Samsung DTB-H260F ATSC tuner - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3649 Old 10-29-2006, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just spoke with a sales rep in the Magnolia section of the Best Buy in the San Francisco store. He said they're not stocking the tuner at that location, and doesn't expect it to show up in the near future. They're in stock in Stockton, CA and Santa Rosa, CA stores however. Last week they told me it was in stock in Sunnyvale as well, but this week Sunnyvale is sold out. This is very frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3649 Old 10-29-2006, 02:09 PM

So is there a final verdict on whether this unit is worth waiting for or not? The reactions on here appear to be mixed as to how it compares to other STBs. I went ahead and put one on order at PC Connection, but it is 2+ weeks out.

Eldritch
post #93 of 3649 Old 10-29-2006, 02:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Amazon preorder for less $. Nov 10-17 ship dates. If you find one sooner, cancel order.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #94 of 3649 Old 10-29-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Amazon preorder for less $. Nov 10-17 ship dates. If you find one sooner, cancel order.

Are you talking about this listing on Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DTB-H2...508823-3390460

Something sounds wrong from the details and description...

"Technical Details

* 200 Disposable Paper Sandwich Containers
* Each measures 6" x 6" x 3"
* Also they have a back hinge and a front tab to keep it closed
* Great for any food establishment or just household food on the go
* These come case packed"

"Product Description
Here are 200 Disposable Paper Sandwich Containers. These are brand new, never used, and case packed. Each sandwich container measures 6" x 6" x 3", has a back hinge, and a front tab to keep it closed. These are great for any food establishment or just household food on the go. You will receive 200 of these..."

Yeah, good luck with that...
post #95 of 3649 Old 10-29-2006, 03:13 PM

Just stumbled onto this letter dated Sept. 25 from Samsung to the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, in regards to the U.S. transition to DTV. It provides a glimpse of where they are positioning the DTB-H260f, and a hint of what is still to come in 2007.

Quote:
Samsung is fully committed to the U.S. transition to digital television. Samsung is the world's leading manufacturer of televisions by market share, and we have the largest market share of digital televisions in the United States. We produce a wide variety of televisions with integrated digital tuners as well as digital set-top boxes. Next month, we will introduce the DTB-H260F ATSC digital set-top box, which incorporates the most advanced technology for receiving terrestrial digital television through an antennaat a very moderate price. In 2007, we plan to introduce a lower-cost STB specifically for owners of legacy analog-only televisions, including those who will take advantage of the coupon program. These initiatives demonstrate our firm commitment to this market and to the digital transition.

Full text of the letter is here.
post #96 of 3649 Old 10-29-2006, 03:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Does anyone have a response to the Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down queries?
I know I can wait for a 30 day money-back location to have one in stock with no restocking fee... but that seems kind of anti intuitive after having spent so much time on these forums.
Grin.
OK. Can a few of you do a Pros/Cons list each? I could decide from that with no major hassle.
I find that most of my fellow members are trustworthy on goods that are below two Benjamins.
But, really? Does it have all the features you'd expect from a cheaper (which is good today--as they should be) box and still deliver cleanly and neatly and fairly quickly?
Any issues with the HDMI 1.2? VGA? Component? Colors seem on target? Clock feature work OK? Does it have enough memory to handle all your local HD options guides through tomorrow or just three hours?
Can it do a reasonable job upscanning or downrezzing your local ABC or CBS to use with your 720p or 1080i monitor or choice of resolutions? You know, the overall drill on an ATSC tuner, right?
Pros and Cons?
Thumbs up or down?
That's what we all pay each other so much for here.
Isn't it?

Rick Raymo,
Knucklehead Extraordinaire
post #97 of 3649 Old 10-29-2006, 03:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrown View Post

Are you talking about this listing on Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DTB-H2...508823-3390460

Purpose was to inform. AS yours. As usual: buyer beware.

post #98 of 3649 Old 10-29-2006, 04:45 PM

One thing my client reports as a difference from the SIR-T451: the menus won't display through the composite or S-video outputs at all, only through component and HDMI, and the manual also notes this limitation. When I called Samsung to ask how it would be configured on an analog-only TV, I was told that the recommended solution is to connect it to a HDTV monitor for configuration, then transfer it to the analog set -- and presumably pray that it never needs to be reconfigured. Er, no.

