Samsung DTB-H260F ATSC tuner - Page 114 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3391 of 3649 Old 04-10-2009, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes I do get the local HD channels. Kinda sucks that I will not get more channels in the future. It would of been nice to watch them down in my theater room without having to rent another box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3649 Old 04-10-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
If you want to watch any analog channels you might be getting while using the Samsung with a tunerless display or projector, hook up an old VCR with an NTSC tuner in-between the Sammy and the display/projector, and use the Samsung's RF pass-through.

Otherwise, if your TV already has an NTSC tuner, then just use that with the pass-through and skip the VCR.
post #3393 of 3649 Old 04-20-2009, 11:19 AM

While I'm waiting for my Samsung to arrive I was wondering. Is there a way I can connect an OTA antenna and also cable (for clear QAM) to the Samsung? It only has one Cable/Antenna input. Or is it one or the other only?
post #3394 of 3649 Old 04-20-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousse View Post

While I'm waiting for my Samsung to arrive I was wondering. Is there a way I can connect an OTA antenna and also cable (for clear QAM) to the Samsung? It only has one Cable/Antenna input. Or is it one or the other only?

Yes, but you need a coax A/B switch so the signals do not interfere with each other. A simple splitter will not do.

Like this A/B:
http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-.../dp/B0002ZPIQ4

Or this A/B:
http://www.amazon.com/HIGH-ISOLATION...5GZ25DQH1CBTR8

Or this A/B (this is the one I use):
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-VH74-Delux.../dp/B00009W3F3
post #3395 of 3649 Old 04-27-2009, 06:08 AM

There may be no agreement for TW to rebroadcast that station over their lines or something. It doesn't mean they're intentionally blocking it from you.
post #3396 of 3649 Old 04-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Can anyone confirm that the resolution switch on the back of the unit actually controls the format for HDMI output as well as component? The manual seems to state its only used for the YPbPr output. I'd check myself but I just disconnected this to install a new HD Tivo in its place and hooking it back up now would be a major PIA.

The reason I ask is because I experienced an HDMI problem resulting in no picture (analog "snow" actually if you'd believe it!) when switching channels with the HD Tivo that the 260 didn't exhibit. If the 260 really does use "native" over the HDMI regardless of the switch setting, I want to contact Tivo and let them know they have a HDMI negotiation bug.

Come to think of it, pretty sure I noticed on my RS1x's INFO screen at some point that the input format was 720p when tuned to FOX or ABC, but would still be nice if someone with a display which indicates the format could verify the HDMI output operates in native mode regardless of the switch setting.
post #3397 of 3649 Old 04-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post

Can anyone confirm that the resolution switch on the back of the unit actually controls the format for HDMI output as well as component? The manual seems to state its only used for the YPbPr output. I'd check myself but I just disconnected this to install a new HD Tivo in its place and hooking it back up now would be a major PIA.

The reason I ask is because I experienced an HDMI problem resulting in no picture (analog "snow" actually if you'd believe it!) when switching channels with the HD Tivo that the 260 didn't exhibit. If the 260 really does use "native" over the HDMI regardless of the switch setting, I want to contact Tivo and let them know they have a HDMI negotiation bug.

Come to think of it, pretty sure I noticed on my RS1x's INFO screen at some point that the input format was 720p when tuned to FOX or ABC, but would still be nice if someone with a display which indicates the format could verify the HDMI output operates in native mode.

HDMI is converted to whatever you choose with the selector.
post #3398 of 3649 Old 04-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, that makes sense. Maybe I was playing around with the output format on my BD or upconverting DVD player and that's where I recalled seeing the 720p indicated on my RS1x.
post #3399 of 3649 Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 PM

Is Ebay the only place to get this unit?

Any alternatives to this HDTV tuner?
post #3400 of 3649 Old 05-05-2009, 04:44 PM

Can someone recommend a good indoor antenna to go with the Samsung DTB-H260F.
Thanks.
post #3401 of 3649 Old 05-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post

They are getting scarce, I only saw one used one on Amazon for $149.

