Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 3649 Old 01-30-2007, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMC View Post

I just bought the Samsung a few nights ago and have been happy so far with its performance. One thing I notice though is that the volume on my Hitachi 46" RP tv now has to be on average about 5-8 settings higher, and it's not very crisp sounding. Has anyone else had a problem with the audio sounding a bit muffled (this is through component hook-up)?

Same experience on my unit. I believe others have reported the same findings...

Regards,
Ricky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3649 Old 01-30-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Doesn't your new Sony have an analog/digital tuner? Or is it a true "monitor-only?" What's the Sony model number?

No tuners. True monitor only. KLV40U100M. Got a great deal and will mount it to the wall in the bedroom, but am still figuring out the TV source options.
post #993 of 3649 Old 01-30-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadietz View Post

I hear you, but one idea is to go with the RCA DRC8052 DVD recorder ($98 at WalMart on sale) and stay with a second device. The upside to this is you get really nice upconversion of your cable/satellite/SD OTA signals and DVDs to 720p or 1080i over HDMI, which you can send to a second HDMI port if your Sony has one(assuming you already use one for the current OTA HD tuner) , or run all of your HDMI inputs into an A/V receiver then to the Sony. You can also send the DTB-H260F's s-video into the RCA DVD recorder this way and record OTA HD as 480P to boot. Not a bad way to go, actually.

Thank you. That's the kind of genius I was looking for.

I've looked at the PrimeDTV PHD200 mentioned above, but with a single RF input, it severely limits my ability to do _both_ OTA HD and analog cable. A cheap RCA unit like this -- with the added bonus of upconversion for SD signals may fit the short term bill.

I'm assuming there's a thread on this device, and will check search to find it. Thanks again.
post #994 of 3649 Old 01-30-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrojan View Post

Thank you. That's the kind of genius I was looking for.

I've looked at the PrimeDTV PHD200 mentioned above, but with a single RF input, it severely limits my ability to do _both_ OTA HD and analog cable. A cheap RCA unit like this -- with the added bonus of upconversion for SD signals may fit the short term bill.

I'm assuming there's a thread on this device, and will check search to find it. Thanks again.

Just to be clear, and from his post I'm sure etrojan understands this - this is just a clarification for all forum readers - I'm suggesting having the Samsung OTA HD tuner and the RCA DVD recorder both hooked directly into a monitor with two HDMI ports or through an A/V receiver with HDMI switching capability. Additionally, you can use the RCA unit as an analog SD cable tuner (and recorder...) with the added bonus of upconversion of all the cable channels to 720p or 1080i as long as the output is routed out the HDMI port, and of it being an upconverting DVD player. There is a thread on the RCA here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=673985

Since the RCA also has an some s-video inputs, you can also connect the DTB-H260F's s-video output to one of the RCA's s-video inputs and record even 16:9 OTA HD channels. I was wrong about 480P, it is 16:9 480i but very high quality and the same channel as whatever the Samsung tuner is currently tuned to. I guess that when you play this kind of recording back, it will get upconverted but I haven't tried that yet so can't comment on the quality.
post #995 of 3649 Old 01-31-2007, 11:02 AM

Hi all,
Please help with choosing an antenna. I would like to buy a good one, and where can I get one. I'm located in the St. Petersburg area. Any information is very much appreciated. It will go with the Samsung DTB-260F. This is
DTV Antenna,

* yellow - uhf WEDU-DT 3.1 PBS TAMPA FL 88° 24.4 54
* yellow - uhf WXPX-DT 66.1 i BRADENTON FL 92° 24.4 42
* yellow - vhf WTVT-DT 13.1 FOX TAMPA FL 92° 25.7 12
* yellow - uhf WTOG-DT 44.1 CW ST. PETERSBURG FL 88° 24.4 59
* yellow - uhf WTTA-DT 38.1 MNT ST. PETERSBURG FL 89° 24.4 57
* yellow - uhf WMOR-DT 32.1 IND LAKELAND FL 92° 24.4 19
* yellow - uhf WFTS-DT 28.1 ABC TAMPA FL 89° 24.4 29
* yellow - vhf WFLA-DT 8.1 NBC TAMPA FL 89° 24.4 7
* yellow - uhf WCLF-DT 22.1 CTN CLEARWATER FL 92° 24.4 21
* yellow - uhf WTSP-DT 10.1 CBS ST. PETERSBURG FL 351° 26.5 24
* green - uhf WUSF-DT 16.1 PBS TAMPA FL 88° 24.4 34
* lt green - uhf WVEA-DT 25.1 UNI VENICE FL 92° 24.4 25
* red - uhf WFTT-DT 50.1 TFA TAMPA FL 89° 24.4 47
* blue - uhf WWSB-DT 52.1 ABC SARASOTA FL 138° 25.3 52
Note:
post #996 of 3649 Old 01-31-2007, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
without a rotor, a UHF antenna pointed 89 or 90 degrees should get all the stations on that magnetic bearing at 25 miles or less. The problem will be the NBC station on VHF digital channel 7 (old analog channel 8).

