Samsung DTB-H260F ATSC tuner - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2006, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
has anyone had this problem?

my samsung has been working perfect for the first 2 months. all of a sudden it dropped! my projector started searching for the samsung which is connected via hdmi. it could not locate it. i had to disconnect the box and reconnect it. the projector started searching and found it. i started to do an ota channel search, but when it got to channel 36 it dropped again! my projector started doing the search again but could not locate it! i checked the hdmi connection and component connection but found no problems with the projector or cables. i had to unplug and replug it back in. i did the channel search and did the same problem when it got to channel 36! any one else have this issue? i am only about 4 miles from the antennas for my ota channels. i am using the simple rabbit ears which i started using the first time without any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2006, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

windycitystyle,

I had some experience of that nature when doing a QAM search on Adams cable out of Binghamton , NY. The Samsung never really finished the search would go into a reboot and than I was able to watch the QAM channels it found.

Never could get it to complete the QAM channel seach completely.

I realise I am talking CABLE QAM and you are talking OTA ATSC so ust thought I would mention it.

I kinda blamed it on the Cable company.

-DonB2
Old 12-08-2006, 08:52 AM

that is the same thing that happened to me. it would reboot and then i am only able to watch the channels that it did scan prior to rebooting. it also makes a weird noise through my surround sound and makes my projector go into search mode! is this a common problem or do i have a deffective unit. if so then that sucks because i cant find any in the chicagoland area.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
DonB2,

There are several threads about multicast must carry. I think they are over in the HDTV programming topic. I believe the current status is that cable and satellite only have to carry the main program and do not have to carry the extra subchannels. The broadcasters would like the FCC to impost multicast must carry. That way cable and satellite would be forced to carry all of their subchannels.

If you find the threads you will find a lot of people, including me, are strongly opposed to multicast must carry.

Rick R
Old 12-08-2006, 11:08 AM

Pressing 5 Enter gets you 5.1; you don't need to enter the subchannel.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:28 AM

Need help; have a Panasonic PT 47X49 that I bought the H260F for after I had seen what my new Panasonic plasma does with the cable hook up. With the plasma and it's integrated tuner I am able to pu in HD the major stations and plenty of QAM content. I hooked the tuner up to the old Panny via component as well as running the cable through the tuner to the tv. After a few tweaks the analog looks fine but when I switch over to the component the hd and qam stations have blue streaks that move across the screen. What can I do about this? Thanks...
Old 12-08-2006, 11:28 AM

I eventually found a DTB-H260F at BB and bought it. It does wonders with my old analog TV, and I get 27 digital stations from 40 miles away from Seattle (using a new 40" UHF antenna from Radio Shack). The menu works great connecting to component jacks on the TV. The result is sort of 1/2 way to HDTV for a very cheap price. I don't have or want cable. Since all the main Seattle TV stations have a digital channel, you don't really need the old analog channels.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:19 PM

I have had the H260 now for about 2 weeks now. First STB for me, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm pretty impressed with it so far. I bought the unit to cancel my outrageous pricey cable.

I bought a multi-directional 20dB Amplified TV Antenna from radio shack (model # 15-1634). I bought this one to try so I wouldn't have to use a rotor. Works fairly well, but the antenna is a bit picky for where to locate it. I currently have it up as high as I can get it in my attic and I am pulling in 23 OTA channels. I'm pulling in one PBS channel that is 55 miles away (Milwaukee, WI) according to antennaweb. I think when summer rolls back in, I'm going to mount it outside on top of my roof to see if I get a stronger signal. Every now and then the PBS channel will drop out, depending on the current weather conditions.

But for some reason, I am not picking up a few channels that I think I should be. The tower is only 30 miles from me. When I hook the antenna up to my TV directly w/o the H260, channel 13 (NBC out of Rockford, IL) comes in crystal clear. But when I hook up the H260, it will not pick up channel 13.1 Is this because their digital signal is too weak? I don't really care to much because I can pick up channel 15.1 (NBC out of Madison, WI)

Over all, I am very satisfied with the H260. I always wanted to get an HD STB, but didn't want to drop the $300 - $400 for a respectable box.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

dbudworth,

Attic antennas can be challenging , that is where I have mine mounted by the way.