My client was going to use it primarily on his digital set, so it's not a tremendous problem, but it does mean that he can't take it to his vacation home where his TVs are analog only.
post #99 of 3649 Old 10-29-2006, 05:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Like him or not, Peter Putnam notes a fair bit of good information on the DTB H260F (like this 5th Gen tuner pulls eight stations where his LG 4th gen only got 5.) He gives out wave-form and performance data, pictures, et al.
http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages_b/h260f.html

Rick Raymo,
post #100 of 3649 Old 10-29-2006, 06:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Page 1, Like you I'm waiting for AVS member feedback. And if the new Autumn Wave STB will have additional(beyond the samsung) features like firewire.

post #101 of 3649 Old 10-29-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Raymo View Post

Like him or not, Peter Putnam notes a fair bit of good information on the DTB H260F (like this 5th Gen tuner pulls eight stations where his LG 4th gen only got 5.) He gives out wave-form and performance data, pictures, et al.

Nod. That article is the main reason I started looking into this unit in the first place. However, scientific tests and real world tests rarely coincide with each other IMO.

Eldritch
post #102 of 3649 Old 10-29-2006, 06:24 PM

It appears they are getting closer to a release... Here's a listing on B & H Foto & Electronics:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=465585

...Now, if they can only make one like the old LG and include a DVR; then, I would be happy. It is so frustrating looking for these STB's. I only watch prime time TV, 7pm-11pm Central time (ABC,CBS, or NBC). So I, like many others, have no need for CATV or Satellite. Two years ago, I grabbed the last Accuran unit from the local Radio Shacks as an "intro to HDTV". Although I don't own a HDTV set yet, I love the improved picture quality and the surround sound. I had hoped to move up to a better quality STB, but before I knew it, they were becoming extinct.

I'm glad to see that Samsung hasn't forgot us "little people"who can't afford or justify a brand new TV purchase.

I have eight different bosses right now. ...Eight. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled.
post #103 of 3649 Old 10-29-2006, 06:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks, using notify when in stock.

post #104 of 3649 Old 10-29-2006, 06:38 PM

Thanks Pringals. I also signed up for stock notification.

Eld

PS- I love your sig
post #105 of 3649 Old 10-29-2006, 07:55 PM

newbie here,
First mistake, bought one stb from ebay and when connect it to cable, it ask for pin code
contact comcast about it and they said they only activate the box if cust get them direct from comcast ....

After searching google, stumble on this thread and got one from atlanta area. Hook it up to my local comcast cable and able to pick up some channels. Problem is it also pick up many encrypted/weaksignal channel and have not figure out an easy way to weed/delete them out.

I subscribe to basic comcast channel and I have a vizio plasma with not tuner on it. Is there away to get the regular analog channel? this samsung is not showing any analog at all. QAM is not too bad if I can weed out encrypted channel so channel surfing is fun again.

I am thinking to go ahead and get STB from comcast so I can get more channels including analog etc.
post #106 of 3649 Old 10-30-2006, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Wow! what a bone head design decision:

"a difference from the SIR-T451: the menus won't display through the composite or S-video outputs at all"

I use an SIR-T451 to feed an older Sony 55" analog RPTV and the programming looks VERY good when feed by an S-Video cable. I was considering upgradeing to the new box to get the "better" receiver, but won't now. How can they possibly think this type of set top box will be a digital to analog converter box when the typical family buying it at the switch over in 2009 won't have a digital TV - that is the purpose of the STB ! Amazing lack of understanding of the market.
post #107 of 3649 Old 10-30-2006, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

"a difference from the SIR-T451: the menus won't display through the composite or S-video outputs at all"

I use an SIR-T451 to feed an older Sony 55" analog RPTV and the programming looks VERY good when feed by an S-Video cable. I was considering upgradeing to the new box to get the "better" receiver, but won't now. How can they possibly think this type of set top box will be a digital to analog converter box when the typical family buying it at the switch over in 2009 won't have a digital TV - that is the purpose of the STB ! Amazing lack of understanding of the market.

