Samsung DTB-H260F ATSC tuner - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you used the HDMI connection with no problems on this TV before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchar View Post

Hi,
I set up the new unit last night and now I get beautiful audio through the dig. out. However, I still have the same problem with color fading after 5-10 seconds. I'm using the 1080 HDMI output to my Sony KLV-S32A10. The picture quality and the sound is great, but I would prefer to watch in color Does anybody have any ideas?

Try YPbPr out. -- John
post #363 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 07:51 AM

Finally got a chance to test this tuner in bad weather. Last night we had strong wind of 30+ MPH gust in the area, and all OTA channels got constant break-ups and became totally un-watchable. Some channels showed 100% signal strength, but dropped to 0% for a moment when wing was blowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

As I recall all channels over QAM showed 100 percent signal strength but don't hold me to this.

-DonB2

Really? All my cable QAM signal are at 0% level. Anyone else?
post #364 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 08:35 AM

0% here, too.
post #365 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Finally got a chance to test this tuner in bad weather. Last night we had strong wind of 30+ MPH gust in the area, and all OTA channels got constant break-ups and became totally un-watchable. Some channels showed 100% signal strength, but dropped to 0% for a moment when wing was blowing.

other antenna designs can tame multipath.

A bowtie antenna receives signal from the rear. If your trees or other issues are in the rear, a yagi style antenna would work better since by design they receive little in that direction.

I have a wall of trees around me. The cm4228 is terrible in the wind where the hd8200p and 91xg are great.

Another factor is stability of the antenna system. if the system sways about during the wind gusts, it is best to stabilize it...shorten the mast etc.
post #366 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Try YPbPr out. -- John

I have used the HDMI input on my TV before without problems. The TV only has one input so I used the same cable that I've used successfully with my DVD player. The DVD player has always worked fine with this HDMI set-up and my problems only started with the Samsung STB.

John, per your suggestions I just tried the YPbPr out and the color is now stable. Does this mean there is something wrong with the HDMI out jack on my STB (this would be the second such defective unit in a row)? Thanks for your help.
post #367 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

The 260 should receive the digital channels your previous TV received, but not the analog (NTSC) channels.

Does the LCD TV have an analog (NTSC) tuner? Or is it strictly a monitor, with no tuner at all? If it's just a monitor, you'll lose the analog cable channels with this TV & STB combo. It sounds like that TV was on sale for a reason.

You might be better off to return the "sale" TV and find one that has built in.

First off, let me just say thanks for actually reading my post and for replying. I know it was long lol. Anyway. The TV is a Monitor (no NTSC tuner). I have no doubt that's why the TV was cheap. I looked at other TV's with the same price and same size (32" LCD) and the only ones there are, are a Westinghouse, Insignia and an HP. The picture on the Toshiba is awesome and I've heard nothing but good things about it. I don't think I'd want to take it back for one of those other 3. I mostly use it for the Xbox 360 anyway.

So by not receiving the analog channels, I'd pretty be receiving hardly any channels? There's no way I can get both or there's no tuner that is both an ATSC and NTSC? Obviously I could get the box from Comcast, but I wanted the free HD & digital channels. I probably wouldn't receive enough of those though with the H260 to justify the price, right?

Again, thanks!
post #368 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Use the NTSC tuner in a VHS VCR and split the cable coax to the sammy and the VCR.
post #369 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Use the NTSC tuner in a VHS VCR and split the cable coax to the sammy and the VCR.

Don't have a VCR so anything besides that? I'm not really worried about analog channels but what I don't know is what kind of and how many digital channels are there?
post #370 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 06:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Preliminary testing of 91xg connected to Sam h260. My difficult channels: 43,44,28 were received by cm4228 with 1 or2 two signal bars and dropouts. With 91xg, 5 bars. Both used cm 7775 preamp. No break ups on 91. More later. PS; still receiving 19 from rear of 91 at 60+ miles. Topography is everything, 91 is very promising.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #371 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchar View Post

I have used the HDMI input on my TV before without problems. The TV only has one input so I used the same cable that I've used successfully with my DVD player. The DVD player has always worked fine with this HDMI set-up and my problems only started with the Samsung STB.

