Coby DTV-140 DTV / HD Tuner - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 55 Old 10-18-2007, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
looks like the dtv-140 doesnt have an antenna out passthrough as well. another negative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 10-18-2007, 04:32 PM

The unit definitely does not have an antenna out (at least it has no connector on the back; perhaps there is a port connection for it on the "motherboard"). The unit definitely does 720p/1089i--but only over the component ports. It does 480p over the composite port.

It does seem to do a fine job of displaying whatever is coming over the air in whatever format (so some shows here are transmitted in 720p, some in 1080i, and I even saw one today in 480i). My monitor just upgrades everything to 1080p.

It does not do such a good job of recognizing incoming aspect ratios and stretching/filling (but then again, only one of my components does--I have to adjust the settings on the monitor for the rest of them). So some stuff looks wide until I change to a 4/3 ratio.

I am having trouble getting my universal remote to be able to control it. I have a call in with the company (who knows? I may have to upgrade some codes). But it would be good if it was similar enough to Panasonic or Sony or whatever to work.
post #33 of 55 Old 10-18-2007, 04:37 PM

This statement:
"hello everybody does the dtv 140 do qam in the clear or catv. thanks."

I do not know that much about DTV standards, so I am not understanding the question. I know there were/are several standards for encryption, but 1) I thought they did not necessarily follow this one for over the air, this one for over cable like they were originall design; and 2) everything I was looking at seemed to be able to decode the two or three standards that get listed.I do know that there is no cabletv/antenna option to set in the menu--it just says digital signal over the air when looking at a screen that shows signal strength.

When I get home, I will read the manual more closely to see if it tells me what the encryption may be. I will also check to see if I can get coax out digital audio working at all.
post #34 of 55 Old 10-19-2007, 11:02 AM

Liked: 12
I've had a DVD Recorder/Player for quite some time (tosh RD-XS35) which has an analog tuner, so have wanted an independent digital tuner to feed OTA digital signals to it. I have an outside antenna to receive local broadcastinig, which I feed into my D* receiver (no locals here via D*). When I use the D* receiver to record a local program to the DVD Recorder, it ties up the receiver. It looks like the Cody DTV140 will give me the flexibility I want. So I ordered it last Tuesday night, and is due here today via UPS Ground. Will comment later as to how things turn out, hopefully as I am expecting.
post #35 of 55 Old 10-19-2007, 11:10 AM

hi there esingollo if the catv option is not listed in the menu then it wont do qam. thanksfor your input.
post #36 of 55 Old 10-20-2007, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Coby DTv-140 Notes

Remember: A sub-$100 STB from a budget-brand mfg. Not a bad unit overall, but has some negatives that if they fix them will make a huge difference.

Digital tuner only, no analog reception.OTA Only,no QAM tuning.

Internal Power supply, no line lump! No DVI, but it is a sub-$100 box.
No RF passthrough nor internal modulator, which is not unusual with a lot of receivers.

Basically Operable from front panel if remote is lost or breaks.Remote is typical,small, low-end with small text buttons. Easily eaten by the couch.

SD output ONLY on 480i and 480p. No simultaneous SD output while in HD mode. Format buttons are on the remote near the bottom,so extremely easy to change accidentally and lose the picture. When using with an analog tv, this could cause joe6pack some problems.

CC works, has CC on Mute, which I really like.
Can't zoom a HD picture to 4x3 center cut. Limited aspect ratio control.

Upon direct entry channel change, will often get a flash of black in current channel before receiver tunes to the next channel.Pix quality is average,like with DVD players it's not hard to get a good digital picture these days.

EPG shows program title but not program description. Pretty fast too.

Does not support multiple audio pids. Digital SPDIF output does not work at all AC3 rates. 192k and below do not have digital output. Audio sometimes pops and stutters between channel changes.

Has Rs232 port, so should be upgradeable.

I did not notice any reception issues, but I'm in a good area with a rooftop antenna and get all the locals perfectly with ANY receiver I use. I don't have a silver sensor with me here at home to test with the unit. But, with a paperclip and clip lead,it does receive several of the closer stations just fine.
I will ask my contact what generation the tuner is.

I did hear back from Coby, they tell me they will pass any complaints or concerns on to the proper individuals.

IMHO, not a bad unit. I haven't had it lockup on me yet, unlike some other low-end receivers of the past.If you consider the price, and that it would probably be a lot cheaper at HHgregg, or on sale elsewhere I'd recommend it. Any other questions, ask.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #37 of 55 Old 10-20-2007, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the notes Bob.

I've been wanting to watch some OTA channels on my PJ, but didn't want to spend close to 200 for the Samsung.

