OTA cable help needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-11-2007, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm building a new house in an area that should have good ota hdtv reception. What I'd like to do is have an antenna in the attic that plugs into the cable system, and allows any tv with an atsc tuner in the house to be able to pick up the attic signal.

I'm not really sure how to go about it though. Will I need to have some special equipment to force the signal though the cables? I imagine I'll need some sort of signal booster. Do I have to tell the electrician to do anything special to the cable lines?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-11-2007, 10:23 AM

as far as antenna's go buy the radio shack 15-2160 uhf antenna. it has a range of 75+ miles and its super small in size.

and use RG-6 cableing...

it doesnt matter how many times you split the signal as long as you have a preamp for the antenna.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-11-2007, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the cable is RG-6.

So I will need to get an electrical outlet in the attic then for the preamp?
post #4 of 11 Old 03-11-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrip View Post

Hi,

I'm building a new house in an area that should have good ota hdtv reception. What I'd like to do is have an antenna in the attic that plugs into the cable system, and allows any tv with an atsc tuner in the house to be able to pick up the attic signal.

I'm not really sure how to go about it though. Will I need to have some special equipment to force the signal though the cables? I imagine I'll need some sort of signal booster. Do I have to tell the electrician to do anything special to the cable lines?

Thanks

Iknow you want to put a OTA antenna in the attaic just couple question to ask, Do you have or can get Cable service in new house ? and /or planning getting Dish also?

-Willie
post #5 of 11 Old 03-11-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
As long as the cable is in the walls to all the locations before the wallboard goes up you're OK. Everything else can be fixed after the fact if it's not right.

It might be a good idea to run the cable from the antenna to some basement distribution room (where other video might be available - like cable).
post #6 of 11 Old 03-11-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieAntenna View Post

Iknow you want to put a OTA antenna in the attaic just couple question to ask, Do you have or can get Cable service in new house ? and /or planning getting Dish also?

-Willie

I might switch to Dish network if I'm not happy with the ota channels, but for now ota is my only goal. As far as I know they will be doing a standard cable install. I will ask them to add an RG-6 and electrical outlet in the attic for the antenna and preamp.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-11-2007, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
If I understand you correctly you plan on running RG6 from the antenna in the attick to the cable distribution box on the side of your house and then you will replace the cable ccompanies cable input connection to the splitter in the distribution box with the cable coming from the attic is this correct?
If yes then you understand that you will not be able to receive any service from the cable company only those stations that you can receive with the antenna?
post #8 of 11 Old 03-11-2007, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

If I understand you correctly you plan on running RG6 from the antenna in the attick to the cable distribution box on the side of your house and then you will replace the cable ccompanies cable input connection to the splitter in the distribution box with the cable coming from the attic is this correct?
If yes then you understand that you will not be able to receive any service from the cable company only those stations that you can receive with the antenna?

I had no idea it was this complicated. I just want to broadcast an ota signal to all my cable outlets in the easiest possible manner.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-11-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:

I had no idea it was this complicated. I just want to broadcast an ota signal to all my cable outlets in the easiest possible manner.

I think we are using the term "cable" differently. "Cable" can refer to the physical line the tv signal travels OR the service from cable companies. For clarification, I'll use "line" for the physical line(s) between the antenna and the tv(s).

If you just want RG-6 line(s) from the antenna to multiple televisions for over the air programming, do as biker19 recommends. Have them run a line from the attic to the basement or a convenient location with access to electricity. There you could install a powered distribution amp and have them run seperate lines from there to where you would likely have televisions. If you are in a marginal reception area, you could attach a pre-amp to the antenna and place the pre-amp power supply in the same place as the distribution amp.

If you with service from a cable company, the above wiring should work. I don't know if it would work for a satellite service though.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-11-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:

I might switch to Dish network if I'm not happy with the ota channels, but for now ota is my only goal. As far as I know they will be doing a standard cable install. I will ask them to add an RG-6 and electrical outlet in the attic for the antenna and preamp.

OK now what I am going to say here you would think it waste of money but it is not. I would run atleast 3 RG-6 Quad coax to each outlet 1 coax for OTA only and 2 for the satellite dish only, if you go with PVR you will need 2 coax cable to it, If you do have acess to Cable service then I would add another to that also. You can not combine OTA with satalite or Cable as they sometime use the same frequency channel as OTA. I would also add a rotor control wire also to the attic again cheaper than trying to pull one later. I would also run a phone line to each outlet also if you go with the Satellite for pay per view you will need to hook up to a phone line. Or you could also have a flex conduit to each outlet and can add cable later by pulling though the conduit.

I don't know what your house plan but there is so many ways to do it.

-Willie
post #11 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

rtrip,

Check the local info & reception thread for your specific location to see what antenna(s) may work best for you. Some markets need VHF + UHF, but others only need UHF only. Still others are UHF-only right now, but will see some stations move back to VHF in 2009.

A good low noise Winegard or Channel Master preamp, installed as close to the antenna as possible (and before the cable splits off to the various outlets) is the best way to amplify the antenna signal.

Do not make the mistake of running only 1 coax to each TV outlet. You only get one chance to do this right before the walls go up. As others have said, run 2 or even 3 RG6 coax lines to each outlet. If you start with OTA only, but later decide to add satellite, you'll need 2. If you add a satellite DVR, you'll need 3 (one for OTA and 2 for the sat DVR).
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page