Philips MANT940 antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 11-22-2006, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have previously posted about the Stealthtenna capability ro receive TV signals. Another HDTV antenna I wanted to try out is the Phillips MANT940 UHF-only antenna. I do not know how good is the antenna but you can use it both indoors and outdoors. I need to know what is the mileage range I could get with this antenna and is it directional?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-22-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Go to www.antennaweb.org and enter the info requested(zip code will do) and check for Digital Channels Only. Then Copy & Paste the info here. Then someone may be able to give you recommendations for your area?

The antennas that your interested in may not be enough for your application and installation ?
post #3 of 25 Old 11-22-2006, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, I am using it for analog, since the item's description says it works for analog signals. I still need to know the mile range of the antenna and opinions from anyone in the board regarding this before I decide to purchase for Christmas.

Here are my address location results. I live in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania on the north-end section. The elevation is nearly 600 ft.

yellow - uhf WOLF 56 FOX PENOBOAT MOUNTAIN PA 195° 4.7 56
yellow - uhf WNEP 16 ABC SCRANTON PA 197° 4.8 16
yellow - uhf WYOU 22 CBS SCRANTON PA 198° 4.8 22
yellow - uhf WVIA 44 PBS SCRANTON PA 196° 4.8 44
yellow - uhf WBRE 28 NBC WILKES-BARRE PA 193° 4.7 28
green - uhf W54BO 54 FMN KINGSTON PA 356° 4.6 54
red - uhf WQPX 64 i SCRANTON PA 41° 14.5 64
red - uhf WSWB 38 CW SCRANTON PA 41° 14.5 38
post #4 of 25 Old 11-22-2006, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I did a search on that antenna and couldn't find any specs on the Range of that( think they might be too embarassed to print? ) Antenna !
post #5 of 25 Old 11-22-2006, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Found a webpage that says up to 40 miles but doesn't give its color rating.

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...0&info=details
post #6 of 25 Old 01-12-2007, 05:47 AM

It would be considered a green level antenna at best...but if your already getting decent picture quality with rabbit ears, it will work fine. Otherwise, steer away.
post #7 of 25 Old 01-01-2009, 06:23 PM

I just picked up one of these. First off, the cable that comes with it is poor quality at best. Buy yourself a piece of quad shield rg6 to use with it, it makes ALL the difference. I am renting a house from a friend, and apparently her ex took the antenna off the roof, as there was a piece of old rg6 there, but no antenna. I told her that if she would let me mount one of these on her house where her old antenna was that I will leave it there for her when I eventually stop renting from her. She was ok with this, so I picked up one of these antennas and proceeded to mount it up, but when I hooked the antenna up I got pretty much no signal, unless I moved the cable around, then it would go to having a pretty strong signal momentarily. Didn't take me long to figure out that the cable was the problem, so I picked up a 50 foot piece of new rg6 quad shield and ran it into the house in place of her old wire, and WOW. Now for a little background. I have a DB8 that I have on a stage light stand set up in the corner of my living room. It picks up relatively well considering that the house I'm in is on the down side of a hill. With the Phillips up on the end of the roof, I can actually get MORE stations than I can with the DB8 that's inside, so this antenna works very well if you have a good piece of wire. I am in Jonesboro IL (zip code 62952 if you want to look it up on antennaweb), and my stations sort of come at me from all directions. I was able to find a spot that allows me to pick up all the locals with a strong enough signal that they don't drop out, which is pretty amazing for this area. Is it a better antenna than my DB8?...no, but it's a LOT better antenna than I thought it would be. I'm very happy with it, and I would reccomend this antenna without hesitation.
post #8 of 25 Old 02-12-2009, 07:57 PM

I was thinking of getting one of these and mounting it on my 3rd floor balcony, but would it have to be grounded? and how are you supposed to have the amp plugged in when the antenna is outside? What about rain?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5000836
post #9 of 25 Old 02-13-2009, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If it's outside it should be grounded, tho if it's in a somewhat enclosed balcony I might not bother. Many amps get their power the coax - don't know about this one. If it's rated for outdoor use rain shouldn't be an issue.

The first thing you should worry about is performance and do you have (or will have) any VHF stations - then this might not be the antenna for you.
post #10 of 25 Old 02-13-2009, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Go here http://tvfool.com/

Read this section "Checking Your Address For Free" and hit the "Start Here" link. Follow the instructions.

And try this antenna station finder, a little easier to understand but with fewer results. http://ota.winegarddirect.com/

That should give you an idea about this UHF antenna. If you find any VHF signals in your area that you want to watch, you will not be able to pick them up with this antenna. You will need a dual band VHF/UHF antenna.

Hope this helps.
post #11 of 25 Old 02-13-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 111
If you have very strong VHF channels, this antenna will work. But its primarily a UHF channel. If you have VHF then use it in the horizontal, not vertical position, that will help. There may be other better solutions though.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #12 of 25 Old 02-13-2009, 09:28 AM

Reading reviews from people that say it worked for VHF. There are a few channels going back to VHF after june. I want UHF channels though like CW and FOX.

