03-03-2007, 09:21 AM

New (re manufactured) 622 installed and activated with no problems. Looks like all channels are showing ok. I think the original one was ok after all, it seems the 2 Techs I spoke to originally never asked the right questions when I was having the problems. It seems the stations I was trying to tune in to were the backup locations for the satellite feeds not the primary feed so they would not show up. Now I can either keep the replacement receiver or send it back and reactivate my original set they said they don't care as long as they get one back. Any disadvantage keeping the reman unit 05/06j build vs 06/06k build of my original unit?
post #188 of 342 Old 03-06-2007, 05:58 AM

I've got a couple of newbie 622 questions. I read earlier that new firmware will allow Dolby Digital to be passed over HDMI. If it currently can't be passed, what does setting the external decoder to Dolby Digital only or Dolby Digital/PCM or PCM do? The same for Line vs. RF? I get audio with any combination that I try. RF plays louder than line mode, but other than that, I can't tell any difference. I assume that once DD is enabled, the source is DD, and I have the external decoder set to DD, that my receiver will detect a DD signal. All I ever see now is PCM.

How can you tell if you have the new firmware to pass DD? I think the other poster mentioned version 4.01 after 3/1. I would guess that everyone should have this downloaded by now. My software version is L366. What does that translate to?

Thanks,
Kevin
post #189 of 342 Old 03-06-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isbTurbo View Post

I've got a couple of newbie 622 questions. I read earlier that new firmware will allow Dolby Digital to be passed over HDMI. If it currently can't be passed, what does setting the external decoder to Dolby Digital only or Dolby Digital/PCM or PCM do? The same for Line vs. RF? I get audio with any combination that I try. RF plays louder than line mode, but other than that, I can't tell any difference. I assume that once DD is enabled, the source is DD, and I have the external decoder set to DD, that my receiver will detect a DD signal. All I ever see now is PCM.

How can you tell if you have the new firmware to pass DD? I think the other poster mentioned version 4.01 after 3/1. I would guess that everyone should have this downloaded by now. My software version is L366. What does that translate to?

Thanks,
Kevin

New software version will show up as L401, as of a couple days ago I still had the old software also.

Not sure about your audio questions. I use the optical out to my receiver and while it sounds great I'm not sure about the particulars between DD/5.1/PCM, perhaps someone else can jump in here!

Mark
post #190 of 342 Old 03-06-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtnorseman View Post

New (re manufactured) 622 installed and activated with no problems. Looks like all channels are showing ok. I think the original one was ok after all, it seems the 2 Techs I spoke to originally never asked the right questions when I was having the problems. It seems the stations I was trying to tune in to were the backup locations for the satellite feeds not the primary feed so they would not show up. Now I can either keep the replacement receiver or send it back and reactivate my original set they said they don't care as long as they get one back. Any disadvantage keeping the reman unit 05/06j build vs 06/06k build of my original unit?

I know very recently they began to shore up the way the HDMI is attached to the internal board, it was pretty shoddy before. I dont think either the 05/06 or 06/06 ones had this upgrade. I would think that they are very similar builds.
post #191 of 342 Old 03-08-2007, 09:14 PM

I have an 811 right now and I am considering upgrading. I had a couple of questions.

1. Do you get charged for two receivers instead of one since this has two tuners in it?
2. Do you have to still pay a stupid fee to use the DVR?
3. If I don't subscribe to the locals and I get them on an OTA antenna can I still record them with the DVR?

Thanks!
post #192 of 342 Old 03-08-2007, 09:18 PM

Calvinlc,

1. If connected to a phone line, only one $6 per month receiver fee.
2. Yes, $5.98 per month.
3. Yes, but without the guide data, you must manually program the OTA recording, just like the old days of a VCR.

The 622 is 100 times better than the 811. I liked the 811 and was fairly satisfied with its quirks, but the 622 is awesome. No reboots when tuning to a local channel, better local channel reception, better guide and better interface.

My thoughts, for what they are worth.

Miner
post #193 of 342 Old 03-09-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post

Calvinlc,

1. If connected to a phone line, only one $6 per month receiver fee.
2. Yes, $5.98 per month.
3. Yes, but without the guide data, you must manually program the OTA recording, just like the old days of a VCR.

