Eagle Aspen ROTR100 DiSEqC antenna rotor - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 224 Old 12-08-2012, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Thanks for the return post. There is only one pic in that link you provided. confused.gif

You need at least three guy wires for even support, four is preferred for larger installations (higher masts, larger antennas etc.)
I know TV Fool is popular here, since there is no other choice (Antenna Web is a utter waste), but ignore all those computerized 'guesses' with signal levels etc. It's too bad they can't present the info clearly. instead of cramming all of that in miniature charts all run together that are very hard and confusing to read.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 224 Old 12-08-2012, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is a better URL, I hope: http://sdrv.ms/XClELs

There will be three guy wires.

Which pics should I upload as permanent? I'm thinking:

The not quite full install (Virtual rotator, virtual bearing, virtual mast(
The pic of the 45 degree support.
The thrust bearing
The roof eyes.
post #183 of 224 Old 12-08-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Those photos are enough.

1. You have a small house with th flat roof. A piece of cake to get to,
2. Forget the chimney,
3. All of that eave mount w/ the extra standoff bracket wouldn't be need with the tripod centered on the roof. A lot of extra unnecessary work.
4. Get rid of that tree,
5. Most of that 10' mast is wasted where you want to put it. It needs a tripod.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #184 of 224 Old 12-08-2012, 09:05 AM

Well, the roof isn't flat. It's an "A-Frame". Don't know the angle.

There is a ridge vent through the center of the roof.

There will be two masts. The one that's currently mounted is EMT Conduit. The antenna will be on an Aluminum mast.

I have the best shot to clear most of the tree where the new areal will go. When it was installed there before it fell, I got good reception.
post #185 of 224 Old 12-08-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's almost flat, fairly easy to walk compared to a 12/12 pitch (I think that is what it is called) on a 45 degree slope. wink.gif. Access it from where you have that eave mounted, or use an additional roof ladder if necessary,
Ridge vent is of no concern. You can walk on them if necessary, but with that small slope, you don't have to,
You are loosing most of the height advantage with that mast where it is. over 50% of the mast is below the roof line.

But, it's your install, I'm only making recommendations.

post #186 of 224 Old 12-08-2012, 02:02 PM

I'm in DE, 19808 and the antenna is facing Philadelphia. On the chimney side of the house, I can clear most of the tree and I got good reception. I'll post a TVFool map when I get a chance.

I have to mount the antenna so it clears the chimney cap. The pic that contains the mast with the bearing will have the antenna mounted to it. I suppose the antenna will be about 40 feet in the air.

Not having three guy wires was a BIG mistake. This mount won't go anywhere. The eye bolt on the 45 degree angle thing is rated for 460 lbs lifting.

The tree is not coming down. The roof isn't horrible and it's easier to get on because of a porch roof. I was for the most part comfy when I was able to point (regrout the brick joints) the chimney from standing on the roof. Now the Chimney is lined (metal duct) for just the water heater. The main heater for the house is a high efficiency one and goes out the wall.
post #187 of 224 Old 12-09-2012, 12:16 PM

I added the TVFool results to the URL. With the setup I have now, I cannot get virtual channels 17 and 12 at all.
post #188 of 224 Old 12-10-2012, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

KISS: Are you using just one antenna? Or do you have the two combined in some way - and if so, how? Do you have a preamplifier?

You shouldn't be having serious trouble getting those stations, given your TVFool results.
post #189 of 224 Old 02-09-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have updated the 1st post since things have changed with their distribution somewhat.
Now Winegard Direct is selling these (of all companies). And at the lowest price of the six or so outlets I found.

post #190 of 224 Old 02-09-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I have updated the 1st post since things have changed with their distribution somewhat.
Now Winegard Direct is selling these (of all companies). And at the lowest price of the six or so outlets I found.

Bruce, thanks for the update. I'm getting ready to purchase one of these to go with my ClearStream 4 (http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/ClearStream-4-Ultra-Long-Range-Outdoor-DTV-Antenna.html). Are you still happy with the ROTR100? Do you have any mounting suggestions or tips?

Thanks,
Kelly
post #191 of 224 Old 02-09-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes to the question and there isn't any real difference when it comes to mounting between this and most other rotors, especially considering the design is similar.