How would I ground this thing?
post #13 of 25 Old 05-19-2009, 01:51 PM

Location: Eagan, MN, southern suburb of St. Paul, 16mi from TV Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADXer View Post

I have previously posted about the Stealthtenna capability ro receive TV signals. Another HDTV antenna I wanted to try out is the Phillips MANT940 UHF-only antenna. I do not know how good is the antenna but you can use it both indoors and outdoors. I need to know what is the mileage range I could get with this antenna and is it directional?

Single best piece of advice, mount it horizontally. Most DTV stations are using horizontal polarization so if you mount it vertically as they show in all their pictures, you lose a lot of benefit of surface area.
Also remember to not just settle on just 1 spot for placement. Sometimes 6" up or down or left or right can make ALL the difference. The larger antenna just don't have this issue but antenna only 5" x 8", well you get the picture!
post #14 of 25 Old 05-19-2009, 02:02 PM

Location: Eagan, MN, southern suburb of St. Paul, 16mi from TV Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet View Post

Go here http://tvfool.com/

Read this section "Checking Your Address For Free" and hit the "Start Here" link. Follow the instructions.
And try this antenna station finder, a little easier to understand but with fewer results. http://ota.winegarddirect.com/
That should give you an idea about this UHF antenna. If you find any VHF signals in your area that you want to watch, you will not be able to pick them up with this antenna. You will need a dual band VHF/UHF antenna.
Hope this helps.

Well that's an interesting site! For my local stations (Zip 55122) it wants me to buy a ~$120 antenna, but for KPXM (42+ miles away) it says a $72 antenna is fine!
post #15 of 25 Old 05-19-2009, 02:35 PM

You would get much, much better performance from a 2-bay UHF antenna like this one and a pre-amp such as this one. Depending on the vendor, they might even be cheaper than a MANT940!
post #16 of 25 Old 05-19-2009, 04:12 PM

My MANT940 serves me well. It's small, functional. It pulls in some high VHF stations too. But as it was mentioned, it takes some time to get the precise mounting position for maximum reception. Fortunately once the antenna is in place it seems to retrieve very consistent signals. Also, the antenna is mounted on my patio and I live in an urban area. I can pick up UHF stations some 35 miles away. If you need to pull in stations further afield I suggest getting something other than the MANT940.

_Lazza
post #17 of 25 Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Topics merged.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #18 of 25 Old 06-25-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

If it's outside it should be grounded, tho if it's in a somewhat enclosed balcony I might not bother.

Here is a picture of mine after a lightning strike.... at least what I could find of it...
LL

Screw winDoZe (Yawn...)
Mythbuntu Rocks! Best HTPC ever!!
post #19 of 25 Old 06-25-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Ha~Ha~!

Thanks for the pic.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #20 of 25 Old 06-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoboy View Post

Here is a picture of mine after a lightning strike.... at least what I could find of it...

where was yours mounted? was it grounded? other damage from lightning?
post #21 of 25 Old 06-25-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoboy View Post

Wow. Just...Wow.

Always tweaking, modifying and re-arranging my electronics....
post #22 of 25 Old 07-13-2009, 09:37 AM

It was mounted on the eve of a roof of a vacation home in the mountains of NC, near Brevard. I think the elevation is about 3000 feet there and we face the north towards Ashville (In case anyone was wondering, performance was just ok'ish, was thinking of replacing it anyway).

Yes it was grounded. The coax came down the side of the house and was grounded to the same rod as the electrical panel via a grounding block. Then inside to the basement and attached to the included Amp that came with this antenna, then accross the house to the TV.

The Amp blew-up as you can see in the picture, I think that the Amp saved the TV, because there was no damage to the TV.

Collateral damage list is weird....

The control panel to the well pump was damaged and had to be replaced, it is located on the other side of the house, $400+.

The agitator motor to the washing machine burned out and had to be replaced, it was located near the pump control panel, maybe 8 feet from it. $200+.

The worst though... The fridge shut down and did not power back on, does not appear to be damaged and is working now, though there was about 80LBS of Venison in the freezer. It leaked out on to the hardwood floors and rotted and seeped through to the basement. Worst smell ever!!!

The fridge is located in the center of the house. Lightning does some weird stuff!

Have since mounted an HD1080 under the deck about 4 feet off the ground. Did not ground it this time, thinking that the house will have to get struck first instead of my grounded "lightning magnet". (Performance is substantially better even though antenna is only at 2960 feet versus 3000 last time.)

Screw winDoZe (Yawn...)
Mythbuntu Rocks! Best HTPC ever!!
post #23 of 25 Old 08-21-2009, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I think that the Amp saved the TV, because there was no damage to the TV.

Heh, yep. Like a quick fuse. If it had been built better, it may have damaged the TV.
post #24 of 25 Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 AM

Will the pre-amp that is included with the Philips MANT940 be good enough to power three televisions (with splitters)?
post #25 of 25 Old 01-07-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Who knows?
No need to bump a bunch of old threads on this same antenna.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page