D*: can 5LNB dish go on roof? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had an installer come out yesterday. Said that in the back of my yard, he cannot get a clear signal because my house blocks it. I line in a 3 story townhouse.

Can this dish go on my roof and replace the 3 LNB I have installed? I know they go on different size polls, but the installer said that it is too big to be put on a roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkh1978 View Post

I had an installer come out yesterday. Said that in the back of my yard, he cannot get a clear signal because my house blocks it. I line in a 3 story townhouse.

Can this dish go on my roof and replace the 3 LNB I have installed? I know they go on different size polls, but the installer said that it is too big to be put on a roof.

With a bigger sturdy enough mount it shouldn't be an issue. This is not a C band dish we're talking about.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I'm new, so I do not know what the C band dish is. I'm guessing thats for non-Directv and is the typical other kind of satellite.

Do the professional installers that Directv hires be able to supply an appropriate mount?
post #4 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

C band dish is a huge dish (like 6+ ft).

I assume they'd have the correct mount since they do new installs also for which you need the mount. The only question is whether they'll provide it free.

You could have some reluctant installer that doesn't want to go on the roof.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

With a bigger sturdy enough mount it shouldn't be an issue. This is not a C band dish we're talking about.

believe it or not i have actually seen a house with a c band dish on it the house was not all that big and it was in a development.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

believe it or not i have actually seen a house with a c band dish on it the house was not all that big and it was in a development.

That's probably rare and did some strengthening of the roof to support it.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Roof rafters in snow country are plenty big enough to hold a 5LNB dish. Some installers are just intimidated by the idea of working on a roof and or don't have the equipment to find a rafter. Whenever I go up there to check or work on a dish or antenna, I get the willies for a while before I get used to being up there. It can be scary. I guess a high wind, no snow area might mean a higher wind load on a lighter rafter to the point of causing a problem but I doubt it. 5LNB dishes should also be mounted with two struts called monopoles to create a tripod effect. It's very strong but takes a little more time. DirecTV contracted installers get paid very little and want to spend as little time as possible at the job site. Paying an experienced professional a decent amount out of pocket to do a better job than a DirecTV subcontractor may be worth it.

Pat

While I may link to and mention products as examples, I don't recommend specific products.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

That's probably rare and did some strengthening of the roof to support it.

you are probably quite correct in your assumption but i'm just wondering could they have just put a 2x6 on the roof and nail to the underlying rafters . it looks like the dish is on the roof peak .
post #9 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

you are probably quite correct in your assumption but i'm just wondering could they have just put a 2x6 on the roof and nail to the underlying rafters . it looks like the dish is on the roof peak .

Could be - depends on the construction of the roof and the load of the dish.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

How much do you think it owuld cost to get a professional installer myself? (of course approximate). But then I'd have to pay for the dish, and multiswitch,etc...
post #11 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How much do you think it owuld cost to get a professional installer myself? (of course approximate). But then I'd have to pay for the dish, and multiswitch,etc...

You can still get the equipment from D - just have it installed by a pro. The install cost varies by the installer and how much he has to do - and he might want more to do it in bad weather.$100-$200?
post #12 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm a D* sub, have an hdtv, and no HD reception. If you like, send me a pm and I'll tell you a story.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 06:54 PM

I have my at9 dish installed at the edge of my roof. I purchased the antenna from Ebay and installed it myself. Since it was installed at the edge I could see the rafters and I made sure it was centered and lag screws went into them.

At the time the outriggers were not available. I have now purchased them but not installed them yet. I have gone through several Santa Ana wind storms with no problems.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-28-2007, 07:25 PM

I have directv in Michigan. They installed the 5lnb dish on my roof, no problem at all.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page