John, per your suggestions I just tried the YPbPr out and the color is now stable. Does this mean there is something wrong with the HDMI out jack on my STB (this would be the second such defective unit in a row)? Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately HDMI has not been well implementated by the consumer electronics companies. It's been a hit or miss situation. Mostly the reports I've read deal with audio dropouts. Your TV may not be compatible with the the Samsung HDMI implementation and I wouldn't hold my breath for a fix from either. If HDMI is important I would return it and try it at least one more time as I haven't read any
reports on the color issue and the STB may be bad. I've used the Samsung SIR-T451's component out as well as its DVI out. I would be hard pressed to notice any difference. I did use good component cables. Since I have more DVI & HDMI equipment and a HDMI switcher via a video processor I have cabled everything DVI/HDMI.
my 2 cents.
post #372 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 07:40 PM

I've had my Samsung DTB-H260F for about two weeks now feeding OTA signals to the HDMI input of my Westy 42". So far I can report I have experienced no problems using this input (such as flashing, etc.). Once the box locks on a signal, it is extremely stable, but does not find as many signals as my old Sylvania 3000Z does. I should note that I am located in southeastern Michigan, with my major towers being 30+ miles (Toledo) and 50+ miles (Detroit) away. I have noticed that it is possible to lock up the Samsung if rapid and frequent channel changes are done, as I was doing when constantly switching inputs and channels while comparing the two STB's. This was easily overcome by re-starting the box. As mentioned in earlier posts, the sound output is very low compared to the Sylvania, but can be overcome if the volume is set to max on the box and using the Westy's volume control for veiwing programs. I intend to keep the unit, though I wish it had greater sensitivity to weker channels.
post #373 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0725 View Post

other antenna designs can tame multipath.

A bowtie antenna receives signal from the rear. If your trees or other issues are in the rear, a yagi style antenna would work better since by design they receive little in that direction.

I have a wall of trees around me. The cm4228 is terrible in the wind where the hd8200p and 91xg are great.

Another factor is stability of the antenna system. if the system sways about during the wind gusts, it is best to stabilize it...shorten the mast etc.

thanks!
post #374 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioState87 View Post

First off, let me just say thanks for actually reading my post and for replying. I know it was long lol. Anyway. The TV is a Monitor (no NTSC tuner). I have no doubt that's why the TV was cheap. I looked at other TV's with the same price and same size (32" LCD) and the only ones there are, are a Westinghouse, Insignia and an HP. The picture on the Toshiba is awesome and I've heard nothing but good things about it. I don't think I'd want to take it back for one of those other 3. I mostly use it for the Xbox 360 anyway.

So by not receiving the analog channels, I'd pretty be receiving hardly any channels? There's no way I can get both or there's no tuner that is both an ATSC and NTSC? Obviously I could get the box from Comcast, but I wanted the free HD & digital channels. I probably wouldn't receive enough of those though with the H260 to justify the price, right?

Again, thanks!

H260 can do both OTA (Over The Air) and clear QAM. You can check out antenna web site to find out how far you live from the transmitters and what kind of antenna you need to receive free OTA signals. Or, since you already have comcast basic, H260 should be able to pick up unscrambled QAM signals from cable as well. Either way, you will only get local broadcasting channels, unless your comcast is generous enough to include some premium channels unscrambled. Anyway, better try it before the big day Jan 8!
post #375 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspm1 View Post

H260 can do both OTA (Over The Air) and clear QAM. You can check out antenna web site to find out how far you live from the transmitters and what kind of antenna you need to receive free OTA signals. Or, since you already have comcast basic, H260 should be able to pick up unscrambled QAM signals from cable as well. Either way, you will only get local broadcasting channels, unless your comcast is generous enough to include some premium channels unscrambled. Anyway, better try it before the big day Jan 8!

