Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 11-09-2006, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is a Dish ViP 222?

Dear .....
DISH Network is considering an in-home Product Performance Trial of our latest DishHD receiver. The ViP222 offers the latest in satellite receiver technology and expanded high-definition programming.

Under this program, all you would need to do is watch a lot of DishHD programming and provide us with weekly feedback on your experience via a user-friendly online form. The Product Performance Trial would last 90 days; benefits to you would include:

You would also receive continued use of the ViP222 receiver after the trial period ends, allowing you to get the latest in HD programming.

DISH Network is currently soliciting interest in this trial and contacting potential participants from a select list of DISH Network customers. If you enjoy watching exciting DISH Network high-definition and standard-definition programming and would be interested in participating in this program, please click on the Yes, I Would Like To Participate link below to answer 3 qualifying questions. Interested participants must respond by Tuesday, November 14, 2006.

Sincerely,

DISH Network Product Marketing Team

1 Programming subscription to DishHD Bronze package or higher is required. DishHD Bronze is $49.99 per month, before applicable programming credits. For example, with the trial programming credit, participants with DishHD Bronze will pay a $39.99 programming charge per month, for six months. ViP222 trial programming credits also apply to DishHD Silver and Gold packages. Additional programming credits may be available to qualified customers who participate in the ViP222 trial. Details will be provided to qualified customers when contacted by DISH Network to arrange an installation date.
2 Free upgrade requires customer to swap existing HD and SD receivers for the ViP222. The ViP222 is a dual-tuner receiver that supports one HDTV and one SDTV. Customer will not be able to switch back to their previously leased equipment. Customer will be responsible for an additional $1.00 per month equipment lease fee (lease fee for existing HD and SD receivers is $5.00 per month, lease fee for ViP222 receiver is $6.00 per month). If a receiver is not connected to a phone line, a $5.00 monthly fee applies.
3 Offer valid in markets where antenna upgrade is required for product trial.
4 Offer contingent upon the acceptance of the terms and conditions of the offer and the successful completion of DISH Network selection criteria questionnaire. DISH Network may terminate the Product Performance Trial at any time in its sole and absolute discretion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-09-2006, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I got the same email from E* today. My best guess is that the ViP222 replaces the ViP 211. Would like to hear from someone who hit the "Yes I want to participate" button at the end of the email to find out what the 3 questions are.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-10-2006, 05:26 AM

As far as I know, the 222 is the mostly the same as a 211, but it's a dual tuner receiver. Just like the difference between the 311 and the 322.
post #4 of 19 Old 12-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

What's the status on the Vip222 testing?

I'm ready to buy but the hardware is still vaporware.

Building our dream theater one component at a time.. Thanks AVS for years of great advice and support!

Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater/
post #5 of 19 Old 12-15-2006, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Beta testers had to respond to by December 6th to about getting the new units.

Firmware was spooled on the birds for it a week ago.

The first info that I posted said the trial would last 3 months - but that doesn't neccessarily mean the unit will be released in 3 months - probably depends on the number of bugs they find among the beta testers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DishNetwork View Post

Thank you for recently completing our qualifying questionnaire. You have been selected to participate in our exclusive ViP222 Product Performance Trial. As a member of the product trial team you will get many free bonuses and access to exclusive ViP222 technical support.

To take advantage of this exclusive program and become a member of the ViP222 product trial team, you must agree to the following terms and conditions:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ViP222 Product Performance Trial Participant Terms and Conditions

Through customer feedback, a product trial helps us verify product quality and ensure our product's success. You are a critical part of the process. Therefore, we expect the following:

Participation and Expectations
By signing up, you will actively participate in our trial on a regular basis. The purpose is to obtain ViP222 product and programming feedback. You will be required to provide this feedback to DISH Network via a user-friendly online form. Your participation will consist of the following:
respond to product performance and user experience questions (bi-weekly feedback)
participate in product discussion forums (optional)
submit problem reports (as needed)
Lack of participation will require you to forfeit the benefits of the trial. You agree to maintain DISH Network service on the current pay account. Your account will be upgraded to DishHD programming for the trial. DishHD will remain on your account after the trial ends. If you wish to downgrade to a lesser package, a $5.00 downgrade fee applies. If you do not subscribe to DishHD programming, a $6/month HD Enabling fee will also apply.

Responsiveness
It is important that you visit the online website and respond to questions asked by DISH Network. Our trial program lasts 90 days, so we appreciate consistent input from our participants.

Confidentiality & Integrity
Please remember that by clicking I ACCEPT below, you are agreeing to participate in the ViP222 trial and to adhere to strict confidentiality. DISH Network will disclose to participants certain confidential and proprietary information that is to be handled in a sensitive manner. We do ask that our participants adhere to confidentiality and provide honest feedback on their experience with the latest DishHD ViP222 receiver and programming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what's the next step? If you agree to the terms and conditions of the ViP222 trial, please click the I ACCEPT link below to join the product trial team. Participants must respond by Friday, Decemeber 6, 2006. Trial participants will be contacted by DISH Network within the next two weeks to setup a convenient installation date and time.