I assume that's what the "lower cost STB for analog market" unit next year will be for. That is a bad choice not to have at least the unit have composite output.
post #108 of 3649 Old 10-30-2006, 07:48 AM

WOW it didn't' take long to find it's way to ebay
His first listing attempt:
I'm going to be heading to the local best buy tonight after work and see if they have it. Hopefully, with the recent remodeling work to include a "theater room", they should be getting them soon. ... Or should I wait and see if they make a DVR version? Does anyone have knowledge of a cheap DVR HDTV STB in the near future?

I have eight different bosses right now. ...Eight. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled.
post #109 of 3649 Old 10-30-2006, 08:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

Do you really think that the majority of stuff like this is an actual design decision? I fall into the camp that says that these goofballs didn't notice the mistake (ala Capcom shipping Dead Rising with unreadable fonts on an analog TV and refusing to patch it.)

They just didn't think to test for that rather large possible market segment on the menus. Bet.

Rick Raymo,
post #110 of 3649 Old 10-30-2006, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I bet that it does output on composite and s-video. I don't have a unit, but iirc, the other samsung units will output the menu to composite and s-video only when the resolution switch is set to 480i. If it is anything higher, then the programming will still output over those outputs, but not the menus. Can anyone with the unit test this?

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #111 of 3649 Old 10-30-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

I bet that it does output on composite and s-video. I don't have a unit, but iirc, the other samsung units will output the menu to composite and s-video only when the resolution switch is set to 480i. If it is anything higher, then the programming will still output over those outputs, but not the menus. Can anyone with the unit test this?

I would also like to formally second this request...

post #112 of 3649 Old 10-30-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzinkin View Post

Long-time lurker, first-time poster...

For what it's worth, the new tuner has made it to upstate NY -- one of my clients told me that the Best Buy in Henrietta (Rochester suburb) had a couple in stock today. He got one; no reports yet on how well it works for him.

I called my buddy in Rochester yesterday right after I read your post. They had four units coming in and at the time he went to the store, two were already gone. So there was another one on the shelf yesterday when he left (might be gone by now).

I just hooked it up during my lunch break today. So far this unis gives me the best reception comparing to the other three receivers I have (Moto HDT101, Fusion III PCI, and PHD-101).

I live in a first-floor apartment about 25+ miles from the stations and I'm using CM4221 (indoor). I have no dropout so far.

The only thing I don't like about this unit is that it doesn't have auto-ratio or separate memory for HD /SD ratio settings. Everytime you switch between HD / SD channel, you have to change the screen ratio in order to get the correct picture aspect ratio. Considering its performance, I guess I can live with it.
post #113 of 3649 Old 10-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnowicki View Post

I would also like to formally second this request...

I was hoping for the same thing, but this unit only displays graphics when connected via HDMI or componet. You can't even tell which channel your on when using the remote because NOTHING displays. I had to connect to my plasma just to set it up & scan for channels. this box does receive ota dtv much better than mr hr10. but as soon as the OTA is activated on my HR20 this babys going back to BB.

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #114 of 3649 Old 10-30-2006, 12:06 PM

Maybe it actually doesn't output the menus on S-Video, only on the HD outputs. As per the above quote from Samsung, this is kind of a high-end tuner using their latest chipset. It must be targeted toward those that already have HD capable sets. The product that they are going to deliver in 2007 that is targeted at the old analog market I'll bet *will* output the menus on the S-Video output so the analog television users will be able to use it.

That does sort of make it unusable for someone with an analog TV looking for just an ATSC tuner that will drive their old TV...

Robert
post #115 of 3649 Old 10-30-2006, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Well, if it doesn't output the menus on the lower outputs, you could set the switch to 480i, and just hook up the luminance (Y) cable of the component signal to a composite input (B&W only) to set the unit up; that is if you could live without the channel and epg display. I still find it hard to believe it doesn't work with the resolution set to 480i. Is there a usb port or similar for future firmware upgrades?

