post #811 of 3649 Old 01-15-2007, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

For a complete list of all digital TV stations - although it will take a little work to figure out the corresponding analog channel #s, go to the FCC TV database at http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html. Select Digital TV under Service, enter your long and latitude and show ALL digital stations within a radius, say 120 km. You will get a summary list dump of the station call letters, DT channel, status, broadcast power and antenna height. Click on the link for the details on the station.

This list will also tell you the azimuth (direction) of each station from your location, which you obviously need to find out at some point.

If you already know which stations are in which directions, you can use the following lists:

Tentative Digital Channel Designations for Stations Participating in the First and Second Rounds of the DTV Channel Election Process: PDF format or Excel format

Third Round of the DTV Channel Election Process: Tentative Channel Designations: PDF format or Excel format

The column "Current DTV Channel" is the one you want. The first and second round list contains most stations; the third round list contains the relatively few stations that didn't have their final (post 2009-02-17) channels settled in the first two rounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3649 Old 01-15-2007, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss55 View Post

I appreciate the advice but do you all have specifically the DTB-H260F. I have tried the same but when placing in the new station number it just keeps saying no signal.

Did you do it the way I suggested?
post #813 of 3649 Old 01-15-2007, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

That's more than what I went through, but I know most of my stations and their designations. I scanned in the direction with most, made sure they're added, then moved the antenna in the direction of other stations, input station, came up on screen then did the rest in the same manner. No additional rescan because it resets the memory. Never disconnected antenna. But you never know.

Once you have a list of all the stations you can get, you dont need to scan at all! Just enter the 2 digit number. (55 57 59 etc) and the tuner will do the rest. Don't enter 22 trying to get 22-1. Channel 22-1 may show as 53 or 55 while scanning. Enter 53 or 55 or what ever, and the 22-1 station will appear. If you scan without the antenna to erase all the channels, and enter them manually, you have the option of never having the out of range stations or stations in a different language show in your guide.
post #814 of 3649 Old 01-15-2007, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is a rather complicated way to get the actual digital channel #s for all the stations. I think the receivers should display this information somewhere on the menu options, but there are much easier ways to get the info. Start with antennaweb.org, enter your zip code, enter a height - say 1000', 1500' - for the antenna under the options link and display digital stations only. Cut and paste the list into a document and print it.

For a complete list of all digital TV stations - although it will take a little work to figure out the corresponding analog channel #s, go to the FCC TV database at http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html. Select Digital TV under Service, enter your long and latitude and show ALL digital stations within a radius, say 120 km. You will get a summary list dump of the station call letters, DT channel, status, broadcast power and antenna height. Click on the link for the details on the station.

I guess my description makes it sound complicated, but it's very easy to do.
post #815 of 3649 Old 01-16-2007, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeupnlive View Post

I purchased the samsung tuner from the CC website....

The tuner is stronger than the other ATSC tuners I've used (I get more channels), but the most important factor to me is the speed at which it can change channels. My other tuners took a few seconds each time you pressed channel up/down. This tuner only takes a second. The remote also works well. The other nice feature is the Favorite Channels list, which can include specific subchannels and not just the primary channels (or whatever you call them). I'm using QAM, by the way. If only I could get Guide information (that's not the receivers fault of course, since the data simply isn't available), this would be perfect.

If anyone is thinking about getting one of these, I would recommend it.

Thanks for your input wakeupnlive.
I have been looking for a better HDTV tuner out there for about a year. Your review covered the problems I have been experiencing with past tuners. I've tried the Samsung SIRTS360 (very slow) and have the Samsung SIRT451 which is better, but not perfect. My issues was with OTA multipathing and the tuner's response time for changing the channels. I also get a very slight green hue in dark settings on all the channels when using HDMI (not sure if that is a tuner or TV problem). Sounds like the DTB-H260F tuner takes care of both. Thanks again, now I'll have to buy one.
post #816 of 3649 Old 01-16-2007, 04:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

For a complete list of all digital TV stations - although it will take a little work to figure out the corresponding analog channel #s, go to the FCC

Be sure to bring your attorney along to figure all the legal mumble jumbo.

In the mean time;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7625830

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #817 of 3649 Old 01-16-2007, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

kbgl,

Your yellow post is impossible to read for members who have set the default page style to AVS White (style settings at bottom left of this page).

I will try to change it. I tried to highlight a few words, but ended up changing the font on all of it.

Fixed it ! Thanks for pointing out the style settings arxaw!
post #818 of 3649 Old 01-16-2007, 07:20 AM

Okay, my digital electronics is a bit rusty, but is there some reason I can't use a diplexer to combine the cable and antenna inputs upstream of the tuner instead of using an A/B coax switch? Has anyone tried this? They're different frequencies and diplexers are available for this purpose...