So, for everything in that direction, try a mid-size VHF/UHF antenna

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/hd7078p.htm

or

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
post #997 of 3649 Old 01-31-2007, 03:00 PM

I'm curious about the ability of this box to save preferences to watch future programs --it does this through the onscreen guide? If a program is set for future watching, will it power up and change to the correct channel when the time comes, or do you have to remember to leave it on?
post #998 of 3649 Old 01-31-2007, 11:46 PM

So this perplexes me. If you can only have one input running into the Samsung without a switch, why in the options for auto tune is there; Air, Cable, Air+Cable.

Why would you want to auto tune both at once if you can only have them through a switch?
post #999 of 3649 Old 02-01-2007, 03:30 AM

It doesn't make much sense, but I suppose what it does is search for both ATSC/8VSB streams and QAM streams, which are vastly different. The only way you'd see both is if you had air and cable combined into one coax, but you'd have to have some sort of bandpass filters to avoid them interfering with each other, and an A/B switch is simpler.

Or, perhaps they designed the interface before the hardware was finalized, and originally there was going to be a separate cable input?

===
I set my parents up with an SIR-T451 last year, and it works reasonably well with their 27" Toshiba SDTV (4:3, has component and S-Video in, but 480i only). These are my main complaints with it, in decreasing order:
  • No 480i output on component-- apparently when the switch is set to 480i it sends 480p over component. The TV shows an out-of-sync picture on the 480i setting, and the same out-of-sync pattern on 480p, but clearly different out-of-sync patterns on 720p and 1080i. I tested the box with a friend's JVC SDTV and saw the same thing. We returned it but the new unit has the same problem. We ended up just connecting it via S-Video. It's pretty clear for an SDTV, but the TV only has one S-Video input, so that bumped the DVD player down to composite (ugh).
  • "Zoom" mode stretches horizontally-- with the box configured for 4:3, the "aspect" button switches between "LetterBox", "Full" (stretches the 16:9 picture vertically to fill the screen), and "Zoom" (essentially a 4:3 pan-n-scan mode). This would be great for watching SD content on the HD channels, as it would then perfectly fit the TV, except that it scales too much horizontally -- people look slightly fat and the left/right edges of what should fit into a 4:3 picture get cut off. SD subchannels, however, display correctly, filling the screen, and there's no stretching (the aspect button only allows "full only").
  • The program info display in the guide is terrible. It breaks lines in the middle of words, goes off the edge of the screen, and there's no way to scroll through it if there's more text than fits in the box.
  • Slow channel change -- it takes about 3 seconds to change channels.

From what I've read in this thread, the new H260F solves the 480i over component issue, although it has a new problem of not showing the OSD on S-Video or composite. This wouldn't be a problem with their TV, though they may not want to buy a new box, as the current one does work (to a certain extent).

Does it have any of the other problems, especially the zoom one? It's really annoying -- to watch SD content on an HD channel (which is basically anything in reruns), it's either fat-face mode or letterboxed (by the Samsung box) and pillarboxed (by the station) in a tiny square in the middle of the screen.
post #1000 of 3649 Old 02-01-2007, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

The DTB-H260F works well as a tuner, locking in a signal in multipath environments, and has pretty good picture quality. The lack of dual RF inputs seems like the biggest negative along with the lack of a NTSC tuner. Software could be better, but looks like it'll do. One nice thing is that it doesn't seem to have any glaring oddball problems like flashing, weird lines, etc etc.
I think this tuner will be selling for half of list in 6-12 months. I think it'll be a better feeling purchase at that price.
post #1001 of 3649 Old 02-01-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadietz View Post

Just to be clear, and from his post I'm sure etrojan understands this - this is just a clarification for all forum readers - I'm suggesting having the Samsung OTA HD tuner and the RCA DVD recorder both hooked directly into a monitor with two HDMI ports or through an A/V receiver with HDMI switching capability.

