Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 147 Old 02-15-2008, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_77 View Post

Also, are they still available? I am unable to find them on Best Buy's website.

RS has a clone:

http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...%2FUnder+10%22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 147 Old 02-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, Radio Shack has the smallest one right now that is available new in stores. As I understand it, Best Buy pulled theirs from shelves, but they can be found on Ebay.
post #123 of 147 Old 02-16-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you. Is Insignia or anyone else coming up with a new model?

I have to believe there is a market for portable TV's. Granted, the fad is to get to huge screens, but they just aren't needed for all applications. It shouldn't be hard to get a TV under 26", but some manufacturers (Sony in particular) have no models under 26".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #124 of 147 Old 02-16-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Interesting "reviews" of that product on the Radio Shack site. Nearly all of them say that the antenna reception sucks. I was surprised to see that Radio Shack alloweed such reviews.
post #125 of 147 Old 02-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have to believe there is a market for portable TV's.

IMHO the lack of current market demand, cost of components and the future possibility of WUDs (white space devices) are all reasons for manufacturers to be cautious about introducing truly portable digital TVs. One of the scary things about the WUDs is that their antennas probably won't be any better than the tiny Insignias.
post #126 of 147 Old 02-16-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I think the cost of manufacture and battery life are the two biggest factors inhibiting the proliferation of small screen TVs at present.

FWIW, I don't think anyone has introduced a new model of 13" ATSC cathode ray tube TV in the last year. I scoffed up a Dynex at Best Buy a year ago for $99, but that model is no longer available, and all I ever see on anyone's shelves in that size range now is a 14" TV (RCA, maybe) that has the world's slowest autoprogram and channel change functions. If my 13" ATSC test TV ever breaks, looks like I'll have to buy a $200 flatscreen, which might be awkward for my use as a portable headend test TV.
post #127 of 147 Old 03-05-2008, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder if we will see this in a US version with an ATSC 8VSB digital television receiver inside?

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...OPIC_ID=107996
post #128 of 147 Old 03-05-2008, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

I wonder if we will see this in a US version with an ATSC 8VSB digital television receiver inside?

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...OPIC_ID=107996

It is DVB-H device, which is also US standard for handheld devices. It does not support HD and it is not free. It does not receive DVB-T so it will not receive ATSC.
post #129 of 147 Old 03-05-2008, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

It is DVB-H device, which is also US standard for handheld devices. It does not support HD and it is not free. It does not receive DVB-T so it will not receive ATSC.

Aren't there other standards for mobile TV in use in the US as well as DVB-H? Isn't MediaFlo also in use or scheduled to be used in the US by Verizon? ISTR that Modeo are using DVB-H.
post #130 of 147 Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Aren't there other standards for mobile TV in use in the US as well as DVB-H? Isn't MediaFlo also in use or scheduled to be used in the US by Verizon? ISTR that Modeo are using DVB-H.

There might be other methods, but those are strictly cell phone. Verizon uses CDMA for their cell phone service. AT&T uses GSM, so it is more likely to use DVB-H, however they are upgrading entire network to 3G, so they may use more broadband streaming video.

However I am against any mobile video that can be watched real time. There are too many idiots driving and talking on cell phones that cause accidents. Mobile Video would make it even worse.
post #131 of 147 Old 03-05-2008, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

There might be other methods, but those are strictly cell phone. Verizon uses CDMA for their cell phone service.

Yep - though my understanding was that Verizon used EVDO purely for decryption key provision - with MediaFlo using a UHF channel (around 719MHz in the US?) for the actual video delivery.

The UK trials of DVB-H also used a cellular data path to deliver decryption keys for the DVB-H video content to be decrypted.

Quote:

AT&T uses GSM, so it is more likely to use DVB-H, however they are upgrading entire network to 3G, so they may use more broadband streaming video.

Yep - that is now in vogue for mobile video in the UK since Virgin ceased their use of DAB space to carry IP video to mobile handsets.

Quote:

However I am against any mobile video that can be watched real time. There are too many idiots driving and talking on cell phones that cause accidents. Mobile Video would make it even worse.

Yep - have to agree.