The 622 is 100 times better than the 811. I liked the 811 and was fairly satisfied with its quirks, but the 622 is awesome. No reboots when tuning to a local channel, better local channel reception, better guide and better interface.

My thoughts, for what they are worth.

Miner

So if the 622 is my only receiver, do I need to pay a fee at all? If I only have one receiver I know that used to be free...at least that's the way it is with my present contract, and it is only 5.00 per month on my bill. Thanks!
post #194 of 342 Old 03-09-2007, 08:28 AM

Calvinlc,

I believe that as your only receiver the fee is included in your subscription. You may want to confirm that with Dish, though.

I own a 942, lease a 622 and an 811, so I pay 2 additional receiver fees (622, 811) and 2 DVR fees (622 and 942), plus the $20 HD fee. I kept my leased 811 when I upgraded because I can now watch the extra (HD) channels on the SD TV in the guest bedroom. Neither the 942 or 811 receive the MPEG4 channels, but neither would a 625 or 301 (311), and since I already pay the $20 HD fee, might as well watch as much of it as I can.

Miner
post #195 of 342 Old 03-09-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post

Calvinlc,

I believe that as your only receiver the fee is included in your subscription. You may want to confirm that with Dish, though.

I own a 942, lease a 622 and an 811, so I pay 2 additional receiver fees (622, 811) and 2 DVR fees (622 and 942), plus the $20 HD fee. I kept my leased 811 when I upgraded because I can now watch the extra (HD) channels on the SD TV in the guest bedroom. Neither the 942 or 811 receive the MPEG4 channels, but neither would a 625 or 301 (311), and since I already pay the $20 HD fee, might as well watch as much of it as I can.

Miner

Thanks Miner. So what is the difference between buying and "leasing" the 622? The darn dish people's billing practices are getting as complicated as the IRS I looked at there comparison chart with DirectTV and Cable and they have all these green "Free" items on there, like a DVR for instance, which I know darn good and well they aren't.

--Calvin
post #196 of 342 Old 03-09-2007, 03:20 PM

Calvin,

I've been with Dish forever and the only reason I own my 942 is I got it cheap. For the 622, buying it outright costs around $450, vice $150 to lease. You pay an extra receiver fee if you own it, a lease fee if you lease. The amount is the same, either way. If you decide to leave Dish, you give back the equip if it is leased; or you sell it to someone if you bought it. I believe that from an accounting perspective Dish has more "assets" by leasing the equipment than by selling it. Nothing is free as you point out. It may be included in the monthly cost, but it isn't free.

Miner
post #197 of 342 Old 03-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys. I just dropped Directtv for Dish Network and have the VIP 622HD/DVR. WOW the HD content looks AMAZING on my Sammy 5687w.

Anyone know what the program code for the OPPO 970 is to program the 622DVR remote?

Thanks
post #198 of 342 Old 03-23-2007, 04:51 PM

Hi guys, still haven't quite figured this out. In single mode is there an easy way to select which tuner will record on the DVR without having to go to the setup menu and switching the 'preferred recording tuner' every time you need to switch to the second tuner to record? (since Tuner 1 is my preferred tuner)

Also, I have set up Dish Pass to record new episodes of Las Vegas, but right now it is recording the SD ones on TNT. Can I set it up to record in HD when available without having to manually change it everytime in the DVR schedule menu. Right now it is automatically skipping the HD one on TNTHD and recording the SD one on TNT. Thanks again.
post #199 of 342 Old 03-23-2007, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recess View Post

Hi guys, still haven't quite figured this out. In single mode is there an easy way to select which tuner will record on the DVR without having to go to the setup menu and switching the 'preferred recording tuner' every time you need to switch to the second tuner to record? (since Tuner 1 is my preferred tuner)

I'm not aware of any way to do that. Anyone?
Quote:

Also, I have set up Dish Pass to record new episodes of Las Vegas, but right now it is recording the SD ones on TNT. Can I set it up to record in HD when available without having to manually change it everytime in the DVR schedule menu. Right now it is automatically skipping the HD one on TNTHD and recording the SD one on TNT. Thanks again.

Don't use Dish Pass. Instead, simply set-up a recurrent recording event on TNT_HD.

Walter
post #200 of 342 Old 03-24-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:

I use dual mode all the time so I am lost as to question #1.