Rain on shingles and attic mounted electrical equipment can cause issues.

The 13.1 may be UHF when the 13 analog is VHF. The 13.1 may be only transmitting at 1/2 power. There are other issues also.

I have a channel located on the same antenna farm and I can;t always get it but get the other stations off the antenna farm fine.

See if you have any multicast side channels on any of those channels, if you do you may find some alternative SD programming you may like.

-DonB2
Old 12-08-2006, 02:56 PM

I have the Dish dual tuner that down converts the HD signal to 480i to feed a second TV. The second TV is fed with a coaxial cable, and the TV must be set to channel 75 to receive the signal. If I use this box and connect it to my HDTV with HDMI, will it upconvert the signal back to 1080i?
Old 12-08-2006, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I played a bit with my new DTB-H260F last night and this morning, and so far my impressions are mostly favorable.

I use OTA only, with a large combination VHF/UHF antenna and rotator on the roof. I'm in a rural area at the south end of the Greenville SC DMA. I can also receive stations from Charlotte, Columbia and Augusta with varying degrees of success. Most of the Greenville stations (40-80 miles away) come in fine with my other DTV receivers, but a couple are problematical because of co-channel interference from analog stations in Columbia. In general, the Greenville stations benefit by being up in the NC mountains. I think I have line-of-sight to all of them. Stations from the other cities (65+ miles) don't have that elevation advantage, and the intervening terrain blocks the line of sight to some extent, but I can still receive several Charlotte and Columbia stations pretty well, with the others being intermittent.

I don't think I have major multipath problems, except maybe for my neighbors' large trees which tower over the back of my suburban-type property. My issues are mainly distance, lack of line-of-sight, and co-channel interference.

So far, the DTB-H260F seems to hold onto weak signals somewhat better than the two receivers that I'm comparing it with now: the US Digital from Wal-Mart and the Sony DHG-HDD500 DVR. I've noticed this particularly with one station that doesn't have co-channel interference (WACH-DT in Columbia) and one that does (WUNF-DT in Asheville). In both cases I've been able to get a steady picture on the DTB-H260F when the others either showed no picture at all or had frequent breakups.

The 10-bar signal meter behaves differently from my other STBs, in that I can get at least some picture across the entire range. Even when the meter reads 1-2 bars I can usually get a picture with occasional breakups. The picture usually doesn't disappear completely until the meter drops to 0 to 1 bar. With most signal meters, the picture disappears around 60% to 65%.

A channel scan always wipes out the previous channel list. There's no "additional scan" option. You can scan individual channels by entering the RF channel number in normal operation, provided that the channel number doesn't exist as a virtual channel number already. This means you have to be careful about the sequence in which you add channels. For example, if I've already scanned WOLO-DT (virtual 25, RF 8) in Columbia, I can't add WUNF-DT (virtual 33, RF 25) in Asheville because entering 25 takes me to WOLO-DT.

Like with the predecessor SIR-T451, the aspect ratio setting isn't stored on a per-channel basis. So if I set it to "pillarbox" for an SD channel or subchannel, I have to set it back to "full" when I change to an HD channel.

The 15-second bootup time is slightly annoying, because I've gottten spoiled by units that stay in standby mode when turned off.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

So far, the DTB-H260F seems to hold onto weak signals somewhat better than the two receivers that I'm comparing it with now: the US Digital from Wal-Mart and the Sony DHG-HDD500 DVR. I've noticed this particularly with one station that doesn't have co-channel interference (WACH-DT in Columbia) and one that does (WUNF-DT in Asheville). In both cases I've been able to get a steady picture on the DTB-H260F when the others either showed no picture at all or had frequent breakups.

