Old 01-10-2007, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofster View Post

So sad. I just got my CC order in today, plugged it in and the little blue light just sits there blinking. When I push power, it just blinks brighter.

AKA this box is DOA! I've never had new equipment be DOA. Called Samsung and the lady tells me some people think this box doesn't exist. Great, thanks.

Same here, almost. Got mine yesterday. Tried several power outlets. Sometimes the power light doesn't go on at all -- sometimes there's a feeble irregular winking. No signal coming out the RGB connectors. Aside from the power light, no sign of life at all.

I called Circuit City. Since I can't exchange it (as we know they're out of stock), the CSR told me she'd have to submit an "incident report" and someone would phone me about getting an address label to return the tuner. She gave me a "case number".

Greg Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2007, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitty View Post

Can somebody help me? I want to have both my uhf/vhf (air) and my cable tv going into the same input on this box so I can use the QAM for the cable and the HD for over the air. The box has a Air + Cable searching mode so I would think you can have both hooked up. I just am confused due to the one input.
Thanks in advanced

Should feed your cable and your OTA signal feeds to the DTB-H269F. Actually the way I did it was to feed one cable and one OTA signal to the box and then all that gets fed to one of my inputs on the set. I split off a second cable feed to send to the 2nd input on my set and I'm all good. In other words, OTA and QAM go through the box and to input 1 and standard (analog?) cable goes to input 2.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverplace View Post

Yes, you are reading it correctly. antenna plugs in the "Antenna Out" connector works just fine on my unit for quite some time now...
Now, would someone with real knowledge in this field explain this for the rest of us...

I can't explain that; when I used it as a pass-through for the cable, it was clearly amplifying the signal. Well, more precisely, it seemed to be "de-attenuating" it. When the unit was turned on, analog cable came in fine, when the 260 was off, analog signal quality dropped severely.

I haven't tried attaching to the "antenna out" yet - busy painting the laundry room last night. But I'll give it a try for grins. Plus, that does give me an idea or two. What if I use the HDMI-to-DVI cable (which should come any day now) for the output to the TV... and stick the cable on one coax socket, and an antenna on the other one? Would the "Air+Cable" scan mode work then?

I'd need a splitter for that so the analog cable made it to the TV, but it would be interesting to see if it worked...
Old 01-11-2007, 09:14 AM

J&R took my online order and stated that it should ship today or tomorrow. We shall see.

How come Samsung can stock one dealer and none of the others? I've been watching won-call now for a month, and they can't even estimate a delivery date. Same with the suggested etailers listed at Samsung's web site.

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie
Old 01-11-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

"Well, more precisely, it seemed to be "de-attenuating" it. When the unit was turned on, analog cable came in fine, when the 260 was off, analog signal quality dropped severely"

I forgot that is what you told us.

I finally decided to run my antenna directly to the Samsung first. So as to cut out all issues that could cut down signal strength.

This appears to have allowed me to get all the stations that before I needed two antennas with an A/B switch to get with my Pioneer PDP - 4340HD.

I have been toying with using the antenna out of the Samsung as the input to my Pioneer.

But number one I am concerned this may pull my antenna signal level down too much and number two it looks like I will need the Samsung powered on all the time to watch analog or digital OTA via the Pioneer.

Of course this will solve the issue I mentioned in an earlier post about the Samsung remote not getting the power on/off signal to my Samsung through my Radio Shack wireless Infrared repeater.

-DonB2
Old 01-11-2007, 11:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls View Post

J&R took my online order and stated that it should ship today or tomorrow. We shall see.

How come Samsung can stock one dealer and none of the others? I've been watching won-call now for a month, and they can't even estimate a delivery date. Same with the suggested etailers listed at Samsung's web site.

I got one successfully some time ago, but every time I go into an electronics store now, I check to see if they have any on the shelf so I can post it here.

