Dish Network VIP622 Receiver Questions... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 342 Old 09-15-2006, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently got a Dish Network VIP622 receiver with HD programming. I was initially using the receiver via its HDMI connection to my Panasonic XR-57, then to my 32" Sony LCD. I had heard how Dish offers Dolby Digital Encoding with this receiver but via my HDMI input I didn't receive a Dolby signal on my XR57. I then tried hooking the receiver through its component input with optical cable for audio, and then I did receive the Dolby signal on my Panasonic receiver. Several questions I had...

1. Is there any way to receive Dolby sound via HDMI?
2. Could I use HDMI for video and seperate optical cable for audio?
3. For those who have this receiver, how do you get better video quality... HDMI or Component?? (I have tried distinguising between two but it is hard when you can't view two TVs side by side)

I greatly appreciate any input any of you may have. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 342 Old 09-15-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMoneyDollaBillz View Post

I recently got a Dish Network VIP622 receiver with HD programming. I was initially using the receiver via its HDMI connection to my Panasonic XR-57, then to my 32" Sony LCD. I had heard how Dish offers Dolby Digital Encoding with this receiver but via my HDMI input I didn't receive a Dolby signal on my XR57. I then tried hooking the receiver through its component input with optical cable for audio, and then I did receive the Dolby signal on my Panasonic receiver. Several questions I had...

1. Is there any way to receive Dolby sound via HDMI?
3. For those who have this receiver, how do you get better video quality... HDMI or Component?? (I have tried distinguising between two but it is hard when you can't view two TVs side by side)

I greatly appreciate any input any of you may have. Thank you!

Pretty sure HDMI only does 2 channel audio. I have HDMI hooked up to my samsung 42" DLP, and the optical out connected to my Onkyo reciever. The sat remote can run everything, the volume up/down adjusts my receiver volume, ect. Im not sure if there is much of a difference, but why not go with teh HDMI if you already have the cable and it works ok. I have a great picture, and dolby 5.1 in anything that broadcasts it
post #3 of 342 Old 09-15-2006, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I didn't recently specify this but the principal reason why I am asking these questions regarding HDMI and component, is because my Panasonic receiver and Sony LCD only have one HDMI input each, which I have two devices with HDMI outputs --> my VIP 622 DishNetwork receiver and my Philips UpConverting DVD Player. I have been going back and forth on which to use component and which to use with HDMI. What do you guys think my best bet is?
post #4 of 342 Old 09-16-2006, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 126
The HDMI version on that box only supports 2 channel audio. As for HDMI or component for video, if you can't see a difference then it doesn't matter. I think most use the HDMI when they can but a bunch of people have reported the HDMI stopped working after a few months due to bad solder connections inside the box.
post #5 of 342 Old 09-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I don't have Dish and I hope its OK to ask in this thread. But was thinking about subscribing to DISH and was wondering if OTA HD and DISH HD guide on VIP622 & VIP211. are intergraded on same guide. Thanks

Mark
post #6 of 342 Old 09-16-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post

I don't have Dish and I hope its OK to ask in this thread. But was thinking about subscribing to DISH and was wondering if OTA HD and DISH HD guide on VIP622 & VIP211. are intergraded on same guide. Thanks

Mark

Yes, but you HAVE to get the locals from dish to get the guide data. I sat here with the installer and the guide data never showed up, we called in, got the locals, reset the box, and boom there it was. You wont even get guide data for all you OTA channels, just the main ones(abc,cbs,nbc,fox,pbs(maybe),ect. Your OTA channels will show up as the color orange in the guide, so they are easy to spot.
post #7 of 342 Old 09-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, this is how i have mine hooked up intill i get a receiver with hdmi switching.

Quote:

For my setup(622 to ae-900u pj/sampo plasma) I get a noticable difference with the hdmi input. I am running a 50 ft blue jeans hdmi cable to the ae-900u and the picture is brighter/sharper than the component.
post #8 of 342 Old 09-17-2006, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude919 View Post

Yes, but you HAVE to get the locals from dish to get the guide data. I sat here with the installer and the guide data never showed up, we called in, got the locals, reset the box, and boom there it was. You wont even get guide data for all you OTA channels, just the main ones(abc,cbs,nbc,fox,pbs(maybe),ect. Your OTA channels will show up as the color orange in the guide, so they are easy to spot.

Thanks cooldude.

Mark
post #9 of 342 Old 09-26-2006, 09:43 AM

Gater- I'm using a Pioneer 84txsi, which has 4 hdmi inputs and 1 output. If I were to want to use hdmi for video and optical for audio, would I have to run hdmi directly to my plasma and the optical to the receiver? It doesn't seem like it would work if I ran both to the receiver.
post #10 of 342 Old 09-26-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedok View Post

Gater- I'm using a Pioneer 84txsi, which has 4 hdmi inputs and 1 output. If I were to want to use hdmi for video and optical for audio, would I have to run hdmi directly to my plasma and the optical to the receiver? It doesn't seem like it would work if I ran both to the receiver.