That wouldn't be my choice for antennas though. The width & wind loading is greater than most others and could be a issue. More important, it's overpriced.
Maybe something like this;
http://www.abilityhdtv.com/product-info.php?blu420f_14db_high_gain_yagireflector_uhf_antenna-pid60.html

post #192 of 224 Old 02-09-2013, 11:07 AM

RE: #188 Before the antenna fell down, I did pretty good reception wise. It's not back up yet. I had a Wingard AMP and the ROTR100 both fed from two different coaxes (one Rotor control and one combined UHF/VHF), to the basement and the 8200U antenna. The antenna was damaged too.

---

The antenna's that I'm currently using is a real hodgepodge MESS. They were just lying around, One is a UHF and the other a UHF/VHF. Twinlead. There is like two small 10 db amps in the attic. I think the foam twinlead goes to the basement,gets combined, amplified and and coax distributed (for the most part) They go through UHF/VHF amplifiers (An odd radio shack design). I oriented both UHF elements for highest signal strength on the TV meter..

#190: Since I am using the support bearing, things don't quite line up. Earlier, I had replaced the studs with longer stainless studs, but I did not do it on the last time I was up on the roof. I will need longer studs. They have to be heated to get them out and threadlocked.

Somewhere I found similar brackets that were used on the rotor100, so I'll be using two sets to get the bearing and the ROTR to align. The index tab/top stop was

removed. I may not have needed to remove the entire tab if I did the checking first. The ROTOR is just sitting up there. I had to send a rotor for replacement.

The antenna brackets will be stainless too.

---

I just learned of a non conductive guy wire system that I may use, but I doubt I'll change the last mast to fiberglass. Metallic masts do attenuate the signal a little bit. Have info on both items if interested.

Plan:
Select guy wire system
Cut studs for the rotor and bearing and install.
post #193 of 224 Old 02-10-2013, 03:06 AM

Quote:

Yes to the question and there isn't any real difference when it comes to mounting between this and most other rotors, especially considering the design is similar.

That wouldn't be my choice for antennas though. The width & wind loading is greater than most others and could be a issue. More important, it's overpriced.
Maybe something like this;
http://www.abilityhdtv.com/product-info.php?blu420f_14db_high_gain_yagireflector_uhf_antenna-pid60.html

Unfortunately, I already own the ClearStream 4, but it's currently on a static mount. What is width and wind loading?
post #194 of 224 Old 02-10-2013, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Now Winegard Direct is selling these (of all companies).

Actually, it's Solid Signal's site that you end up at if you click on the small banner at Winegard Direct. And SS is now selling them for $100, used to be around $60.
post #195 of 224 Old 02-10-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I added one to my cart, clicked through to checkout and it went to their secure server. Not sure what you did. Did you click on the Google search just below?

post #196 of 224 Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't see any rotors on Winegard.com , but there is a sponsored link on winegarddirect.com for rotors that takes one to SS's website. FWIW, SS runs winegarddirect anyway.

edit: Hmmm... I see what you mean now. I had to SEARCH for 'rotor' to find it, though, (it's listed undet "mounts"). $69.99
post #197 of 224 Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Have you clicked on the first link in the first post??
http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewitem.asp?d=Eagle-Aspen-ROTR100-OneCable-Antenna-Rotator-(ROTR100)&p=ROTR100

post #198 of 224 Old 02-10-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you clicked on the first link in the first post??
http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewitem.asp?d=Eagle-Aspen-ROTR100-OneCable-Antenna-Rotator-(ROTR100)&p=ROTR100

Of course not, this thread is 5 years old... No one goes back and reads the first post of a thread after they've subscribed to it, especially for a while.
post #199 of 224 Old 02-11-2013, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Of course not, this thread is 5 years old... No one goes back and reads the first post of a thread after they've subscribed to it, especially for a while.
1. I wouldn't say "no one", maybe not you, but the 1st post (if done correctly) has a lot of information in it,
2. Just because the "thread" is five years old, doesn't mean the 1st posts are. If you look closer, you would have seen that post was edited with the reason stated.

So before you assume early posts are not worth reading because of age, maybe you should actually read them first before wrongly assuming it doesn't apply anymore. This is a perfect example.

corrected typos

post #200 of 224 Old 02-11-2013, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just read the entire thread.