I know that the new software upgrade (L401 or something like that) was supposed to give the option of only recording events in HD or SD. If that isnt an option yet when you set your dish pass recordings it should soon be. They mentioned the upgrade on the Tech Chat about a month ago.

Mark
post #201 of 342 Old 03-24-2007, 05:55 PM

Here is my only complaint that I have not figured out a way around yet...

When you select an event to record the default option is "all episodes" of the event. Since I really don't want to record every single Seinfeld, Friends, and Dora the explorer I NEVER pick that option. I cant imagine many folks ever select that option either -- since you'd only have to do it once.

The maddening thing is if you accidently click "select" when it is on this option it may set you up to record 57 episodes of Friends in the next 10 days. Better catch that mistake or prepare for a lot of Rachael and Monica (which ain't all bad)....

Instead I almost always pick "Once", which is a four button clicks away.

Logic would say that those that select "All Episodes" or "New Episodes" would select that option MUCH LESS frequently than those picking "Once."

Is there any way to make the "Record Single Episode" the default option -- since it is what I pick 90% of the time? I can't believe that DISH didn't figure out in user tests that this option is the most logical default position.

Has anyone figured out a work around to this dilema? Is this hot air and do you like it the way it is, or have you thought the same thing?

Mark "tired finger" Mathis
post #202 of 342 Old 03-25-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello all.

I am new to this satellite thing so bear with me please.

My analog(channels 2-71) cable bill, via the lovely TWC, has just shot past $53/month. I think it has gotten out of control.

Anyway, this brings me to DISH and the DVR advantage they are now offering.

I know they are currently offering a $10/month off for 10 months(I am assumming this requires either a 18 month or 2 year commitment to them), and this ViP622 has me interested, but I am a little lost as too some details.

It seems that the ViP622 can be connected to two different tv's(it would be this way for me. 1 HDTV, and the 2nd TV will be a regular TV), but I am wondering:

1. You can watch 2 separate things on either TV? Also, this would include recorded material? Say one person is watching something they recorded, and the other is watching something else. How is this done without another Box on the other tv?

2. If another box is not needed, how STRONG is that UHF remote? The two tv's in question are on the same floor, separated by walls, and about(overestimating here by the way) 50-60ft apart. Will there be a mjor problem with changing channels on the4 UHF remote? Do I have to "point" towards where the room is to change channels?

3. No HD(only over OTA through the ATSC) through DISH. I will only be subbing to either their Top 100, Top100 PLUS, or their Top 200 only. Again no locals. Their is no RESTRICTION to where I HAVE TOO subscribe to the HD channels to get the DVR is there?

4. This is where I am really lost. Since the ViP622 will be connected to the same LANDLINE phone as the second TV(if that is even connected), I thought I read that they WAIVE the $5.00/month fee on the second TV. Is this true or not? I know that you are charged $6.00/month for the DVR use, but do they charge you the 2nd TV? Also do they charge you a $5.00/month charge for the lease of the ViP622(unless you BUY it)?

I am trying to REALLY reduce costs here(I know, I can just go OTA, which is free, and that will REALLY cut costs).

I am NOT all that interested in their HD offerings right now, but maybe in the future. I want the ViP622 for the DVR/OTA ATSC capability/2 room viewing.

I won't subscribe to the locals(just use the antenna). And how is the ViP622 "strength" in receiving and holding channels via an antenna? I have an LG LST-4200A which has been GREAT at receiving channels at close to 50 miles away with an indoor(amped) RCA antenna. That little unit has been wonderful. Can I expect the same type of results with the ViP622?

I know that will be tought to gauge unless you have both to compare. But just some insight would be nice.

Like I said I am trying CUT DOWN on a $53/month cable bill. I know that does not sound like much, but it seems DISH may be the answer.

Thanx in advance

P.S. I have a 3rd TV that is a regular TV. Is DISH good about waiving that $5.00/month mirroring fee if I bitch enough(and is connected to the same landline based phone)? I really do hate paying for that stupid fee on a 3rd TV. Always hated that you paid a fee beyond the first.

How many people have 1 TV anymore? Not many, I can assure you. At least make it 2 TV's DISH. Most people probably have 3 or more. Oh well
post #203 of 342 Old 03-25-2007, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
1. The 622 can record 3 programs (2 satellite and one OTA) plus both TVs can watch 2 separate previously recorded programs all simultaneously. Or each TV can watch a live program instead of using that tuner for recording.