Run hdmi from your 622 to your pioneer hdmi INPUT. Run optical from your 622 to your pioneer optical INPUT. Run hdmi from your pionner OUTPUT to your tv. This will work. Since my reciever has no HDMI, i just have the hdmi hooked directly to my TV, and optical to the reciever. Either way will work.
post #11 of 342 Old 09-27-2006, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the input cooldude. I haven't had a chance to try this yet but here is my question and concern. First, if I do run both my hdmi and optical cables from my 622 to my receiver, what to I set the input to on the receiver? I think you can only set it to one input (for example, dvd, cd, hdmi 2, cable/sat, etc). So if I set the receiver to hdmi, then I wouldn't get the sound from the optical cable. Second, I'm not sure I follow you regarding running an optical cable from the receiver output to the hdmi input.
post #12 of 342 Old 09-27-2006, 01:13 AM

Quote:

Pretty sure HDMI only does 2 channel audio. I have HDMI hooked up to my samsung 42" DLP, and the optical out connected to my Onkyo reciever. The sat remote can run everything, the volume up/down adjusts my receiver volume, ect. Im not sure if there is much of a difference, but why not go with teh HDMI if you already have the cable and it works ok. I have a great picture, and dolby 5.1 in anything that broadcasts it

HDMI has the bandwidth to do about anything you throw at it. The limitation isn't with HDMI.
post #13 of 342 Old 09-27-2006, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedok View Post

Thanks for the input cooldude. I haven't had a chance to try this yet but here is my question and concern. First, if I do run both my hdmi and optical cables from my 622 to my receiver, what to I set the input to on the receiver? I think you can only set it to one input (for example, dvd, cd, hdmi 2, cable/sat, etc). So if I set the receiver to hdmi, then I wouldn't get the sound from the optical cable. Second, I'm not sure I follow you regarding running an optical cable from the receiver output to the hdmi input.

sorry, ignore that last part(edited and took it out), i got a little carried away lol. I would think you can set it up to work that way with your receiver. Given mine is a little easier since i have no HDMI to mess with, but i can select optical or coax for any intput(v1,v2,svid,ect), so surely yours can do something along the same lines. Or if you dont want to mess with video switching(not sure how many other A/V devices you have) then just hook the 622 hdmi directly up to your tv, and the optical to your pionner, and disable tv speakers, and you should be set.
post #14 of 342 Old 09-27-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:

sorry, ignore that last part(edited and took it out), i got a little carried away lol. I would think you can set it up to work that way with your receiver. Given mine is a little easier since i have no HDMI to mess with, but i can select optical or coax for any intput(v1,v2,svid,ect), so surely yours can do something along the same lines. Or if you dont want to mess with video switching(not sure how many other A/V devices you have) then just hook the 622 hdmi directly up to your tv, and the optical to your pionner, and disable tv speakers, and you should be set.

Got it. I'll try both. I just can't belive DishNetwork didn't implement 5.1 thru the hdmi. It defeats one of the purposes of this great technology. Hopefully this will change when their next box comes out.
post #15 of 342 Old 10-01-2006, 08:33 PM

Heys guys, I've been searching for some help. An this looks like the place to get it. I recently bought an Onkyo TX-SR604 receiver (2 in HDMI in, 1 HDMI out). I also have a progressive scan Sony dvd with HDMI, and a Sony KV-27HS420 (2 HDMI inputs). I also have Dish Network with the VIP622.

I'm not sure how to set it all up. I figured it would be dvd HDMI and VIP622 HDMI to the receiver, the HDMI out of the receiver to the tv. But I'm not sure if this is the way to do it.

I have the dvd working, with sound and picture. No extra RCA cables attached. But for the VIP622, I'm not really sure it's working. Does HDMI take care of everything or do I still need YPPLR cables in there somewhere? I wonder because I had no video of the receiver menu when it was in this configuration and I was playing the dvd.

From reading the posts here, it almost sounds that people are taking the HDMI from the VIP622 to their tv and then taking the audio out to the receiver. IS this the best way?

All help is appreciated!
post #16 of 342 Old 10-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From reading the posts here, it almost sounds that people are taking the HDMI from the VIP622 to their tv and then taking the audio out to the receiver. IS this the best way?

