How to hook up a HDTV, HD cable box, DVD, and surround sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-29-2006, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The cable company installed an HD cable box and TV for me and all they hooked up was a coax cable from the wall to the cable box and component video and audio cables out from the cable box to the TV. They said that is all I needed.

Since then, I got a HDMI/DVI cable and analogue audio RCA cables to connect out from the cable box to the tv. But, when I select the HDMI source on the TV I get video, but don't get audio. What is the problem there?

Also, the cable box's instructions say to connect a splitter from the main coax cable and connect a cable to both the cable box and the tv. Do I need to do this?

The TV is a either a Panasonic CT-30WC15 or CT-30WX15. The cable box is a Motorala DVR/HDTV tuner.

I also just purchased a Sony Wega 970 that I need to hook up in a similar way.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-29-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For a CRT TV you're probably better off staying with the component connection you already had. The connection will be the same on the Sony. Save the HDMI input of the TV for future peripherals - like a DVD player.

The reason for the splitter and direct connection of the coax to the TV is to be able to tune/record something on the DVR and watch something else on the TV. In that case you'd use the TV's built in tuner instead of the one in the DVR. For clear QAM chs (or even analog ones) you might get better PQ using such a direct connection. If you don't plan to do this, then the splitter and extra coax are not needed.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-03-2007, 02:19 AM

I'm no expert, but I think you might try an optical cable like this one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

Let us know if/when you have audio.

I have a similar problem.
My cable box only has DVI out (but I have heard Time Warner has a HDMI box) and I want to hook it up to my XBR3, but the audio will go to my HTIB. I hope it will be ok, I plan to use an optical cable.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-03-2007, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Optical cable from you cable box to you A/V reciever, that's all you need. The A/V reciever will provide the sound and the TV will provide the picture.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-26-2008, 05:53 AM

My new ln46a550 arrives today. I have a comcast standard cable box. Do I need TO GET a HDTV cable box?
post #6 of 7 Old 06-26-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
And a "ln46a550" is (hi ho, off to Google I go...) a Samsung 46" LCD HDTV. According to the specs on Samsung's web site, it has a "clear QAM" tuner. Therefore, if you plug your cable directly into it (no cable box), you should be able to get whatever digital channels (including HD) Comcast does not encrypt in your area. This probably means only the local broadcast channels (NBC, ABC, etc.). For other HD channels, you'll need Comcast's HD box, and you may have to subscribe to an HD tier.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-26-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Try the local reception area for a thread for your area to see what other Comcast users are getting via QAM.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

As jtbell pointed out, if you want any premium HD channels, you'll need to upgrade with Comcast.

Welcome by the way, please feel free to open new threads vs digging up old ones if you can't find anything current that pertains to your question. Enjoy the new TV.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page