Finding one is a lot like Whack-a-Mole. One store will have a couple in stock, then they disappear, then another store will have them. It doesn't seem to correlate well with what shows on the company's web site with respect to it being at the local store, so I suggest that if it is convenient to get to a CC (they tend to have them more than others) to just stop in from time to time and I think you would be surprised at how often they have one or two on the shelf.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:45 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

I ordered from J&R yesterday and received it today ! Paid extra for quick delivery . The unit is great but I'm having trouble getting a solid signal on the networks .

ANYONE USING THIS IN NYC? I'd like to know what antenna you're using .
Old 01-11-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

AJF,

At least you have a functioning unit. I feel bad for these other posters with DOA units.

-DonB2
Old 01-11-2007, 12:16 PM
AJF
Advanced Member

Old 01-11-2007, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget_HT View Post

See page 36 of your manual for how to set your audio output for PCM instead of Dolby Digital. Your HDTV likely does not have a Dolby Digital decoder (most do not).

Is there any drawback to PCM v. Dolby Digital?

Is there any alternative hookup to separate audio from video via HDMI/DVI? My Sony TV has DVI input (don't know about Dolby Digital decoder - have to look that up), and my audio receiver has Dolby Digital decoder and digital optical and coax inputs.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrod1 View Post

I've also read that there are ATSC tuners that go in a computer but a quick search of Newegg was unsuccessful.

Check the HDPC forum, Linux area. Since I timeshift almost all of my viewing, I was considering a Tivo S3 with 1 or 2 of these STBs, but I think I'll go the way of an HDPC instead for flexibility, storage, and cost reasons. I posted a question and someone replied that ATSC tuner cards are as cheap as $20 and ATSC/QAM cards go for $75. I also saw a thread where a 486 processor is all you need for a basic HDPC! (Not sure if that was for ATSC or NTSC, but I just started looking into it and have a lot more research to do.)
Old 01-11-2007, 04:25 PM

Does anyone use universal remote to program H260F? I am using Harmony and there is no discrete power on/off in the database.

I bought this from J&R. The reception is great in LA area with indoor antenna. I connect to Dell 2407FPW with hdmi-dvi cable and the picture quality is perfect with 720p. Previously I used Fusion 3 Gold HDTV card in my computer and this one give the same quality video but with more solid signal reception. Plus I finally can use the remote!
Old 01-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

Is there any alternative hookup to separate audio from video via HDMI/DVI? My Sony TV has DVI input (don't know about Dolby Digital decoder - have to look that up), and my audio receiver has Dolby Digital decoder and digital optical and coax inputs.

DVI protocol doesn't support sound. So if your sony tv doesn't have HDMI input and you'd like to use digital connection for picture then you'll have to run analog cables along with your HDMI/DVI cable. If you plan on using your receiver with external speakers for sound then simply use Toslink (digital optical) on samsung box.

I preferred DVI/HDMI connection on my old samsung box 451, and with 260 component video looks much better then HDMI/HDMI. Colors looked wash out with HDMI. I tried changing saturation and tint on my TV but it doesn't seem to help.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

Yes, there is a drawback to PCM. Two channel PCM will not generally sound as good as 6 channel Dolby Digital 5.1. So you probably want to hook up the optical digital sound output of the Samsung HDTV tuner to the optical digital input of your audio receiver.

Greg Lee
Old 01-11-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppa206 View Post

Should feed your cable and your OTA signal feeds to the DTB-H269F. Actually the way I did it was to feed one cable and one OTA signal to the box and then all that gets fed to one of my inputs on the set. I split off a second cable feed to send to the 2nd input on my set and I'm all good. In other words, OTA and QAM go through the box and to input 1 and standard (analog?) cable goes to input 2.

There is only one input on my Samsung DTB-H260F ATSC tuner, which is a coaxial input.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizhu View Post

Does anyone use universal remote to program H260F? I am using Harmony and there is no discrete power on/off in the database.

I bought this from J&R. The reception is great in LA area with indoor antenna. I connect to Dell 2407FPW with hdmi-dvi cable and the picture quality is perfect with 720p. Previously I used Fusion 3 Gold HDTV card in my computer and this one give the same quality video but with more solid signal reception. Plus I finally can use the remote!

