Why HD channels won't show up on Samsung? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 08-06-2007, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a 26' Samsung LCD (LN-S2652D) and my brother just bought an Insignia (NS-LCD32). When he plugged his tv into our cable system he picks up multiple HD channels, I on the other hand can't seem to pick any of them up. Any ideas... we live in the same house and no he isn't using an off are antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

did you go through the menu and have the tv scan for ota channels? if your menu is similar to my lns4695, menu, channel, antenna, and auto program.
post #3 of 25 Old 08-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

ooops, i may have misread your post. you mentioned no ota channels.
post #4 of 25 Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezycheech View Post

did you go through the menu and have the tv scan for ota channels? if your menu is similar to my lns4695, menu, channel, antenna, and auto program.

Only think you can do is go to "cable, air, or cable + air" and then if you pick one of the cable options "STD, HRC, or IRC". I tried all and nothing. I called Samsung and they said Samsung sets require a very strong signal, it's just hard for me to believe that the Insignia pulls a stronger signal then a Samsung.
post #5 of 25 Old 08-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Not all TVs have QAM tuners, which is what you need to pull in an HD cable signal. The Insignia has one, your Samsung doesn't. I'm in the same boat
post #6 of 25 Old 08-06-2007, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you try manually entering the channels #'s after your scan? Some QAM tuners will pick them up upon scanning, but then they wont tune them without manually entering the channel #. Prob a stretch, but I had a Westinghouse that only worked by manually entering the channel #'s after scanning..
post #7 of 25 Old 08-06-2007, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_P View Post

Not all TVs have QAM tuners, which is what you need to pull in an HD cable signal. The Insignia has one, your Samsung doesn't. I'm in the same boat

Really sucks that a much cheaper TV actually has better features... and yes I tried to manually type it in and it didn't work
post #8 of 25 Old 08-06-2007, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Can you buy a QAM tuner?
post #9 of 25 Old 08-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foote_21 View Post

Can you buy a QAM tuner?

I don't know... I am trying to find that out right now.
post #10 of 25 Old 08-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Actually it looks like this one might work:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DTBH26...6458047&sr=8-1

It doesn't say anything about QAM there, but perusing the manual on Samsung's website, it looks like it will decode free QAM channels:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...&cttID=1176264
post #11 of 25 Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually it looks like this one might work:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DTBH26...6458047&sr=8-1

It doesn't say anything about QAM there, but perusing the manual on Samsung's website, it looks like it will decode free QAM channels:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...&cttID=1176264

Your link doesn't work but I assume that is for the DTB-H260F and it does indeed have a QAM tuner. When Samsung says that it "needs a strong signal" they mean no cable splitters....run it directly from the wall and you should pick up all unscrambled channels available. I'm using that Samsung now and it is the best (5th gen tuner) at picking up OTA digital of any box that I've tried.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #12 of 25 Old 08-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

I'm going to go pick up that receiver from Best Buy today, I'll report back here with how it works for QAM.
post #13 of 25 Old 08-07-2007, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm going to go pick up that receiver from Best Buy today, I'll report back here with how it works for QAM.

If you check on the H260F thread in the hardware reception forum, it is very well known how it works for QAM: ok, not great. The Samsung DTB-H260F is sold as an ATSC over the air receiver with a QAM capability more or less thrown in. The H260F is a very good OTA tuner. The H260F does go up to QAM channel 135, unlike the previous generation SIR-T451 which only went up to 125. You should only count on it finding the local broadcast stations and local access channels in the clear. The national HD and SD channels are usually scrambled. Some times they will be left in the clear after a channel re-alignment, but then a few weeks later, the cable company turns on the encryption. if you really want to get HD and digital SD channels from the cable company, rent a cable box OR get a STB or TivoHD or TV with cablecard slots.
post #14 of 25 Old 08-07-2007, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Are you getting SDTV cable channels? If so, then your Samsung set is picking up QAM.

But, some systems put the HDTV on channels 100 and above. Some Samsung boxes don't scan those channels, so I assume their TV's might not either. So, try entering each channel number, 100, 101, 102,.....and see if you get anything.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #15 of 25 Old 08-07-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

Are you getting SDTV cable channels? If so, then your Samsung set is picking up QAM.