You are correct, tadietz, this was crystal clear to me. The challenge I face, is that if I opt for the RCA DVD recorder as my analog cable tuner (and upconverter over HDMI), then the Samsung DBT-H260F may fall out of consideration, since I have only one HDMI port.

Leftover ports on the Sony LCD are SVGA and Component, and from my understanding SVGA would be better than Component, so I would prefer an HD Tuner with SVGA out.

At this point, I'm not ready to drop $500+ to upgrade my receiver to get one with HDMI switching.
post #1002 of 3649 Old 02-01-2007, 04:51 PM

Liked: 11
Why buy just a tuner when you can get this.......http://www.pvrwire.com/2007/01/31/ti...edia-streamin/

Apparently has no QAM, but is the future of home HD recorders.
post #1003 of 3649 Old 02-01-2007, 05:08 PM

Hi,

I got my Samsung DTB-H260F last week. I ordered it through the CC online and they shipped it in a week (179.00).

I see that the picture quality is much better compared to my earlier Dish HD Receiver, especially the Local Public Television (KQED in SF Bay Area).

Initially I connected the Receiver to my LCD TV (720P) using Component Cables, but later switched to HDMI Cable. After couple of days I noticed that the Picture resolution goes to VGA mode with orange tinge when I turn off the TV and turn it on later with the Receiver Still on. When I power cycle the Receiver, every thing comes back to normal. I didn't see this issue when using the Component Cables.

I guess the Receiver is going to lo resolution mode when the TV is turned off and is never coming back up to the full 720P again when the TV is turned on because of the HDMI cabling.

Any pointers.

Thanx

RK
post #1004 of 3649 Old 02-01-2007, 07:49 PM

I tried to purchase for 2 weeks in the Boston area in December. I placed an order with **************.com on 1/2/07. It finally arrives tomorrow! There is definitely an issue with Samsung's current distribution of this product.
post #1005 of 3649 Old 02-01-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_fahy View Post

I tried to purchase for 2 weeks in the Boston area in December. I placed an order with **************.com on 1/2/07. It finally arrives tomorrow! There is definitely an issue with Samsung's current distribution of this product.

On the bright side, this is an AWESOME tuner. I'm just across the Charles in Cambridge and can tune in all 26 OTA stations using a 6ft RG59 coaxial cable and a 75ohm adapter--that's right, I'm not actually using an "antenna" (in the conventional sense). Never drops the signal--ever.

We're killing our enemies faster than we can make them.
post #1006 of 3649 Old 02-01-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrojan View Post

You are correct, tadietz, this was crystal clear to me. The challenge I face, is that if I opt for the RCA DVD recorder as my analog cable tuner (and upconverter over HDMI), then the Samsung DBT-H260F may fall out of consideration, since I have only one HDMI port.

Leftover ports on the Sony LCD are SVGA and Component, and from my understanding SVGA would be better than Component, so I would prefer an HD Tuner with SVGA out.

At this point, I'm not ready to drop $500+ to upgrade my receiver to get one with HDMI switching.

etrojan, don't count it out just yet. The DTB-H260F also has component output at the full 1080i the box is capable of tuning in as an alternative to the HDMI option. You need to set a switch on the back of the unit to choose either component or HDMI, in fact. I have used both and can't really see any difference on my set. The downside of component, of course, is that you need to use the optical audio out as well as the much thicker three strand component cable instead of the one slim HDMI cable which carries both audio and video. The s-video output is still active if you choose this option.

And, as to the receiver, if you ever do want a reasonably priced option with true HDMI processing (not just switching), check out the new JVC RX-D411 or RX-D412 units. Around $350 from a few web merchants and I got free shipping when I bought mine. it's pretty sweet.
post #1007 of 3649 Old 02-02-2007, 04:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by a8vdeluxe View Post

Why buy just a tuner when you can get this.......http://www.pvrwire.com/2007/01/31/ti...edia-streamin/

Apparently has no QAM, but is the future of home HD recorders.

Here's another link: http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/30...-but-the-disk/

This blows away the simple DVD recorder/Tuner option!!!
post #1008 of 3649 Old 02-02-2007, 05:52 PM

I received my DTB-H260F a couple of days ago. When I first hooked up the HDMI cable to my set I got no sound. My set is a new Westhinghouse LTV-19w6. I had picture but could not get audio. I am not sure what I did but the audio eventually started working.

