Best way to connect an HDTV antenna and cable simultaneously? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2007, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This topic was probably covered somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. I have an Olevia 232v and am planning on buying an OTA HDTV antenna for my dorm room. My school used to use Comcast so I got all of the local HD channels with the QAM tuner, but now they have recently switched to Campus Televideo which is satellite programming, and of course my school didn't opt to get the HD package. I'm going to want to have both the satellite and antenna connected at the same time. What is the best (aka cheapest) way of doing this? I don't want to have to do the auto search for satellite channels and then have to unplug the satellite, plug in the antenna and do the auto search for OTA again every time I have to switch back and forth. Is it possible to use a cable switcher or something so that I can receive the OTA and satellite channels simultaneously? I have read that I can buy an HDTV receiver and connect the antenna to that and connect to the TV over component, but I would rather not have to do all that if I don't have to.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sounds like your school it receiving it's signals via satellite and converting them to standard analog channels that your TV's tuner can pick up, if that's the case, your only options if your TV has one input it to use an A/B switch which may or may not cause you need to rescan every time depending on your TV or buy another tuner, there is no way to combine the two signals.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Look for a cheap VCR or a DVD recorder with an NTSC cable tuner to get your cable channels and use the Olevia's built in ATSC tuner to get the OTA HDTV signals.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
Old 08-12-2007, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Alright thanks, I'll try the a/b switch but I doubt it will allow me to not have to rescan the channels. I totally forgot that VCR's have tuners, I think I have an old one lying around somewhere. I haven't used a VCR in years haha.