How to Add Extra Conponent input? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone. I recently bought a Samsung 32 inch HDTV that comes with only 1 conponent input which I use for my home theatre/dvd player. I also have the Xbox360 which also uses conponent (I do not want to use vga). As you can see, I need a solution where I can have both my Xbox360 and dvd player connected to my HDTV 24/7 without unpluging anything. I know Xbox360 plays dvds too, but I want to use my kickass 5 disc dvd player, the 5.1 surround sound is also connected to the dvd player.

I did a google search, all I can come up with is the "master conponent controller". The thing I'm not too sure about is, when I use my Xbox360 I have my dvd player on so I can use the 5.1 surround sound. The master conponent controller will display the dvd player if it's on, or will display from the xbox360 if the xbox360 is on. What if I have both dvd player and xbox360 on?

Can anybody suggest some switch box, or if anybody have a solution. It's just too bad the Xbox360 doesn't have HDMI cable yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 12-12-2006, 03:47 PM

I think most automatic coMponent switchers will have some sort of precedence applied to decide which input to display in the case where more than one is active. The Audio Authority 1154A, for instance, has a default ordering but you can open it and set some DIP switches if you don't like the default behavior. My 1154A works just great at switching automatically, but there are various other product options from manual switch boxes to remote-controlled switches. Mine is set up with my 480p 5-disc DVD changer as "least important", then PS2, then xbox360 (w/HD-DVD accessory), then LinkPlayer2 as "most important". There's also a button on the front to manually lock in a source.

From what I have read the xbox360 won't support an HDMI connection in its current board rev...
post #3 of 47 Old 12-12-2006, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Just go to RS and get some RCA Y-connectors. I used them for a long time, before my college aged son got his own HDTV, to connect my DVD player and his Xbox 360 to one set of component inputs on my TV. The only qualifier is that you cannot use both at the same time, but I don't think you can watch a DVD while playing Xbox anyway. And, maybe I'm too old or my eyesight is really bad, but I could not ascertain any loss in video PQ using this setup. There's no switching involved and it'll cost you less than $10. Good luck.
post #4 of 47 Old 12-12-2006, 07:29 PM

Liked: 14
Digital Connection sells component video switchers. www.digitalconnection.com but they are expensive. You might try ebay for a Key Digital Flash 4 or other component video switcher.
post #5 of 47 Old 12-13-2006, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

thanks you guys. wow, this forum people actually reply and are really helpful everytime.
post #6 of 47 Old 12-14-2006, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
An audio receiver that has component switching capability is a good solution also. This is what I use.

Rick R
post #7 of 47 Old 12-15-2006, 08:54 AM

The Y connectors are simple, elegant, and cheap. Has anyone else used this solution?
post #8 of 47 Old 12-15-2006, 09:08 AM

Saw a component switch at Wally World the other day for $29.

"The two most abundant substances in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity. Not necessarily in that order"
post #9 of 47 Old 12-15-2006, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

where is wall world? I lvie in vancouver. I can't seem to find any conponent switch of any kind. I already tried radio shack./circuit city and best buy.
post #10 of 47 Old 12-15-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardianflash View Post

where is wall world? I lvie in vancouver. I can't seem to find any conponent switch of any kind. I already tried radio shack./circuit city and best buy.

Monoprice.....http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

Buckle up and hold my beer I wanna try somethin'
post #11 of 47 Old 12-15-2006, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Guardianflash,
BestBuy here has two HD capable selectors used frequently for games. They have four in, 1 out and a remote control. In/out are component, stereo pair, fiber and ethernet.
$109 in Houston.

TerryB
post #12 of 47 Old 12-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexmi View Post

Monoprice.....http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

The monoprice switcher works great. Use one on my son's computer setup. Received it today and set it up this morning. Even comes with a remote.

-dvd player, directv and playstation.

$31.50 plus frt.

the better y connectors will cost at least $20 or more for the set. a few bucks extra $15 gets you a switcher.
post #13 of 47 Old 12-16-2006, 11:51 AM

I love the Monoprice price (no pun intended) but is there a comparable model that supports optical audio?

Peace!
Sygyzy
post #14 of 47 Old 12-16-2006, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know any that would be auto switch within the $30-$50 price range like the monoprice. Like if I turn on my dvd player, then turn on my game console, it would display my game console without having to press a button on a switch.
post #15 of 47 Old 12-17-2006, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
$31 for the 4-in-1-out Monoprice versus Zektor's $260 HDS4.1 is quite a dramatic price difference. Wonder how they'd compare passing the highest frequencies with test patterns such as HDNet's Sunday a.m resolution wedges? Here, because my current cable STB and perhaps cable system limits resolution to ~1290 lines maximum horiz. res., that test might not be valid. -- John
post #16 of 47 Old 12-18-2006, 06:49 PM

Been away for a few days. Sorry for the delay. "Wally World" = Wal-Mart

"The two most abundant substances in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity. Not necessarily in that order"
post #17 of 47 Old 12-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post

I love the Monoprice price (no pun intended) but is there a comparable model that supports optical audio?

I would like to get the Monoprice model for the bedroom, since I don't have a surround system there. I would also like to get an additional component switch, but I would like this one to support optical audio for use in the room where I have the HT setup. Any options that are similar to the monoprice product in price range?

HD-A1 + XBOX Add-On + PS3 = Format Neutral
post #18 of 47 Old 12-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

The monoprice switcher accomodates analog audio (l+r) and coaxial digital audio.

The unit works great...also cant beat the prices on cables there either.