Wifi streaming seems a better tech for this - as WiFi hotspots seem to be better suited for an application that should be static.

That said - as a commuter - TV on a train has a certain attraction.
post #132 of 147 Old 03-05-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Yep - though my understanding was that Verizon used EVDO purely for decryption key provision - with MediaFlo using a UHF channel (around 719MHz in the US?) for the actual video delivery.

Yes, channel 55 in the US is/will be used for MediaFLO. Some TV stations have been "encouraged," it seems, to get off of 55 early, such as KFMB in San Diego.

Quote:

That said - as a commuter - TV on a train has a certain attraction.

I have heard that the South Korean mobile TV system (T-DMB) works well for this, but that the Japanese system (1-Seg) has been less successful.

I agree that having a Nav system which also doubles as a TV is a dangerous idea, despite any warning screens that would have to be acknowledged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #133 of 147 Old 03-05-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have heard that the South Korean mobile TV system (T-DMB) works well for this, but that the Japanese system (1-Seg) has been less successful.

Yep - Virgin Mobile in the UK ran a DMB style service (which is based on the Eureka 147 DAB standard we use for digital radio in the UK) for a while - but discontinued it recently as the space on the DAB mux it was using wasn't cost effective for the small number of subscribers who used the service.

It was apparently not great - but I don't know if the DAB mux was configured optimally - which the Korean DMB-T muxes may be.

I've also heard 1-seg, based on 1/13th chunks of the ISDB-T muxes used in Japan for OTA HD, is not brilliant on the move.
post #134 of 147 Old 04-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

I was at a Target this afternoon looking at the Audiovox 8" Kitchen LCD TV White (PLV16081) http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...******dp_olp_2 I don't see it listed on their website, but I gather they have carried it for some time. I am looking for reviews on this, but I haven't found any yet. I am just curious if anybody here has tried one of these and, if so, how well it performs.

They have only one review on this unit:

1.0 out of 5 stars Audio issues, March 11, 2008
By D. Heatherington - See all my reviews

We bought this little TV at Target to place on a desk. We use an antenna to receive free off-air signals in the Atlanta GA area. Initial setup and channel scan was easy. It picked up all the analog and digital TV signals that our larger TVs could receive. Picture quality is not as good as our larger TVs but it's only 8 inches and I didn't expect much. All seemed well until I noticed a low chirping noise in the sound. Kind of like crickets. This noise is low but annoying an stays at the same level regardless of the volume setting. It's there even when the TV is muted. After a few minutes the noise really got on our nerves.

We returned the TV to Target and walked over the the TV display where they had a demo version. I set the channel to 14-1 (a digital demo channel in Target) then turned down the volume. The demo TV also had chirping noises. So, bottom line, it's got a design or manufacturing defect that causes annoying noises in the audio that is unacceptable to us. If not for that issue I'd have given it 3 stars.
post #135 of 147 Old 04-11-2008, 04:56 PM
jhe
AVS Special Member

I just got this 7 inch tv. Runs on 12 volts and comes with battery box, ac adapter and car plug. Performance is pretty good long as you connect a real antenna and skip the monopole it comes with. Quite happy with it so far.
Tuner seems not as good as Zenith converter but better than most of my older HDTV tuners.

http://www.lcddigital.tv/7_tv_digital.html

Note they have an 8.4 inch model too, but the others are the old style NTSC.
post #136 of 147 Old 04-11-2008, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I've seen some very small video projectors demonstrated at CES2008:
http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...hones-and-pdas
http://extremetechnology.blogspot.co...projector.html
http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/09/d...to-projectors/
http://www.contentagenda.com/article...dustryid=45198
http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/08/v...ini-projector/

So with receivers the size of USB sticks and projectors not much bigger,
the next "smallest" TV may be pulled out of your pocket to watch a
favorite program projected on the wall while you eat lunch at work.

and
and

post #137 of 147 Old 04-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I am just curious if anybody here has tried one of these and, if so, how well it performs.

I have had some experience with this set. Please see my post #16 on the Portable DIGITAL Television thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=13665117

There are now three reviews on Amazon.com, but they don't have anymore new sets. Good luck!