I am getting an Eagle Aspen 500065 tomorrow and I am trying to decide about a pre-amp (the Tampa station are 70 miles away, but the Orlando ones are only 15-20 so I think a pre-amp would over drive them).

I am also wondering if I should run a separate wire for the rotor. The Antenna (3starinc 4228) feeds a 4-way RCA distribution amp
that feeds:

Outside tv about 40 ft from distribution.

Florida room tv about 20 ft from distribution

Living Room tv about 12 ft from distribution, this feed is split about 1 ft after the distribution amp to also feed FM to Stereo Receiver.

Office Tv about 20 ft from distribution, this feed is split at the device end to feed DTV HR20 and the tv.

So 6 devices after the distribution amp. The amp is about 40 ft from the antenna

If I go with a signal wire set-up for the rotor, will the control signal back feed thru the distribution amp with out any problems?
post #201 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I doubt you can feed power through any DA. Are all these stations in one general direction? Assuming so, I doubt you could use a preamp. You can always try one, but surely not both.
It's tempting to go the intended 'easy' way, but I would never consider it unless you have a very simple situation; no distant stations and no reception issues where the additional loss is no issue. Adding a fitting onto two 6" pieces of RG59, soldering them to a two conductor cable isn't that hard and solves any power feed problem.

post #202 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 AM

The Tampa stations are at 238 (70 miles). The orlando stations are at 78 (20 miles). Jacksonville stations at 350 (100 miles)

I think I could use a pre-amp for the tampa and jax stations, but when I spin it back to Orlando it would be over kill.

After reading more last night I am going to run separate power to the rotor.
post #203 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 05:45 AM

I am a long time follower of this thread. I was hot to trot to buy a rotor, but my heals cooled. Now my heals are hot again, and I am in the market. for an antenna turn-nee-thing again. However the single coaxial signal and power/control feed is less important to me now, well not important at all. What I noticed from last time I was in the market a few years ago is the price of this rotor went way way up.... it was a steal for about $40, cheapest on the market, and now it lists for $99. It is now in wide field of other brands in this price range. I am likely to go with an Antenna-Craft or Radio-Shack for $55. As this thread shows (early posts) using the single feed for both signal and power/control is a compromise, i.e., signal attenuation. Of course it can be used as a conventional rotor. With that said, at it’s current $99 list, it is no longer the interesting steal and bargain it once was to me, single-feed or not. The antenna I'm turning is small; the el-cheap-o-rotors are just as good I am sure as the Aspen 100. My only question is did the quality improve with the price?, because if you read early post you will see the weak link in these units.
post #204 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Lowest delivered price is $77. Yes it's more expensive than a plain Jane rotor, but the benefits out weight the additional cost ($20, big deal).
To answer your question, it's the same design as far as I know.

You are nickel and dimeing this. You need to take a look at Amateur radio rotor costs.

post #205 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 06:45 AM

I went to Hamcation (Ham radio fest) here in Orlando last weekend to pick up an extendable mast (ROHN H30), and thought I would just 'pick up a rotor' while I was there. Cheapest one I could find was a hy-gain and it has a 'show special' price of $399. SO any thing under $100 for a quality rotator is a good deal.
post #206 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 AM

I believe the value of the extra $20 is the Aspen reports back its location to the unit.
videobruce likes this.
post #207 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
My only question is did the quality improve with the price?,

Wholesale prices out of China have increased dramatically over the last few years as their economy has grown and they have begun to develop something of a middle and upper economic class.

You can expect this trend to continue until Chinese manufacturing costs and quality catches up to others in the region, just as Japan and Taiwan did in decades past.
videobruce likes this.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #208 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have had both. I got tired of recalibrating a conventional rotor often due to constant turning and fine turning antenna position. It's not perfect, but a far cry from what was just available before. If you don't see the value, get whatever something else.

BTW, as far as the facts, they were already presented.

post #209 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Bickering removed, infractions issued. Keep it civil.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #210 of 224 Old 02-12-2013, 04:00 PM

VB:

You can definitely use a mast mounted amp and a distribution amp. I was and plan to continue doing that, and I'm sorta doing that now except the "mast mounted" is in the attic.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page