Give Harmony tech support a call....they probably have a fix already...

Users can input new codes into the database via the code "learning" process,
whereby your Harmony can receive the ON/OFF code from the Samsung R/C.
The Harmony tech can walk you through this if you need help...
Old 01-12-2007, 12:50 AM

I recently bought a DTB-H260F at my local CC. It has a strange problem of going from solid 7-8bars of signal on the OSD to zero and right back to 7-8bars. This occurs at various intervals from every 30seconds to once an hour. Of course when this happens the video freezes or drops all together. I am getting around 20+ channels and this seems to occur on all of them. The analog UHF seems to be coming through rock solid. I was suspecting outside interfer as this seems to happen more often in the day then at night, but it happens on all channels. Any guesses as to what the problem is or should I do an exchange at CC. I live in the Orange County California area. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitty View Post

There is only one input on my Samsung DTB-H260F ATSC tuner, which is a coaxial input.

Oops, knew I forgot something. I took the cable feed and my OTA feed cables and ran them through an A/B switch and THEN to the DTB-H260F and then out of the STB to my Samsung set. Fortunately my set has 2 inputs on it so I could have QAM and OTA through the set top box and the 2nd input is used for analog cable. This (or a variation of it) might work for you.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claflash View Post

I recently bought a DTB-H260F at my local CC. It has a strange problem of going from solid 7-8bars of signal on the OSD to zero and right back to 7-8bars. This occurs at various intervals from every 30seconds to once an hour. Of course when this happens the video freezes or drops all together. I am getting around 20+ channels and this seems to occur on all of them. The analog UHF seems to be coming through rock solid. I was suspecting outside interfer as this seems to happen more often in the day then at night, but it happens on all channels. Any guesses as to what the problem is or should I do an exchange at CC. I live in the Orange County California area. Thanks in advance.

I'm inclined to think its not the box. Are you using cable or is everything OTA?
Old 01-12-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:

I'm using the Sony RM-VL600 with learning capabilities which works great once you get everything programmed into it. Time-consuming but worth it.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppa206 View Post

I'm inclined to think its not the box. Are you using cable or is everything OTA?

I don't really think it is the box. This is the 2nd antenna I've tried (both the same model though). All my signals are OTA, I'm using a Phillips MANT510 with 50db Amplification. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by claflash View Post

I don't really think it is the box. This is the 2nd antenna I've tried (both the same model though). All my signals are OTA, I'm using a Phillips MANT510 with 50db Amplification. Any ideas? Thanks

50db!! Unless you live 150 miles from the towers and your nearest neighbor is 10 miles away, you have WAY too much amplification and I would bet you are overloading the crap out of your receiver and that is probably why your receiver is barfing. In digital TV too much amplification means little to no decodable signal due to overload of the tuner. In most urban areas, 15 db is really all you need or your system can handle. If you really have a 50db amp, I would change it out to something more reasonable in gain and start there.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post

I preferred DVI/HDMI connection on my old samsung box 451, and with 260 component video looks much better then HDMI/HDMI. Colors looked wash out with HDMI. I tried changing saturation and tint on my TV but it doesn't seem to help.

Huh. The HDMI-to-DVI cable I ordered arrived yesterday and I installed it when I got home. However, I didn't have the chance to do detailed comparisons between component and DVI. I should this weekend, and I'll pay some attention to the colors.

I'm hooking it to a Syntax Olevia LT32HV, and I did notice a few differences. The LT32HV is a 1366x768 LCD panel, and when connected via component the 720p signal from the H260F had small black bars at the top and bottom. So far as I can tell it was probably (slightly) letterboxing the component signal. When connected via HDMI/DVI, the signal filled the screen.

This is both good and bad. HD programs look good, of course. Whatever scaling the LT32HV is using works well. However, SD content seems to have a line of 'noise' at the top of the screen. (I suspect it's the normally-concealed closed-captioning data.) Second, while watching "ER" last night, it seemed that the very far left column of pixels were solid yellow. I didn't have a chance to do any detailed tweaking... one doesn't disturb my wife when she's watching ER.

