Zinwell (AKA Winegard) ZAT-600HD STB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-03-2007, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone actually purchased or tried out this box? Actually more of a set-SIDE-box than set-top in form factor. I can find very little on it except that it is branded both ways, and apparently has most of the basic functions up to the component level, but does not include HDMI.

Looks like it is only available from a couple of sources (and at very different prices). Hard to tell whether it's coming or going...any clues out there?

-PhiloT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-05-2007, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I have one.. tho I haven't spent very much time with it, it works pretty well. One flaw, it won't read the ETT's, which are the program descriptions. It read the EIT's, or program titles, just fine. Set up was easy and inuitive, with a fairly qucik scan.
It's OSD is very similiar to the motorola HDT100/101, which I also believe were made by Zinwell.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #3 of 7 Old 04-05-2007, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Do the setup menus etc work on the Composite / S-video outputs as well as the component / HDMI ones ? My single biggest complaint about my Samsung DTB-260F.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #4 of 7 Old 04-07-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

Do the setup menus etc work on the Composite / S-video outputs as well as the component / HDMI ones ? My single biggest complaint about my Samsung DTB-260F.

Yes they do. IMHO, That "omission" in the samsung was at the least "dumb". It basically cripples what would have been a great receiver. Someone didn't think that one through very well.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #5 of 7 Old 12-29-2007, 07:46 PM

Can I use one of these to get hd over my cable provider? We don't get OTA in my area. I'm assuming that this is the same as the ZAT-600 over at newegg for 99.99.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-18-2009, 05:25 PM

I'll drag this old thread up and add my 2 cents. I've had this unit for a couple of months. The picture quality on the channels you can receive is awesome through the component hookup and the price was $80 at Mwave. That's about all the good I have to say about it. The unit has no support, no phone number to call, and the web form at the mfg. web site does not work. In my area most all the stations have split to two stations, one being HD and one being SD. They have a .1 and .2 after their old analog channel designation. A couple of them have different programing on the .1 versus the .2. On one of those this box keeps updating the channel info and if I'm watching the .2 channel it will change itself back to the .1 after it updates. It'll do this crap every 5 minutes sometimes. This may just be my area and antenna. I have a Antennas Direct DB4 antenna and I'm only 15 miles from the towers but I live in the woods with a lot of trees.

OTA DTV has some growing pains I'm afraid. Some programs will not come through and others will on the same channel. There will show no change in signal strength. Nascar on FOX goes blank every time. I can watch my broadcast FOX channel although it is also the one that updates but every time a race comes on it goes black screen.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-18-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy H View Post

OTA DTV has some growing pains I'm afraid. Some programs will not come through and others will on the same channel. There will show no change in signal strength. Nascar on FOX goes blank every time. I can watch my broadcast FOX channel although it is also the one that updates but every time a race comes on it goes black screen.

OTA DTV is fine.
You have specific to your box issues. That unit was new about 2-3 years ago, and since then a lot has changed with box technology.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Reply HDTV Technical