post #211 of 224 Old 02-13-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Now that the interference has gone,

K I S S;
As long as it will pass DC for the rotor if you are going the single cable route.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 224 Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going the dual cable route.

For a single cable route, the Eagle Aspen rotor does have a power pass through, but it has to be Eagle Aspen power and not someone else's. The specs say 17 V @ 50 mA is available to a mast mounted amp. Worth mentioning is that they also recommend a solid copper RG-6 and not copper plated steel, Length limits apply.
post #213 of 224 Old 02-14-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No issue with dual routes since no power is through the antenna feed.
Solid copper is a better power conductor than steel, covered or not.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #214 of 224 Old 02-15-2013, 12:58 PM

Yep about the conductivity of copper clad vs copper. I wasn't even aware of the distinction until I got the EA rotor manual. The full 500' of wire I got for a ex satellite installer for free was indeed copper clad.

As for the antenna feed, it allows the easy possibility of running a mast mounted pre-amp. In my case, I will have the power injector in the attic. The injector does have to endure the high temperatures in the attic in my case.

Although, I've thought about it a little, I don;t like the idea. One could put a DC-DC converter or series regulator after the Eagle Aspen to power a preamp, but I'd rather not. Box, clamp, mounting isn't worth the issues.

I don't really think it makes sense to go any other way except dual conductors. I can't remember, if There is a small piece of siamese cable (dual RG-6) used from the attic to the mast.
post #215 of 224 Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone ever got this thing to work with a Logitech Harmony remote? I know it has to be possible since those things operate just about anything.
post #216 of 224 Old 03-26-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

According to page seven of the manual;
Quote:
USING A UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROL
There is a limited compatibility with many Universal Remote Controls. The rotator may emulate a Toshiba satellite receiver.
It will normally be necessary to program the rotator using the original remote control.
The Universal Control will usually offer the basic functions of Power and Channel (programmed position) UP/DOWN.

post #217 of 224 Old 09-03-2013, 05:56 AM

I'm getting ready to purchase this rotor to go with a ClearStream 4 antenna.

May I ask how you all are mounting this to your roofs? I'm planning on using a DirecTV satellite dish mount with a 5' extension made out of stainless steel muffler pipe. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
post #218 of 224 Old 05-14-2014, 04:54 PM

Resurrecting an old thread, but in doing some searching around for some things about my Logitech Harmony Remote, I found this:

http://208.74.204.120/t5/Harmony-Remotes-Programming/Eagle-Aspen-Antenna-Rotor/m-p/363881/highlight/true#M36030

Apparently the ROTR-100 is directly programmable. It's under the category "Home Appliance" with the Manufacturer "PBI". The model is "ROT-R100" (note where the hyphen is). Not sure what PBI is for, unless it's a parent company of Eagle Aspen, but the bottom line is, it works. I no longer have to mess around with the Toshiba SAT receiver which doesn't jive perfectly, nor do I have to teach commands.
videobruce likes this.
post #219 of 224 Old 05-16-2014, 10:17 PM

If you go her, http://www.eagleaspen.com/site/index.html suspiciously the splash page says Pro Brands International or PBI.

Does anyone know if there are decoded commands available anywhere, e.g. Pronto?

==

Anyone know what happened to the Rotor. You cannot seem too find it anymore. I'd love to get a hold of another control box to play with without fear of destroying it. I have no idea if I could do it, but I thought of something that would be really neat: Email (e.g. SMS message) to up to 5 cell phones the position 10 seconds after stopping. The control box is in the basement.

==

I seem to have a problem where antenna height affects the best rotational aim. I didn't tighten the antenna to the mast the weight of snow and ice caused it to drop about a foot. This subsequently changed my aim by 30 degrees. No idea why. I had another station that I totally lost when the antenna slid down about a foot. Not all of the stations that should be in the same direction are.

Most of the time the antenna stays at one place. I have to tweek when it rains sometimes.

==

I'm basically happy with the install and my pics have been updated.

It is a TB105 thrust bearing method with the screws changed to longer and stainless.
No snag stainless shackes were used to be able to attach Phillystran,non-metalic guys with protected rubber caps.
The turnbuckles are 318 stainless. The locknuts had to be purchased separately.
The cable rope clips are stainless.

The antenna mast is 6 foot aluminum and I plan to upgrade it to fiberglass. The rotor mast is EMT. The masts both have plastic water caps.

The mount is a custom eave mount made from Unistrut. One bracket is like $80. It allows 3 guy wires.

If I did it again, i would get the brackets powder coated. You need two sets on the ROTR100 when using the TB105 bearing. Best to make sure this works on land first.

The Antenna is a Winegard HD8200U and I think the mast mounted AMP is a CM7777. The injector is in the attic about 20' from the antenna and is plugged into a Tripp Lite surge suppressor. There is a metal strap around the rotator. The mast, as of now, does not have a ground rod, but the coax is grounded in the attic. The tree would likely get hit first.

Two RG6 cables have been run. The length is about 75' to the second level of distribution. They are copper clad steel core. A Tin-Lee amp with four 4-way taps are used for distribution.
I have not optimized all of the taps. I have an 8VSB signal analyzer. Noise margin and strength is available.

I'm not aimed at North. My compass was calibrated wrong.

==

I have a pressing Winegard HD8200U question: If you take the end cap off where the element is the smallest, the riveted connection seems to not attach to the boom solidly. Based on some antenna design info on the Internet, I made sure that connection was removed. The connection just depends on how the rivet fit is. All of the other elements are solidly connected to the upper and lower flat conductors respectively above and below the boom except the smallest one.
post #220 of 224 Old 05-17-2014, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
If you go her, http://www.eagleaspen.com/site/index.html suspiciously the splash page says Pro Brands International or PBI.

But, if you go here, Eagle Aspen is listed as one of their "brands":
http://www.eagleaspen.com/site/index-3.html

post #221 of 224 Old 05-17-2014, 09:21 AM

post #222 of 224 Old 05-17-2014, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Not much good without the rotor. frown.gif

You can sign up here to show a demand;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B1V0BC

post #223 of 224 Old 05-19-2014, 01:16 PM

This just in: Consider it obsolete. There are no plants to introduce it to the marketplace because of their inability to stay competitive.
post #224 of 224 Old 05-19-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Funny you posted that now. I just received a e-mail back from Pro Brands and basically the same was said. Looks like another example of Joe Sixpack not wanting to spend another $30-40 more for something far better than the usual dual motor design (one in the rotor and another in the control box) from 3 or 4 decades ago.

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page