Eagle Aspen ROTR100 DiSEqC antenna rotor - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 224 Old 09-23-2010, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
The idea is to bypass the rotor with the coaxial cable to avoid the inherent loss of two more fittings and the path inside the rotor (though short). I wished they would of dropped the DiSEqC method and went with a dedicated control wire when they changed suppliers. It's a PITA, but by bypassing the rotor, it's more than worth it, for no other reason of eliminating two additional outdoor F fittings.

FWIW, you still should 'zero' the rotor out occasionally depending on how often you turn the antenna. There is still loss of position after a period of time. But, it is 1/10th of a conventional dime a dozen rotor without position feedback.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 224 Old 12-01-2010, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Videobruce,
I am looking a purchasing the Eagle Aspen ROTR100 and have read this thread of messages and I have a question for you in your post #11. In that post you said "BTW, a 'RF' remote surely came in handy as I was able to work the control box from the peak of the roof." Is the RF remote an option, or was that what was offered with it at that time? From what I can see the unit now comes with an IR remote. I am interested in an rf remote. Thanks Lanny
post #93 of 224 Old 12-01-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The remote that is included with the rotor is only a basic remote. No 'RF'.
I originally used a OneForAll 9950, but since upgraded to a URC MX-900 w/ a optional RF base station.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #94 of 224 Old 02-15-2011, 08:39 AM

I have a question. A few days ago when it was really cold (around 0 degrees F) my antenna, controlled by an Aspen Eagle HDTV Rotator model TORR100, appeared to be not pointing as directed so I set it to resynchronize. The controller went into the synchronization mode but the antenna did not move and there is no way to cancel the resynchronization activity. I had to unplug the controller from the power outlet. Now it has warmed and the antenna is simply rotating with the wind like a weather vane and it does not respond to the controller which is still locked in resynchronization mode.

Have the gears stripped???
Are the brakes (if indeed there are any) locked in the off position??

This rotator is less than a year old and should still be under warranty but I cannot find where to contact the manufacturer.

Any help is appreciated.

John
post #95 of 224 Old 02-15-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Yes, the gears are likely stripped.

Contact Pro Brands International for warranty.
post #96 of 224 Old 02-16-2011, 06:18 AM

I have the same rotor. I thought I was being slick by using one wire but am now regretting that choice.

What antenna do you have on the rotor? I probably have the documentation and contact info if you need it. Please let me know if you find out what caused it to fail.
post #97 of 224 Old 02-16-2011, 06:40 AM

Thanks,

I'll have to wait for the snow to melt before I go up the tower to remove the rotator.

Do you have any recommendations for a different brand replacement rotator since I'm not interested in replacing this one only to have it fail again and again.

John
post #98 of 224 Old 02-16-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jccrall View Post

Do you have any recommendations for a different brand replacement rotator since I'm not interested in replacing this one only to have it fail again and again.

John

What antenna(s) are you using & how long is the mast above the rotor?
post #99 of 224 Old 02-16-2011, 01:18 PM

I dialed back and I bought the rotator in March of 2009 not 2010 as I had thought. So the one year warranty has expired. The mast is about 12" long above the rotator and the antenna is a Winegard HD 7084P High Definition VHF/UHF/FM Antenna.

Looks Like I'll be shopping for a new rotator and right now Channel Master seems to be the only one that is in the same price range. For now I'm going to try to point the antenna in a good direction and attempt to lock it there.

If anyone has any other suggestion I would love to hear them.

John
post #100 of 224 Old 02-16-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

That's way too much load for a consumer grade rotator to handle without some type of thrust bearing. How much of the mast extends above the tower?

The antenna alone was pushing it with the light duty Eagle Aspen motor. All those Chinese made units have plastic gears.
post #101 of 224 Old 02-17-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

That's way too much load for a consumer grade rotator to handle without some type of thrust bearing. How much of the mast extends above the tower?

Essentially no mast extends above the tower. The rotator is attached to a stub mast at the tower top. Attached to the rotator is an about 12" mast holding the antenna and a preamplifier box.

The antenna alone was pushing it with the light duty Eagle Aspen motor. All those Chinese made units have plastic gears.

OK. What rotator has steel gears and can handle my antenna???

John

?
post #102 of 224 Old 02-17-2011, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Have the gears stripped???
Are the brakes (if indeed there are any) locked in the off position??

No and no. There are no brakes in consumer rotors. No at this price point!