Yep, the ota tuner is awesome. Much better than my previous 5 tuners.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:18 PM

Okay, I am getting up to speed with this tuner. As was previously said, this tuner may not be for those with an older tv like mine that doesn't have component or hdmi connectors (no menus). But I am able to get the menus in black and white (decent picture), by connecting the yellow video connector (composite video) to the green composite connector temporarily (this advice was given previously), to set up the channels, etc. Works great. In fact you can go retro and watch hi-def black and white if you like. Anyway, I plan on keeping this box and will use it with a newer HDTV "monitor" and probably be able to go hi-def on the cheap. Am going to try a Philips Silver Sensor antenna to see if I can lock in some Baltimore channels (already have an amp and an RCA type amped antenna, which works pretty well). Loving being digital finally.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

DjohnsonCB ,

You could always buy a pricier one and take it back if you don't see an improvement.

-DonB2

I did buy a more expensive HDMI cable. Performance was no different--the color picture went to BW after less than a minute. I had to tear the package apart to get the new HDMI cable out (damn clamshells!!!) so I doubt the store will allow a return. I decided to try the Samsung on another set using DVI (from the other set) to HDMI (on the Samsung). There was no color fade or flagging problem, so I wonder if the problem is in the HDMI outlet on my Sony TV? I had to replace the Sony once already; I am on my second one of these and the problem is still present.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitystyle View Post

that is the same thing that happened to me. it would reboot and then i am only able to watch the channels that it did scan prior to rebooting. it also makes a weird noise through my surround sound and makes my projector go into search mode! is this a common problem or do i have a deffective unit. if so then that sucks because i cant find any in the chicagoland area.

I have this exact problem with my unit that was purchased early this week. When I do a scan, it goes fine until ch36 then it reboots! I found a way around it is to remove the antenna connection just before the ch36 scan (around 34-35) then immediately plug it back in after it passes 36 to resume with the rest of the stations. I don't know if its a defective unit or if there is some signal out there that is causing the problems, but it sure is a pain in the butt! I'm afraid that if I send the unit back and they say they find nothing wrong with the unit, I will be charged for an extra restocking fee.

Anyone else see this problem???

-Mark
Old 12-09-2006, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've read of the problem of corrupt channels crashing receivers before here on AVS forum. Typically its a cable company/ OTA transmission error, but I'm no expert.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:38 AM

Thanks to all who've posted on this topic. I decided to buy one, but the're very hard to find right now. I found one on-line yesterday at "one call" and ordered it for 178.99 including shipping. They emailed back yesterday evening saying they'd shipped it already!

Just thought I share this for those still looking.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
[quote=DjohnsonCB]I did buy a more expensive HDMI cable. Performance was no different--the color picture went to BW after less than a minute. I had to tear the package apart to get the new HDMI cable out (damn clamshells!!!) so I doubt the store will allow a return. I decided to try the Samsung on another set using DVI (from the other set) to HDMI (on the Samsung). There was no color fade or flagging problem, so I wonder if the problem is in the HDMI outlet on my Sony TV? I had to replace the Sony once already; I am on my second one of these and the problem is still present.[/QUOTE

What Sony model do you have?
I ask as this may be a flag to others.
Thanks
Old 12-09-2006, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebert View Post

When I do a scan, it goes fine until ch36 then it reboots! I found a way around it is to remove the antenna connection just before the ch36 scan (around 34-35) then immediately plug it back in after it passes 36 to resume with the rest of the stations.

I've seen this before with a different receiver (don't remember which one). It's probably an error in the station's PSIP data (the part of the data stream that carries the virtual channel number, program listings, etc.). Some receivers are more forgiving than others, of PSIP errors. If you contact the station about it, their engineers will probably be interested to hear about it and try to fix it. Sometimes this is the only way that they can find out that they have a problem!

In the meantime, you can add channels manually, if you know the channel the station is actually broadcasting its digital signal on. For example, my "channel 4" actually uses channel 59 for digital. If my channel list doesn't already have a 59-1, 59-2 etc., when I enter "59" the display changes to "4-1" after a pause, and the unit memorizes that channel if it's not already in the list. Thereafter I can tune it as "4".
Old 12-10-2006, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
DjohnsonCB,

When using the HDMI output, does the image change to B&W on every resolution setting? Have you tried using the inexpensive HDMI cable at 480p, 720p and 1080i? When I connect the Samsung to my display using HDMI, only 480p works. The other two resolutions look B/W, or more like the colors are screwed actually up.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My local CC always plays games. For the second time in two weeks I got the E-Mail that the STB was in stock at my local store. Each time the notice came after mid-night.

