Old 01-03-2007, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbudworth View Post

Does anyone know what the QAM channel range is on the H260. When I do a scan for QAM, the lowest channel is 116, from the looks of it on another forum, all of my QAM channels are below the 116, in the range from 80-115 channels.
Thanks in advance.
DB

The manual sez it goes up thru Cable CH135, which is about 860 MHz. However, many cable systems are
constrained to 750 MHz, which would max out at CH116....which explains most QAM channel reports...

PS: A few cable systems are upgrading to 1000 MHz...which would be an unreceivable CH158....
Let's hope they don't put unencrypted channels up that high...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2007, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by keric View Post

My question is "Will the Samsung improve my reception to a point where I'll be able to get the desired stations even if AntennaWeb does not show these stations available?"

*The stations that I want are available about 10-20 miles away according to AntennaWeb.

I am in a basement apartment, on the backside of a hill and channels that were previously only getting 2 to 3 bars are now getting 5 to 6 thanks to the DTB-H260F. Of course, YMMV!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I have found the QAM channels now, must have stopped it early or did something wrong the first time I scanned for them. I don't understand why I would want to use this receiver to get the QAM channels.

I currently subscribe to the digital package my cable company provides. Now if I would just subscribe to the basic package would I loose some of my QAM channels then?

The H260 is kind of annoying to use as a QAM tuner because I have no idea what channels are what, they don't map them to the same channel number that is displayed on the TVguide channel. Also the H260 guide does not display any info about what is being aired on that channel either. So I don't see a benefit for using this as a QAM tuner other than picking up a few Video on Demand channels. My cable company provides a free digital receiver that I can use the guide to find out what is currently on each channel. So I don't see why I would want to use this receiver to get QAM channels. If I am missing something here, please fill me in. I don't really understand QAM all that much.

Also the QAM tuner does not seem to display as clear of a picture as the Motorola digital receiver that my cable company provided for me.
I bought the H260 to pick of free OTA channels and to cancel me cable anyways, which I am very have with the OTA tuner. Works great. Depending on weather conditions I can pick up 30+ OTA channels for free with a multi-directional antenna with some channels being 55 miles away.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

I'll add a quick thumbs up on this one. I decided to upgrade my old SIRT-165 after I began losing stations (I live in a very remote location).

It took 5 BB/CC stops to find one (after a computer search showed ONE at a CC about 50 miles away). I was hoping to get it hooked up to watch last nights bowl game on Fox (the channel I lost on my old tuner), but got a long delay when I stopped by work (I thought I was on vacation, but stuff happens).

I managed to hook it up just before turning in for the night, and did a quick search for channels. Much better than the old tuner. Fox is back, so I can watch the Sugar Bowl tonight!

Still have to make the connections better/permanent, but very happy at this point.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:56 AM

This is very much par for the course when it comes to QAM. There's no mapping of frequency to logical channel like with a real cable box, so the everything is in semi-random locations.

As for who would want to use things this way. Not all cable companies give out digital boxes for free (mine doesn't). So if you can put up the quirks, it's one way to get the basic channels without giving any more money to the cable company.

Quote:

The H260 is kind of annoying to use as a QAM tuner because I have no idea what channels are what, they don't map them to the same channel number that is displayed on the TVguide channel. .

Old 01-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry for the repost - but I think my question may have been missed due to the time it was originally posted.

Question - I have a Sony Wega TV (KV-27FV17, analog, standard def) with component video inputs (Y,PB,PR). The TV can only display 480i, and cannot display 480p.
Can the H260 Samsung output in 480i through the component video outputs? This would be especially helpful to me as it would be the only way I could view the menus .

Jay

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
Old 01-03-2007, 02:59 PM

How do i get my hands on one of these units i have looked everywhere and nobody has them in stock. I have put my name on the list at B&H but they don;t know how long it will take.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

Sorry for the repost - but I think my question may have been missed due to the time it was originally posted.

