Samsung DTB-H260F ATSC tuner - Page 116 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #3451 of 3657 Old 09-29-2009, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 270
When I had my 260f I had the HDMI hooked to my TV and the L&R audio hooked to my DVDR along with S-video. IOW L&R should always be active.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3657 Old 09-30-2009, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitweasel View Post

Hi guys - quick question about this box.

I just picked one up on Craigslist for cheap, and didn't really pay attention to the fact that it only has Component and HDMI outputs for HD. The monitor that I'm hooking it up to only has a free VGA port, so I've ordered an HDMI to VGA cable get the video up and running. However, is the box now going to think that the audio should be coming from the HDMI port as well, and bypass the LR output? I'm planning on using those to hook this into my receiver; is that going to be a huge pain in the ass, or is the LR audio always enabled?

HDMI to VGA? How's that going to work?
post #3453 of 3657 Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarlsen View Post

I'll let you know when the cable comes...hopefully early next week.

post #3454 of 3657 Old 09-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...ingid=44807698

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #3455 of 3657 Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have my DTB-H260F ATSC tuner hooked up to my plasma HDTV with a component to VGA cable and it works great. I bought my Samsung 10 months ago and I'm loving it. It saves me over a $1,000 a year in cable fees. I watch football in HD OTA all weekend for free.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #3456 of 3657 Old 10-01-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Much more common to go from component to VGA. It's pretty rare to have a TV that accepts a digital signal over VGA. Maybe this is being displayed on a computer monitor?
post #3457 of 3657 Old 10-01-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Much more common to go from component to VGA. It's pretty rare to have a TV that accepts a digital signal over VGA. Maybe this is being displayed on a computer monitor?

That is the case - I'm running this box into my computer monitor, which has VGA and DVI inputs (the DVI being used for the computer itself). Here's hoping it works!
post #3458 of 3657 Old 10-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Some old big flat screens lacked HDMI, but had VGA inputs.
Also, I can definitely see how this cable could be used to "repurpose" an old CRT computer monitor, for a garage or something.

post #3459 of 3657 Old 10-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is the case - I'm running this box into my computer monitor, which has VGA and DVI inputs (the DVI being used for the computer itself). Here's hoping it works!

Let us know how it turns out.

post #3460 of 3657 Old 10-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Before i read through the thread i wanted to mention what my DTB-H260F is doing and see if anyone else has had this problem.

I like the DTB-H260F and the tv guide and always wanted 1080. One day i noticed when doing a scan, no channels found. When my surge protector reset itself one day, i noticed it scanned and found channels. Last night i was enjoying the tv and ota channels(i have cable also) and decided i would do a scan towards Nashville and Evansville. I found no channels again. So i pointed back up north where i get stuff at full 10 bars. Nothing found.

It is almost 1 year since i bought it. I can go and unplug it from the surge protector and line conditioner and see if it goes again but that will get old. Has anyone else had a problem like this and was it any cure? This doesn't always happen, just ever now but when it does, i never know when it will come back on and work.
post #3461 of 3657 Old 10-05-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris_tn View Post

Before i read through the thread i wanted to mention what my DTB-H260F is doing and see if anyone else has had this problem.

I like the DTB-H260F and the tv guide and always wanted 1080. One day i noticed when doing a scan, no channels found. When my surge protector reset itself one day, i noticed it scanned and found channels. Last night i was enjoying the tv and ota channels(i have cable also) and decided i would do a scan towards Nashville and Evansville. I found no channels again. So i pointed back up north where i get stuff at full 10 bars. Nothing found.

It is almost 1 year since i bought it. I can go and unplug it from the surge protector and line conditioner and see if it goes again but that will get old. Has anyone else had a problem like this and was it any cure? This doesn't always happen, just ever now but when it does, i never know when it will come back on and work.

You don't need to rescan every time you move your antenna. A better way to do this would be to scan with the antenna in the first position, then move the antenna and manually add the channels you expect to get (use the actual RF channels, not the virtual channels).
post #3462 of 3657 Old 10-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You don't need to rescan every time you move your antenna. A better way to do this would be to scan with the antenna in the first position, then move the antenna and manually add the channels you expect to get (use the actual RF channels, not the virtual channels).

