Most current Comcast HD STB 11-2006 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-28-2006, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since this is my first post, I would like to mention this forum has been very helpful in my decision to purchase my first HDTV (Toshiba 62HM196). With that being said, I have Comcast in the Twin Cities (MN) and I am bringing my Motorola 3412 I in to exchange with a new box. The DVR has been giving me issues and this was advised to me. I want to make sure I receive the most current STB Comcast uses for HDTVs with DVR capability. I will be using the HDMI output on the box and hopefully nothing else. I read in another thread some of the Comcast Motorola boxes do not support the HDMI output. Is this a fact or was something not set up properly. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-28-2006, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
"I read in another thread some of the Comcast Motorola boxes do not support the HDMI output. Is this a fact or was something not set up properly."

It's a fact, the first two generations of the 6412 had DVI outputs.

Ideally you'd want to check the Local Reception forum for a thread for your area to see what the most current equipment your local Comcast office stocks, it can vary from place to place.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-28-2006, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Check with them that the connector is supported within the box. You can simply get a DVI-D to HDMI cable, or purchase an adapter that will do the same. With it though, you will also need to run a set of RCA cables for the sound since DVI doesn't support that like HDMI does. The DVI connector in my area is supported with the Comcast high def box.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-28-2006, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Check to see if they have pushed the latest Moto firmware that is breaking the DVI outputs on their boxes, I forgot about that one.

Matt
post #5 of 12 Old 11-28-2006, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

THanks for the help, but all in all, is the 3416 or 6214 (I think that's the number) dual tuner HD STB the newer release?
post #6 of 12 Old 11-28-2006, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Well, re-reading the first reponse. It looks like the 6400s are the old one. The 3416 must be the latest. I'm pretty sure this is the Phase III box.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-28-2006, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

The 6412 Phase III is the most current model in that line, it includes an HDMI output. The 34xx series I believe are all digital for systems that are starting to offer channels 2-99 in digital instead of just analog.

Matt
post #8 of 12 Old 11-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

A lot of useful information is on Wikipedia regarding the various Motorola STB models, including the three flavors of 64xx, the 34xx, etc. My install from a few weeks ago appears to have been a 6412 "phase II", meaning DVI. It also had fairly old firmware. But, everything works, so I'm not looking for any immediate "upgrades".

Doug
post #9 of 12 Old 11-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Check with them that the connector is supported within the box. You can simply get a DVI-D to HDMI cable, or purchase an adapter that will do the same. With it though, you will also need to run a set of RCA cables for the sound since DVI doesn't support that like HDMI does. The DVI connector in my area is supported with the Comcast high def box.

I'm using optical, not RCA; there are SEVERAL audio and video options. For most people, DVI versus HDMI matters the most, but both have component, composite, etc. in addition. A lot will depend on exactly what connections need to be made, and what inputs are available on the TV / A/V receiver / whatever.

Doug
post #10 of 12 Old 11-28-2006, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

The only STB they had availible at the office was the 3416 phase I. I thought the 6400 series did still have the analog tuner in it. I suppose I could be wrong.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-29-2006, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

As I understand it, mostly from the Wikipedia info, the 34xx are for all-digital cable systems, while the 64xx are for systems where both digital and analog signals are provided.

Doug
post #12 of 12 Old 03-12-2007, 09:35 AM

I recently signed up for Comcast's DVR service and the Moto 6412 they gave me (I picked it up at the Comcast office) was DOA when i connected it (I could record programs, but could not play them back). When the technicican came to my house to diagnose the problem, he replaced the 6412 with a 3416...he said its a newer design. The Owner's Manual for the 3416 says its for digital-only reception...cannot be used to recieve analog channels. It works great. So this seems to indicate that my local Comcast (Knoxville, TN) is transmittiing all channels in digital now.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page