Am alternative might be a Dish DTVPal DVR. Two tuners plus it records HD onto a hard drive, much like a Dish satellite service DVR. It costs $250 though.

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #3402 of 3649 Old 05-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reye View Post

Can someone recommend a good indoor antenna to go with the Samsung DTB-H260F.
Thanks.

reye - Antenna advice is better when it can be based on the geographical location rather than the box it's attached to. Any antenna will bring a signal into the DTB-H260F, even a paper clip can work in some instances.

For better antenna advice, try your local thread and ask people who live close to you. Or, try a site like tvfool.com or antennaweb to see what type of antenna you may need for your address.

post #3403 of 3649 Old 05-05-2009, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

See the Official AVS HDTV STB Synopsis, a sticky post at the top of this forum. Check out the units listed in the first section. Some of them have their own threads in this forum.
post #3404 of 3649 Old 05-05-2009, 11:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Check the Centronics website for the ZAT502 HD - very reasonably-priced model which is brand new, so it's likely to have the most recent generation chip (although I think it's back-ordered right now).

I think everything else out their listed in the STB sticky is probably considerably older by now. I think the only things newer than the DTB-H260F might be the DTV Pal DVR, the TiVoHD and TiVoHD XL, but I could be wrong about that.
post #3405 of 3649 Old 05-06-2009, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the information. The Centronics product is on back order.

I think the DTVpal DVR is interesting. is that available from a Dish network retailer directly (without subscribing to their service)? That way I could record the PBS kids shows.
post #3406 of 3649 Old 05-06-2009, 12:06 PM

I called the local retailers about the DTV Pal DVR and it's not available. On the website (dtvpal.com) it says "prefer order yours now" - does that mean it's available? I called the customer service # but the persons there aren't much help.
post #3407 of 3649 Old 05-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I called the local retailers about the DTV Pal DVR and it's not available. On the website (dtvpal.com) it says "prefer order yours now" - does that mean it's available? I called the customer service # but the persons there aren't much help.

Ask here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1099071

post #3408 of 3649 Old 05-07-2009, 11:46 AM

How much better / different is the samsung 260 vs the older model SIR-T451

I have been offered a used SIR-T451 and wonder if I should buy it
or keep looking for a 260
or get a new cheaper model like a Kworld or ZET-502 or 140 DCT by coby

I just need a good OTA box for a sony CRT HD and donot use cable
post #3409 of 3649 Old 05-07-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Depends on how well you get the stations you want. If you want any "fringe" stations, I'd say go with something newer.

But if your stations are all within, say 40 miles, and you don't have any severe multipath problems, I don't see why the SIR-T451 wouldn't suffice. Its a 4th generation tuner, while the H260F is a 5th.

I would just say that if the price difference isn't that great, then I'd probably go with the newer models.

The ZAT502, though, is new, and more likely to have a newer, 6th gen. chip than any of those others, which I wouldn't think would have any newer than a 5th, because they've all been out awhile. But I'm not 100% sure of any of that, really.
post #3410 of 3649 Old 05-11-2009, 12:08 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post

TWC CSR's are known to be goofy and seldom understand their own systems. Try asking that same CSR about QAM ch's.

This may be accurate info, but I'm highly skeptical of it for two reasons:
1. I believe all cable co's are federally mandated to carry basic ch's in analog till 2012? 2014? Something like that.
2. If they do go "all digital" then they must provide cable box's (converters) for any/all customers on any/all analog TV's in their home free of charge.

I hope you received accurate info, but I wouldn't count on it.

#1. is true for MSOs that keep any Analog; IOW, they don't go all-Digital. The date you are thinking of is 17 Feb. '12, probably changed to 12 June '12.
#2. is true except the boxes don't have to be free. However, free or fee is just an accounting game, as to whether they itemize the boxes or not, they still cost the customer $.
post #3411 of 3649 Old 05-15-2009, 09:45 AM

Forgive me if this has been covered but I could not find the answer via searching...