But, some systems put the HDTV on channels 100 and above. Some Samsung boxes don't scan those channels, so I assume their TV's might not either. So, try entering each channel number, 100, 101, 102,.....and see if you get anything.

My Samsung scans to 135 and picks up nothing... my brother's Insignia picks up CBS and FOX HD on channels 14-1 and 16-1... so it's not a problem of them being to high on the scale
post #16 of 25 Old 08-07-2007, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

Your link doesn't work but I assume that is for the DTB-H260F and it does indeed have a QAM tuner. When Samsung says that it "needs a strong signal" they mean no cable splitters....run it directly from the wall and you should pick up all unscrambled channels available. I'm using that Samsung now and it is the best (5th gen tuner) at picking up OTA digital of any box that I've tried.

I have it plugged straight into the tv... I don't have the tuner yet... Samsung said the tv its self needed the stronger signal
post #17 of 25 Old 08-07-2007, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

My cable company does not actually offer a HD package with any type with a cable box... so looks like my only option is to buy the tuner... but at $180 at Best Buy, I'll just keep waiting
post #18 of 25 Old 08-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

If you check on the H260F thread in the hardware reception forum, it is very well known how it works for QAM: ok, not great. The Samsung DTB-H260F is sold as an ATSC over the air receiver with a QAM capability more or less thrown in. The H260F is a very good OTA tuner. The H260F does go up to QAM channel 135, unlike the previous generation SIR-T451 which only went up to 125. You should only count on it finding the local broadcast stations and local access channels in the clear. The national HD and SD channels are usually scrambled. Some times they will be left in the clear after a channel re-alignment, but then a few weeks later, the cable company turns on the encryption. if you really want to get HD and digital SD channels from the cable company, rent a cable box OR get a STB or TivoHD or TV with cablecard slots.

Thanks. What you said is pretty much true: I get the locals in HD plus one extra station, TNT HD. All I really care about is the locals, so I'm not sure whether I'll keep it or if I'll end up getting the HD DVR from Comcast.
post #19 of 25 Old 11-06-2007, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks. What you said is pretty much true: I get the locals in HD plus one extra station, TNT HD. All I really care about is the locals, so I'm not sure whether I'll keep it or if I'll end up getting the HD DVR from Comcast.

Hi,
I'm a new one here. After reading some thread on this forum and I decided to give it a shot. I bought this Samsung DTB-H260F from CC on last Sat. and I could not get any channel from my basic digital Comcast cable at all. I also tried to have a look on signal strength and what I got was notthing, no sinal?????
Any experts are able to help out?? Or I have to return to CC.

Thanks in advanve for your help,
CD

Pana 60ST60, Onkyo TX-NR3009, OPPO BDP-103, Klipsch WF-35, Klipsch WS-24, Klipsch WC-24, Klipsch Reference RW-12d, BIC America DV62si.
post #20 of 25 Old 11-06-2007, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 14
Please post in the HDTV Reception Forum.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #21 of 25 Old 11-06-2007, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

This may be a little late for this, but obviously your TV does NOT have an ATSC tuner in it. You will not be able to pick up digital channels (including HD channels) with your tv, only analog as it just has an NTSC tuner.

You will need to purchase an ATSC tuner STB for this to receive over-the-air broadcasts.
post #22 of 25 Old 11-06-2007, 07:43 PM

I think I have the same tv as BryanP, the 26" Sammy, 2006 model I think. Anyway, though I think you are getting the HD channels now, you had to let it autoscan the "air", or it wouldn't pick them up. I know, strange. Also, turn on LNA amp, or you still won't get them.
post #23 of 25 Old 11-07-2007, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 178
That Samsung tuner is digital only and has no display on the front panel. The Prime has both for the same price;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=638769

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #24 of 25 Old 01-03-2009, 10:44 PM

I did the autoscan on "air" and my new 26" Insignia 720p picked up 7 digital channels (from an antenna) when the "catv" did not pick up any digital channels.

Glad that I ran across this post!
post #25 of 25 Old 01-04-2009, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 178
What CATV 'digital' channels are 'in the clear' in your area?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page