post #541 of 3649 Old 12-18-2006, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post

... Local channels on Comcast QAM were properly mapped.

I have been waiting for someone to report on this feature for weeks.

Are you saying that the digital channels received via QAM from Comcast can be dialed in using the same channel numbers as a Comcast STB would?

So, here in the Seattle area, HD channel 7.1 would be on Comcast (STB) channel 107 even though the actual QAM channel is someting like 89.2.

This is good news if I understand you correctly.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3649 Old 12-18-2006, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget_HT View Post

Are you saying that the digital channels received via QAM from Comcast can be dialed in using the same channel numbers as a Comcast STB would?

Budget_HT,

I was trying to say that while receiving locals with QAM tuner they had the same channel numbers as if I was receiveing them from the air (OTA), 2, 6, 8... My SIR451 either didn't tune to those channels or picked them up in 80 something range (or perhaps Comcast changed something, I no longer have SIR451 so I can verify that). I believe 260 found some local channel duplicates in 80s range, but I have to do more investagation to figure that out.
At this point I'm not even interested in QAM since I can receive OTA without any dropouts.
post #543 of 3649 Old 12-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Its good to read reports that are close to mine as far as the ota tuner goes. I still can't believe I have not had one dropout yet. For anyone that is frustrated with their ota reception I highly recommend trying the Samsung. It is far superior to any of my previous 5 hd tuners.
post #544 of 3649 Old 12-18-2006, 02:13 PM

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here but I just wanted to let people know that if you get the Samsung tuner at Circuit City and buy a silver sensor antenna, you can use the $40 off $199 coupon that's floating around and get both items for around $170 out the door.

I just did so and am hoping to get the kind of reception I hear about here on the forum with this baby!
post #545 of 3649 Old 12-18-2006, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any ideas where to look for the coupon? I haven't been able to spot it on the circuit city website.
Thanks
post #546 of 3649 Old 12-18-2006, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post

Budget_HT,

I was trying to say that while receiving locals with QAM tuner they had the same channel numbers as if I was receiveing them from the air (OTA), 2, 6, 8... My SIR451 either didn't tune to those channels or picked them up in 80 something range (or perhaps Comcast changed something, I no longer have SIR451 so I can verify that). I believe 260 found some local channel duplicates in 80s range, but I have to do more investagation to figure that out.
At this point I'm not even interested in QAM since I can receive OTA without any dropouts.

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear! I have heard of HDTVs with built-in ATSC/8VSB/QAM tuners mapping the cable channels but I had not heard of a stand-alone HD STB that did so.

Thanks for the info.

Dave
post #547 of 3649 Old 12-18-2006, 05:59 PM

Will this thing work with a projector ?? I'm planning on installing a nice antenna but my D* HDDVR won't be able to receive the OTA HD signal until a software update is available. I want to get OTA HD but my PJ will need something to "tune" in the stations.
post #548 of 3649 Old 12-18-2006, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This unit can deliver HD via component-video or HDMI connection. You choose which output is active via a switch on the back of the box. It can deliver HD signals (via either connection) in either 1080i or 720p resolution. You choose which resolution using another switch on the back. If your projector can accept any combination of these input types and resolutions, this unit should work with it OK.
post #549 of 3649 Old 12-18-2006, 09:28 PM

Does anyone know what the "service" connector can be used for and how to use the "service" connector? Thanks.
post #550 of 3649 Old 12-19-2006, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_kent View Post

Does anyone know what the "service" connector can be used for and how to use the "service" connector? Thanks.