Will the HDMI port send the digital audio to my Denon receiver or will I need to connect an additional digital cable from this box to my a/v receiver AS WELL AS an HDMI cable for the video?
post #3412 of 3649 Old 05-15-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Most TVs (all TVs ?) do not pass through the DD, so you will probably need a TOSLINK cable to go from the Samsung to your A/V receiver. It maybe possible that your A/V receiver has an HDMI port and it can extract the audio and relay the video to your TV.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #3413 of 3649 Old 05-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC480 View Post

Forgive me if this has been covered but I could not find the answer via searching...

Will the HDMI port send the digital audio to my Denon receiver or will I need to connect an additional digital cable from this box to my a/v receiver AS WELL AS an HDMI cable for the video?

This tuner will send audio and video through the HDMI output.
post #3414 of 3649 Old 05-31-2009, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello I've searched this entire thread and gave a quick look at the manual for this machine and it seems to have timers that rely on a guide? Am I correct in this or is there a manual type of timer that you can use to change the channel at a specific day+time...
I'm searching for a QAM capable STB to replace my Zinwell ZAT790 CECB since signals in my area aren't decent and mostly unreliable... my cable system went all digital recently and don't want to rent yet another of their boxes for a spare bedroom & I'm not sure if there would be any guide data coming thru the cable QAM signals...
Danka
post #3415 of 3649 Old 05-31-2009, 03:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Only timer I've seen is with guide. So much is dependent on the stations sending it out timely and correctly.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #3416 of 3649 Old 05-31-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Only timer I've seen is with guide. So much is dependent on the stations sending it out timely and correctly.

That sucks... but i may have discounted this machine anyway: from what I've been reading the aspect ratio cannot be controlled on the composite/Svideo side [and no menu's on those either] and since I would connect this to a olde DVR [& a DVD recorder]with composite inputs for recording thats going to be problem recording 16:9 that need to be diplayed 4:3 letterbox... The TV is an old behemoth HDTV ready CRT and does have component inputs

I think I will never find the box i need or one that needs me... LOL
post #3417 of 3649 Old 05-31-2009, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

Hello I've searched this entire thread and gave a quick look at the manual for this machine and it seems to have timers that rely on a guide? Am I correct in this or is there a manual type of timer that you can use to change the channel at a specific day+time...
I'm searching for a QAM capable STB to replace my Zinwell ZAT790 CECB since signals in my area aren't decent and mostly unreliable... my cable system went all digital recently and don't want to rent yet another of their boxes for a spare bedroom & I'm not sure if there would be any guide data coming thru the cable QAM signals...
Danka

I only use OTA on this box and yes it is guide dependent to set the timer. But I'd guess even if you scrolled to "no program data" for a particular ch and time via the menu guide it would still switch to that ch at that time as requested.

If the H260f gets any guide data via QAM (and I dunno if it does) it might still be usable for your purpose but you would have to know what ch and time from another source to set the timer in QAM as you will only get "no program data" for all QAM ch's.

Maybe some QAM users can confirm if there is any guide present via QAM.
post #3418 of 3649 Old 05-31-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Well - even if you can live with the aspect issues - keep in mind that this Samsung can only do CLEAR QAM (i.e. - channels that are not encrypted by the cable company) - which are generally confined to your local broadcasters. And even then, cable companies are known to mix up their clear QAM channels so you have to rescan for channels every so often.

Probably you'll be forced to use the cable company's STB, whether you want to or not.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #3419 of 3649 Old 06-01-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

Well - even if you can live with the aspect issues - keep in mind that this Samsung can only do CLEAR QAM (i.e. - channels that are not encrypted by the cable company) - which are generally confined to your local broadcasters. And even then, cable companies are known to mix up their clear QAM channels so you have to rescan for channels every so often.

Probably you'll be forced to use the cable company's STB, whether you want to or not.

Yes most people know when they state QAM it is the Clear portion that is inferred...
And no, I don't have to be forced into using the cable company's box, when there are other options out there....
post #3420 of 3649 Old 06-13-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This receiver worked fine for me until yesterday. Now there are several channels that it will not pull in. My D*OTA receivers pull these stations in fine.

What other options do I have?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page