We look forward to delivering the latest in HD receiver technology and expanded HD programming to you! Thank you for your participation.

Sincerely,

DISH Network Product Marketing Team

post #6 of 19 Old 12-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

I guess the first question I'd like answered is whether PIP works via HDMI. I know that Dish is supposedly working on split screen PIP for the Vip622, wondering if split screen PIP on the Vip222 via HDMI may be a reality.

Maybe I'm missing something here, what extra features does the 222 have compared to the Vip211 other than the TV2 modulated output? My perspective is that I would not be using the TV2 modulated output of the Vip222 to drive an SDTV.

TIA, Merry Christmas, John

Building our dream theater one component at a time.. Thanks AVS for years of great advice and support!

Come visit The Pit
post #7 of 19 Old 12-15-2006, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting my ViP222 installed Monday afternoon. I'll try to answer your questions, johnwcookjr, afterwards.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-18-2006, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I did get the ViP222 installed today. I already had the Dish 1000, so the setup went quite smoothly. It took about 2 hours, but the installer, who was from E*, had to move my ViP 211 to my basement (to replace the 811 I had down there that I took out of service) and install diplexers on the two lines (one HD, one SD) so I could keep my OTA feed. The SD feed from the 222 replaced a 301 receiver which I also took out of service.

Keep in mind I've only had it up and running about 5 hours. Overall, the PQ is the same as the 211. I used component to connect it to my main HDTV (no HDMI input), so I can't comment on the HDMI. The OTA tuner seems to be at least comparable to the 211. Time will tell due to weather fluctuations, etc. for me to get a better handle on this.

The remote for the second TV, in an upstairs bedroom, works very well. When the 222 is in dual mode, changing channels and switching to OTA was a breeze. In dual mode, PIP is available on the HD line. This is a nice feature and the PIP can be moved around to several locations on the main screen on the fly.

On the not so positive side, so far, I had to reboot the 222 once as it froze when changing channels. It couldn't get past the second green bar when downloading the program guide as part of the reboot, so I had to cancel it out. This occurred a few times with the 211, which I've had since about April, so whatever the problem is that causes this, it apparently hasn't been fixed. Also, on the 211, the normal, stretch, etc. modes for the picture were remembered by the tuner for each channel, so that each time you went to the channel, and, say you had an SD channel on stretch, it remembered it. The 222 doesn't do this for non-HD channels. In fact, for SD channels, from both satellite and OTA sources, on both feeds, it displays some sort of super zoom mode when you first tune the channel that you can't duplicate when resetting it to what you want using the format key at the most lower left of the remote. This is a PITA and something I hope is fixed soon.

I'm sure I'll notice other things and, if major, I'll post on this thread.
post #9 of 19 Old 12-18-2006, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

They didn't make you switch out the 211? It said you had to switch everything out in the initial contact.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-18-2006, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

No, they let me choose. The installer explained that there are folks who, for example, plan to get a second HDTV for the holidays and want to keep their 211. Letting them do so saves another trip for an installer later. That situation didn't apply to me, but it makes sense. Also, I own both the 811 and 301, so they told me they couldn't force me to return them. I can get a big $10 credit if I mail the 301 back to them though. They weren't interested in receiving the 811 back, for whatever reason. I wouldn't part with the 811 anyway because I can still use it for OTA, provided I hook it up so it can see a sat feed (no subscription required).

Since I'm posting, I'll add a couple of more comments about the 222. I subscribe to LIL's. The 222 replaces the analog feed with the digital feed for the four networks on the bird when you punch in a channel number. Example. Channel 009-00 is the LIL analog feed on the 811 and 211. On the 222, it's the digital LIL feed. I get my OTA digital feed on channel 009-01 just like I did on the 811/211. For the analog only LIL's on the bird, the analog feed comes in when you punch in channel XXX-00. All of analog's are still available, including the four carried on the digital LIL's, by punching in their other location, which for me, begins with channel 8200. My four digital LIL's are also available by punching in their other channel number, like 6330.

All HD channels are automatically downrezzed into a 480i, 4x3 format on the SD feed from what I can tell so far. The HD's are resized somehow so no black bars appear on top/bottom or each side. The format button on the remote (stretch, zoom, etc.) does not function for the SD feed. This downrezzing is a nice feature which allows me to watch the Voom channels, etc. on the SD feed on the bedroom TV. They weren't available with the 301.

Finally, with my 211, with the Dish remote, I could directly control the sound of my optical 5.1 system by merely touching the volume bar and change channels by punching in the channel number or hitting the up/down key . With the 222, I have to hit the aux button first before the volume bar becomes functional. And to change channels, I have to hit the sat button first. This is an extra step that I do not like. I've already found myself trying to change a channel and instead changing the feed on my 5.1 system - like FM tuner or DVD player, because I hit the aux button last and I forgot to hit the sat button before changing channels.