Hope you'll post some more comments after you use the Coby some more.

I'll definitely be watching for a local sale on this puppy.

Thanks to all you brave early adopters. I need to see some positive reviews before I'll take the plunge.....Mike
post #38 of 55 Old 10-21-2007, 09:26 AM

In addition to my other comments, the following may be of some help:

1) I took it over to my friends house (who happens to have a newer Westinghouse so that we compare it to that built-in tuner, a Harman/Kardon receiver, and a roof antenna). *Many* more channels came in and stayed tuned at his place--so no problem with the tuner there. Those of us who have to make due with indoor antennas that may be in a bad location are just a little more screwed.
2) We could perceive no real difference in picture quality between the Coby and the built-in Westinghouse tuner. Both were utterly dependent on the source (several programs were of poor quality, even if they were broadcast in 720p).
3) We could not get the coax out working with his receiver either. His HK model is a few years old; my Sony is a couple years old--maybe something changed with the codecs. Video quality was much more important to both of us than audio (at least TV broadcasts), so we are fine with this. But if anyone can figure it out . . . We tried a 4 different channels (two 720, one 480i, and one 1080i) to be sure. If someone can figure this out . . . If my receiver is telling me there is a decoding problem (and the led indicates that) then something is coming out of the coax.
4) We watched college football over the Coby yesterday, and had no real complaints. Every so often (depending on the channel and signal), the signal would be lost and had to re-acquire. Or the picture would get blocky for a second. But I was prepared to accept this, as it seems to be a park of every non-cable option to one degree or another.
5) There is a guide (of sorts) that gives you some detail about current programing. Maybe this info is sent over the air with the program, but it seems to be received in such a fashion that the only channel that you can get info on is the one you are currently tuned to. So there is no real "TV guide" channel option--you have to tune to a channel, and then hit display to get a list of programs coming up. Cumbersome, but not sure if that is just Coby's design or not. I forgot to check that on my friend's Westinghouse.
6) Not sure I have figure out why it does this, but this unit defaults to 16:9 picture, not auto. I have a 16:9 screen, but there is a lot of material that comes over 4:3. When manually switch to auto in the menu, it sizes the material correctly (even if there are black lines, I think that is better than having everyone too wide). I would think that this change would persist across poweroff/on. But it does not. Perhaps if I set my TV to 4:3 mode on this input, it would work better. But I go through my AV receiver, and it switches my DVD and media player, too. Definitely want to leave 16:9 on the tv for that.
6) Still waiting to here back from One for All about codes to operate this thing on my universal remote.

In the end, I think I am going to keep it. It is a sub-$100 tuner option, and I can get 4-5 channels clearly if I tweak my antenna just right. If I can convince my landlord to let me hang an antenna out the window, I could probably pick up more (he is a stickler, though, and does not understand why I just do not bend over for Comcast anymore). I am still a little annoyed that there is no DVI out, but component has been fine.
post #39 of 55 Old 10-21-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esingollo View Post

5) There is a guide (of sorts) that gives you some detail about current programing. Maybe this info is sent over the air with the program, but it seems to be received in such a fashion that the only channel that you can get info on is the one you are currently tuned to. So there is no real "TV guide" channel option--you have to tune to a channel, and then hit display to get a list of programs coming up. Cumbersome, but not sure if that is just Coby's design or not.

This is part of the PSIP data stream that each channel sends out. In order to get the guide information for a station, the box has to be tuned to that station. Many other STBs can show the guide for several (or all) channels at once, so you can scroll through them. They have to tune to each channel in turn when you hit the "guide" button, which can be very slow. However, some STBs cache this data so if you call up the guide later, it appears very quickly, unless the data is old and needs to be refreshed.
post #40 of 55 Old 10-23-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I did hear back from the folks at Coby, who tell me the concerns will be passed on to the proper individuals. I'll keep you posted. A lot of manufacturers we contact are quite non-responsive to such concerns.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #41 of 55 Old 05-02-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody have updated information about this unit or a similar one? I am looking for an ATSC set-top box for my 47" Westinghouse monitor? Thanks.

fafner
post #42 of 55 Old 05-05-2009, 05:18 PM

I'm thinking about purchasing this for my 2002 HD ready TV.

There are currently almost no other units that are brand new available on the market.

I wonder how many people are like me - have HD ready TV, need a digital tuner to receive over the air broadcasting. It seems everyone else have either a digital TV with tuner or the old analog TV.
post #43 of 55 Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post

There are currently almost no other units that are brand new available on the market.

I wonder how many people are like me - have HD ready TV, need a digital tuner to receive over the air broadcasting. It seems everyone else have either a digital TV with tuner or the old analog TV.