Thanks, i will do this. I had thought of that and will do this. I have it unplugged now and hopefully that will help. I will see if it will lock in the channels when i plug it back in and i will start doing as you said and jot down the ch numbers down when i go in another direction and manually put them in. I just hope it works after i leave it unplugged a lil while and maybe it will.
post #3463 of 3657 Old 10-05-2009, 11:11 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

It is almost 1 year since I bought it.

Many people report they start having one kind of problem or another at right about the one year point with the H260F. I did too, and haven't really used mine since.

The guide looks nice, but the box is apparently pretty cheaply-made.
post #3464 of 3657 Old 10-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Many people report they start having one kind of problem or another at right about the one year point with the H260F. I did too, and haven't really used mine since.

The guide looks nice, but the box is apparently pretty cheaply-made.

It is right at a year for me. How long does the waranty run on these things? I bought mine from one call. I left mine off for 24 hours. I unplugged it while the power was on. Just trying to break connection or do anything. Now i just hooked it back up and it shows 0 channels. Now i might ch scan again tonight or a week from now and it works. When it fouls up is when i do another channel scan at times. Then nothing locks in or i can not manually put them in. I think it is the tuner itself but i thought, i can try another hdmi cable.

When CC was closing out, i saw these things 40 something dollars and did not dream i should pick another up. Now you look on ebay and these things are high. I will either need to get this one working and i can do like someone said and when it does lock in a scan, i can manaully put in other channels but who knows even then if it will stay working and on.

Is it any other tuner with 1080i that comes close to this tuner? Even if the tv guide wasn't good like this one, i can deal with that but need one to rely on. My plasma has no tuner built in.
post #3465 of 3657 Old 10-07-2009, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Had mine for 2 1/2 years with no problem. I usually leave it running 24/7. At times it goes stupid (no signal) and I have to turn it off and restart it, then it is working again. Seems to run very hot, so make sure you aren't blocking air flow.

scott s.

Sony XBR-65A1E
post #3466 of 3657 Old 10-07-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Is it any other tuner with 1080i that comes close to this tuner? Even if the tv guide wasn't good like this one, i can deal with that but need one to rely on. My plasma has no tuner built in.

Unfortunately the market for such tuners is so small and so niche that there are very few makes & models to choose from.
A small enough market that (I think) Samsung never even replaced the H260f after discontinuing it.
post #3467 of 3657 Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

I did more testing today. It seems the problem is not in the Sammy tuner. I changed hdmi cables, unhooked the power, cables, made sure everything was hooked in good and snug. So i decided to plug in my charter cable and scan. When i did the channels was rolling in and it had picked up 196 ch's and was only half way through. I stopped the search.

So i looked and the ch's came in great with the Sammy tuner and Charter cable. I then unhooked and went back to the Charter box. So i think i have probs with either my Channel Master 7777 preamp or my antenna system. I have to have my preamp to pick up stations. So i wish i had another preamp to rule that out, so more trouble shooting.

I do not think it is in my tuner. I'll find out soon.
post #3468 of 3657 Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

When i changed the cables and did the test ota, it did not pick up any channels on the uhf antennas. I meant to say and only the cable tv. That did show me the tuner was working.
post #3469 of 3657 Old 10-07-2009, 09:47 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Is it any other tuner with 1080i that comes close to this tuner?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=179095

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3470 of 3657 Old 10-08-2009, 02:23 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

At times it goes stupid (no signal) and I have to turn it off and restart it, then it is working again.

Hmmmm. You might not consider that a "problem", but I have a feeling that some others might.
post #3471 of 3657 Old 10-08-2009, 01:42 PM

Well, it probably happens once every 3-4 months. I consider that acceptable. Better than Windows anyway. More of a problem for me is if you try to change through channels really fast I can get the same behavior -- it starts showing "no signal" and needs a reboot. Also, for me the guide takes what seems like a long time to populate, and until an entire page of the guide is populated you're kind of locked from inputting commands from the remote.

I bought this as a replacement for a SIR T-351, so maybe having that as my performance baseline colored my opinion.

scott s.

Sony XBR-65A1E
post #3472 of 3657 Old 10-13-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Turns out it doesn't work. I feel like I got scammed here...what a piece of **** cable.

This leads me to my next question: will a component to VGA cable work? I don't want to get burned again...thanks!
post #3473 of 3657 Old 10-13-2009, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Turns out it doesn't work. I feel like I got scammed here...what a piece of **** cable.

