DirectTv Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-24-2007, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have DirectTv and I want to try and change my local stations. I live between to Washington D.C. and Richmond, VA and unfortunately I got stuck with the Richmond local stations, which do not have any HD local channels. I also live in an area where an off-air antenna will not be beneficial. I do get Fox5 HD out of New York like that's local! I called DirectTv and they told me to contact the local stations myself? Thanks DirectTv! Is there anything I can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-24-2007, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Make sure you have all of the necessary equipment like the 5 LNB dish and the proper receiver. Then "move". Your service is based on service address and not billing address. They are separate fields in the system. If you go to any forum covering satellite TV systems or the Tivo Community sub-forum here, we have been discussing this trick for years.

If you have problems and need a service call, you are out of luck. That's why it is necessary that you can troubleshoot and repair most of your system. If the spot beam for locals is not in your area, you are out of luck. Check it before moving. How? Find the satellite and transponder corresponding to the channels you want and check the signal strength.

-Robert
post #3 of 5 Old 08-05-2007, 09:11 PM

The FCC determines your local market based on service zip code. The local station can allow a satellite provider to send you the signal at a cost but you must submit a request to that station in writing. That goes for regular or HD broadcast.

To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-06-2007, 01:14 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgater View Post

The FCC determines your local market based on service zip code. The local station can allow a satellite provider to send you the signal at a cost but you must submit a request to that station in writing. That goes for regular or HD broadcast.

Hardly any of these requests are ever grqnted.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-06-2007, 02:29 PM

That's right hardly any are granted because the stations operate their territories like a criminal enterprise. It all equates to advertising revenue, which they all are fighting for. If your not in my market and I grant you access, my sister station may then grant someone else in my market access therefore cutting into my number of viewers driving down advertising revenue.

To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page