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #116 of 3649 Old 10-30-2006, 03:47 PM

I purchased two units in the Rockaway NJ store this morning. I was told that the Brick NJ store also had stock along with Depford NJ and some stores in the Philly area.

Will be hooking them up later this week at my rural NY state home. Will do a direct comparison between the Pro Brand 3150PLUS, LG3150 and 3100. Will let group know results.
post #117 of 3649 Old 10-30-2006, 04:15 PM

I just picked up my DTB-H260F at my local BB in Northern VA. I went there yesterday and their computer registered two in inventory, but they couldn't find one in the warehouse. The units were officially scheduled to go out on the floor today. When I got there today I spoke with the same salesperson, and apparently they really had only one unit. The other was a fake display model.

Like many others I got it to improve the quality of my analog OTA picture. I don't have an HDTV, and I stopped getting cable TV because they just raised my rate to 50/month for basic cable, of which we watched only two channels that were not provided OTA.

About the unit. I can confirm that the On-Screen-Display does not work with the composite out, even using the 480i output setting. Pretty dumb choice if you ask me. Lucky for me I have a single TV with the Component input and that worked fine. You can't really use the unit without the OSD - you have no clue as to the channel you are watching and there is no way to setup the unit.

Also the unit does not scale some content to the 4:3 aspect ratio. The content that was already in 4:3 looked fine, but the other content would be this square box - with black bars on the left and right of the picture. It's certainly not very attractive. You can change the picture format to full, but then it drops some of the image on the top and bottom.

My next effort is to hook this thing up to my ReplayTV 5060. I tried it a little while ago, but ReplayTV unit does not understand OTA set top boxes. I called them and the don't support DTV even with set top boxes. Plus their suport group is extremely dumb and uneducated. (They kept saying the RTV does not support HDTV - I don't want HDTV, I want DTV via a set top box!) Ugh.

Man I love the picture (aside from the aspect ratio). Before the ATSC STB, I was I was getting multi-path ghosting even with my yagi directional antenna. Now it's just a crystal clear picture, and more channels to choose from (I get around 30 in our area - but not all are in use or english).
post #118 of 3649 Old 10-30-2006, 04:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

For me, my hills, etc, it's purpose will be to handle multipath. What's the consensus? WR2M, I have the ProBrand, Let us know, better? Y/N ? Thanks.

post #119 of 3649 Old 10-30-2006, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I visited the two BBs in Columbia SC today. Both stores had shelf-edge cards referring to the Samsung, on the shelf in the TiVo section. One had a display unit (empty case). Neither had any in stock.
post #120 of 3649 Old 10-31-2006, 01:19 PM

Well I got the new Samsung tuner last night from my East side BB in Madison, WI.

My setup is: Component video (RGB) cabes and PCM audio (not Dolby Digital) with the switch set to 1080i.

CON:

I wish there were more Aspect ratios with the Samsung. You only get 3 choices but with the LG you get 5 plus the variable zoom. I like with the LG I can expand 4:3 broadcasts to take up the full screen. With the Samsung you have to live with the black bars on the sides if it is a non-HD broadcast.

PRO:
It's cheap. It's tiny. IMO it has as good, if not slightly better picture quality compared to the LG LST-4200A. It is not a big difference. I watched CSI:Miami, Leno, and Letterman and they look the same as on the LG. The menu system and guide seem fine but that stuff just doesn't matter to me. The antenna strength seems to actually work on this unit unlike the antenna strength on the LST-4200A. I use a big channelmaster above my garage so I can't can comment on if it pulls in signals any better than the LST-4200A. I still get all the same channels I had before. I will say that the tuner must be better because I can pull in more stuff via QAM over my cable feed than with the LST-4200A. Note - I have an A/B switch to get between cable and OTA. Also, please note that the Samsung unit doesn't get non-digital signals (VHF,UHF,etc.) like the LG-LST4200A did.

NOTE - I modified my original post becuase I'm an idiot. I forgot that my RPTV can't do 720p and that I must set the resolution to 1080i for my TV. Yes, 720p HDTV broadcasts DO take up the whole screen. Sorry for any confusion/misinformation I put out there earlier. In my defence I only had my Samsung for a day.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page