post #61 of 89 Old 08-10-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post

I think I'm going to call Sony about this. The BIVL software seems to have some kind of memory leak in it since it gets slower and slower then longer it's been up. Eventually it just reboots itself and the process repeats.

Why not just power cycle the box every so often to reset it?

Do you feel optimistic about being able to speak with someone at Sony who knows what a "memory leak" is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 Old 08-11-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

Why not just power cycle the box every so often to reset it?

Do you feel optimistic about being able to speak with someone at Sony who knows what a "memory leak" is?

I don't need to do that since the box power cycles itself.

Sony may not know what a "memory leak" is, but they should be able to get the drift based on my description.

Personally I don't think they are really up on supporting the BIVL in the U.S. Their web site seems to have been partially constructed and then never finished and there are features listed in the manual, that don't exist in the BIVL. It would also be nice if the US version could run applications like the Japan version can.
post #63 of 89 Old 08-11-2009, 04:36 PM

Cool
post #64 of 89 Old 08-14-2009, 10:18 AM

I'm only luke warm on this piece of gear as it came with a tv bundle that I purchased for a great price... Had the TV now for 10 months and haven't yet set up this bravia link. One question that I did have is I wanted to be able to run the video and audio through my AVR that has HDMI switching, but it appears that I will need to attache it to the TV and only be able to use it through the tv xmb rather than the xmb on my AVR... does this make sense? Thanks.
post #65 of 89 Old 08-15-2009, 09:38 AM

It seems to sense what HDMI port it is connected to since when I change the HDMI port it's connected to, it automatically figures it out on it's own. As such I think it can only be used by being directly connected to the TV. You could try running it through an AVR, but since there's no 5.1 audio as far as I can tell, it's probably not worth it.

Since Amazon HD on the roku box now has 5.1 audio, I'm hoping that the BIVL might add it. I'm not holding my breath though.

On a side note, I think they added another channel or two on the BIVL. I don't remember "MyPlay" being there the last time I checked. They disable "DailyMotion" though (it never worked anyway).

Finally they slightly optimized the "OPTIONS" menus. They now moved all the different items that used to be in the menu into a "Categories" sub menu. It makes the OPTIONS menu a bit more useful. Now if they'd only add the "Save Link" option that the manual says is already there.

That and update the videos.
post #66 of 89 Old 08-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb_0321 View Post

I'm only luke warm on this piece of gear as it came with a tv bundle that I purchased for a great price... Had the TV now for 10 months and haven't yet set up this bravia link. One question that I did have is I wanted to be able to run the video and audio through my AVR that has HDMI switching, but it appears that I will need to attache it to the TV and only be able to use it through the tv xmb rather than the xmb on my AVR... does this make sense? Thanks.

I got around this by using the audio out jacks on my XBR into my receiver Aux input. Sounds pretty good actually. It would have been nice if Sony would have provided a better input/output strategy.
post #67 of 89 Old 08-31-2009, 06:25 PM

Has anyone been able to recently get this hidden page to work? I received a BIVL with a TV purchase, and would like to be able to add my chosen content. The PC to TV software seems set up correctly, and the website recognizes my BIVL unit. Links I create via PC to TV show up on my BIVL, although they report a "Network Error" The built in links all function fine.

I'd like to see if the hidden page functions any differently, but when I replace the EditBookmarks with NewBookmark, the web page reports back that the template is not available.

The URL from my browser is;

//internet.sony.tv/customer/template/bookmarks,EditBookmarks.vm/sn/xxxxxxx/pc/xxxxxxxx/pp/bookmarks,ViewBookmarks.vm/di/1?lang=en

I assume the EditBookmarks, in bold is what should be replaced with NewBookmark.

Anyone had success, or suggestions?

I am attached to my wireless network with a Linksys print server, which has 4 ports, and functions as a wireless bridge. This also connects my BlueRay player, and Dish Network DVR, which all work fine.

Thanks,

Kyle
post #68 of 89 Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 AM

The new bookmark link still works for me. Make sure you use "NewBookmark" and not "NewBookmarks".
post #69 of 89 Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 PM

There's now an menu item under Video that allows searching for videos. It searches all videos except Amazon and YouTube.