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883

post #138 of 147 Old 04-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

... Audiovox 8" Kitchen LCD TV White (PLV16081) http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...******dp_olp_2 ...

Broken link.

Here's the corrected link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OQAL4K/

Avio
post #139 of 147 Old 05-01-2009, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
I don't understand why these threads aren't more popular.

A year later and I'm looking for one now, but so far all that had reviews say they all have the same problem with reception.

So has anyone bought one of these that will pick up your local stations?

God Bless,
-Clint
post #140 of 147 Old 05-02-2009, 08:21 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

I don't understand why these threads aren't more popular.

A year later and I'm looking for one now, but so far all that had reviews say they all have the same problem with reception.

So has anyone bought one of these that will pick up your local stations?

I posted this in another thread and i'll paste it below as well:

I recently picked up a neat little 7" Haier LCD TV from Amazon. I'm 29 miles from the Los Angeles towers and the supplied rod antenna barely pulls in any channels no matter how i orient it. But when i connect my Philips (Zenith clone) Silver Sensor i get pretty strong reception on most channels. But the tuner in my Radio Shack DTX9950 DTV converter pulls them in a little better.

Also, the tuner in this TV is QAM capable, and i discovered that it stores and remembers the OTA channel map and Cable channel map separately which really surprised me. I can have it connected to TWC cable straight from the wall and watch all my local QAM "HD" cable channels and analog cable channels, then when i take it down to the garage and connect it to my indoor antenna, i then go into the setup menu and change the setting from CABLE to AIR and the stored OTA channel map becomes available.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #141 of 147 Old 05-02-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I recently picked up a neat little 7" Haier LCD TV from Amazon. I'm 29 miles from the Los Angeles towers and the supplied rod antenna barely pulls in any channels no matter how i orient it. But when i connect my Philips (Zenith clone) Silver Sensor i get pretty strong reception on most channels. But the tuner in my Radio Shack DTX9950 DTV converter pulls them in a little better.

Also, the tuner in this TV is QAM capable, and i discovered that it stores and remembers the OTA channel map and Cable channel map separately which really surprised me. I can have it connected to TWC cable straight from the wall and watch all my local QAM "HD" cable channels and analog cable channels, then when i take it down to the garage and connect it to my indoor antenna, i then go into the setup menu and change the setting from CABLE to AIR and the stored OTA channel map becomes available.

Thanks for the review, many of us who do antenna work or just need a small DTV in general, need reviews on these small tvs... Does it allow you to manually enter a DTV RF channel number and tune it directly, instead of running a scan? How is the signal meter for OTA?

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #142 of 147 Old 05-02-2009, 09:53 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

Thanks for the review, many of us who do antenna work or just need a small DTV in general, need reviews on these small tvs... Do it allow you to manually enter a DTV RF channel number and tune it directly, instead of running a scan?

I'm not quite sure i get what you mean here, but i can enter the actual channel number using the number keys and the dash (-) key on the nice little remote control which takes me directly to that channel (7.1 or 4.2 or analog 5 for instance). I can disable any unwanted channels from the "favorites" list by unchecking them in the setup submenu and the TV will not tune to them when i'm hitting the CH+ key, but if i enter the direct channel number on the remote the TV will tune to that "disabled" channel.

If that doesn't answer the question, tell me what to do and i'll try it

Quote:

How is the signal meter for OTA?

The signal meter is very basic and is displayed along with other various info when i press the INFO key on the remote. It doesn't have a numeric range or any sort of strength bar - the only information it gives is BAD/FAIR/GOOD.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #143 of 147 Old 05-02-2009, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not quite sure i get what you mean here, but i can enter the actual channel number using the number keys and the dash (-) key on the nice little remote control which takes me directly to that channel (7.1 or 4.2 or analog 5 for instance). I can disable any unwanted channels from the "favorites" list by unchecking them in the setup submenu and the TV will not tune to them when i'm hitting the CH+ key, but if i enter the direct channel number on the remote the TV will tune to that "disabled" channel.