Another thing I will have to experiment with: what should I set the 'resolution' switch on the back of the H260F to? Considering my TV, the obvious choice is of course 720p. Still, I wonder if maybe the scaler in the TV can do some special tricks to show a little extra data on that 1366x768 screen from the 1080i signal? But then, for the shows that are 720p, does the H260F switch to displaying the progressive output? Or does it effectively put out '720i'?

I did try (for less than two minutes) setting the resolution switch to 1080i. I didn't have enough time to really see a difference, but I was a little disturbed to see the TV flash the resolution as "1920x540"... not "1920x1080". What the heck?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I scanned through half this thread and saw someone else ask this, but no answer.

1. Does this receiver have two sets of memories for OTA and cable (without doing a rescan) using a external A/B switch to watch OTA and cable?
2. There is no NTSC tuner, either OTA or cable, correct?
3. Anyone use this on a analog 4x3 set? How is 16x9 and 4x3 materail displayed?

4. Most important; anyone that has a mix of very strong (as in 6-8 miles away) and very weak (as in 40 or 50 miles) signals in the same direction have good results with this??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You mean two separate controls, not a toggle, right? I looked in the upgrade file in the files area at the JP1 forum and found only the power toggle (which is EFC 209).

Greg Lee
Old 01-12-2007, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

1. Does this receiver have two sets of memories for OTA and cable (without doing a rescan) using a external A/B switch to watch OTA and cable?
2. There is no NTSC tuner, either OTA or cable, correct?

I recall reading somewhere that it does have two memories, but I can't find that in the manual. There's no NTSC tuner.

Greg Lee
Old 01-12-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally I connect this Samsung tuner directly to my projector. The picture looked OK but was kind of washed out. I tried the best to calibrate the projector but the picture wasn't that impressive.

Then I bought a simple HDMI switch selector with an assortment of HDMI, DVI cables, adapter, etc, to connect both this Samsung and the DVD player to the projector.

Upon turing on the Samsung, I was blown away by the picture quality. That was what HD should be: detailed, deep contrast, etc.

Note that it was the same tuner, same antenna, same projector, same settings on the projector. The only thing changed was the HDMI switch in between the source and the projector with a bunch of added cables, which technically should degrade the quality, not make it looks better. But it did. Significantly better.

I thought it is a digital signal. Either you have it or not. If you have it, it is the same quality. Can someone help me explaining this?

River
Old 01-12-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

"
Originally Posted by videobruce
2. There is no NTSC tuner, either OTA or cable, correct?"

It appears to have two memories. One for OTA channels and the other for QAM channels. You toggle between the two with the button on the top of the remote.

To take advantage of both you need to use a A/B switch with Cable on A and OTA on B and that switch between the two when you also press the button on the top of the remote.

I guess than the Samsung says I am in QAM expect the cable connected to the INPUT to B from Cable.

I am in OTA expect the cable to be from an antenna.

It is clumbsy Samsung should have provided separate F connectors one for CABLE/QAM input and the other for OTA ATSC in.

The manual is confusing. In the very beginning when they talk about HD they say that this unit will not work with cable but in deed it does.

-DonB2
Old 01-12-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

If someone in Raleigh NC is looking for a unit , I saw one at the Circuit City off of 15 501.

The salesperson basically said to me when I asked if he had anymore. "what is that doing out?" It is suppose to be in our warehouse.

This could explain why we don't see too many on shelves.

In fact this unit was piled on top of the Direct TV receivers.

-DonB2
Old 01-12-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJF View Post

I ordered from J&R yesterday and received it today ! Paid extra for quick delivery . The unit is great but I'm having trouble getting a solid signal on the networks .

ANYONE USING THIS IN NYC? I'd like to know what antenna you're using .

I'm using a Phillips PHDTV1 Silver Sensor indoor antenna in southeast Queens. I get everything except NBC. Check out the New York OTA Local HDTV Info and Reception thread.