There's also an activation menu under Network, which allows easier activation.

Finally the http://internet.sony.tv site has been updated.
post #70 of 89 Old 09-26-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylarse View Post

Has anyone been able to recently get this hidden page to work? I received a BIVL with a TV purchase, and would like to be able to add my chosen content. The PC to TV software seems set up correctly, and the website recognizes my BIVL unit. Links I create via PC to TV show up on my BIVL, although they report a "Network Error" The built in links all function fine.

I'd like to see if the hidden page functions any differently, but when I replace the EditBookmarks with NewBookmark, the web page reports back that the template is not available.

The URL from my browser is;

//internet.sony.tv/customer/template/bookmarks,EditBookmarks.vm/sn/xxxxxxx/pc/xxxxxxxx/pp/bookmarks,ViewBookmarks.vm/di/1?lang=en

I assume the EditBookmarks, in bold is what should be replaced with NewBookmark.

Anyone had success, or suggestions?

I am attached to my wireless network with a Linksys print server, which has 4 ports, and functions as a wireless bridge. This also connects my BlueRay player, and Dish Network DVR, which all work fine.

Thanks,

Kyle

I'm having same issue. Links go to unit and look OK - except for that fact (in my case) there is NO thumbnail photo which makes me suspicious. Before I found the information on installation myself I wrote SONY and they replied that this was in beta and would not provide details on using (though it's in manual). Have you (anyone?) resolved the 'Network Error" issue. I've tried both IE and FF plug-ins.
post #71 of 89 Old 09-26-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrith View Post

A picture of the page to add videos, with the info about what formats it accepts. BTW, in practice the 5 minutes appeared to be instant, or nearly so. (No longer than the time it took for me to walk downstairs to my TV.)

Am I missing something? Cannot find url. Is it posted elsewhere> Thanks!
post #72 of 89 Old 09-26-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampbell100 View Post

Am I missing something? Cannot find url. Is it posted elsewhere> Thanks!

It's been posted a few times already (one in the post you quoted above). The easiest way to get to the page is to log in to https://internet.sony.tv and click "View Video Links" and then View "Links".

The URL of the page that comes up should start with https://internet.sony.tv/customer/template/bookmarks%2CEditBookmarks.vm/....

Simply change the "EditBookmarks" in the URL to "NewBookmark". You can then bookmark the page that comes up.
post #73 of 89 Old 11-19-2009, 08:22 AM

I just posted this in the DMX-NV1 thread. It should be of interest to folks here, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarsAntone View Post

Netflix went online in the DMX-NV1 (BIVL) last week! It's a nice addition. With over 300 titles in my instant queue, it's a little cumbersome to slog through the list 24 at a time, but it works.

Also, Sony will be offering a (free?) stream on the BIVL of its movie "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" between Thanksgiving and New Years Day. This is being offered before the DVD is released. A nice perq for us early adopters.

There's been an addition in the audio section on the BIVL. In addition to Slacker, the list of audio content now includes access to hundreds of NPR podcasts.

post #74 of 89 Old 12-18-2009, 07:15 PM

Everything was working fine, including Netflix streaming, Amazon VOD. Had to disconnect for a day. Usually when I reconnect the BVLink it comes back up except tonight. I've rechecked everything (ethernet cable OK, reset default settings, Device info says network link status ok, provisioning server status OK.). I've disconnected powercords, all related cables to no avail.

I tried calling Sony support (evening PST) of course offices closed.

The Video Link keeps trying to reconfigure then gives me "configuration failed while connecting. The service cannot be accessed at this time because the server replied with incorrect or invalid information." Looks like it's stuck in a loop.

Any thing else I could try besides standing on my head?