2. The UHF remote is strong enough to be used anywhere in the house. Mine in on the same floor 3 rooms away.

3. I believe their deal on the 622 requires subscribing th the $20 HD package for 18 months.

4. The phone line is connected to the 622. There is no phone connection to the 2nd TV. There is no $5 charge for the 2nd TV. Only the $6 DVR charge. The way I look at it since I am saving $5 for the second TV the DVR is only costing you $1. If you have a 3rd TV the extra STB charge is $6 if one is a 622 so actually there is an extra $1 charge there.

PS answer. No the will not waive it. It actually goes to $6 as I stated above.

If you decide on the 622 you will enjoy it. I do.

Rick R
post #204 of 342 Old 03-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

I love my 622. The remote works upstairs in my bedroom flawlessly. I have heard stories of neighbors accidentally changing your channel because they are on the same frequency (don't worry these can be changed to correct that if it happens).

I have 2 receivers in my house, 1 VIP622, and another standard def. I have 4 tv's in 4 separate rooms on 4 different remotes. Works great, still trips me out.

Good luck.
post #205 of 342 Old 03-27-2007, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the help, guys!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasels View Post

I use dual mode all the time so I am lost as to question #1.

I know that the new software upgrade (L401 or something like that) was supposed to give the option of only recording events in HD or SD. If that isnt an option yet when you set your dish pass recordings it should soon be. They mentioned the upgrade on the Tech Chat about a month ago.

Mark

Actually, I think I may have meant to say dual mode (I'm at work so I'll have to check when I get home). I'm pretty sure that is the case, though. Do you know if there is a way to select the tuner to record to in this case?

Thanks for the help, Mark.
post #206 of 342 Old 04-05-2007, 11:58 AM

Okay, here we go. Fo the life of me, I cannot figure this out. I have my 622 set to output HDTV in 1080i and 16:9 ratio. My set, Hitachi 57s700 is also set to 16:9 ratio. However, my HD locals and HD sat channels all sho in different aspects. I mean, last night I was watchin Soprano's on A&E HD and it was showing in 4:3. I then went to my WTVF HD sat local and it was in 16:9 but my WSMV HD sat local was in some funky mode where I had black bars on the sides and on the top? I mean it was a smaller box within my 57" screen. Weird. How can get all of my HD channels to show in 16:9 or is that possible? I have tried switching my 622 HDTV output mode to 16:9, 4:3 #1 and 4:3 #2 all without my desired result.

Thanks in advance.

Brent

Brentman
post #207 of 342 Old 04-06-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentman0110 View Post

Okay, here we go. Fo the life of me, I cannot figure this out. I have my 622 set to output HDTV in 1080i and 16:9 ratio. My set, Hitachi 57s700 is also set to 16:9 ratio. However, my HD locals and HD sat channels all sho in different aspects. I mean, last night I was watchin Soprano's on A&E HD and it was showing in 4:3. I then went to my WTVF HD sat local and it was in 16:9 but my WSMV HD sat local was in some funky mode where I had black bars on the sides and on the top? I mean it was a smaller box within my 57" screen. Weird. How can get all of my HD channels to show in 16:9 or is that possible? I have tried switching my 622 HDTV output mode to 16:9, 4:3 #1 and 4:3 #2 all without my desired result.

Thanks in advance.

Brent

You mean besides the fact that A&E was actually showing The Soprano's episode in 4:3 and not 16:9 (which could be seen as the A&EHD bug extended into what is the 4:3 wings area)
post #208 of 342 Old 04-06-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

You mean besides the fact that A&E was actually showing The Soprano's episode in 4:3 and not 16:9 (which could be seen as the A&EHD bug extended into what is the 4:3 wings area)

So, what you are saying is that A&E actually sent the program in 4:3 instead of 16:9? I thought all HD programming was sent in 16:9...

Brentman
post #209 of 342 Old 04-07-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentman0110 View Post

So, what you are saying is that A&E actually sent the program in 4:3 instead of 16:9? I thought all HD programming was sent in 16:9...

Where does it say that 4:3 can't be HD?
post #210 of 342 Old 04-07-2007, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

Where does it say that 4:3 can't be HD?

Good point, never seen it say that anywhere.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page