Problem with Motorola DCT6416 III DVR...not able to record TO the DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-07-2007, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a troubling question that I hope someone can help with. I just got my HD DVR and cable internet hooked up today in a new construction zone (after three months of wrangling) and the DVR that Insight Cable gave me seems defective. It's the Motorola DCT6416 III, which looks visually just like the 6412 (maybe a larger capacity hard drive).

Anyway, after the tech left, I was trying to program a recording for tonight's new 'LOST'. What happens though is that the only option I get is "Record to VCR". Now I tried it, thinking it was a common typo, and nothing. The recording doesn't start.

Now I don't know if there is a firmware hack, some sort of solution available online and in the internal menu, or what...but needless to say this pisses me off.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-07-2007, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm assuming you verified that you have a DCT6416 and not the non-DVR 6400.

Are you getting all of your digital cable channels? If you aren't getting those channels, then chances are the box hasn't been able to acquire a connection to the provider to download the appropriate software.

If you can tune digital cable channels but can't record, then clearly there is something wrong with the box or its software. I would request a service call and have them swap it out. Don't let them leave this time until it is working.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-19-2007, 05:22 AM

We have two of the DCT6416 DVR's. On one If we press the DVR button it says "DVR Service is Unavailable", the other one works just fine. We tried call tech support from Insight but they said it should be working, we game the number on the bottom to them over the phone and they were able to power it off and then power it on over the phone. It still didn't work, I even tried to leave it unplugged for about five minutes but still no success. If we go into menu then into previously recorded shows the 3 we had are gone. Ive searched thru many many threads on here and several other sites and could not find any posts that helped. So if anyone has any Idea's we would appreciate it, we don't want to have to pay for a tech to come out we are already pay them for poor service. We probably should have stayed with ATT. We also cannot pause or rewind on the one box, but the other is just fine. Thanks again.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-19-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Can you watch LiveTV with it? If yes what happens if you push the record button while watching LiveTV?
What happens if you push the record button when looking at a program channel listing with the Guide?
post #5 of 7 Old 12-19-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

DVR service is not activated on your box.

The DVR functionality does not work unless your provider specifically enabled that option on your account.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-19-2007, 05:07 PM

Yes, we can watch live tv, I think it says something about recording to the VCR. Other than that the DVR function is enabled on our account it worked for the first two weeks. We have two boxes, one in the bedroom and one in the living room. Both of them worked just fine, until just the other night. One of them stopped recording shows, and it wouldnt let us pause or rewind. And when we tried to go into our previously recorded shows they were gone. We called Insight and they said it should be working. Which it is on one of our boxes. Thanks Again.

"We have two of the DCT6416 DVR's. On one If we press the DVR button it says "DVR Service is Unavailable", the other one works just fine. We tried call tech support from Insight but they said it should be working"
post #7 of 7 Old 12-24-2007, 03:44 AM

Anyone have any Idea's what it could be? We decided to switch our two boxes around to see what would happen, so the good one is now in the bedroom and working just fine, the other one that wasn't working right is now in the living room and still wont let us control live t.v. or record any shows. After being out there for a few nights it started making a loud noise kinda like a hard drive when its booted up. So I'm wondering if we just need our box replaced. I mean we are paying to have two DVR's. Does anyone think it is just bad or worn out? Its not like it was brand new when they brought it here. We appreciate any ideas or input. Thanks.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page