That is how i have mine hooked up. Hdmi from the 622 to the tv, then bitstream(toslink) from the 622 to the receiver. The 622 passes component and hdmi signals simultaneously, so you'll just have to set the tv to the hdmi input. There have been reports that the hdmi connection on the 622 can be buggy.
post #17 of 342 Old 10-02-2006, 12:33 PM

Is this receiver required to plug in telephone line? since my TV is about 40 feet from my telephone jack. Their rep told me that the DVR needs to plug in the telephone jack. I told him that I don't want to have telephone line running inside the house,then he said that I can get a wireless transmiter for another $40. So I don't know if this sounds right or not. I don't want to pay any more money if it's not really necessary.
post #18 of 342 Old 10-02-2006, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1214 View Post

Is this receiver required to plug in telephone line? since my TV is about 40 feet from my telephone jack. Their rep told me that the DVR needs to plug in the telephone jack. I told him that I don't want to have telephone line running inside the house,then he said that I can get a wireless transmiter for another $40. So I don't know if this sounds right or not. I don't want to pay any more money if it's not really necessary.

I use one of those and it works fine.

But, to be honest, I've never seen them priced quite that low. They usually average about 60 or 70 bucks. Maybe there are places online that have them cheaper.
post #19 of 342 Old 10-02-2006, 02:02 PM

But I thought using telephone line only for ordering PPV stuffs.I've never ordered PPV and don't plan to.that's why I think it's ridiculous for me to pay more money on something that I'll never use. oh! and he said if I don't want to, then I have to pay $5.00 extra per month. that is something.
post #20 of 342 Old 10-02-2006, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Well, I do know that my tuner is set to call out at 6:00 am every day, and my phone bill reflects this.

So it's for more than that. As I understand it, it's to keep track of what you've been watching for their marketing purposes. (Probably selling that info to the Federal Government too, as part of the "data mining" they shell out millions for, to the companies that specialize in gathering that kind of info.)
post #21 of 342 Old 10-02-2006, 08:05 PM

Has anyone figured out a way to default a DVR timer to "record once" instead of the default setting (record all episodes).

Its a pain in the can if you forget to adjust it with each recording. If you've found the trick please share.

Mark
post #22 of 342 Old 10-02-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1214 View Post

But I thought using telephone line only for ordering PPV stuffs.I've never ordered PPV and don't plan to.that's why I think it's ridiculous for me to pay more money on something that I'll never use. oh! and he said if I don't want to, then I have to pay $5.00 extra per month. that is something.

I was told the same thing.. either pay the $5 a month or hook it to my phone line. Lucklily I had a phone line wired right in where the VIP622 sits. For $5 a month they are welcome to study my viewing habits!

Mark
post #23 of 342 Old 10-02-2006, 08:14 PM

Hey,

I'm new here and think the VIP622 is a great product. Great HDTV, great interface, massive hard drive, three tuners, good job with OTA integration, etc. I couldn't ask for a whole lot more. Seems like by and large this is a very overlooked product and its nice to see it has its own place on the AVS forums.

I'm getting my antenna moved from my attic to my roof on Friday to pull in even more HDTV locals. Anyone else using an antenna for locals?

Anyone else spring for a pocket dish yet? I got one for $80 after rebate on ebay. With the 622 and the included USB cable you can download 20 hours of SD programming to it in an hour. Great on a plane!

Mark "622 for me" Mathis
post #24 of 342 Old 10-03-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATER View Post

That is how i have mine hooked up. Hdmi from the 622 to the tv, then bitstream(toslink) from the 622 to the receiver. The 622 passes component and hdmi signals simultaneously, so you'll just have to set the tv to the hdmi input. There have been reports that the hdmi connection on the 622 can be buggy.

Ok, that's what I did but I'm having a mental block this manual sucks. Can you tell me exactly how you have it?

I have HDMI from 622 to my TV.
I have HDMI from my dvd to my Onkyo, then Onkyo up to the TV HDMI. (I have this working)
I then bought a toslink and put it from the 622 to the Onkyo.

Now here's where I need the clarification. The toslink is independent from the VIDEO1,2,&3,4, so how do I set up the receiver to here my Bose? Do I need to put a video cable from the Onkyo to my TV? A Video cable from the 622 to the Onkyo? Do I need to put a video cable from the receiver to the TV anyway to see the Onkyo menu on my TV?

For the TV to play through the receiver, it should be on what? V1,V2,V3,V4 or Tuner?

I figured out earlier how to turn off my tv speakers but in this configuration, if I do that, I get no sound because I don't have a about 2 steps right. Can you help Gater? Thanks!
post #25 of 342 Old 10-03-2006, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasels View Post

Hey,

I'm getting my antenna moved from my attic to my roof on Friday to pull in even more HDTV locals. Anyone else using an antenna for locals?

A lot of people using antenna for OTA HD locals. In my area (Portland) I receive the locals from Dish, but still keep my antenna to get some HD locals not available from the bird like PBS and CW and also, just because the PQ is better.

