Samsung DTB-H260F ATSC tuner - Page 122 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3631 of 3649 Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Power supply capacitors, if you search this thread you'll read several posts referring to bad power supply caps. It can be a DIY project if your familiar with soldering but I think someone in this thread(or maybe the CM7000 CECB thread) posted he can do the job for a reasonable rate.
At one point Samsung was fixing this problem under a type of extended warranty(or maybe giving people credits) but I believe thats long gone.
The days of CE products lasting a decade or more, for the most part seem to be gone frown.gif If products make it through or even double the warranty mfgs. seem satisfied mad.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 3649 Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In my case the LED wouldn't do more than flicker for an instance. If the LED is turning on it may not be a cap issue. I've had to reboot mine from time to time, but never had a re-boot fail to recover. But on mine I would get the "no signal" popup, not just a black screen.

But this thing is like a space heater so I don't leave it on 24/7.

scott s.
post #3633 of 3649 Old 09-08-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Discovered GE universal remotes work with the h260f.

Code 8112 (I think,.., can verify if needed.)
post #3634 of 3649 Old 12-05-2013, 02:05 PM

Liked: 10
So I got a DTB-H260F from fleebay, the seller claims it's in great working condition, except it doesn't have a remote control. As you probably know, without the remote, the STB is just a metal box. So I bought a brand new remote control model MF59-00291B, exactly the same as the original one, but the box will not respond to the remote. It looks like someone else on Amazon reported the same problem: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SAMSUNG-MF59-00291B-REMOTE-CONTROL/product-reviews/B003090PIU/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

I wonder if we missed something. Is there a way to program the box or the remote control to make them work with each other?mad.gifmad.gif
post #3635 of 3649 Old 12-05-2013, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinusa View Post

So I got a DTB-H260F from fleebay, the seller claims it's in great working condition, except it doesn't have a remote control. As you probably know, without the remote, the STB is just a metal box. So I bought a brand new remote control model MF59-00291B, exactly the same as the original one, but the box will not respond to the remote. It looks like someone else on Amazon reported the same problem: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SAMSUNG-MF59-00291B-REMOTE-CONTROL/product-reviews/B003090PIU/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

I wonder if we missed something. Is there a way to program the box or the remote control to make them work with each other?mad.gifmad.gif

I don't know of any way to program or pair the remote, and the only remote control troubleshooting advice in the manual (available from Samsung) seems to be "Make sure you have fresh batteries installed". Verify that your remote is model number MF59-00291B (listed on the front under the buttons on the only one I've seen).

Oops! I see you do supposedly have the right model, so I don't know what's wrong.
post #3636 of 3649 Old 12-06-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82

Point the remote at a digital camera and push a button, you should see a glow from the end of the remote in your camera's display. If you see nothing you have a bad remote(or batteries) if you see something  either you have the wrong remote or something else is bad, receiver on the Samsung?? It would be helpful in troubleshooting if you or a friend had another remote or Samsung.

post #3637 of 3649 Old 12-06-2013, 03:26 PM

Liked: 14
I use a Logitech Harmony remote on mine. It's in the Logitech database so no need to learn from an existing remote.

scott s.
post #3638 of 3649 Old 12-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I just found a local sale for a DTB-H260F and was wondering just how inferior the tuner is by today's standards.

I have a CM 7000 coupon STB and wonder if the Samsung would bring in as many channels?

I have an old Samsung direct view tube HDTV (DVI input) whose tuner is really weak compared to the CM.

THE QUESTION: would this DTB-H260F be worth having or do I really need to buy a newer tuner (with HDD of course!)

BTW they are asking $80 and I'm think $35 to $50

Oh, and with my CM, I am just barely able to get all my local channels with a CM4228 on my porch running through a Titan 2 CM7777. The TV tuner gets maybe 1/2 the stations the CM gets.
post #3639 of 3649 Old 12-18-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 88
The Samsung tuner box is an older model and will now have a weaker tuner. For a stronger tuner, consider the PHD-208 HDTV tuner from ePVision. Nice basic tuner box with good tuner. But that Samsung box does have a nice interface and was good back in its day. But probably not as good a tuner as the CM-7000 converter box which was one of the better tuner boxes, but SD only.
post #3640 of 3649 Old 12-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Forgot to mention, if it had Firewire Transport Stream output - I'd buy it in a heart beat.

I did find info about this unit saying it was a 5th generation ATSC tuner.

Then some people saying each manufacturer has its own "generation" series - in other words one manu's 5th could equal another's 4th, etc.

I found lots of reference to 6th gen, and some 7th gen, but no 8th gen.