If your referring to the USB Port in the rear, it could be used for Firmware Updates,etc ?
post #551 of 3649 Old 12-19-2006, 07:31 AM

Or perhaps if some ingenious soul came up with a way to outmaneuver the HDCP
post #552 of 3649 Old 12-19-2006, 07:47 AM

I puchased a 260F from Circuit City about 2 weeks ago and am very happy with it. It's my 1st HD rcvr so i cannot comment on it's performance compared to anyother, but I think it is definitely worth the investment. My only problem is I cannot receive the local PBS boadcast - which is transmitted from the same location as the CBS signal and that comes in fine. Hope to get somme advice on that on a different thread.
post #553 of 3649 Old 12-19-2006, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post

Any ideas where to look for the coupon? I haven't been able to spot it on the circuit city website.
Thanks

Go to your favorite online deal forum and search for "40 off 199" That should do the trick. If not, then PM, I think I have a copy of the pdf somewhere ...
post #554 of 3649 Old 12-19-2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget_HT View Post

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear! I have heard of HDTVs with built-in ATSC/8VSB/QAM tuners mapping the cable channels but I had not heard of a stand-alone HD STB that did so.

Thanks for the info.

Don't rush out and buy one just yet. If you're hoping that all the clear QAM channels will map to the same virtual channels that they do on a cable company box, you're liable to be dissapointed. The cable company uses a completely differnt system from broadcasters do to tell their boxes which physical channels have which logical channels. Because of this, the cable companies don't pay a lot of attention to whether the signals they provide contains the PSIP information provided by the broadcasters to tell ATSC broadcast receivers how to map the channels.

A reciever which pays attention to the PSIP information in QAM signals creates more problems than it solves as far as I'm concerned. Since the subchannels created by the cable companies are totally independant from the subchannels created by the broadcasters, situations arise where the two conflict.

In my area, Comcast often combines two HD streams and/or multiple SD streams
from different digital broadcast stations on the same physical channel. For instance PBS channel 22 and ABC channel 13 are combined on QAM channel 125.
However only the PSIP information for channel 13 is included. This caused no problem for my old SIR-t451. It just left the stations where they were and all stations were accessable. However, the 260F sees the PSIP info, maps the channel to 13 and ignores channel 22 completely. There's no way I can point it to
physical channel 125 without it immediately going to 13.
post #555 of 3649 Old 12-19-2006, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Skeptic Tank,

Thanks for the info. I am somewhat familiar with PSIP in the OTA environment, but I have no knowledge of how PSIP plays in the cable environment.

I would have guessed that the channel mapping from cable would have come from the cable company-inserted data stream (somehow--I don't know how) and would have been specific to their channel assignments from a given head end.

Even without cable company intervention, PSIP data transmitted with a DTV signal essentially tells the receiver which logical channel they have chosen, which typically matches their OTA channel number as a base and then adds a subchannel number with it.

I will have to dig around some more to see if I can't come up with some technical description of how cable company channel mapping works, with or without a cable card or cabel company STB.

Dave
post #556 of 3649 Old 12-19-2006, 10:52 PM

Hows the longevity on this unit? Some of you reported problems of the unit just dying... others had problems with the unit resetting at Ch.34 (fixed by unplugging... still lame though).

Follow-ups are appreciated!
post #557 of 3649 Old 12-19-2006, 11:05 PM

Liked: 13
In case anyone is looking in the Seattle area, Circuit City just received a few at their Everett and Bellevue stores. Just order mine after months of hit or miss. Good luck!
post #558 of 3649 Old 12-20-2006, 09:24 AM

I've had mine on order at Best Buy for 3 week's, should be here today or tomorrow. Will this output from HDMI and component simultaniously. I would like to feed a hdtv signal to a 57" crt tv on HDMI, and a projector on component.
post #559 of 3649 Old 12-20-2006, 09:26 AM

Sorry, I have a newbie question regarding QAM tuning.