Yes, I definitely will be trying it before Jan. 8! That TV I had before this one that had the built in ATSC and NTSC picked up Fox HD and that's the channel the game will be played on so I like to think I'd be fine. I also got ABC HD and NBC HD plus some others I didn't know and a lot of Music Choice channels. I even got that Howard Stern channel one day. The new one.

Anyway, here is the info from antennaweb. I figured I'd show you because you'd know more of what it means than me.

red - vhf WTOV 9 NBC STEUBENVILLE OH 261° 22.9 9
red - vhf WPXI 11 NBC PITTSBURGH PA 91° 10.7 11
red - vhf KDKA 2 CBS PITTSBURGH PA 79° 10.4 2

* blue - uhf KDKA-DT 2.1 CBS PITTSBURGH PA 79° 10.4 25
blue - uhf WWBP-LP 25 BOX FREEDOM PA 1° 17.3 25
blue - vhf WQED 13 PBS PITTSBURGH PA 98° 12.7 13
blue - uhf WQEX 16 HSN PITTSBURGH PA 98° 12.7 16
blue - vhf WTAE 4 ABC PITTSBURGH PA 126° 24.0 4
blue - uhf WKBN 27 CBS YOUNGSTOWN OH 340° 48.2 27
blue - uhf W66BQ 66 IND BEAVER PA 351° 19.8 66
blue - uhf WNEO 45 PBS ALLIANCE OH 319° 48.8 45
blue - uhf WPGH 53 FOX PITTSBURGH PA 80° 11.2 53

* violet - uhf WPGH-DT 53.1 FOX PITTSBURGH PA 80° 11.2 43
* violet - uhf WTOV-DT 9.1 NBC STEUBENVILLE OH 261° 22.9 57
violet - vhf WTRF 7 CBS WHEELING WV 236° 39.1 7
* violet - uhf WPMY-DT 42.1 MNT PITTSBURGH PA 80° 11.2 42
* violet - uhf WPXI-DT 11.1 NBC PITTSBURGH PA 91° 10.7 48
* violet - uhf WKBN-DT 27.1 CBS YOUNGSTOWN OH 340° 48.2 41
violet - uhf WPCB 40 FMN GREENSBURG PA 107° 22.6 40

Also, one more question. Since the analog shutdown is in a couple of years, could I consider the H260 to be future proof? In that I mean, right now I'm concerned because I won't be receiving a lot of channels because I can't pick up analog with the H260. BUT, when the shutdown happens, everything moves to digital right? So wouldn't I end up being able to receive all channels through the H260 when that happens?
post #376 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 10:47 PM

I have a HD Ready LCD (NTSC Tuner built-in). I planned on running the Samsung through it since I have basic analog cable to receive the clear QAM channels.

Will I still receive my NTSC channels through the Samsung even though my TV has the NSTC tuner or do I need to split the signal?

Thanks.
post #377 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
You'll have to split the signal.
post #378 of 3649 Old 12-02-2006, 11:52 PM

That's what I thought. I have heard rumors of tuners with NTSC/ATSC/ClearQAM capabilities coming soon. Any truth to that?
post #379 of 3649 Old 12-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

I've found that with each different STB I try , it's best that you re-position your antenna before making judgements on whether its better at fringe channel reception or not. Some boxes required a big adjustment (several degrees) to lock on weaker stations.

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #380 of 3649 Old 12-03-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbielowicz View Post

I have a HD Ready LCD (NTSC Tuner built-in). I planned on running the Samsung through it since I have basic analog cable to receive the clear QAM channels.

Will I still receive my NTSC channels through the Samsung even though my TV has the NSTC tuner or do I need to split the signal?

You can connect your cable company cable to the antenna-in on the Samsung. Then connect the antenna-out of the Samsung to the antenna-in of the HD Ready LCD. That will get you your NTSC basic analog cable stations.

Connect the HDMI-out or the Component-outs on the Samsung to the corresponding input on the HD Ready LCD. That gets the clear QAM channels to your LCD. As long as you're only connecting to the cable company cable and not an OTA antenna, you should be OK.
post #381 of 3649 Old 12-03-2006, 11:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbielowicz View Post

Thanks.

