Philips MANT-940 Antenna Works Great for VHF - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-01-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Philips Mant940 antenna which is intended for UHF according to packaging on the box, but I receive WESH 2 which is currently being broadcast on VHF really strong (especially since I mounted it outside about 11' feet up). I am not sure why I would be getting this digital channel (belive me I am not complaining!) but why would UHF antenna be picking this up? I am about 38 miles (pretty much over swampland) from the broadcast towers which are in Christmas FL. My zip code is 32129 and I get about 30 digital channels in hi def.

Now if I can only find an OTA HDTV recorder...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-01-2007, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
WESH-DT is really VHF channel 11. Some UHF antennas are adequate for high band VHF.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-01-2007, 11:45 AM

Oh Rats, The ratman beat me to it, He is right. Even at 37 miles away that is good. I have a homebuilt DB-2 and I can p/u DT-11 at 60 miles awayand DT-8 at 43 miles away.

-Willie
post #4 of 11 Old 05-01-2007, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I didnt know that WESH was in the higher VHF frequency. On my old Philips HDTVa it came in as 11.1 or something like that and WOFL (channel 35) came in as 22.3. With this Philips MANT940 the channels are displayed where you would expect them (2.1 for WESH and 35.1 for WOFL). I dont know why that is but again I am not complaining.

I got a CM3010 in the garage in a box waiing for the changeover in 2009 and see where the stations fall out in case they start broadcasting in VHF.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-01-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonD View Post

On my old Philips HDTVa it came in as 11.1 or something like that and WOFL (channel 35) came in as 22.3. With this Philips MANT940 the channels are displayed where you would expect them (2.1 for WESH and 35.1 for WOFL).

The antenna has nothing to do with the way the channels are "mapped". It changed because you probably modified a setting in the TV.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-01-2007, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I got a CM3010 in the garage in a box waiing for the changeover in 2009 and see where the stations fall out in case they start broadcasting in VHF.

99.9% of the stations have already selected their transmitting frequency for 2009. There are a few that selected VHF-lo (particularly channel 6) that the FCC is trying to persuade to change. Almost all the channel allocations are here http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...-06-1082A2.pdf
post #7 of 11 Old 05-04-2007, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Just to follow up I made no changes to the TV other than a new rescan for digital channels. Other than that the only other changes was the antenna change from inside the house using Philips HDTVa (like a silver sensor) to using the MANT940 outside. When I used the MANT940 inside before I used the Philips HDTVa, the channels were mapped differently too..they mapped to where they are now. I cannot explain it.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-04-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Just to follow up I made no changes to the TV other than a new rescan for digital channels. Other than that the only other changes was the antenna change from inside the house using Philips HDTVa (like a silver sensor) to using the MANT940 outside. When I used the MANT940 inside before I used the Philips HDTVa, the channels were mapped differently too..they mapped to where they are now. I cannot explain it.

Antenna could have some affect on the incomming siginal, as my Polaroid could lock on the station enough that it will bring in the channel up but not the corrected channel number and I moved the antenna and had better threshold to get all the PISP data and rescan and the TV remapped the channel right. Not all TV will do it but some it depend on the the tunner the TV have.

-Willie
post #9 of 11 Old 01-06-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post

99.9% of the stations have already selected their transmitting frequency for 2009. There are a few that selected VHF-lo (particularly channel 6) that the FCC is trying to persuade to change. Almost all the channel allocations are here http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...-06-1082A2.pdf

What does this mean? Are the lo vhf channels easier to pick up with a uhf antenna? Also, guys, note that the only place vhf is mentioned for the Philips Mant 940 antenna is page 3 of the instruction manual (see attached).
LL
post #10 of 11 Old 01-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg3075 View Post

What does this mean? Are the lo vhf channels easier to pick up with a uhf antenna? Also, guys, note that the only place vhf is mentioned for the Philips Mant 940 antenna is page 3 of the instruction manual (see attached).

It might be possible to pick up a VHF-Lo with a UHF antenna, if it's paired with 2 8-bay antennas, but otherwise no. I can tell you that this antenna will not pick up 2-6 on it, due to the small size. I have something similar that's a bit bigger, & it doesn't even pick up a single VHF channel, & doesn't pick up all the UHF channels either. Anybody that can get 7-13 with this antenna are lucky. I still do not recommend using any antenna that's made for UHF for VHF-Hi (7-13), since results vary, & my experience hasn't been in my favor for it. For myself, I'm currently using separate VHF & UHF antennas.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-06-2012, 12:45 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg3075 View Post

A) low-VHF would be harder to pick up with a UHF antenna than hi-VHF and are much more prone to interference.

B) This is the 4th thread on this topic you are bumping. Why are you doing that? Can you not keep all your questions in ONE thread?
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page