Quote:

Yes, the gears are likely stripped.

Doubtful. More likely the screws holding the interior plate loosened up and fell off causing the gear assembly to lock. The other possibility, thought I don't believe it is a problem here considering the age of these rotors is the grease drys up. This happens to older Channel Master (and clones) rotors 10+ years old. Cleaning out the grease and added frsh solves the problem ij this case.

Quote:

That's way too much load for a consumer grade rotator to handle without some type of thrust bearing.

No it's not. These 'consumer' rotors (without thrust bearings have handled antennas larger that that for years. Keeping the mast as short as possible above the rotor is the key. 12" is fine.

Please review this;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16502155

post #103 of 224 Old 02-17-2011, 06:01 AM

Thanks Bruce,

Good to know that the gears are metal and I had actually seen that thread but had forgotten that it reported that fact.

I guess I need to pull the rotator off and take it apart to see what is going on -- that is a pain requiring climbing the tower which is not easily accessible.

At this point I do not understand how the antenna is rotating with the wind unless the gears are stripped or motor is being turned via the gear train.

I guess I wonder if the Channel Master 9521A is a worthwhile replacement for the Aspen Eagle rotator?

Thanks again,

John
post #104 of 224 Old 02-17-2011, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Stick with what you have. You won't get the position feedback with any of the other models. That electronic readout control box of that model doesn't solve the lack of feedback problem. Assuming no real damage was done (depending on how many times you tried to force a turn), apply some Locktite (or similar) to the threads and reassemble the unit.

If it looks like it may be a problem, contact the manufacture. They were very helpful.

post #105 of 224 Old 02-17-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

No it's not. These 'consumer' rotors (without thrust bearings have handled antennas larger that that for years. Keeping the mast as short as possible above the rotor is the key. 12" is fine.

Thanks Bruce, I thought the OP was saying 12 feet. (Yikes!!) 12 inches with that antenna should be fine.

Do you think the Eagle Aspen drive unit is as robust as the Channel Master 9521A?
post #106 of 224 Old 02-17-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It would take more than just a thrust bearing for a 12' mast above the rotor.

post #107 of 224 Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 PM

I put the binoculars on the tower today (we had some good wind 25-30 gusts) and the antenna is definitely rotating via the rotator. Not that I thought that it was not since the clamps on the tower and mast were torqued down pretty good.

I'm not climbing that tower until we get some warm weather and calm winds so for now I just view whatever the antenna decides to point at.

John
post #108 of 224 Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM

I have 2 antennas on one 5ft mast, a 91xg and a ya-1713, with a cm7777 amp. I am in NJ and am able to get all NYC channels, and many Philadelphia stations also. Philly will come in if I rotate the antenna (obviously). Want to go with an Eagle Aspen. My 2 antennas are only about 1ft apart, but the reception is good enough for me so I don't need to increase the mast length above the rotor. Also, what is the difference between the gray one (rotr100) and the green one (500065)?
http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Aspen-50.../ref=pd_cp_e_3
post #109 of 224 Old 04-06-2011, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 62
It should work provided you run a separate coax for the rotor. Your CM7777 is not compatible with the ROTR100's pre-amp powering scheme.

I found the installation manual at http://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_f...%20-%20PBI.pdf

Any difference in color is probably due to the manufacturing run or the photographs themselves. The numbers are the model and stock numbers respectively, and represent the same item.
post #110 of 224 Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Forget about Eagle Aspen's "cable-less" system. It's very easy to run rotor cable, and the drive units are all the same CM design anyway. They vary in cotroller box design and featues, however. Remote contol and memory presets are essential.
post #111 of 224 Old 04-06-2011, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The DISEcQ controller is a heck of a lot more accurate and repeatable than the timing-base CM rotor. Once you try the features of the ROTR100, you won't be happy going back to the other controller.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #112 of 224 Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 AM

Hi ,
Videobruce ,is it poss to show how u added the optional wire to the eagle aspen rotr as planning on buying one-however unless I see an image I'm not able to understand how it can be done
Wud much apprec
thanks
post #113 of 224 Old 04-22-2011, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Have you read through my thread? It's in there.
BTW, welcome to the forums.

post #114 of 224 Old 04-22-2011, 08:34 AM

thanks

as per your thread-
"Ok, now for the bad news. There is no free ride with this single cable deal as I suspected. Their specs claim a loss of only 1db per device (2db total). Well, at certain frequencies that is true, but there are a few exceptions.

