DirecTV can't find a signal at my house - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-04-2007, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was all excited to get the big HD package from DTV (especially with all the new HD stations coming online later this year), but when the tech came for installation, he couldn't find a signal. I guess he has to point the dish towards my house and try to get above the roofline & trees (to the east). My house is built into a hill, with the house about 15 feet above street level, a 10 foot rock wall behind it, and a forest of 40-50' pine trees behind that (ground-level for the trees starts at the top of the rock wall). He said he had to go to 50 degrees to get a signal and that he wasn't suppsed to go above 30, so installation was canceled. Does anyone know of any tricks or different types of satelliete dishes that can be used to overcome this problem? I live in Madison, WI... do all DTV dishes have to point to the east in my area?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-04-2007, 12:20 PM

First off, the satellites are to the south, not the east. Line of sight is an issue, there is no way around the fact you need LOS from the dish to the satellite. There are many installation options going as far as putting the dish on a tower but that would obviously not be free. I would get an opinion from another installer.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-04-2007, 04:45 PM

From Madison, you need to have a clear view from 196 to 219 degrees (magnetic), which is roughly south through southwest. Elevation ranges from 39 degrees at 196 to 32 degrees at 219. Recheck it yourself - if it looks like you have a chance, get an opinion from another installer.

Carl
post #4 of 11 Old 03-04-2007, 06:12 PM

This thread at DBSTalk might be of help:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=63277

Good luck!
post #5 of 11 Old 03-05-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDLemu4U View Post

This thread at DBSTalk might be of help:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=63277

Good luck!

Every so often (but not too often) I find something extremely useful and interesting that someone else whips up in their copious free time. This is definitely one of those times!
--
post #6 of 11 Old 03-06-2007, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd say get another opnion directv has a high turnover rate with installers. Many have not been around long enough to see openings to the right area.

Hopfully somthing can be done for you prehapps their was. He may not have wanted to do the extra work...
post #7 of 11 Old 03-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_raisins View Post

I was all excited to get the big HD package from DTV (especially with all the new HD stations coming online later this year), but when the tech came for installation, he couldn't find a signal. I guess he has to point the dish towards my house and try to get above the roofline & trees (to the east). My house is built into a hill, with the house about 15 feet above street level, a 10 foot rock wall behind it, and a forest of 40-50' pine trees behind that (ground-level for the trees starts at the top of the rock wall). He said he had to go to 50 degrees to get a signal and that he wasn't suppsed to go above 30, so installation was canceled. Does anyone know of any tricks or different types of satelliete dishes that can be used to overcome this problem? I live in Madison, WI... do all DTV dishes have to point to the east in my area?

thanks.

So this bozo offered no alternatives, eh? Sounds typical.

The advice offered in the other responses is absolutely correct - get out your phone book or go on Craigslist and find independent installers in your area to get REAL professional opinions. Good luck!
post #8 of 11 Old 03-06-2007, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
An installer that is certified with the www.sbca.com and using a Bird Dog or Texas Instruments digital meter is best. And, no, you cannot use any other dish. The triple sat, aka phase 3 dish does not have the 99 or 103 sat LNB's. All DIRECTV dishes aim at the 101A bird. On the one you need for the HD locals it is the 5LNB KAKU dish. The 110 and 119 satellites follow on differing elevations when you gain 101A. There is no such thing as NLOS, (no sight) on a real home with DIRECTV, only "no approval" per a bad HOA. Try a pole mount or exotic eaves mount. The only thing I wonder about is this forest of dense trees. You get all coordinates from the receiver by entering in your zip code, then use a military compass or inclinometer to gain signal.

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #9 of 11 Old 03-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Oxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterguy View Post

........... There is no such thing as NLOS, (no sight) on a real home with DIRECTV, only "no approval" per a bad HOA. Try a pole mount or exotic eaves mount. The only thing I wonder about is this forest of dense trees. You get all coordinates from the receiver by entering in your zip code, then use a military compass or inclinometer to gain signal.

I would not quite say "no such thing." I have two real houses that have no line of sight to D*. No HOAs either. My house is to the northeast of a higher lot with very tall trees wrapping around my lot. No go.

The lake house is in a deep narrow east west cove. No line of sight due to the ridgeline. No cable either. I can get 5 analog translator signals though.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-15-2007, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

i had a different installer come out last friday. he said there was no problem with the signal - just a couple of tree tops in the very bottom of the southern most section. satellite signal strengths are all 95% except for one in the mid-80%s. i'm not sure what the 1st installer was smokin. everything has been working fine.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-19-2007, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Good point, the installer may have been smoking something bad One reason one box may show lower signal strength then another is the length of cable may be more, (thus more loss). Another is sometimes the KU convertor filter makes it lower on the box.

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page