I connect my HDTV Wonder from the ant output of the Samsung and receive both analog and digital channels on the Wonder.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #382 of 3649 Old 12-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

If you only had cable hooked up (not an antenna), then your TV probably didn't get anything OTA and therefore you digital cable signals would have been picked up via a QAM (digital cable) tuner built into the TV. BB & CC sales folk generally don't know a lot about this since there is generally no cable company signal coming into the store. Sometimes there is, but no way to hook up a given TV to it to test it.

If you have the basic tier, it should pick up your local Stations HD signals over the cable. If you only have broadcast basic (usually only local analog ststions + shopping channels + (maybe) ESPN), the filter on your signal will likely prevent getting the digital cable signals. Since apparenly you got them before you should get them again.

While others disagree, there is some evidence of problems in the QAM tuner world, so I wouldn't bet on anything,

I also believe that there are problems with the proper set of cable company transmissions, wich may or may not affect you.
post #383 of 3649 Old 12-03-2006, 02:20 PM

I have a sony hd capable tv and bought the h260f to use as a tuner. I have cable and it scans through and pics up alot of stations but they seem to skip. What do I need to do to fix this. I do not havd the hd package and only want to recieve the basic stations with this tuner like abc cbs nbc....... Why is it skipping and what do i use to auto programs the channels STD HRC or IRC? I need help thanks.
post #384 of 3649 Old 12-03-2006, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

OhioState87, the Samsung will pick up all OTA digital programming after shut-off.

Personally, I suggest that you call Comcast and see if they can get HD service into your apartment. To be honest, it's the simplest way to get HD service, period. The Comcast box will be able to handle all scrambled digital channels, and will include channels you can't get over the air, like Discovery HD Theater, and ESPN-HD. Have the antenna/Sammy as a backup in case the cable goes out.
post #385 of 3649 Old 12-03-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

OhioState87, the Samsung will pick up all OTA digital programming after shut-off.

Personally, I suggest that you call Comcast and see if they can get HD service into your apartment. To be honest, it's the simplest way to get HD service, period. The Comcast box will be able to handle all scrambled digital channels, and will include channels you can't get over the air, like Discovery HD Theater, and ESPN-HD. Have the antenna/Sammy as a backup in case the cable goes out.

There's no doubt that's what I'd do if I wasn't in college right now lol. Money is hard to come by, even with a job.
post #386 of 3649 Old 12-03-2006, 10:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post

You can connect your cable company cable to the antenna-in on the Samsung. Then connect the antenna-out of the Samsung to the antenna-in of the HD Ready LCD. That will get you your NTSC basic analog cable stations.

Connect the HDMI-out or the Component-outs on the Samsung to the corresponding input on the HD Ready LCD. That gets the clear QAM channels to your LCD. As long as you're only connecting to the cable company cable and not an OTA antenna, you should be OK.

I was not aware that the Samsung had pass-through RF capabilities.

Most of the standalone tuners I've been familiar with didn't even have an RF out.
post #387 of 3649 Old 12-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Most of the standalone tuners I've been familiar with didn't even have an RF out.

It is actually quite common in various tuners I have looked at over the years. As an example my LG 42000A has one.

peter
post #388 of 3649 Old 12-04-2006, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

At this time I comparing the ota tuner in the Samsung to my three other tuners that I have laying around. In watching about 7 hours of football yesterday I can say that the tuner in the Samsung is very good. I need a few more days to make sure that atmospheric conditions didn't influence yesterdays result. In about 12 hours total of ota viewing I of yet had one breakup. In watching ota on my dish211 yesterday I had about 7 breakups in an hour. Most of my ota stations are 50 plus miles away. More to come.
post #389 of 3649 Old 12-04-2006, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Like plumeria said, I also find it quite common.
Same on the LG LST-3510A. It's not an RF out but a RF pass thru.
post #390 of 3649 Old 12-04-2006, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

bmc1818 ,

What do you mean by skipping?

-DonB2
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version