I understand I have to make a report every two weeks for 90 days on a "secret" internet site to report issues like this. I hope E*'s intent is to seriously take feedback such as this so they can issue software fixes to address these problems. We'll see. At least I have my 211 and 811 and my OTA to fall back on if the 222 does something totally unexpected like have a total crash.

As a final note, the installer told me that E* has two installers that handle all of the 222 installs in my area - Denver, about 3.1 million folks in the DMA. That's not many and they do other installs as well. My installer was off to install 10 622's in some mansion in an area called Cherry Hills (do you know how to spell gazillionaire?) after he finished my install.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-19-2006, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Well, that sucks. The only reason I did not go for the test was it said I had to return all my other HD STBs.
post #12 of 19 Old 12-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mike

Thanks for the feedback. Any chance of you getting an HDMI enable set hooked up to your 222 and giving the PIP functionality a go?

A DISH CSR I spoke with last week told me that PIP wasn't functional via HDMI, I'd like to confirm that before waiting two more months for a 222.

Regards, John

Come visit The Pit
post #13 of 19 Old 12-19-2006, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe I received a software download last night that fixed the memory portion of the screen size format problem I reported. When you first tune to an SD channel, it still gives you the super-size format but once you set it to what you want, like stretch, it retains that in memory.

johnwcookjr, I do have one HDTV, the Samsung in the basement I put the 211 on, that has HDMI but I do not have an HDMI cable. I use component. If you'd like to send me one, I'd be happy to try it out for you.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

This thread has gone quite, how do you like the Vip222? Anyone try picture in picture on two HD channesl via HDMI yet?

Come visit The Pit
post #15 of 19 Old 01-28-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I still can't do any HDMI with the 222 and I don't see that changing since I'm planning on keeping the TV it's hooked up to and it only has component and DVI. But the PIP does work with component. While the main picture is HD, the PIP picture is SD. But the main picture is always in HD, even after a swap with the PIP picture.

This issue with the super-sized format on SD channels has not been addressed yet. I thought it was, but I was mistaken.

I've had my 222 for about a month and a half now. Are folks having to wait well into February for installation? No wonder I haven't heard from E* - sending surveys back, etc.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-11-2007, 11:15 PM

Hello All,
I want to OWN this receiver. Why? Two reasons...

1. I already own two DVR's, a Panasonc replaytv & SonicBlue replaytv
(the commercial skip featureon the SonicBlue is AWESOME! I Didn't know how
much I hated commercials untill I no longer had to put-up with watching them)

2. i do not want to be short-changed by Dish Network!
There is an EXTRA $5.98 per month DISH Network DVR Service fee\\

Does anyone know where I can buy this receiver? I've already called a couple of places and no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Any updates on an expected VIP222 release date?

How's the beta testing going?

Come visit The Pit
post #18 of 19 Old 03-21-2007, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I do not know what plans Echostar has for releasing the ViP222. I believe I've completed 3 user surveys so far and I think they plan to have six, so it'll be awhile yet.

The beta testing is still ongoing. Some bugs have been addressed - software fixes put in place - involving the program guide, screen formatting, and sound. There are a couple of more bugs that have been reported involving the SD receiver but I don't think they've been fixed yet.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-29-2009, 03:43 AM

Well here it is Apr-09 and the Vip222 still doesn't have ehd and not looking like it will get it any time soon.
I called to add a 211k to my house especially since it would take an EHD. The csr gave me the $40 EHD charge for free and I was happy at that point, then she mentioned the vip222 had dual tuner. cool, i'll take that one then, even better. Well after getting it installed and hooking up an EHD, I called E* and was then told, oh, the 222 does not have an EHd function! So I wasted my time and they agreed to replace it with a 211k. Here is the kicker, the EHD on the 211 will NOT swap with my current 722, which is also EHD enabled at this point. WTF? So they claim you can pay 40 bucks to turn on the EHD for every box in your house that can take an EHD but it is not compatible with thier best receiver, the 722. So what I was asking for in the first place, a 211k that can be used as a DVR and have that HD interchangeable with other DVR's in the house is not possible. There are also TWO $40 charges in this case. One charge to turn on the EHD on the 722 for archive reasons they say, and another $40 charge to turn on the EHD on the 211k, which is compatible with *some* other receivers in the house, not the 222 ofcoarse though. I got both EHD features turned on for both boxes now but they gave me credit for both since I was not a happy customer (10+ years now)
I liked the idea of using one EHD on any receiver in the house, hopefully they make the 722 EHD compatible with the 211k EHD.
Anyway hope this story helps someone else figure out what they can and can't do..
E* was on to something there but the execution is off base..
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page