If that doesn't answer the question, tell me what to do and i'll try it

That was exactly what I wanted to know, much thanks to you!

Quote:

The signal meter is very basic and is displayed along with other various info when i press the INFO key on the remote. It doesn't have a numeric range or any sort of strength bar - the only information it gives is BAD/FAIR/GOOD.

That is a bit of a bad thing for me, but it would still help with aims and testing... I am thinking about one

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #144 of 147 Old 05-03-2009, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately that seems to be the problem with all of these. I don't understand why someone would make a portable TV that can't tune any stations with its own antenna.

Quote:

I've seen some that are QAM capable, I have a 16:9 LCD 7" that's only NTSC and it will work with all cable channels using a RF>mini jack adapter. But it won't remember the channels as you described which is nice. Each time it's hooked up to OTA, you have to rescan (which is odd for an analog TV), and it also frustratingly assigns virtual channel numbers! If "channel 5" is the first channel it detects, it calls it channel 1!! And so on! It doesn't do that with cable channels.

Thanks.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #145 of 147 Old 05-03-2009, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone heard anything about the Stellar Labs 9" AT-90T? Apparently they only put their name on it because when searching for that model # along with the brand, the only website is MCM. But the model # alone only returns hits from Chinese websites (Lilliput, distributors) and I can't find out who makes it, nor any reviews on it. The specs are also different at every website, MCM even sent me a manual and that doesn't even match what's at their own website! So the specs are unknown.

Another odd thing is the remote has no decimal/period key, so I don't understand how one is supposed to enter digital channels.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #146 of 147 Old 05-03-2009, 06:46 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

Has anyone heard anything about the Stellar Labs 9" AT-90T? Apparently they only put their name on it because when searching for that model # along with the brand, the only website is MCM. But the model # alone only returns hits from Chinese websites (Lilliput, distributors) and I can't find out who makes it, nor any reviews on it. The specs are also different at every website, MCM even sent me a manual and that doesn't even match what's at their own website! So the specs are unknown.

Another odd thing is the remote has no decimal/period key, so I don't understand how one is supposed to enter digital channels.

I also found conflicting information on that AT-90T. I think it's marketed under the Lilliput brand.

Another one i found before i decided on the Haier is the 9" Pegasus BDS-9000TV (at Newegg). There's also a Pegasus ST09 model at various online sites. I didn't take a chance on the Pegasus because i saw one little blurb from an owner that it wouldn't tune some of his local channels with his roof antenna. Supersonic is another brand name offering little LCDs. Ebay is a good place to search for random little LCD TVs too. But this Haier seemed to be the best gamble. The case is a sort of non-slip rubber material and the remote is actually a quality unit like you'd get on a larger portable TV, only smaller. This little TV is pretty solid.

Here's something cute i stumbled upon when i was searching for "small LCD TV" - it's a tiny fake LCD TV for kid's dollhouses - it's 2" tall. I might buy one as a knicknack

Randy

Gallery -
post #147 of 147 Old 05-03-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another one i found before i decided on the Haier is the 9" Pegasus BDS-9000TV (at Newegg). There's also a Pegasus ST09 model at various online sites. I didn't take a chance on the Pegasus because i saw one little blurb from an owner that it wouldn't tune some of his local channels with his roof antenna.

Strange. Thanks for the warning on it!

Quote:
Supersonic is another brand name offering little LCDs. Ebay is a good place to search for random little LCD TVs too. But this Haier seemed to be the best gamble. The case is a sort of non-slip rubber material and the remote is actually a quality unit like you'd get on a larger portable TV, only smaller. This little TV is pretty solid.

The first places I have been looking is at reviews and I have yet to find one that didn't say it couldn't tune local channels. Buy.com has at least one of the Haier units, and users said it had the same problem. I haven't checked them at NewEgg yet (reviews), but I will.

Quote:
Here's something cute i stumbled upon when i was searching for "small LCD TV" - it's a tiny fake LCD TV for kid's dollhouses - it's 2" tall. I might buy one as a knicknack

When I first glanced at that I was hoping, and thought, it was real...."it's a Sony" so it has to be better at reception.

God Bless,
-Clint
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page