I should think there are millions of HD Ready televisions out there in need of a digital tuner. I would expect a vast majority have yet to see only SD content through cable/satellite. Maybe some folks use a CECB to get OTA content. I bought the Samsung DTBH260F a few months back so that my HD Ready Toshiba can actually receive HD. It works great.

I suggest you look at the Centronics ZAT502. Currently backordered, it is priced under $100 USD and seems to have most of the features of the Samsung DTBH260F. Maybe in the interim you can attach a CECB with s-video output to your television? I should think the results would be nice, perhaps very nice (..but not great).

_Lazza
post #44 of 55 Old 05-09-2009, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I have 2 of them. A 50 inch Panasonic plasma HDTV monitor and a 30 inch Samsung HDTV with the old NTSC tuner in it. I bought the Samsung DTBH260F back in December so that my HD Ready Panasonic can actually receive HD. It works great. I hope it lasts because I don't plan on buying another TV in a long long time.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #45 of 55 Old 05-09-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:

I have an older Dell Plasma 50" with an integrated ATSC tuner. And the tuner is about to go out on me. So I am getting this Coby too. Bypassing the integrated TV tuner.

I bet there are folks like me too. Tuner dying/died. Cannot replace old integrated tuner.
post #46 of 55 Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 PM

OK - I have a really nice Sony HDTV (no DTV tuner) with many inputs, and nice Regan-era Sony standard TV, and a huge distaste for a $120 a month cable for Cox in AZ when all I am getting is re-runs, and the DVR is 'crappy'.

Disclosure - I have an EE degree from long ago; enough to be dangerous. GOAL: For now, OTA HDTV only.

Did all my research in June, 2009, when after telling Cox "F/U", my TV's stopped working. Bad planning, but nothing that Google and a credit card can not fix.

I looked EVERYWHERE. I would loved to buy a low cost brand named system with DVR, but not ready to spend that much, and availabilty is 'sketchy'. (?)

Research drove me to the Coby DTV-140 for a few reasons; HDTV tuner and outputs, and available on Amazon (which is reliable) for less than $80.

THEN - antennaweb.org showed that all my broadcast towers were in one place and 21 miles away. Most were UHF, but PBS, NBC, and FOX were still VHF at the time. PEOPLE NEED TO REALIZE THE DIFFERENCE, IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE IN RECEPTION AND ANTENNA!

I was LUCKY in 2 ways; I used to have Dish Network and the mounts and cable were still there but unconnected since chaning to Cox Cable. Given the co-location of broadcast towers (Thank you Antennaweb.org) - I could get a unidirectional antenna, but being an engineer I wanted to over engineer a solution. I went to Antennas Direct (via Amozon) and learned the difference / crossover between VHF and UHF. So, while my thoughts of a sexy "frisbee - like" indoor antenna were replaced by the same antenna Dad had on the roof in the 1960's, at least I had a mount and wiring and DIRECTION that were alll favorable. http://www.antennasdirect.com was where my antenna came from (via Amazon), and I ordered a V21 which was overkill at about $80 at Amazon, and a $25 "Mast Extender" which raised in another three feet. Next time I would order direct from them, but no complaints using Amazon. OK - the V21 is HUGE - 11 feet across, but I think I got the Space Shuttle flushing noise the other day :-) Seriously - unless you are living close to the broadcast tower, invest in the ANTENNA first. BTW - you will finally get ALL the FM Radio stanions if you have not already.

The upstarairs TV (an old but good Sony 480i 19 inch analog TV) was more of a problem. There are 2 inputs: Antenna, and Composite Video/Audio. I THINK I MADE A MISTAKE HERE. The Coby has one input - antenna. Output - everything from composite video to DVI. OK, so the first 'input' to the old TV was composite video from the Colby tuner. The second input needed an anolog input from the antenna, but of course we know that's only possible using a device from the Carter years calld a 'modulator'. I swear that I have a small modulator somewhere, but it turns out I had two - but they are called "VCRs". Some of you may have read about them on Wikipedia. So - Composite Video output from DVD Player goes to the VCR, and then the output is ANTENNA OUT TO TV and you are set. Yes - HDTV - no. But I am just happy to get signal. I should have gotten a standard converter box.

The Colby DTV-140 is not a bad unit, especially for $70 from Amazon. It is a true HDTV-Tuner; component, DVI, SVGA, etc outputs. NO ANTENNA THROUGHPUT (see above). Small and un-readable and not supported by universal remote codes. Swiching modes is (480i to 720p, etc) is supposed to be automatic. Works great on my Sony HDTV, but my old Sony 19 has problems adjusting; I did do not think it is the tuner but the broadcast signal. Think about the market. If you were Sony - would you makproduct for a market that was about three years old before they mandadated dtv tuners?