Update: well, I reread some documentation (owner's doc or an FAQ) to unplug the power unit from the outlet (which I didn't do, I just unplugged the power cord to the BVL). Now everything is up and running. I'm no electrician, but why does unplugging the power adapter from the outlet affect the resetting of the BVL unit? Does something get discharged through the cord lines when this is done?
post #75 of 89 Old 12-19-2009, 04:59 AM

I was getting the same error messages last night (12/18/2009) and also was not able to get on the Essentials web site. About 10:45 pm EST it all came back and I did not unplug anything. I have two BVLs and I did reset/unplug one of them and that did not help. As the error message said the server was not responding. Maybe that is all it was - server was down. ????? Another one of the Great Mysteries of the Universe.
post #76 of 89 Old 12-19-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder63 View Post

I was getting the same error messages last night (12/18/2009) and also was not able to get on the Essentials web site. About 10:45 pm EST it all came back and I did not unplug anything. I have two BVLs and I did reset/unplug one of them and that did not help. As the error message said the server was not responding. Maybe that is all it was - server was down. ????? Another one of the Great Mysteries of the Universe.

Ah, then likely it was a Sony server issue than anything on our end. Thanks for feedback.
post #77 of 89 Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 AM

Has anyone else noticed that the "My Video Links" icon (heart shape) is missing from the XBR Video menu? My Video Links is where links to your bookmarked videos are kept. It used to be near the top near the YouTube icon but now it's gone. So there's no way to get to the videos bookmarked with "Send From PC to TV". It's been a few months since I've used that feature so I don't know exactly when it went missing.
post #78 of 89 Old 01-13-2010, 11:39 AM

The "My Video Links" area was where you were supposed to be able to see links you saved from the different "channels". That feature never worked (or more specifically it didn't exist). It doesn't surprise me that they removed the "My Video Links" channel since it didn't work. I believe the Search icon replaced it, but I would have preferred if bookmarking actually worked.

Strangely enough the option to enable the "Send From PC to TV" feature still exists, despite the fact that the "Send From PC to TV" add-ons is pretty much broken.
post #79 of 89 Old 01-13-2010, 05:08 PM

I emailed Sony about it but don't expect anything to come of it. But since everything else about "Send From PC to TV" still works as before (starting, stopping, pausing, bookmarking), why would they bother to delete the menu item that lets you watch them? That makes no sense to me. It would be nice if they would publish a road map of what they have planned for the BIVL in the future. Assuming they have a plan. Which I doubt since they seem to be winging it day to day.

My favorite feature is the Amazon VOD. I've had really good experiences with that until about a month ago when the movies stopped coming over in full screen (even though I have plenty of bandwidth). Maybe I'll sign up for the NetFlix free trial and see how that compares.
post #80 of 89 Old 01-14-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi Pawb View Post

My favorite feature is the Amazon VOD. I've had really good experiences with that until about a month ago when the movies stopped coming over in full screen (even though I have plenty of bandwidth). Maybe I'll sign up for the NetFlix free trial and see how that compares.

You can increase the screen size by pressing the up arrow.

I've been having an issue an issue with Amazon though lately where it won't stream anything in HD even though I have plenty of bandwidth and Netflix streams fine in HD (as do other channels). I can't get speeds faster than around 3500 kbps with Amazon, while I can get around 10000 kbps with Netflix and Yahoo. I get great speeds from Amazon with my PC and TiVo, but not with the BIVL.

I'm not sure when it started though since the last time I tried Amazon prior to last week was back in October. It was working fine then, but there was a firmware update since then.

I called Amazon who could confirm that streaming to PC was around 6 mbps, but the BIVL was only around 2 mbps. They're going to look into it, but I don't expect much.
post #81 of 89 Old 01-15-2010, 11:31 AM

According to Sony's COO, the BIVL service is coming to the PS3.
post #82 of 89 Old 03-20-2010, 12:12 PM

The SendFromPC2TV functionality has completely disappeared from my set now. After Sony removed the "My Video Links" option from the XBR menu, I could still play videos from the web browser context menu even though I couldn't bookmark them. Now that doesn't work either. I suspect I lost it when I recently upgraded the TV and BIVL to the latest software versions. (I'm running BIVL SW version 1.2.5). I port scanned the TV and verified the BIVL web server isn't running. Enabling it in the TV setup makes no difference. Argh!
post #83 of 89 Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 PM

I found that 1.2.5 broke the ability to playback Amazon videos in HD. During the speed test, the BIVL simply won't register a download speed > 3 mbps (despite my 12 mbps Internet connection) so it results to playing all Amazon videos in SD regardless if they are HD or not. Netflix HD still works fine. Also every now and then the BIVL box stops working and I need to reboot it.