The next day I decided to play with the PIP while the Mavs were playing. I changed the PIP sound to the TV instead of Main. When I switched back to Main sound, nothing. Turned off PIP, still no sound. Disconnected everything else from TV, DVD and VCR. Still nothing. Finally hooked up component cables from tuner to TV to get HD using the audio from the HD tuner.
That works fine except now I have to disconnect the audio cables from the tuner and hook them into the DVD player to get sound watching a movie. I have seen some discussions about people having issues with sound over HDMI. My cable is a new HDMI to DVI, which is the connection on my TV.
Any comments would be appreciated. I love HD but I am not impressed with some of the technology yet. Or maybe it is just my ignorance since I am new to this.
post #1009 of 3649 Old 02-02-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

Are the Samsung DTB-H260F ATSC tuner's in stock at all locations now? Or are they still hard to come by?

-DonB2

I went to a local BB in North Dallas. They did not have any in stock. They said it is a special order item and will take 2-4 weeks for them to come in. I finally ordered one from J&R on the web. Paid $15 in shipping. Ordered on Sat. pm. and received it on Wed. at noon.

It did not sound like they were going to keep them in stock any longer. Guess they don't plan to be selling many since TVs 25" or larger already have a tuner and all TVs are supposed to have built in ATSC tuners beginning March 1.
post #1010 of 3649 Old 02-02-2007, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe all the profits for HDTV tuners will be found in ones with DVD recorders built in.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=786948

Of course, until May or so, many people will be SOL, and who knows how many of those things there will be then? At this time, the HDTV tuner marker is too small a market to mass-produce, yet too large a market that demand is greater than supply. Amazing.
post #1011 of 3649 Old 02-02-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlg1951 View Post

I received my DTB-H260F a couple of days ago. When I first hooked up the HDMI cable to my set I got no sound. My set is a new Westhinghouse LTV-19w6. I had picture but could not get audio. I am not sure what I did but the audio eventually started working.

... My cable is a new HDMI to DVI, which is the connection on my TV.
Any comments would be appreciated. I love HD but I am not impressed with some of the technology yet. Or maybe it is just my ignorance since I am new to this.

DVI requires a separate audio cable to be hooked up as well to get audio - that being the big difference between DVI and HDMI (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-De...edia_Interface ). The HDMI to DVI cables can't pass the audio like a straight HDMI can (see http://www.cobaltcable.com/hdmi_dvi_adapter.htm near the bottom for verification of this) so, not sure if that helps you with your situation or not, but you must have had some sort of additional audio hooked up that the volume was turned down or muted on that you somehow turned up or on.
post #1012 of 3649 Old 02-03-2007, 08:35 AM

Anyone feeding the output of a DTB-H260F into the input of a TiVo ?

I set it up using the component connection on my TV, then unplugged the component cable and used a composite cable to input into the TiVo (it only has S-Video IN and composite video IN, and of course RF IN). I ran the TiVo setup through as if I had switched to a cable box, when I got to the place to choose the input it indicated a video signal present at the composite input, but when I finished all I got was a black screen. I even cycled through all the supposed "cable channels", but no go.
post #1013 of 3649 Old 02-03-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:

It did not sound like they were going to keep them in stock any longer. Guess they don't plan to be selling many since TVs 25" or larger already have a tuner and all TVs are supposed to have built in ATSC tuners beginning March 1.

There's one big problem with this line of thought...VIDEO PROJECTORS.

I'll bet a lot of these tuners are purchased by people who recently bought video projectors. How come video projectors - for a front-projection setup - are exempt from the FCC ruling mandating the inclusion of an ATSC tuner?

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie
post #1014 of 3649 Old 02-03-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:

I just bought the Samsung a few nights ago and have been happy so far with its performance. One thing I notice though is that the volume on my Hitachi 46" RP tv now has to be on average about 5-8 settings higher, and it's not very crisp sounding. Has anyone else had a problem with the audio sounding a bit muffled (this is through component hook-up)?

I hooked up mine to my TV's basic audio inputs and initially also had very muffled sound. Then I discovered the VOLUME button on the Samsung's remote Turn it up all the way, and the sound level will be more or less the same as your other sources. I also didn't notice any degradation in the sound once I turned up the volume.

Recently I switched to the optical output and am running the audio through my signal processing amp. In this configuration, the volume settings on the Samsung don't have any effect, and the sound level is of course the same as other sources.