REMOTE CONTROL: The remote for the Colby DTV is a joke; while performing mostly well, it occasionally gets confused, and without a flashlight and magnifying glass you are not sure which key you are hitting. Add to that the Universal remote I had for the Sony had no codes for the Colby DTV-140, and for that matter hours on Google had no answers. I broke down after discovering that a new Sony Universal LEARNING remote (RM-VL600) was about $25 and on the shelf at Best Buy! Works great and picked up the Sony TVs by default, entered codes for my Panasonic and Samsung DVDs, and 'learned' the extra keys for the units and accepted the entire Coby Remote Control set. Seriosly - I have two remotes that I use. The only problem is when the upstairs remote winds up downstairs :-)

RECOMMENDATIONS:

1) The Colby DTV-140 is a good choce.
2) Go to antennaweb.org and get the biggest antenna you can; you will regret getting something small. It's like using dial-up vs. broadband for the Internet.
3) Get a new Universal Remote. For about $25 you can get the RM-VL600 that will operate anything (except your wireless BOSE systems).
4) Make sure you understand all your options on your TVs.

So - for about $260 I avoid a $120 monthly bill for cable in 2 rooms which I don't watch much since everything is re-runs, and I have 300 DVDs. You can spend more and get tuners with a recorder, and there are other good options from major Manufacturers, but this is my comprehensive, exhaustively tested, and overly long but comprehensive user experience! Dan
post #47 of 55 Old 07-05-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

At 21 miles from the towers and all in the same direction, "the biggest antenna you can" would be overkill. Indoor may even work fine. If not, an inexpensive outdoor V/U antenna would be a plenty of antenna in the majority of markets where VHF HI & UHF are being used.
post #48 of 55 Old 07-05-2009, 01:04 PM

1) I was having trouble with one channel at the same location, but it turned out I have some internal wiring problems resulting in signal loss. These are otherwise know as 'cats' that like to chew. Overkill in this case mitigated 'bad kitty'.

2) I saw lots of sexy indoor and outdoor antennas which I would have loved. However - in this case I had the space that is invisible from the ground, a mount and cable already in place, and a direct shot to the towers.

3) Most of important, you are making one mistake in your analysis: You are using logic. It IS overkill and I am quite proud of it, the research I did based on a wide frequency range, and using some of the stuff earning a BSEE 30 years ago.

Attached is a picture; sure - it's not pretty, but it fit perfectly, and it was easy to put in (here in Arizona it's 105 degrees. It was fun.....

But you are correct!
post #49 of 55 Old 07-05-2009, 01:09 PM

As I said - not pretty, but fit perfectly and you can only see it from one window in the house......
LL
post #50 of 55 Old 07-05-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Topics merged.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #51 of 55 Old 08-05-2009, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but MCM has this box for $60.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #52 of 55 Old 08-20-2009, 04:52 AM

Liked: 11
FYI, there is also this box available from Tiger Direct for $59.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...y=SA290-Q%20LE
ALSO the DTV Pal DVR is still available from either Sears for $299 or this company for $244.95 http://www.digitalstar.com/product/DTVPal-DVR.aspx

gracz
post #53 of 55 Old 08-20-2009, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracz View Post

FYI, there is also this box available from Tiger Direct for $59.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...y=SA290-Q%20LE
ALSO the DTV Pal DVR is still available from either Sears for $299 or this company for $244.95 http://www.digitalstar.com/product/DTVPal-DVR.aspx

This topic is for the Coby. The other units have, or should have, their own topic.

Also, there is the synopsis topic for HD STB's at the top of this forum, which has all the HD STB's: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=179095

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #54 of 55 Old 02-19-2012, 05:27 PM

just got one of these off of Craigslist with a Sony WEGA TV. problem is that the remote absolutely refuses to function - tried two new sets of batteries.

any ideas on how to fix? also, Coby's website says that no universal remotes will work with their converter boxes - you need the original remotes. this seems hard to believe to me, but could be true.
post #55 of 55 Old 02-20-2012, 07:38 PM

Liked: 11
I just checked my Harmony Remote software, and the Coby DTV-140 is listed as a model they will control.
Normally Harmony remotes are pretty expensive, but right now the basic Harmony is on sale at Tiger Direct for $19.99 for an open box, or $29.99 for a new one. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...939&CatId=5686

If you have not experienced a Harmony Remote control, they are the best.
You can set it up on your computer (USB), and do complex multi device multi button operations with just one button push.

gracz
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page