I'd appreciate any input on this--I'd prefer to put on my dunce cap than have another useless electronic component sitting in the basement

Frank
post #819 of 3649 Old 01-16-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You can't easily diplex OTA and cable channels because they use some of the same frequencies. Use and A/B switch.

Some satellite & OTA signals can be diplexed with a sat/ota diplexor.
post #820 of 3649 Old 01-16-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

OK I am a dreamer but what the heck.

My dream is the USB port on the Samsung. Wouldn't it be great if you could just slap a external USB Hardrive on that port and record away.

Ok sorry for the dream, but this is the day after MLK day

-DonB2
post #821 of 3649 Old 01-16-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

This is a rather complicated way to get the actual digital channel #s for all the stations. I think the receivers should display this information somewhere on the menu options, but there are much easier ways to get the info. Start with antennaweb.org, enter your zip code, enter a height - say 1000', 1500' - for the antenna under the options link and display digital stations only. Cut and paste the list into a document and print it.

1. Because www.antennaweb.org predictions tend to be overly "conservative",
the higher antenna trick is usually needed to find most of the stations you can actually receive.
However, a lower antenna height (100-300 feet) may be a closer approximation to what you actually receive.
Note that antennaweb tends to overlook nearby low power stations--which could prevent the use of a Preamp.

2. The www.2150.com/broadcast query provides a wealth of useful infomation,
but if you click on the four option boxes to include low power, analog and other stations,
you may have to limit the range severely in order to avoid the "excessive time for search" limitation.....
and then do an extended search without the option boxes checked.
PS: It's also a hassle to remember/determine/enter your position in DECIMAL LAT/LONG....

3. The various FCC TVQ "range" queries result in results that are TOO WIDE to print.
Note that you can also use Google (fcc tvq knbc) to quickly access the FCC database.

4. www.fccinfo.com is a much more flexible way to search FCC TVQ database and reports actually fit a page width
and should find those missing low power stations....it's my current favorite....

5. And if all you want is a list of TV/DTV stations in your area, including transmit power
and actual/virtual channel numbers, try the "quick list" feature:
http://radiostationworld.com/north_america.asp
Most (all?) of the low power stations are included in the list.
If you click on "F" for a given (analog) station, it will query the FCC TVQ database.
Since FCC database does not recognize "-DT" suffixes, clicking on digital station's "F" will not yield results.
post #822 of 3649 Old 01-16-2007, 03:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgl View Post

Once you have a list of all the stations you can get, you dont need to scan at all! Just enter the 2 digit number. (55 57 59 etc) and the tuner will do the rest. Don't enter 22 trying to get 22-1. Channel 22-1 may show as 53 or 55 while scanning. Enter 53 or 55 or what ever, and the 22-1 station will appear. If you scan without the antenna to erase all the channels, and enter them manually, you have the option of never having the out of range stations or stations in a different language show in your guide.

On mine, doesn't matter either way, input actual or virtual. Once it's added it maps to the virtual.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #823 of 3649 Old 01-16-2007, 03:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

OK I am a dreamer but what the heck.

My dream is the USB port on the Samsung. Wouldn't it be great if you could just slap a external USB Hardrive on that port and record away.

Ok sorry for the dream, but this is the day after MLK day

-DonB2

I've been wondering too. Usually service connects are specialized. One weekend I may get brave-especially when they're in stock.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #824 of 3649 Old 01-17-2007, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

2. The www.2150.com/broadcast query provides a wealth of useful infomation,
but if you click on the four option boxes to include low power, analog and other stations,
you may have to limit the range severely in order to avoid the "excessive time for search" limitation.....
and then do an extended search without the option boxes checked.
PS: It's also a hassle to remember/determine/enter your position in DECIMAL LAT/LONG....

A. I don't check the low power option,
B. I type in my lat. & long. within the bookmark I have for the site. I also have it written elsewhere for reference.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #825 of 3649 Old 01-17-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I had slight break up on my PBS channel 4.1 here in Raleigh, NC last night with the Samsung DTB -H260F.

Previous to this issue I was getting around 6 bars steady for this hardest to receive station.

Last night it went between 6 and zero signal strength.

There was a front moving through causing wind and cloudy conditions.

It is possible that I was getting bad multipath "worse than normal" from the wind.

-DonB2
post #826 of 3649 Old 01-17-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

On mine, doesn't matter either way, input actual or virtual. Once it's added it maps to the virtual.

I didn't try it the other way, but I can see that it does work. Bruss55 said that he got the "No Signal message" so I assumed that was the problem.
post #827 of 3649 Old 01-17-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
i am thinking of purchasing this unit and have some questions.

I have cox cable with the set top box and hd service. i want to eliminate the box and the extra monthly costs. I only need the local channels and espn and espn 2 to come in hd. if i go back to expanded basic and use the coax source from the wall to the unit, will i be able to get the channels mentioned above in HD? thanks in advance.
post #828 of 3649 Old 01-17-2007, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

... I have cox cable with the set top box and hd service. i want to eliminate the box and the extra monthly costs. I only need the local channels and espn and espn 2 to come in hd. if i go back to expanded basic and use the coax source from the wall to the unit, will i be able to get the channels mentioned above in HD?