This leads me to my next question: will a component to VGA cable work? I don't want to get burned again...thanks!

Component to VGA (meaning a cable that has 3 RCA plugs on one end and a HD-15 on the other) works ONLY if your computer monitor accepts a Component video signal. Chances are it won't: the only devices I've seen that accepted a component signal on the VGA interface are older projectors and commercial monitors from NEC and Panasonic. Just because two Plugs are compatible with each others (you are are in the process of learning this) does NOT mean that the Signals sent over those interfaces are compatible.
post #3474 of 3657 Old 10-13-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petern View Post

Component to VGA (meaning a cable that has 3 RCA plugs on one end and a HD-15 on the other) works ONLY if your computer monitor accepts a Component video signal. Chances are it won't: the only devices I've seen that accepted a component signal on the VGA interface are older projectors and commercial monitors from NEC and Panasonic. Just because two Plugs are compatible with each others (you are are in the process of learning this) does NOT mean that the Signals sent over those interfaces are compatible.

Well crap...you're right, this is certainly a learning experience. Looks like it's time to sell the monitor and pick one up with a better input set than just single VGA and DVI connections.

Now, here's the thing that does confuse me though: this (or, one like it) is what I purchased: http://www.buy.com/prod/dekcell-hdmi...211191747.html The description starts "This HDMI to VGA HD15 (Male) connects your HDMI-equipped device, HDTV (NOT FROM COMPUTER OR LAPTOP) to your monitor." The recommended uses then specifically includes "HDTV receivers". So, it sure seems to me that HDMI to VGA should work, in this case, in the first place.

That said, I don't want to screw around with it any more than I already have...and a new monitor would be nice, anyway.
post #3475 of 3657 Old 10-13-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Now - you CAN use an HDMI - DVI cable from the Samsung to a DIGITAL DVI display - those signals are the same - just arrainged different - I've done this several times with some Samsung LCD computer monitors.

Most other cables though - you need to look at www.svideo.com for various convertors.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #3476 of 3657 Old 10-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Well crap...you're right, this is certainly a learning experience. Looks like it's time to sell the monitor and pick one up with a better input set than just single VGA and DVI connections.

Now, here's the thing that does confuse me though: this (or, one like it) is what I purchased: http://www.buy.com/prod/dekcell-hdmi...211191747.html The description starts "This HDMI to VGA HD15 (Male) connects your HDMI-equipped device, HDTV (NOT FROM COMPUTER OR LAPTOP) to your monitor." The recommended uses then specifically includes "HDTV receivers". So, it sure seems to me that HDMI to VGA should work, in this case, in the first place.

That said, I don't want to screw around with it any more than I already have...and a new monitor would be nice, anyway.

HDMI to VGA needs something in the middle to do the conversion from the digital HDMI to the analog VGA since the TV is looking for an analog source via VGA it doesn't know what to do with a digital signal. If you use a HDMI to DVI your sticking with digital the whole way so that works because the TV is expecting a digital input and know what to do with it.
post #3477 of 3657 Old 10-14-2009, 01:57 AM

You might need to be able to do the HDCP handshake across the interface in order to get HD from a STB to a monitor.

scott s.

Sony XBR-65A1E
post #3478 of 3657 Old 10-14-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

You might need to be able to do the HDCP handshake across the interface in order to get HD from a STB to a monitor.

scott s.

I used to have my Samsung DTB-H260F connected to a projector with a DVI input using an HDMI/DVI adapter from monoprice with no HDCP problems.
post #3479 of 3657 Old 10-14-2009, 05:13 AM

Quote:

I used to have my Samsung DTB-H260F connected to a projector with a DVI input using an HDMI/DVI adapter from monoprice with no HDCP problems.

I would have just gone the HDMI/DVI route myself, except the only DVI input on the monitor is being used by the computer, and it'd be incredibly cumbersome to physically change the cable every time I wanted to switch between PC and TV. This has certainly been quite the learning experience...
post #3480 of 3657 Old 10-14-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:

I would have just gone the HDMI/DVI route myself, except the only DVI input on the monitor is being used by the computer, and it'd be incredibly cumbersome to physically change the cable every time I wanted to switch between PC and TV. This has certainly been quite the learning experience...

monoprice has an inexpensive DVI switch: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page