Direct TV h20... OTA use only?? Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need a good, but CHEAP receiver to get my local OTA HD brodacasts. I am looking at the Direct TV h20. I do not have Direct TV, and I don't know if it comes with an access card. So, can I buy an access card off e-bay, and use the h20 receiver with no subscription to get my loal HD OTA broadcasts? Someone please help me out & tell me what I need to do to make that work... or any Direct TV HD receiver for that matter. :confused:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 11:09 AM

No matter which DirecTV receiver you use, you will have to subscribe to DirecTV to activate the card and have it work with OTA HD. You don't have to subscribe to the DirecTV HD package, however.

Carl
post #3 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 11:17 AM

A H20 will not work as a HD OTA tuner unless it is hooked up to the satelite dish with an active D* account......however an old HD TS 360? Samsung will work without a D* account with an access card. :)

Rick -
On the Beach
post #4 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

What about this:
LG LSS-3200A DIRECTV HD Receiver

It's a Direct TV HD receiver, and I'd really like to get this one, but will it work without a Direct TV subscription, and no dish hook up?? In the owners manual, which can be found on Direct TV's website, on page 50 it says:

If you don’t subscribe to DIRECTV® programming, however, the function of the DIRECTV HD Receiver will be limited to receiving signals only from ANT and/or CABLE.

You can still enjoy HD services provided by over-the-air digital broadcast along with the conventional analog broadcast. Without the DIRECTV service, however, no electronic program guide is available.

So to me, that says it will work for just an OTA tuner, with no Direct TV subscription required. What do you think?
post #5 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guster900
What about this:
LG LSS-3200A DIRECTV HD Receiver

It's a Direct TV HD receiver, and I'd really like to get this one, but will it work without a Direct TV subscription, and no dish hook up?? In the owners manual, which can be found on Direct TV's website, on page 50 it says:

If you don’t subscribe to DIRECTV® programming, however, the function of the DIRECTV HD Receiver will be limited to receiving signals only from ANT and/or CABLE.

You can still enjoy HD services provided by over-the-air digital broadcast along with the conventional analog broadcast. Without the DIRECTV service, however, no electronic program guide is available.

So to me, that says it will work for just an OTA tuner, with no Direct TV subscription required. What do you think?
I cannot comment on that unit (would you still need the access card?).....I can only validate the Samsung TS 360 as a viable candidate.

Rick -
On the Beach
post #6 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

So how good is the Samsung TS 360? I'm not to particular, I just need something that will do a good job with my local HD channels. The samsung ts-360 is less expensive, so any advice on it would be nice... talk me into it.. lol. So you know for a fact 100% that I don't need an access card or a subscription, or anything. I can just hook it up to my antenna and I'll be good to go? Thanks!
post #7 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 11:48 AM

You will need the access card with the TS 360, you do not not need a D* account....It does a good job pulling in HD OTA signals IMO.

Rick -
On the Beach
post #8 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Will any access card due? There are lots on e-bay, does it need to be a certain one, or new or...?
post #9 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 12:20 PM

I am sure any would do (you might want to do a search on this forum about that)....you need the card to access the menu in the Samsung.... to search for the OTA signals in your area and to set up various settings.....

Rick -
On the Beach
post #10 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Newman
No matter which DirecTV receiver you use, you will have to subscribe to DirecTV to activate the card and have it work with OTA HD. You don't have to subscribe to the DirecTV HD package, however.

Carl
That would be incorrect, only the H20 requires an active subscription, most work with unsubbed access cards in them for OTA use only. The H10 does require a dish hooked up to boot but does not have to be subbed, I'd stay away from that one also.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #11 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else know about the LG LSS-3200A DIRECTV HD Receiver? As I posted above?
post #12 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 03:08 PM

I can tell you the 3200A is a fantastic receiver (I have had one for over 2 years) and it will work for OTA without a sub but I believe you will need a card.
post #13 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Don't know about that particular receiver, but I know for a fact you don't have to have a subscription (or an access card) for the DTC-100.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #14 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You don't have to have a D* subscription for an old Toshiba DST-3000 or an old Hughes E86 to receive OTA either.......

Jeff Burleson
post #15 of 22 Old 10-16-2006, 09:17 AM

I recently purchased a LG LSS-3200A off of ebay. When researching the DirecTV HD units I decided on this one because I saw that it had QAM which should allow it to pick up clear QAM HD for locals over my local Cable TV provider. I can't seem to figure out how that part works. I can pick up over the air from one station but others are too far away or blocked by a mountain for me. Do you have any idea on how the QAM part works? Also I don't have a remote and am trying to find a universal that works. LG Sat receivers don't seem to be supported on most universals I have found. Do you know of a code for the allforone remotes?
post #16 of 22 Old 10-16-2006, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I answered your question in the other thread, no need to cross post.

Matt
post #17 of 22 Old 10-23-2006, 06:32 PM

How can D* even remotely justify interfering with the functionality of a receiver I own in regards to free, over the air transmissions?
post #18 of 22 Old 10-24-2006, 07:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

It isn't interference. The box is just designed to get guide information from the satellite subscription for local OTA stations. It's not like they are blocking anything. They haven't added OTA guide capability. They are under no obligation to provide stand alone OTA capability. I found it surprising the receivers before the H10 would work OTA only. Dish Network HD receivers have always needed a dish if not a subscription to work OTA.

Pat

While I may link to and mention products as examples, I don't recommend specific products.
post #19 of 22 Old 10-24-2006, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguild
How can D* even remotely justify interfering with the functionality of a receiver I own in regards to free, over the air transmissions?
Because it's their hardware designed for their system and they can design it to do whatever they want.

I'm sure you've noticed stand alone ATSC tuners tend to cost more then the H20, there is a reason for that. Directv covers part of the hardware costs much like a cell phone provider does, this is why they require you to sign up for a contract when you purchase new hardware from them.

Matt
post #20 of 22 Old 10-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My search to this question finally paid off! I've been wondering about what to do with my Samsung 360 HD STB I have in my bedroom if I leave Directv and go with cable. It appears then that the 360 can still be used to pull in HD local channels over the antenna.

I also have an older Zenith HD 520 STB in my den. Can I also use this as a stand alone box to receive local HD channels over my antenna?

shortspark
post #21 of 22 Old 10-24-2006, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819
Don't know about that particular receiver, but I know for a fact you don't have to have a subscription (or an access card) for the DTC-100.
I have a DTC-100 in the basement that does not do so well holding an OTA signal. Would an amplifier or anything help? My H20-600 and H20-100 do a great job holding a signal.

Also, I have a spare H10 but no sat connection down in the basement, so I guess that's out as well or do I simply need to run a sat connection but not register the reciever for the H10 OTA to work? Can I run a temporary sat line (from my living room) to the H10 to get it booted up then disconnect the satelitte connection?

Acts 17:27
"His purpose in all of this was that the nations would seek after GOD and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him-though he is not far from any of us"
Yamaha Drum kit....
post #22 of 22 Old 10-24-2006, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

"I also have an older Zenith HD 520 STB in my den. Can I also use this as a stand alone box to receive local HD channels over my antenna?"

Should be able to.

"Also, I have a spare H10 but no sat connection down in the basement, so I guess that's out as well or do I simply need to run a sat connection but not register the reciever for the H10 OTA to work?"

My understanding is it needs a dish connection to boot but it doesn't need to be subbed to work as an OTA tuner.

Matt
Closed Thread HDTV Technical