Question - I have a Sony Wega TV (KV-27FV17, analog, standard def) with component video inputs (Y,PB,PR). The TV can only display 480i, and cannot display 480p.
Can the H260 Samsung output in 480i through the component video outputs? This would be especially helpful to me as it would be the only way I could view the menus .

Jay

Thru Component inputs is the only way the menus can be seen and the Samsung has 480i output as well as 480p,720p and 1080i.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Jay

The component outputs are selectable via a switch for 480p/720p/1080i only. 480i is available only on the S-video and composite outputs according to the manual. The manual is available as a PDF on the Samsung site under Support.

http://www.samsung.com/support/produ...e=UM&language=

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

And 480i, page 11. Item 10. Resolution select.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
Old 01-03-2007, 05:19 PM

What is the purpose of the air+cable button in scanning and how do you use it? I understand the single air button and the single cable button...

TIA
Old 01-03-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

And 480i, page 11. Item 10. Resolution select.

To quote the manual: under resolution select: 480i " Use this setting for a conventional TV with regular video, S-Video or component video inputs"
Old 01-03-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Jay

I have this same model and it works fine with the menus using the component video inputs.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...0414A_book.pdf
and you can see the gui.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Granted, if your tv doesn't have component, you're menus less. There might be some work arounds?

Old 01-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

I've read the manual, and it's not perfectly clear.
Quote from the manual on page 11: "You can connect Y, PB, and PR to a TV or another video
component input. As with DTV OUT, 1080i (interlaced
scanning), 720p (progressive scanning), and 480p are
available by setting the RESOLUTION SELECT switch. This
output port supports SD and high definition (HD)."

Then further on the same page at says "SD=Standard Definition (480i)"

So it would seem like the component outputs do output in 480i when that is selected as your resolution.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I currently subscribe to the digital package my cable company provides. Now if I would just subscribe to the basic package would I loose some of my QAM channels then?

No, they would still be there, although the DTB-H260F will tune the QAM unencrypted channels and you'd probably have to use the tuner on your set to get the regular (analog?) cable channels.

Quote:

My cable company provides a free digital receiver that I can use the guide to find out what is currently on each channel. So I don't see why I would want to use this receiver to get QAM channels. If I am missing something here, please fill me in. I don't really understand QAM all that much.

If you already have a receiver from your cable company then you probably do not need this set top box. My older Samsung 26" TX doesn't receive QAM channels.

Quote:

Also the QAM tuner does not seem to display as clear of a picture as the Motorola digital receiver that my cable company provided for me.
I bought the H260 to pick of free OTA channels and to cancel me cable anyways, which I am very have with the OTA tuner. Works great. Depending on weather conditions I can pick up 30+ OTA channels for free with a multi-directional antenna with some channels being 55 miles away.

My OTA channels display better through the DTB-H260F than through my Samsung...again YMMV!
Old 01-03-2007, 07:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I've read the manual, and it's not perfectly clear.
Quote from the manual on page 11: "You can connect Y, PB, and PR to a TV or another video
component input. As with DTV OUT, 1080i (interlaced
scanning), 720p (progressive scanning), and 480p are
available by setting the RESOLUTION SELECT switch. This
output port supports SD and high definition (HD)."

Then further on the same page at says "SD=Standard Definition (480i)"

So it would seem like the component outputs do output in 480i when that is selected as your resolution.

That's item 6 on page 11, Read Item 10 last "dot". "480i" It's clear you can select from 1080i,720p, 480p, AND 480i. And then there's the actual rear of the unit. Four positions.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a Sammy 260F, and it certainly can output 480i thru component video. Just make sure the rear switches are set to 480i and Y/Pb/Pr (or whatever it is, just not the "HDMI" setting).
Old 01-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks to all those who responded to my question. I had read several online reviews of this product, and several said a weakness of the unit was that it could only display menus in HD. Now I know that's not really the case, the real issue is that many SD TVs don't have component inputs. Lucky for me, mine does.
Now the search begins for where to find one at the best price...