Walter
post #26 of 342 Old 10-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Now here's where I need the clarification. The toslink is independent from the VIDEO1,2,&3,4, so how do I set up the receiver to here my Bose?

Ok, try this. The toslink that goes from the 622 will go to the back of the receiver into the "opt in1" located right below the orange coax inputs. Now i'm not to familiar with your receiver but like my H/K, you'll have to select for example; "video 1" and assign it "optical 1" as its input source. As far as assigning input sources you'll have to check the manual for that.

Quote:

Do I need to put a video cable from the receiver to the TV anyway to see the Onkyo menu on my TV?

You can use the s-video or yellow video cable to see the receivers menu on your tv. Those inputs are located on the back of the receiver in the middle labled "monitor out".

Quote:

For the TV to play through the receiver, it should be on what? V1,V2,V3,V4 or Tuner?

See the first question.

Let us know if you still need help, and i can look through your receivers manual for specifics.
post #27 of 342 Old 10-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

I just realized you have hdmi switching capabilities.
Quote:

I have HDMI from 622 to my TV.
I have HDMI from my dvd to my Onkyo, then Onkyo up to the TV HDMI. (I have this working)
I then bought a toslink and put it from the 622 to the Onkyo.

You could also connect the hdmi from the 622 to the Onkyos hdmi input. I assume you have the dvd players hdmi connected to one of the Onkyos hdmi inputs and the Onkyos hdmi output to the tv. The other hdmi input "in" from the receiver would go to the 622.
Are you confused yet?

Summerize:
1. 622 hdmi to Onkyo hdmi "in"
2. dvd player hdmi to Onkyo hdmi "in"
3. Onkyo hdmi "out" to tv hdmi "in"
Now you should get sound from your speakers by selecting one of the two inputs on the receivers hdmi; dvd or 622
post #28 of 342 Old 10-04-2006, 08:11 AM

First time poster...

I just had a Pioneer 84TXS and a Bell ExpressVu 9200 (same as Dish 921?) installed last week. The dish came with a HDMI - DVI connector that the installer swapped for a HDMI - HDMI. I haven't been able to receive digital sound from the satellite even after I installed an optical cable between the 84 receiver and satellite box. THe inputs are properly set on the 84.

I am wondering if the 84 is being "tricked" into believing the audio comes from the HDMI because the cable is HDMI - HDMI instead of HDMI - DVI. Make sense? I want to swap the cables back to test my theory, but the cabinet is a pain to get into and I am wanting to be sure.

Thoughts?
post #29 of 342 Old 10-04-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATER View Post

I just realized you have hdmi switching capabilities.

Summerize:
1. 622 hdmi to Onkyo hdmi "in"
2. dvd player hdmi to Onkyo hdmi "in"
3. Onkyo hdmi "out" to tv hdmi "in"
Now you should get sound from your speakers by selecting one of the two inputs on the receivers hdmi; dvd or 622

You know what, I got it! I had called up Onkyo and was waiting for a Tech guy and I figured it out from your posts. I'm keeping it the way it is, with the optical. I've read that the HDMI direct from TV to 622 is better than going through a receiver. And I like the fact that in this config my speakers on the TV still work, instead of switching them off and using variable when I plug into the Onkyo. I also can keep it down when the wife is sleeping. Thanks for the help. I got it because of you and those cool forum!
post #30 of 342 Old 10-04-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasels View Post

Anyone else spring for a pocket dish yet? I got one for $80 after rebate on ebay. With the 622 and the included USB cable you can download 20 hours of SD programming to it in an hour. Great on a plane!

Mark "622 for me" Mathis

I also had the antenna installed on my roof when I had the Dish installed. But there is limits with this system that I don't like concerning the DVR. I want to see if eveyone else has the same problems....

1. When I DVR my local channels in HD through my antenna, I can't switch the channel to another local HD channel without it asking me cancel the recording because I'm changing the channnel. Now I can go to a Dish channel and watch it, but not another local. Why?

2. That brings up my second point. If I want watch NCIS and House at the same time, of course I have to DVR one. But since I can't dvr one in HD and watch the other in HD, I'm stuck DVRing one off the Dish local channels not in HD while I watch the other off my antenna in HD. It really sucks and ticks me off. Anyone figure a way around this?

3. While DVRing on a dish channel, or an antenna channel, the recall button never works properly. Say I'm DVRing CSI and I want to catch the game score on ESPN, when I try to recall back t CSI it instead throws me to PIP channel associated with the ESPN channel. If I want to got back to CSI, I need to scan through the guide and reselect it.

Anyone have similiar problems and or figure out a fix? I'd love to be able to DVR a local HD channel and watch a local HD channel at the same time.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page