You should be able to get the local broadcast HD channels with only cox expanded basic cable (analog), with the cable directly into the tuner. But unless cox has inadvertantly left ESPN/ESPN2 unscrambled in your area, you'll need either a rented HD STB from them, or a cable-card equipped tuner. And you'll have to subscribe to a higher priced tier of channels.
post #829 of 3649 Old 01-17-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

You should be able to get the local broadcast HD channels with only cox expanded basic cable (analog), with the cable directly into the tuner. But unless cox has inadvertantly left ESPN/ESPN2 unscrambled in your area, you'll need either a rented HD STB from them, or a cable-card equipped tuner. And you'll have to subscribe to a higher priced tier of channels.

is there any way to find this out? i know cox's hd channels all start with 7_ _. espn in my area is 35. espn hd with cox service is 735. same goes for all other channels and respective hd channels. does anyone know why they do this?
post #830 of 3649 Old 01-17-2007, 12:53 PM

Liked: 11
I was able to order the SAMSUNG DTB-H260F from CIRCUIT CITY on line just about 30 minutes ago. It's worth a try.
post #831 of 3649 Old 01-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

New SAMSUNG DTB-H260F inventories have apparently finally hit the shores of the USA. ABT Electronics tells me they received their shipment this morning. I would expect that all of the major internet sites will also have their stock replenished soon. If you've been waiting for this product your wait will soon be over. Unless, of course, all of the new stock disappears to those who have been on waiting lists since early December....
post #832 of 3649 Old 01-17-2007, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

One full container crosses the Ocean and empty one is sent back...

-Donb2
post #833 of 3649 Old 01-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

One full container crosses the Ocean and empty one is sent back...

-Donb2

Not exactly... it's full of US dollars.
post #834 of 3649 Old 01-17-2007, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

QUad User,

You are so correct about that!

-DonB2
post #835 of 3649 Old 01-17-2007, 06:22 PM

So I just got the DTB-H260F and I'm a bit confused.

I have regular cable... but I wanted to atleast get my local HD channels.

So I first plugged the box into my cable and did a scan. It found a bunch of channels, however I only received signal from a few and they were really spread out.

76-1 Fox10 (Crappy)
80-1 - Channel 15 WOF (HD)
80-2 Channel 5 (HD)
81-1 Channel 8 (HD)
81-2 Fox12 (HD)
81-3 ??
81-4 (Fox12) (480)

Then I decided to try going with an antenna instead and scanned again and got all my channels together (and the guide worked, it didnt work with the cable connection) however when i use the antenna I only get 2 HD channels.

So.. if I use my cable to get HD channels.. is that the correct way? I currently use cox for my cable.
post #836 of 3649 Old 01-17-2007, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optize View Post

Then I decided to try going with an antenna instead and scanned again and got all my channels together (and the guide worked, it didnt work with the cable connection) however when i use the antenna I only get 2 HD channels.

So.. if I use my cable to get HD channels.. is that the correct way? I currently use cox for my cable.

What antenna are you using? You need to select an antenna - VHF/UHF or UHF only, short or medium or directional long range, indoor or attic or rooftop - suitable for your situation. But this is off topic for this thread. Post your zip code and situation - house or condo/apartment, terrain - to a new thread or to the antenna help sticky thread in the local HDTV reception thread. Also go to www.antennaweb.org to find out the direction and distances to your local stations and what channels are the digital signals on.
post #837 of 3649 Old 01-17-2007, 11:15 PM

I just got email notification from CC that the Samsung DTB-H260F was in stock so I immediately placed an order. I'm not going to get too excited until it arrives.
post #838 of 3649 Old 01-18-2007, 12:10 AM

I just picked up this box and while I am really happy with most of it I am very disappointed in how low the audio out through the RCA (analog) plugs are. I wanted to use this to feed into my DVD recorder for saving shows (I know its not HD but its the best I can do right now). I thought the audio on my DVR was low, but this makes that seem loud. I am wondering if there is any way to change this, I was hoping changing to PCM audio over DD would do something but it didn't. Any ideas appreciated.
post #839 of 3649 Old 01-18-2007, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I could make the audio level roughly comparable to the other devices hooked to my TV by increasing the volume setting to maximum (100%) on the Samsung. It might still be a little bit lower than the others, but it's close enough that I can live with it.

I currently use the analog stereo outputs along with component video, but I think it came out pretty much the same over HDMI. I don't use HDMI now because I'm saving that input on the TV for an upconverting DVD player.
post #840 of 3649 Old 01-18-2007, 09:02 AM

jtbell,

Are you talking about the volume setting on your TV? I can't find any volume setting on the SAMSUNG box or the onscreen menus, if there is one can you tell me where it is?
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page