But under 7th generation, I found a DVICO (FusionHDTV7 RT Gold) HDTV Tuner Card which are discussed around 2011 and are now cheap. Would turn one of my many old XP PC's into a nifty DVR.

They appear to have an IC tuner instead of a can. (perhaps the metric at this point in time is to simply not get a can tuner? Like any IC tuner is better than a can?

But actually that may not be true. It could be that the IC is cheaper, smaller, and maybe uses less power which now-a-days marketing has determined will have an effect on pricing - not performance.

So who knows.

These days Convenience trumps Performance such as MP3 over CD and Smart Phone/Tablet over Desktop.

Frankly, when everyone has their cable or DSL for TV, why would any manufacturer worry about the 10% of the already small OTC market share that has reception problems.
post #3641 of 3649 Old 12-20-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Here's the summary I provided back in 2006:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/728392/samsung-dtb-h260f-atsc-tuner/180#post_8868013
which cited fol. ATI test results submitted to FCC as part of a "How to determine ATSC coverage range" issue:
http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=6517693762
Alps TDQ Tuner specs claim -84 dBm Sensitivity.

There ARE tuners out there with 2 dB better Sensitivity in non-fading, no multipath conditions.....per the tuner manufacturer SPECS....unfortunately it's next to impossible to find out WHICH boxes use which Tuners and ATSC Decoder Chips [except for CECB's....see my CECB FEATURES link at bottom of this post].

The MOST IMPORTANT performance criteria is how many of the 50 "ON-AIR ENSEMBLES" (aka RF Captures) each ATSC Decoder Chip could successfully process. The ATI Xillion 260H in the DTB-H260F appears to be the same (ATI 5th) Generation chip that could decode 34 out of 50.....and Samsung "Gemini" prototype (unknown mfr), tested in Aug05 could decode 38 out of 50.

CECB's (Coupon Eligible Converter Boxes) were the FIRST and ONLY tuners that had to actually MEET specific specifications per test report submitted to NTIA/FCC (specs derived from ATSC A/74 non-mandatory "Guidelines"...which do NOT always specify pass/fail limits):
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/legacy/dtvcoupon/DTVmanufacturers.pdf

Consequently CECB's (using so-called 6th Gen ATSC Chips) ran circles around everything manufactured prior to 2007....and should be representative of nearly any tuner built in 2008 or later due to the very narrow range for additional improvement. See fol. NAB Test Report. [Unfortunately, NO NAMES.]:
http://www.nabfastroad.org/NABSTVDigitalConverterBoxEvaluation/DigitalConverter.asp [Appendix, pg 4 and 7.]

Sensitivity for ALL CECB boxes was -86 dBm (+/- 1 dB)....nearly ALL the SAME....and about 2 dB better than DTB-H260F.
Of the (only!!!) 7 CECB boxes tested, the worst could decode 37 out of 50 and the best could decode 41 out of 50.
Later "7th Gen" (or whatever) ATSC Decoder Chips (usually built into one big Super-Chip) have PROBABLY chipped away at the remaining Ensemble Tests....although perhaps five of them will NEVER be decodeable, since they were off-the-air RF Captures made at the worst-of-the-worst locations during early ATSC On-Air tests in Brazil and the USA.

Prior to 2007, the number of Ensembles that could be decoded was MUCH LESS, showing two groups....TEN that could decode 35 to 38 out of 50 Ensembles with only 1 or 2 Errors....and the other 19 (3rd & 4th Gen) that could only decode a measly 8-15 out of 50 Ensembles (incl. my old Adaptive Antenna capable Sylvania 6900DTE HD-STB with ATI NXT2004 ATSC Decoder):
http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/info/documents/reports/TR-05-1017-ATSC-reception-testing.pdf [See Field Captures, sec 6]
This illustrates that the MOST IMPORTANT advancement was NOT a 1 or 2 dB improvement in Sensitivity....but an improvement in Signal Processing.

The "5th Gen" chips were the first to provide a DOUBLE-LENGTH Equalizer which would center the initial signal in the equalizer, enabling the equalizer to lock onto a delayed multipath signal and wouldn't hickup when an EARLIER flat-fading signal came out of a fade....all earlier Equalizers would initialize the initial signal very close to the beginning of the Equalizer. [A typical problem in urban canyon environment.] See fol. for Zenith specs for their various Generation Chips:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1355458

So, what is the bottom line: Samsung DTB-H260F is "5th Gen" and will run circles around earlier Gen boxes...and is ALMOST as good as a 6th (or 7th or 8th) Gen Tuner. Since you probably don't have to deal with the "worst case" multipath conditions found in the worst-of-the-worst Ensemble RF Captures, you probably won't notice which tuners process a few more Ensembles than the other....and would be hard pressed to notice whether your box has 2 dB lower Sensitivity than some Unicorn Tuner that defies identifying which HDTV's or Tuners it might be found in.