Using it with directv hd, playstation, dvd player, and Ipod.
post #19 of 47 Old 01-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Just got the monoprice switch. I haven't used it, but I opened it up.

It is using the Toshiba TC4066BP chip. It has six of them, each supports 4 switches. Each input "block" has 6 inputs (Y, Cb, Cr, analog L, analog R, and spdif) so 6 are needed. I only write this because I was initially surprised to see 6 of these Toshiba chips and this explains it.

Anyway, I'm a little concerned because (to the best of my ability to understand) the TC4066BP appears to have a -3db cutoff at 30Mhz. See http://www.toshiba.com/taec/componen...nc//152/61.pdf.

A bit low considering 1080i/720p uses 37Mhz. Box does explicitly state 1080i and 720p support...

Well... what can you expect for $30+ dollars? I'll try it out and see how it performs.

I'm also interested to hear what others think.

... Altan
post #20 of 47 Old 01-07-2007, 01:52 AM

So anyone else have opinions about the monoprice component switch? How does it perform MadMyers?
post #21 of 47 Old 01-07-2007, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

I use the monoprice switcher in my son's room for directv and playstation on an hd monitor and it works fine. You also can not go wrong with their cables either. The component cables were inexpensive...a steal in my opinion.

Do you really expect to see a sizeable difference on the monoprice $30 switcher vs a $300+ one?

doubt it.

Save the money and put it towards another gadget ...like an hd dvd.
LL
post #22 of 47 Old 01-07-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You can buy a optical switcher to use with that. I got one on Ebay for around $15. No remote though, you have to get up and change it.
post #23 of 47 Old 01-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

I have decided the monoprice is no good for HD (720p, 1080i). It's probably fine for SD (480i/480p). I performed two separate tests that led me to this conclusion.

1) I setup a test where I feed an alternating on/off dot pattern using 720p. I found this available here. Without the monoprice switcher, you could clearly see the individual dots. I then added the monoprice switcher and the image became almost gray. Clearly it doesn't have the bandwidth to properly do HD. This is consistent with my previous concern, posted above, where I stated the datasheet for the chip used in the switcher was at -3db at 30Mhz).

2) I did the stress test where you feed the output back into the input. Specifically, using only the Y/G source connector

Source Y/G goes to Monoprice Y/G IN
Monoprice Y/G OUT goes to Monoprice Cb IN
Monoprice Cb OUT goes to Monoprice Cr IN
Monoprice Cr OUT goes to display device

This causes the Y signal to go through the switch 3 times. With this test, no image would display at all! I adjusted the setup so that the signal only went through 2 times. With this you could see an image --- but only if the image was dark. For some reason the brighter signal didn't work at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0725 View Post

Do you really expect to see a sizable difference on the monoprice $30 switcher vs a $300+ one?

doubt it.

Save the money and put it towards another gadget ...like an hd dvd.

I agree good component switchers are insanely priced. That is why i tried out this one. Having said that, you will lose about 1/2 of your HD horizontal resolution with the monoprice. I'm certainly interested if others run these same tests and see same/different results.

... Altan
post #24 of 47 Old 01-08-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

I have decided the monoprice is no good for HD (720p, 1080i).

I wanted to buy this cheap component switcher, but I'm disappointed by this response. Can anyone recommend a component switcher with a reasonable price? Something that can deal with optical audio would be good.
post #25 of 47 Old 01-14-2007, 02:01 PM

I thought I'd bump this as I just got the same Monoprice switch shown above and have to agree - it has a very noticeable effect on picture quality. I have a Wii and Xbox 360 hooked up through it, and while the Wii at 480p doesn't look bad, the 360 at 720p looks bad, especially in menus or anywhere that there's sharp lines and cutoff.

While I guess you should say you get what you pay for, I'm a little disappointed. I mean, how hard is it to make a switch that doesn't screw with the PQ? Anyway, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, as I'm sick of swapping cables around and I'm all out of component inputs.

From what I've read, the Monoprice Y-splitters induce noise as well. Are there any sub-$50 options for getting another input?
post #26 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

BobDobalina,

It's good to see I'm not the only one who noticed this product doesn't perform up to spec. I haven't found a quality component switch for less than $125. Ugh.

Also, for the sake of having others avoid purchasing sub-par products, the monoprice switch is labeled as "AT-CW-41". A quick search on the net shows that this product is apparently made by Atlona (http://www.atlona.com/home.php?cat=298). I highly suggest avoiding this product, whoever is selling it. Some people are selling the AT-CW-41 for $80 or $130! Watch out. At least monoprice had a low price...

... Altan
post #27 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

which component switch do you suggest.
post #28 of 47 Old 01-19-2007, 07:34 AM

Well, for me at least the answer is to buy a new receiver, an Onkyo 504. It's $170 at ShopOnkyo, $10 off if you sign up for their club, with free shipping. With the $$ I can probably get for selling my current non-component receiver it'll probably set me back less than $100, which is less than a proper component switch apparently. I'm hoping the PQ is ok when going through...I'll be sure to let ya'll know if not
post #29 of 47 Old 01-19-2007, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you go through Audio Authority's main site, they will link you to dealers that sell the AA1154a for around $150. It's a great switch that will pass component, optical and coaxial audio and transcode.
post #30 of 47 Old 01-24-2007, 08:52 AM

I just got the monoprice switcher today. I'm going to test it tonite to see if I notice a signal loss. I did see a switcher made by Cables To Go on Amazon that has really favorable reviews, though. I will try it next if I don't like the monoprice which I probably won't. Looks like it's priced around $50/$60. Just search Amazon for the "Impact Acoustics A/V Selector".
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page