Jay

Old 01-04-2007, 02:16 PM

I had this unit for four days, so far so good, last evening, when I was watching HDTV, I am trying to change channels in hurry and, suddenly, the unit went to some kind of unit reset I think, it just lost all the channels and nothing on the TV, I have to power it off then power back on to get everything back. have any one seen this?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

BellStone , With QAM I have but can't remember if it happened with OTA.

-DonB2
Old 01-04-2007, 09:01 PM

Is there any way to get ESPN in HD with this tuner?!?!

Correct me if I am wrong, but considering I already receive Comcast standard cable and it only costs $5 a month more to add HDTV service, did I just waste almost $200 on the Samsung 260?
Old 01-05-2007, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
In my area, Comcast charges $6.75/month for their HD with local channels only. I guess they give you a set top box with that. I don't see any need to pay for that package when the DTB-H260F will do the same thing by getting less compressed ATSC OTA, or decoding the QAM off the analog feed. I figure the $180 Samsung will have paid for itself and start saving money after a year and 3 months.

The Digital Classic package at $55.64/month gives you the HD channels ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, Discovery, MTV, and NHD1 in addition to the local HD channels. I don't watch any of those other than my occasional nationally broadcasted Hokie game on ESPN or ESPN2 in the fall. It's not worth paying almost $700 a year when the majority of my viewing is primetime shows that are OTA.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:57 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatan666 View Post

Is there any way to get ESPN in HD with this tuner?!?!

Correct me if I am wrong, but considering I already receive Comcast standard cable and it only costs $5 a month more to add HDTV service, did I just waste almost $200 on the Samsung 260?

If you cableco puts ESPN HD in the clear, it can tune it. In my county, Comcast is now putting ESPNHD and TNTHD in the clear along with the HD locals. This is a recent development and I'm expecting them to disappear any day now.

There's really no point in calling and asking your cableco what you can get in the clear. The rep probably won't even know what QAM is, and has been trained to tell customers they need to get HD service for any HD at all.

"Real Stupidiy beats Artificial Intelligence every time" - Douglas Adams

The canine couch warmers: Dakota "Derp Dog" Jones, Gadget (the gidget widget), Dixie Marie-Doodle, Ronnie James, and Carl
The feline overlords: My wife, a.k.a. "Kitten", Sweet Pea, The Poof, Fat Tony, and David "Babycat" Tennant.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I noticed one issue this morning when attempting to watch Girls Morning America. The signal dropped out because of rain when it came back up the Samsung info on the station reappears on the screen. It is bad enough having a station drop out and than come back on but I don't need to see the channel and other info reappear on the screen also.

-DonB2
Old 01-05-2007, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Question on the cable pass through. If you are not using the pass through should it be terminated? Typically it is best practice to terminate any unused Coax connections but I don't know if this applies to pass thru connectors.

-DonB2
Old 01-05-2007, 12:02 PM

When I connect my 260 tuner to comcast in CABLE mode, I receive the local channels in HD as well as a handful of other channels. However, if I try using the GUIDE to browse the programs on the channels, it doesn't work. No information shows for any channels. On the other hand, the GUIDE does work when I connect to an antenna. Does anyone else experience the same thing? or if anyone knows of a solution to this?

-T
Old 01-05-2007, 12:26 PM

I just found that the DTB-H260F's are in stock at CC so I finally ordered one that will actually get to me quickly. That's after waiting 2 weeks for another place that wouldn't give me any updates other than "we recommend you cancel your order".

Woo! I can hardly wait till next Wednesday when it arrives. I think I should get my new TV about then also.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:41 PM

Did you order online? I can't find one of these things anywhere locally (Atlanta Georgia area).

Phil G
American by birth, Mac user by choice.