Not sure what the HDMI would do, as my TV has a DVI interface.

'Mo
post #1015 of 3649 Old 02-03-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Look at the Samsung remote that came with your tuner. Find the volume rocker switch and press the + symbol until the display shows you're at 100. When mine arrived, the sound was set to around 30, and did indeed sound muffled. Now that it's at 100, I have no problems.

'Mo
post #1016 of 3649 Old 02-03-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittaker View Post

Anyone feeding the output of a DTB-H260F into the input of a TiVo? . . . when I finished all I got was a black screen. I even cycled through all the supposed "cable channels", but no go.

I'm super new to all of this, but unless it's a new series 3 tivo I don't think your Tivo can process digital/HD signals. In fact, I have a related issue.

Background: We live in Chicago, and are line-of-sight 10 miles to the Sears Tower with all thefree HD signals. We're renting a home that has a rather large VHF/UHF antenna on the roof. Because plugging our old TV into the coax hooked up to the antenna gave us super clear picture quality, I assume that we could get high-quality HD signals as well. We have a Series-2 Tivo which cannot handle HD signals as I understand it, but we have a free lifetime Tivo subscription, so I'm not ditching it any time soon. Wanting the best of both worlds, I just bought a 3-year old Sony Wega KV-32HS50 TV on Craigslist (it seems everyone in Chicago is buying HDTV flat panels for the super bowl). The Wega is "HDTV-ready" (1080i, 720p), but lacks an ATSC tuner, so I'm in the market for one, and am leaning towards the Samsung DTB-H260F.

Anyway, here's my plan, tell me if I'm missing something obvious:

1) get a coax splitter to send one branch of the antenna signal into the Tivo box (as it does now).

2) send the other branch into the set-top ATSC tuner, and then feed that into the component TV's inputs on the bak (sadly, no HDMI, but hey, it was a $200 TV).

Since we rarely watch live TV, we will continue to use the Tivo box to watch recorded shows. But if there is a live program we want to see, we can watch it through the HDTV tuner.

Will this work? Does anybody have experience with this Wega TV? Should I get the Samsung, or is another model better for my needs? Thanks for any and all help.
post #1017 of 3649 Old 02-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snert View Post

Anyway, here's my plan, tell me if I'm missing something obvious:

1) get a coax splitter to send one branch of the antenna signal into the Tivo box (as it does now).

2) send the other branch into the set-top ATSC tuner, and then feed that into the component TV's inputs on the bak (sadly, no HDMI, but hey, it was a $200 TV).

The H260F has an input "from antenna" and output which can go to your tivo.

Being only 10 miles from antenna you should have a strong signal that splitting will not matter much (this can depend on the RF frequency though)

You can still use component outputs.

I have my antenna going to the H260F, and the output going to a VCR, and the signal is strong on the VCR.

I have noticed a drop in signal when the power is off on the H260F though, it appears to amplify the antenna signal when on. Has anyone else noticed this?
post #1018 of 3649 Old 02-03-2007, 07:33 PM

So I won't need to split the signal before it goes into the tuner? My Tivo Series-2 box will be able to "handle" the signal coming through the tuner?

Sorry if this seems stupid. I just want to be sure before I pull the trigger on the Samsung.
post #1019 of 3649 Old 02-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

This page has a picture of the back of the unit.

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages_b/h260f.html

The signal from the antenna will pass through the samsung and will then go to the Tivo.

The "HD signal" is just information attached to a Radio Frequency "RF", this radio frequency isn't any different from analog, just different information being transmitted.

The analog signals from the antenna are picked up by the Tivo (since you have a series 2 tivo).
post #1020 of 3649 Old 02-03-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls View Post

There's one big problem with this line of thought...VIDEO PROJECTORS.

I'll bet a lot of these tuners are purchased by people who recently bought video projectors. How come video projectors - for a front-projection setup - are exempt from the FCC ruling mandating the inclusion of an ATSC tuner?

Simple - the FCC mandate only effects devices sold with tuners. If you're going to sell something with a tuner, it has to be ATSC. But companies are perfectly free to sell devices with no tuner at all.

I'm currently looking at buying a tunerless HD monitor - and trying to decide if I'm just opening myself up for a world of hurt. The model with built-in tuner is about 350 bucks more. I'd like to wait for all the cheap ATSC/QAM equipped DVD recorders to materialize, but I have this funny feeling they won't...
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page