Does it mean that I won't have to subscribe to cable if I have this tuner ? Or just that once subscribed, I won't have to pay for their digital box rental fees?
post #560 of 3649 Old 12-20-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvbc View Post

Will this output from HDMI and component simultaniously. I would like to feed a hdtv signal to a 57" crt tv on HDMI, and a projector on component.

it won't. There is a switch on the back of this unit to select HDMI or Component Video. So far I preffer Component Video to HDMI on my Pioneer Pro-730HDi. Previously with 451 I was using DVI-HDMI.
post #561 of 3649 Old 12-20-2006, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Concerning QAM, with most cable systems, you first have to have a cable feed -
then, if your television set has a tuner that will work with QAM signals,
you will not need a digital box.
post #562 of 3649 Old 12-20-2006, 11:01 AM

dbong1021,
QAM let you watch unscrambled digital channels (typically local and some telemarketing channels) assuming you have active cable subscription. Some people got lucky and are able to watch premium channels but it all depends on your cable provider. It won't replace digital cable box, but may let you watch local HD channels without having antenna connected (may save you money if you have poor reception).
I had a bad luck talking to Comcast regarding unscramled broadcast (spoke to 3 people) for QAM. None of them had any clue of what is being offered.
post #563 of 3649 Old 12-20-2006, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
dbong1021 -
having an ATSC tuner like the Samsung unit means you can tune the digital TV signals broadcast free "over the air" (OTA) by your local TV stations. Since the Samsung also has a separate QAM tuner, you can also tune the non-encrypted digital channels on your local cable TV if you get the basic cable service. You don't have to have cable to tune the free local broadcasters. check www.antennaweb.org and see what digital TV is broadcast in your area.
post #564 of 3649 Old 12-20-2006, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing I wish the Samsung had which my Pioneer has is a number associated with signal strength in addition to the bars.

I had a situation this morning where I was not sure if I was seeing zero bars or 100 percent filled bars.

The station I was selecting popped up with a text message saying "No Signal or weak signal" but than a fraction of a second later up pops the stations with no break ups.

I than checked signal strength and thought I was seeing zero signal strength when in fact I was actually seeing full strength on the bars.

-DonB2
post #565 of 3649 Old 12-20-2006, 03:25 PM

Awesome, thanks guys! Hope to try this out soon
post #566 of 3649 Old 12-20-2006, 03:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

This stb has better attributes, but they did short change it (or us) in a number of areas. I consider it "almost" basic. But still,!!!! It's more stable than my previous 4 tuners.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #567 of 3649 Old 12-20-2006, 03:41 PM

I have a question.

Let's concentrate on OTA programs.

Is there any benefits of getting this receiver and outputting digital programs to a standard TV that uses NTSC tuner? Is digital signal stronger? Will picture quality improve over analog signal?

TIA.
post #568 of 3649 Old 12-20-2006, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't know about this particular tuner, but before I got my first HDTV, I connected my
Sony DirecTV digital tuner to my Standard Definition television set. I used it not only for my satellite reception, but also for its ability to deliver over-the-air digital reception.

The quality difference was clearly seen. I had never gotten such a sharp picture on my Standard Definition TV as I did when feeding it with a digital tuner.

I would imagine the same would hold true with the Samsung ATSC tuner.

Well worth it!
post #569 of 3649 Old 12-20-2006, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

It looks better over video or s video connection. Your regular tuner doesn't matter, you'll connect by video or s vid or component or hdmi. The reception is more stable than analog.
This Samsung IS or will be your tuner. If you're sure reception is not a problem, a tuner with more features is the way to go. Read previous posts.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #570 of 3649 Old 12-20-2006, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Anyone have this problem ?

When I delete a channel from the All Channel List, after a few minutes of surfing about, the channel comes back (I surf right into it) and it is not longer listed as Deleted anymore.

I can only 'guess' at this is it's a weak channel and it disappears on it's own and then reappears, thus resetting it into the List. I have about ten channels that are on for a while then disappear for a while. It's ironic that the channel in question is Sprout !

* I'm connected to Comcast, getting in the Clear channels.

Update: The STB has also added channels to the All Channels List on it's own that were not previously there from the original scan - I had made a list.

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page