Each time I check the site and yes it's in.

So this morning like the last morning, I recheck before heading to the store and 'puff' it's no longer in stock.

I call and get a familiar voice. I ask the guy what happened. Here's the answer: "Oh, the employee's bought every one !"

Since I don't like to buy online and pick up at the store, I guess this game will go on for a while.

* I like to see how damaged the box is before I purchase anything. Call me paranoid !

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
Old 12-10-2006, 11:26 AM

I just picked up the last DTB-260F at Circuit City in Durham on Friday and have been playing with it. I'm impressed with the tuner's ability to pick up and stay locked to digital stations that are about 40 miles away. I'm concerned that the quality of the picture is not as good as what I can get with TW Cable 8300HD. I plan to move from component cables to HDMI to see if that improves PQ. For those of you who are trying to buy one of these STBs, Best Buy in Durham had 3 in stock as of Friday night.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrElectron View Post

I just picked up the last DTB-260F at Circuit City in Durham on Friday and have been playing with it. I'm impressed with the tuner's ability to pick up and stay locked to digital stations that are about 40 miles away. I'm concerned that the quality of the picture is not as good as what I can get with TW Cable 8300HD. I plan to move from component cables to HDMI to see if that improves PQ. For those of you who are trying to buy one of these STBs, Best Buy in Durham had 3 in stock as of Friday night.

Wow thats the first time I heard that. For the most part OTA blows away cable for local HD.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:54 PM

Has any one in Denver area figured out the channel conversion for Comcast Digital.
I know 90-1 on the 260 is FOX HD channel 655, but nothing else matches or crosses over. Any ideas?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeisaacks View Post

Has any one in Denver area figured out the channel conversion for Comcast Digital.
I know 90-1 on the 260 is FOX HD channel 655, but nothing else matches or crosses over. Any ideas?

Comcast seems to be playing a cat and mouse game with QAM In-The-Clear digital channels by reassigning channel numbers every few weeks. This link will take you to the current discussion in progress: Denver Comcast Discussion
Old 12-11-2006, 12:25 AM

I've read through this thread and never saw an answer, even though others have asked:

Are the pillarbox bars on the sides of a 16x9 screen showing a 4x3 image black or gray in color? Older Samsung tuners were a distracting gray.

TIA,

Paul
Old 12-11-2006, 01:02 AM

Liked: 13
Does anyone have a QAM Channel list for the (North) Seattle Comcast area? I am wondering what channels will come through if I purchase a DTB-H260F tuner for my Samsung TX-R2678WH. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiappini View Post

Are the pillarbox bars on the sides of a 16x9 screen showing a 4x3 image black or gray in color?

They're black, if you're receiving a true 4:3 (480i) signal and the Samsung is set to "16:9 Pillar" mode. If you're receiving a 720p or 1080i signal that contains an upconverted 4:3 SD image, you get whatever the station filled the pillarbars with.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppa206 View Post

Does anyone have a QAM Channel list for the (North) Seattle Comcast area?

Check the Seattle Comcast thread in the local reception forum, and ask there if you don't see a list already posted.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=253006
Old 12-11-2006, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was hoping that I could use the S-Video and component outputs simultaneously. That would allow me to record from the Samsung to my DVD recorder via S-Video (in SD of course) while watching the HD on my TV.

It turns out that the S-Video output is indeed active while the component output is in use, even if the resolution-select switch is set to 480p, 720p or 1080i. However, the "Aspect" button on the remote affects only the component output in this case. It does not affect the S-Video output. I can record true SD and anamorphic HD properly. However, if I record SD upconverted to HD with pillarbars added to the signal, I can't get rid of the pillarbars, but have to record it as anamorphic HD instead.

I suspect that if I disconnect the component output, the aspect control might then work with the S-Video output, but I haven't tried it. It would be impractical to disconnect the component cables when I want to record, anyway.

I can already dub to DVD properly from my Sony HD DVR, so it's not a big deal for me. I do have the impression that the PQ is a bit better with the Samsung, and it can pick up some signals that the Sony can't. So I might use it for some recordings anyway.