My measurements with a Spectrum Analyzer show a loss of -4.5db around 780MHz (ch65). There are also losses between 3 & 4db around the following frequencies; 493 (ch 17), 601 (ch 35-36), 675 (ch 47-48) & 710 MHz (ch 53-54).
This doesn't include the loss for each fitting in and out of the rotor & control box (probably around another 2 db total).

On the 3rd attachment, two vertical divisions from the left is 470 MHz and one division from the right is 806 MHZ which is the current UHF TV spectrum. As you can see the trace is anything from flat. I did the test twice checking the 'null' of the scope with just the jumpers in line, then with both units connected.

BUT, there is a easy solution; Run a separate cable (or wire since you don't need to use another coaxial cable for a control signal) as you have done in the past and solder it to a 'F' fitting at either end and run your downlead as before. Done!Ok, then what's the big deal? Repeated accuracy. "[/b]
This is the part i cant understand as I'm a newbie and this is the first time I've even istalled an antenna-ive put up an Antenna direct clear stream 4-which is really clear but directional-thats the reason i'm looking into a rotor and came across this forum -which piqued my interest in the eagle aspen - however couple of ?'s if u dont mind-how does this rotor function in the very cold as I'm in toronto and temp goes down sometimes as low as -35*c and how do i add the other cable as you described in bold
thanks for replying
post #115 of 224 Old 04-22-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Topics merged.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #116 of 224 Old 04-22-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

brianfta; I added text & pics to my 3rd post.
Hope that helps.

post #117 of 224 Old 05-04-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergriff View Post

I have 2 antennas on one 5ft mast, a 91xg and a ya-1713, with a cm7777 amp. I am in NJ and am able to get all NYC channels, and many Philadelphia stations also. Philly will come in if I rotate the antenna (obviously). Want to go with an Eagle Aspen. My 2 antennas are only about 1ft apart, but the reception is good enough for me so I don't need to increase the mast length above the rotor. Also, what is the difference between the gray one (rotr100) and the green one (500065)?
http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Aspen-50.../ref=pd_cp_e_3

Got the rotor today and am planning to keep the 2 antenna's on it, total mast height of approx 3 feet.
post #118 of 224 Old 05-04-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfta View Post

thanks

as per your thread-
"Ok, now for the bad news. There is no free ride with this single cable deal as I suspected. Their specs claim a loss of only 1db per device (2db total). Well, at certain frequencies that is true, but there are a few exceptions.

My measurements with a Spectrum Analyzer show a loss of -4.5db around 780MHz (ch65). There are also losses between 3 & 4db around the following frequencies; 493 (ch 17), 601 (ch 35-36), 675 (ch 47-48) & 710 MHz (ch 53-54).
This doesn't include the loss for each fitting in and out of the rotor & control box (probably around another 2 db total).

On the 3rd attachment, two vertical divisions from the left is 470 MHz and one division from the right is 806 MHZ which is the current UHF TV spectrum. As you can see the trace is anything from flat. I did the test twice checking the 'null' of the scope with just the jumpers in line, then with both units connected.

BUT, there is a easy solution; Run a separate cable (or wire since you don't need to use another coaxial cable for a control signal) as you have done in the past and solder it to a 'F' fitting at either end and run your downlead as before. Done!Ok, then what's the big deal? Repeated accuracy. "[/b]
This is the part i cant understand as I'm a newbie and this is the first time I've even istalled an antenna-ive put up an Antenna direct clear stream 4-which is really clear but directional-thats the reason i'm looking into a rotor and came across this forum -which piqued my interest in the eagle aspen - however couple of ?'s if u dont mind-how does this rotor function in the very cold as I'm in toronto and temp goes down sometimes as low as -35*c and how do i add the other cable as you described in bold
thanks for replying

In exchange for rg6? I have the rotr100, not installed yet, but have no extra rg6 around. What wire can I use that will work for the control of the rotor?
post #119 of 224 Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergriff View Post

Got the rotor today and am planning to keep the 2 antenna's on it, total mast height of approx 3 feet.

No, you should be fine if you mount the antennas like this. (although the photo is with a CM 9521 rotor) Let the 1713 sit right on the top of the unit & put the 91-XG at least 1 foot above it. The wind load will be low & I have found no antenna interaction issues with separation less than the generally recommended 3.5'.
LL
post #120 of 224 Old 05-05-2011, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

RG6 is cable. Wire would be 22-18 gauge two conductor.

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page