It's better to reassess the Antenna and APPROPRIATE choice of Preamp to Maximize the Spurious Free Dynamic Range (Search forum for my "SFDR" posts)....and IF it doesn't reduce Sensitivity due to Overload, a Preamp can "typically" improve the Sensitivity by 10 dB for Mast or Attic mounted Antennas, and ALSO can improve Sensitivity for a simple Indoor Antenna since a Preamp should provide a better SWR match than a Super-Het Tuner (with a tuned input filter)....and also reduces the Sensitivity Loss due to the Tuner's internal Noise Figure.
post #3642 of 3649 Old 01-06-2014, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
My Samsung DTB-H260F just turned 5 years old last month. It still works great and I've had no trouble with it. It is my main tuner hooked up to my main HDTV. I love using it to watch football all weekend.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #3643 of 3649 Old 01-06-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

My Samsung DTB-H260F just turned 5 years old last month. It still works great and I've had no trouble with it. It is my main tuner hooked up to my main HDTV. I love using it to watch football all weekend.
I have 2 of them and they still work great. And I can use the same remote with a Samsung TV. Nice menu interface. And the tuner sensitivity as Hollands suggests may be almost as good as some of the newer boxes such as ePVision and others.
post #3644 of 3649 Old 01-06-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Mine is still running. I'm using it as a Clear QAM tuner for for TWC.

One dislike about it - it doesnot autoswitch formats based on SD aspect or HD / widescreen aspect.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #3645 of 3649 Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I hooked mine back up today after reading this thread and it gets great reception of the distant Charlotte, NC stations which are 75 miles away. 8 to 10 bars depending upon the channel. And the pic quality is great on a Panasonic plasma ST60. The Samsung box adds the program info the Panasonic does not have. I think I will keep it hooked up, but I added a splitter to also use the Panasonic tuner at times.
post #3646 of 3649 Old 03-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

I hooked mine back up today after reading this thread and it gets great reception of the distant Charlotte, NC stations which are 75 miles away. 8 to 10 bars depending upon the channel. And the pic quality is great on a Panasonic plasma ST60. The Samsung box adds the program info the Panasonic does not have. I think I will keep it hooked up, but I added a splitter to also use the Panasonic tuner at times.
Hi Tyler,

Wow, I'm very glad to have checked this thread and found this post since you're also using a DTB-H260F with a Pana. 60-series plasma.

I agree. We're currently using a nearly 6-yr. old DTB-H260F on a recently purchase ZT60. The reception and PQ are excellent. I'm not surprised by holl_ands expert analysis given our experience. CR also praised the DTB-H260F.

The electronic program guide (EPG) is exceptionally convenient. It's hard to believe Panasonic didn't include this handy feature. Even our CM-7000 converter box included EPG.

Additionally, the DTB-H260F features remote-controlled variable analog audio outputs. The Viera plasmas only provide an optical digital fixed audio output, which isn't plug-and-play compatible with legacy analog sound systems.

Q. When watching the DTB-H260F on your ST60 how are you routing the audio?
  • Analog audio out
  • Dolby Digital optical
  • HDMI

Q. Is there a way to adjust the lip-sync function when using a Viera plasma with a DTB-H260F & a legacy analog sound system?

Please see: Viera Audio out, Or Viera + Samsung DTB-H260F to 2.0 sound system?

Thanks!

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource

Save Free HDTV: Facebook Page

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
post #3647 of 3649 Old 03-04-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

The Panasonic plasmas are excellent displays but lack a good channel guide and program info. So adding the Samsung 260 tuner box was indeed a good solution. Great picture and good reception. But I also use a splitter so I can also use the Panasonic tuner which is very sensitive. But the Samsung box does get all the major channels, including from 75 miles. But I am sorry to hear Panasonic is halting plasma production as the ST60 is an awesome display.
post #3648 of 3649 Old 03-04-2014, 02:56 PM

Liked: 10
Even if mine still alive(bad caps twice)Thanks to Comcast I can't use it anymore. They encrypted all the basic channels

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #3649 of 3649 Old 03-04-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJA28 View Post

Even if mine still alive(bad caps twice)Thanks to Comcast I can't use it anymore. They encrypted all the basic channels

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
There is a newer Samsung box which works with digital cable. Sold at Walmart. Most cable systems are now encrypting the local channels, so there is no more clear qam available. But the 260 box still works great for an OTA antenna reception.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page