Overall I regret getting the BIVL. Despite the convenience of using the TV remote to control everything, a Roku box would have been cheaper and faster. As it is now I simply use my TiVo or PS3 for Netflix/Amazon.
post #84 of 89 Old 10-10-2010, 11:24 PM

I just purchased a DMX-NV1 "new and sealed" on eBay. It should be here in a couple of days.

Assuming it truly is "mint", is there a way to get a copy of the OS currently on the BIVL (and reload it later) before I connect it up and it updates?

Can I get another image after it updates?
post #85 of 89 Old 10-11-2010, 05:39 AM

It will automatically update itself. There's no way that I know of of backing up the current software. You need the latest software to run Netflix.
post #86 of 89 Old 09-10-2011, 11:20 AM

Are there still other users of this device?
I still have it with software 1.2.5, and mine seems to reboot randomly from time to time, which very annoyingly, interrupts its HDMI passthrough.

Found this recently:
In video player, 7 8 9 on the remote brings up service mode and Linux information.
Code also has effect on the "device information" page.
post #87 of 89 Old 09-12-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asi7 View Post

Are there still other users of this device?
I still have it with software 1.2.5, and mine seems to reboot randomly from time to time, which very annoyingly, interrupts its HDMI passthrough.

Found this recently:
In video player, 7 8 9 on the remote brings up service mode and Linux information.
Code also has effect on the "device information" page.

I use mine all the time (a DMX-NV1 attached to a Sony KDS-55A3000). No rebooting in my case.
post #88 of 89 Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 PM

Hello, old thread!

Hoping to use it for Amazon Instant Video, I bought one of these, new in box to go with my 4 year-old KDL-40XBR4 but it won't come up all the way. When it goes through the startup sequence it doesn't seem to think there are any software updates available (it's still on version 1.0.7 even though it should be updating to 1.2.5) and ends up with a "server returned -205" error. I've been through three levels of support with Sony and they even sent me a new unit, same software version, same exact symptoms. The Sony kb article referencing this error says to put the BIVL's IP address in your router's DMZ, so I've tried connecting directly to my cable modem (Motorola SB6121) but still no dice...

I've even gone so far as setting up a Charles proxy to intercept the http traffic to the server and I can see it making the requests for software update versions, and trying to download services, but it spits out the -205 error right after loading up all the .png icons for the various services (Amazon, Netflix, etc.) I tried the 7 8 9 sequence in the device information screen, hoping to tickle it into showing me something new, but that didn't do anything (7 8 9 enter? 7 8 9 select button?)

I'm about to give up and just go buy a Roku but I'm stubborn and really want to make this bugger work. Any ideas?
post #89 of 89 Old 10-12-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwatson View Post

Hello, old thread!
Hoping to use it for Amazon Instant Video, I bought one of these, new in box to go with my 4 year-old KDL-40XBR4 but it won't come up all the way. When it goes through the startup sequence it doesn't seem to think there are any software updates available (it's still on version 1.0.7 even though it should be updating to 1.2.5) and ends up with a "server returned -205" error. I've been through three levels of support with Sony and they even sent me a new unit, same software version, same exact symptoms. The Sony kb article referencing this error says to put the BIVL's IP address in your router's DMZ, so I've tried connecting directly to my cable modem (Motorola SB6121) but still no dice...
I've even gone so far as setting up a Charles proxy to intercept the http traffic to the server and I can see it making the requests for software update versions, and trying to download services, but it spits out the -205 error right after loading up all the .png icons for the various services (Amazon, Netflix, etc.) I tried the 7 8 9 sequence in the device information screen, hoping to tickle it into showing me something new, but that didn't do anything (7 8 9 enter? 7 8 9 select button?)
I'm about to give up and just go buy a Roku but I'm stubborn and really want to make this bugger work. Any ideas?

My advice is return it and buy a Roku.  You'll be happier as it's a lot faster and has more features.  Granted you'll need to use an HDMI port for it and it has it's own remote, but it's infinitely better than the pretty much unsupported BIVL.  Also if you ever get a new TV, you can move the Roku over to it.  My BIVL actually died after about 13 months (1 month out of warranty) and I never bothered to replace it.

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page